Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    They tried and look what happened. Engi/BS everywhere.

Tailoring/Engineering look balanced on paper. Their PvE DPS contributions probably math out to be equal on theoretical level. What happened was an unpredictable trinket/CD/proc stacking meta developed which focuses on massive burst periods and comparatively low sustain periods. So now the Engi bonus, which can be controlled and always put inside this burst window, is much better than a random proc which may not occur when you want it. It's very hard to predict these type of things, so I guess they decided better to just remove them entirely.

Quote Originally Posted by Prometheous View Post
    I disagree with this. Just balance the abilities to give similar benefits in pve and you're set.
    The only way to really balance everything so we know for certain, is to have the same buff from each profession.. and that equals to: if everything gives x int/agi/str, it's as good as the bonuses not existing to begin with.
    Last edited by mrgreenthump; 2014-09-26 at 08:57 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    I've played with Leatherworking and Skinning since beta, I am not gonna change that anytime in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by mrgreenthump View Post
    The only way to really balance everythign so we know certain is to have the same buff from each profession and that equals to: if everything gives x int/agi/str, it's as good as the bonuses not existing to begin with.
    That would seem to be too difficult to do since professions like Engineering or Tailoring that have a proc/on use effect that gives you your +primary stat. I suppose they could 'fix' this by making EVERY profession give a static amount of +primary stat (also taking into account the advantage that BS and JC has over say enchanting, i can not put +mastery on my rings but BS and Jewelcrafters can get a bonus amount of a secondary stat).

So yeah, i suppose they could leave profession bonuses in the game but only if every profession was allowed to do the very same thing, which would be to add +X of whatever statistic to certain items. For example, a Blacksmith can enchant their bracers and gloves with +X amount of a primary OR secondary stat, while an enchanter can do the very same thing to their rings. Either way it doesnt really matter, if things were all equal then it would be the same as getting no bonus from your chosen profession since everyone would either have bonus stat professions or they wouldn't (like Blizz plans to do in WoD).

Moreorless what they're doing with professions is exactly what I'd like done with racials (but it's off the table)

Quote Originally Posted by Pyromelter View Post
    As a massive goblin auctioneer type, I just want to say naaaaaaaaaah, don't go Inscription. >DDD

To Shangalar, I find it odd that you don't min/max professions. The culture of wow is built around min/maxing. I mean... min/maxing is part of the meta aspect of wow, it's why we go to forums and try to figure stuff out, to bleed that last drop of dps with everything we've got. I find it curious you made a conscious decision that runs counter to accepted wow practices. Curious... not in a good or a bad way, just curious. Like I always feel wow is a game for min/maxers, I always felt like people who have that type of non min/max outlook would not enjoy wow.
    while I agree with you that we try to squeeze every ounce of stats for min/maxing purposes to increase dps, profession choices should never have an effect on said min/maxing.

There is a reason why blizzard is doing the item/stat squish. It stupid reasons like this that they can think of just to throw more numbers our way just for the sake of giving us more stats.

Deleted
    Professions barely matter at all in WoD in regards to raiding. You'll want the professions your guild needs.

If your guild doesn't really need a specific one (like inscription to spam out as many darkmoon cards as possible to get your entire guild a deck in the first week) then tailoring + engineering is probably best. Engineering for some useful tools, tailoring for not being dependant on other people for craftable epics. (Though they're not efficient to get at all, and if you're high end raider you probably won't finish one until after a lot of progress is done)

Swap out either of them for any gold making professions if the above aren't important for you. If you want the "easy" approach just go for gathering proffesions like herbing+mining. If you want to deal with the AH a fair bit and like ore shuffling for money for example, go for enchanting + jewelcrafting.

If you care about your performance until WoD, tailoring + engineering are the best DPS professions for those couple of weeks. (Both double dip their bonuses with alter time, and burst bonuses > sustained bonuses simply due to how stacking damage bonuses is better than spreading them.
    Last edited by mmoc130aeee1c6; 2014-09-26 at 06:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by quicknthedead View Post
    while I agree with you that we try to squeeze every ounce of stats for min/maxing purposes to increase dps, profession choices should never have an effect on said min/maxing.

There is a reason why blizzard is doing the item/stat squish. It stupid reasons like this that they can think of just to throw more numbers our way just for the sake of giving us more stats.
    Profession choices have always mattered since... BC I think it was? I know Wrath added some reasons to professions, but since BC there was always a reason to max your professions. BS providing 2 gems has been the best for quite awhile due to being so damn flexible, but still being in line with other professions's bonus AMOUNT.

