Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Booshman View Post
    In being (most likely) the only person who read the first article and didn't take the OP at face value, I have to ask. Why did the OP try to act as though blacks, Hispanics (which he left out in his OP strangely enough), and women were targeting, blaming, and going after Twitter. When it comes down to Twitter's own stated beliefs in terms of what they're doing in regards to diversity?
    Twitter had to come out with a PR stunt alongside the report because they were originally pressured into doing it by Jesse Jackson and Feminist groups (who also pressure Google and Facebook, that's why all of these are coming out at the same time).

Quote Originally Posted by T Man View Post
    Never did understand why Americans call blacks African Americans and Europeans just call them black.
    That's... a topic for another day. Basically, it's relentlessly forced into our brains starting at a young age to use that terminology since it's apparently more PC according to our society. Saying "black person" or "black guy" when describing someone is typically frowned upon.

I can get behind the idea of why some people take offense though, if we started calling Asian people "that yellow guy", it would be an issue.
    Last edited by glo; 2014-07-24 at 10:12 AM.
    i7-4770k - GTX 780 Ti - 16GB DDR3 Ripjaws - (2) HyperX 120s / Vertex 3 120
    ASRock Extreme3 - Sennheiser Momentums - Xonar DG - EVGA Supernova 650G - Corsair H80i

build pics

I'm a male in Education. There are entire schools in my district that don't have a single male teacher. Out of a staff of 50 at my school, there are 3 males, and none of them are in an executive position.

Blame gender stereotypes for the fields that both sexes study and obtain degrees in instead of blaming specific companies.
    Have you heard of the critically acclaimed MMORPG Final Fantasy XIV? With an expanded free trial which you can play through the entirety of A Realm Reborn and the award winning Heavensward expansion up to level 60 for free with no restrictions on playtime?

Quote Originally Posted by glo View Post
    That's... a topic for another day. Basically, it's relentlessly forced into our brains starting at a young age to use that terminology since it's apparently more PC according to our society. Saying "black person" or "black guy" when describing someone is typically frowned upon.
    Yet interestingly enough a lot of the people who get up in arms over that sort of thing have no problem saying 'white guy' in an outright or borderline derogatory manner.

Twitter had to come out with a PR stunt alongside the report because they were originally pressured into doing it by Jesse Jackson and Feminist groups (who also pressure Google and Facebook, that's why all of these are coming out at the same time)..
    They were merely pressured to publicize the reports, though. There's nothing about them being forced to generate these reports because of Jackson. Or that their own beliefs in terms of aiming to be more diverse, stemmed form him either. I'm still struggling to find what the problem is, and how Twitter is being "blamed".

That's this is just hilariously false and phony defeatist whine, as your average black person in America doesn't give a darn if you call them "black".

I studied Computer Science. We started with about 130 students, there were total of 8(!!) women..
    About 40 graduated with only 3 women..

In my company there's exactly 0 women in computer science departments..

In my fiancees company, she's the only one working in Code development, and there's only 1 more female in sever maintenance department.

Now - the question is "why is that a case"? Simply because Women are not that interested in IT work as men are. There are highly qualified females, but they are in minority still.
    In my company (I asked today out of curiosity) there has been no CVs from females for an IT work, since I got there (4th year now). There used to be 1 girl working here, but she moved to bigger corp..

In my fiancees company - she was the only woman to apply..

Feminists can yell for equality, but as long as females wont be as interested in IT and won't form equally large group as males - it's impossible to have 50/50 ratio without VASTLY hindering and hurting company.

I agree that people should be hired regardless of their gender, race. But based on their knowledge, qualifications etc..

Those feminists, actually promote hiring just because an applicant has a vagina, not required qualifications >.>'
    Quote Originally Posted by Archaeon View Post
    In tbc everyone wished they were playing vanilla. In cataclysm everyone will wish they were playing wotlk.
    ^------True story!!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Keep in mind she's the VICE president to boot.

In case the NORMAL president of Diversity and Inclusion at Twitter isn't able to fulfill their role of being inclusive and diverse enough, apparently.
    A vice-president in many US firms is the equivalent of a department manager, and doesn't have anyone above them in their department, e.g. both of my older brothers are vice-presidents in their firms - one in a US bank, the other in a US oil rig manufacturer - and both head up their respective departments.

Neither are in the Illuminati. Or are they?

Deleted
    Fucking ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by Paula Deen View Post
    Those aren't feminist, they are equal rights activist.
    They are feminists, that's what feminism is about.
    “It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more... than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so fucking what.”

They were merely pressured to publicize the reports, though. There's nothing about them being forced to generate these reports because of Jackson. Or that their own beliefs in terms of aiming to be more diverse, stemmed form him either. I'm still struggling to find what the problem is, and how Twitter is being "blamed".
    http://time.com/3002270/twitter-dive...acebook-apple/

There's TIME whining about it and placing blame, all the while Twitter (or any of the other companies that have disclosed) shouldn't have been pressured in the first place, nor should they be receiving criticism about it. That's the whole point.

A simple google search on the subject will reveal a wide array of news outlets placing blame on Silicon Valley for not having enough diversity, as if it's seemingly their fault.

That's this is just hilariously false and phony defeatist whine, as your average black person in America doesn't give a darn if you call them "black".
    And there's plenty that do take offense, which is why you're taught what's politically correct to say. Should I have titled the thread "Twitter is to blame for black people not getting tech degrees"? Does that sound very elegant? Should we start calling Asians "yellow people"?

I don't really care about the subject much as I live in Philadelphia and deal with racial issues every day. Describing people with their heritage instead of their skin color is second nature now.
    ASRock Extreme3 - Sennheiser Momentums - Xonar DG - EVGA Supernova 650G - Corsair H80i

build pics

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    A vice-president in many US firms is the equivalent of a department manager, and doesn't have anyone above them in their department, e.g. both of my older brothers are vice-presidents in their firms - one in a US bank, the other in a US oil rig manufacturer - and both head up their respective departments.
    Yes, but this is twitter, and they have a department called "diversity and inclusion."