WoD won't really have min-maxing for DPS/Combat value, but you can still get the most bang for your buck. I personally am ENG/Alch atm simply because I love having conveniences that ENG gives me (even if a lot of them will be non-ENGable [might drop it later for Tailoring or something]), and having the luxury of making my own flasks. However, with the new small plots from the Garrisons that can make you just about anything you'll need, pretty much everyone and their mother will have the ability to Enchant/Disenchant and have access to one other profession. Below, you will find the lists from the beta on what the small plots give you access to (PS: Enchanting gives access to Disenchanting at your garrison and all professions have a Work Order to get their specific material)

So honestly, I'm not really sure. Some professions won't benefit us at all (LW/BS), some will benefit us (Tailor/Scribe), and some benefit everyone (Alch/Ench/JC [ENG being the weird misfit of the 3 categories]). It will mostly come down to personal flavor and what each profession benefits you get that will decide everyone's professions because some do have some benefits still remaining, such as Tailoring obtaining bonus cloth from mobs and Alchemy's Mixology still being in game (though it currently doesn't work on the beta, it's still in the game's tooltips)

I'll end it with this: Pick what you want since it's not too big a deal anymore. Every profession now has a daily cooldown and a small plot work order to go with it. Look below to see what you can craft from the garrison plot and if that plot will be enough to you, then don't pick it as a main profession.

(Picture below in link form) [Because I know it's kinda big!]

TL;DR: Do what you want with professions, it's not that big a deal anymore.
    Last edited by Polarthief; 2014-09-26 at 09:52 AM.
    Still wondering why I play this game.
    I'm a Rogue and I also made a spreadsheet for the Order Hall that is updated for BfA.

Deleted
    Nitro boost is allready "balanced" on beta.
    http://wod.wowhead.com/spell=55016
    The effect varies in time and speed and the most important part is:
    Nitro boosts share a cooldown with potions.
    And at this point i think potions are superior, beside some very special points in a specific fight.

PS:
    The glider is unchanged right now:
    http://wod.wowhead.com/spell=126392
    But i dont think there are many fights where a glider is a advantage.

While this is a necro.. The discussion is sort of relevant and will be left up. I can understand searching for threads with the search function as that's what we tell you should do. Just at times there is the problem of accidently not noticing there hasn't been a post in that thread for over 5 months. Please do keep the posts constructive as usual though.

Quote Originally Posted by Tomathan View Post
    Nitro boost is allready "balanced" on beta.
    http://wod.wowhead.com/spell=55016
    The effect varies in time and speed and the most important part is:
    Nitro boosts share a cooldown with potions.
    And at this point i think potions are superior, beside some very special points in a specific fight.

PS:
    The glider is unchanged right now:
    http://wod.wowhead.com/spell=126392
    But i dont think there are many fights where a glider is a advantage.
    We kinda need to know if it's healing potions (which they should call "Tonics"), or DPS potions. If the latter, Nitro Boosts is now 100% unusable, UNLESS Nitro Boosts has a 2m cooldown and Potions have a 1/2m-OOC only cooldown, in which case the CD isn't that big of a deal.

Glider doesn't matter because there's an item form that non-ENGs can use. Very cheap too: 2 Gearspring Parts + 5 Fur (Cloth) for a quarter-stack of 5. Only thing about the item-version of tinkers is that you have to keep making them.

I'm more curious about the rocket launcher that non-ENGs can use that will be mandatory because it's a 1m cooldown and shares a CD with NOTHING.

Quote Originally Posted by mrgreenthump View Post
    While this is a necro.. The discussion is sort of relevant and will be left up. I can understand searching for threads with the search function as that's what we tell you should do. Just at times there is the problem of accidently not noticing there hasn't been a post in that thread for over 5 months. Please do keep the posts constructive as usual though.
    Yeah I wasn't really sure about the necro; it's definitely still relevant, but most of the discussion won't be Mage-related because Professions are pretty much neutered of any class-specific stuff since BC (Shadowfrost and Arcanefire sets). Still though, it's a good discussion nonetheless.

Edit/Update: I'm now kinda on the fence about my choices. Alchemy, despite JUST having leveled it, seems very weak overall outside of the bonus procs, especially since I'm not sure if Mixology will be a thing or not (tooltip still in, effect is not), and ENG also seems very weak, only getting the goggles, Bling 5000/4000, old-world stuff (like teleports and etc), Nitro Boosts (neutered to hell), and not having to pay for every time I use a tinker (which is barely, anyways). Thinking about Tailoring (BoP cloth ==> Bags and bonus cloth) and Enchanting (Disenchant anywhere, best Weapon enchants, able to upgrade materials, and Weapon illusions).
    Last edited by Polarthief; 2014-09-26 at 10:01 AM.
    I'm a Rogue and I also made a spreadsheet for the Order Hall that is updated for BfA.

Deleted
    I've always been tailoring/enchanting on my mage for years. I'll stick with these for a few reasons 1)Tailoring means i can make my own cloth gear if i still need it by the time i can craft one. 2)Ease of doing my own enchants and 3)I have lots of rare tailoring and enchanting recipes i wouldn't want to loose, simple.

Quote Originally Posted by Howlingstar View Post
    I've always been tailoring/enchanting on my mage for years. I'll stick with these for a few reasons 1)Tailoring means i can make my own cloth gear if i still need it by the time i can craft one. 2)Ease of doing my own enchants and 3)I have lots of rare tailoring and enchanting recipes i wouldn't want to loose, simple.
    It's also a pretty good combo. Tailoring nets bonus cloth (which is useful for other professions even when you're done with Tailoring), and uses the BoP cloth for the new 30 slot bags. Enchanting gets you the better weapon enchants, all material cooldowns, and the illusion "transmog" glows.