So who knows what the structure is. They might have a secretary of state for diversity and inclusion.

Would probably make them look better on paper.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by noralya View Post
    that's what feminism is about.
    The name itself implies the contrary.

Everything is to blame, this society is the reason that everyone that isn't a White christian male is being oppressed.
    *Sarcasm*
    Quote Originally Posted by Boomzy
    People just want to be bullies without facing any sort of consequences or social fallout for being a bully. If you declare X as a racist/sexist/homophobic/etc. person you can say or do whatever you want to them, ignoring the fact that they are a human.

10+ Year Old Account
    Diversity for the sake of diversity is bullshit.
    Quote Originally Posted by nôrps View Post
    I just think you retards are starting to get ridiculous with your childish language.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dethox View Post
    The name itself implies the contrary.
    There is a sub sect trying to make everything about women though, and they are in the minority. It's just a case of the name being hijacked, anyone denying that it has an image problem has their head in the sand. Here's a case in point:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Feminist_geography

And my personal favourite:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Feminist_technoscience

"me me me me me"

On topic - people cry about literally anything. I remember my aunts company a few years ago desperately trying to hire a black man for a job that didn't really exist, just so they looked good on diversity indexes.
    http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...nicus/advanced
    Quote Originally Posted by goblinpaladin View Post
    Also a vegetable is a person.
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    I dont care if they [gays] are allowed to donate [blood], but I think we should have an option to refuse gay blood if we need to receive blood.

http://time.com/3002270/twitter-dive...acebook-apple/

There's TIME whining about it and placing blame, all the while Twitter (or any of the other companies that have disclosed) shouldn't have been pressured in the first place, nor should they be receiving criticism about it. That's the whole point.

A simple google search on the subject will reveal a wide array of news outlets placing blame on Silicon Valley for not having enough diversity, as if it's seemingly their fault..
    All that Time article really says is that Twitter acknowledges that they're not diverse as they want to be, that they're concerned about hiring and rates of attrition, and that in some areas progress is being made in regards to those things.

To call that whining is just more shameless sensationalism on your part. Like in your thread title, and your OP.

The latter where you said that they're "going to have to start hiring unqualified people en masse to fill quotas" because of this report. Which despite that being a frequent talking point rarely ever happens. Unless you have any data that suggests that this has been true for the aforementioned companies? If your issue is about whether the reports should have been released, then maybe you should have said "that" in the OP. Instead of acting like these companies like Twitter are being bashed, tarred, and feathered. When really, what's generally said is the same exact thing that Twitter is saying about themself.

And there's plenty that do take offense, which is why you're taught what's politically correct to say. Should I have titled the thread "Twitter is to blame for black people not getting tech degrees"? Does that sound very elegant? Should we start calling Asians "yellow people"?

I don't really care about the subject much as I live in Philadelphia and deal with racial issues every day. Describing people with their heritage instead of their skin color is second nature now.
    Well for starters, it's requires a bit of mental gymnastics to equate the use of "black" vs. the use of "yellow", when you look at their historical uses. As the latter has generally been a term to scare up jittery whites. While the former has been used in a derogatory manner, but was hijacked and turned into a symbol of pride. Something that didn't really happen all that much, with the former.

And I live in Philadephia, too. And have for many years, in several parts. Center City, currently. And I don't encounter any issues. But then again, I'm not in constant need to fill some personal "angry quota". Nor do I vent my clearly pent up angst with "cleverly presented" and "thinly veiled" threads on niche message boards.
    Last edited by Booshman; 2014-07-24 at 11:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Paula Deen View Post
    Those aren't feminist, they are equal rights activist.
    those aren't even equal rights activist. they are equal Outcome activist

-snip-
    So your stance is "companies are pressured to do this but never do, so who cares?" Yeah, that's a constructive opinion.

I'm also happy that you're content with defending the idea behind calling people by an exaggeration of their skin tone. It's nice to see people go to such written lengths to oppose someone using more sensitive terminology for no apparent reason. Stay classy.

build pics

It is just as racist or sexist to use a persons race or gender as a reason to hire someone as it would be to use a persons race or gender as a reason not to hire someone

Why do people give these Femi-Nazi's a moment of attention?

All that Time article really says is that Twitter acknowledges that they're not diverse as they want to be, that they're concerned about hiring and rates of attrition, and that in some areas progress is being made in regards to those things.

To call that whining is just more shameless sensationalism on your part. Like in your thread title, and your OP.

The latter where you said that they're "going to have to start hiring unqualified people en masse to fill quotas" because of this report. Which despite that being a frequent talking point rarely ever happens. Unless you have any data that suggests that this has been true for the aforementioned companies? If your issue is about whether the reports should have been released, then maybe you should have said "that" in the OP. Instead of acting like these companies like Twitter are being bashed, tarred, and feathered. When really, what's generally said is the same exact thing that Twitter is saying about themself.

Well for starters, it's requires a bit of mental gymnastics to equate the use of "black" vs. the use of "yellow", when you look at their historical uses. As the latter has generally been a term to scare up jittery whites. While the former has been used in a derogatory manner, but was hijacked and turned into a symbol of pride. Something that didn't really happen all that much, with the former.

And I live in Philadephia, too. And have for many years, in several parts. Center City, currently. And I don't encounter any issues. But then again, I'm not in constant need to fill some personal "angry quota". Nor do I vent my clearly pent up angst with "cleverly presented" and "thinly veiled" threads on niche message boards.
    so when are we going to see the same concerns about diversity from the NBA?