I also didn't include the stuff the Garrison can get you, and the better armor, because the epics won't be too helpful once you get your tier/other raid gear, assuming you'll be doing at least Heroic.

Update: I'd like to state for the record I was unaware of the following: All crafted gear in Warlords are Unique-Equipped (3). That means you can only use 3 pieces of gear/weapons from professions, including Blacksmithing, Leatherworking, Tailoring, Inscription (Weapons), Engineering (Goggles/Guns), Jewelcrafting (Rings/Necklaces), and Alchemy (Trinket) (For some reason, Alchemist Stone and Engineering Weapons do not count). This is a huge nerf to these professions, especially Tailoring for us.

Edit: Forgot JC.
    Last edited by Polarthief; 2014-09-26 at 07:42 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Prometheous View Post
    I disagree with this. Just balance the abilities to give similar benefits in pve and you're set.
    Well I disagree with this, it's a total pain having to level some profession I couldn't care less about to 600, hating it throughout, just because it's optimal. Enchanting should allow you to enchant things and make money off that of course but it shouldn't be required if you don't care about things like that.

Would also like to point out that the goggles from Eng will likely be overshadowed with the MC event rewarding helms.
    Last edited by Naplam; 2014-09-26 at 03:16 PM.
    Thank you to Serrin for the signature!
    PC Stuffs: i7-4790K | Z97X-SLI | 16GB DDR3-1866 | GTX-780 | 256GB Samsung EVO | 1TB WD Blue | SuperNOVA 650 Gold | Fractal r4 Blackout | Dark Rock Pro 3

Quote Originally Posted by Shayuki View Post
    Enchanting should allow you to enchant things and make money off that of course but it shouldn't be required if you don't care about things like that.
    Good luck making a dime from non-weapon enchants/illusions when everyone and their mother will have access to those enchants via the small plot.

Quote Originally Posted by Naplam View Post
    Would also like to point out that the goggles from Eng will likely be overshadowed with the MC event rewarding helms.
    That too. I don't think Cogwheels are in WoD either. ENG is looking incredibly subpar; I'm greatly considering dropping it for Ench atm since the only benefit now is having Bling 4000/5000.

Not to mention the amount of mats you need to make the goggles useful, AND that they take up one of your 3 WoD Crafted slots.

I feel like WoD is removing all the remaining fun from the game, and giving us a bunch of stuff that is less fun than what was there before. Profession bonuses may have been wonky to a certain extent, but it gave people a legitimate motivation to level up a profession, which also helps keep the economy moving along.

And I'm sorry, things like Lightweave, synapse springs, even extra sockets and higher enchants, there's something really helpful and "fun" about these things, especially when you are super lowbie geared and you put that huge enchant on your lowbie blues and it gives you a legitimate dps boost.

Quote Originally Posted by Pyromelter View Post
    I feel like WoD is removing all the remaining fun from the game, and giving us a bunch of stuff that is less fun than what was there before. Profession bonuses may have been wonky to a certain extent, but it gave people a legitimate motivation to level up a profession, which also helps keep the economy moving along.

And I'm sorry, things like Lightweave, synapse springs, even extra sockets and higher enchants, there's something really helpful and "fun" about these things, especially when you are super lowbie geared and you put that huge enchant on your lowbie blues and it gives you a legitimate dps boost.
    I disagree actually because even in Vanilla where the professions gave no bonuses, they were still leveled up and were even harder to do so! I remember being ecstatic over just getting the Minor Beastslayer enchant for the red glow, and others bought it just for the glow, too! (And don't get me started on Fiery Weapon!). I don't find small passive benefits to be "fun". It's just a paywall or a timewall (if you grind all the mats) to min-max. I will say that they're definitely sucking the fun out of Engineering though.

Quote Originally Posted by artaxix View Post
    I only want to know what the hell they intend to do with Engineering... I expect Synapse Springs to go. As you line it up with other CDs...

What about the other toys? Rocket boost? Gliders? Utility tinkers.. as opposed to DPS increases...
    The glove enchants are gone, so yes Synapse Springs and all comparable infight CDs are out. The rest is pretty much there, with Nitro Boost sharing the potion CD and only boosting by 70%.
    Last edited by The Kao; 2014-09-26 at 03:47 PM.
    Your rights as a consumer begin and end at the point where you choose not to consume, and not where you yourself influence the consumed goods.

Translation: if you don't like a game don't play it.

Would like to point people to http://www.wowhead.com/news=241230/g...s-missions-and over at wowhead, Perculia has a nice write up on all the buildings and what they offer, including the ones out in the world.

Polar, I went and farmed up mats for enchanting, Hypnotic Dust is the tough one (11g+ per on my server). Waiting till Pre-release to move Blacksmith to Enchant, as my BS sockets will exist till then.