Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by AndaliteBandit View Post
    Actually, Pi Day is a thing. March 14th, 3.14. We always made pies for that day in calculus.
    They're from England, that would be 14.3.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    They're from England, that would be 14.3.
    Yeah, that's just because most of the world uses weird numbering. This upcoming Pi day will be the best though. 3.14.15. Although I guess if you were rounding up instead of down, 3.14.16 would be more accurate.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

I'm definitely working on Thanksgiving. I work in a hospital, and any holiday I work, I get paid double-time and a half per hour rather than regular pay. Since I work midnights, I'm grateful that the company that owns my hospital considers the day after Thanksgiving a holiday as well, so I'm working 12 hours with double-time and a half. Pretty shnazzy, right?

I will be working on maintaining my low carb diet. Much turkey flesh will be consumed.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

Nope. I work in a potato chip factory, so no need to work. I love being out of the service industry.

I'm confused, Thanksgiving was like a month ago.
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

i work a 3:00-9:30pm shift on turkey day. After that Im off two days so its a trade off to not work the worst day of the year for retail. And I work RX retail so while its a pain it needs to be done.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tradewind View Post
    I'm confused, Thanksgiving was like a month ago.
    Canada has a long history of jumping the gun on our holidays. You do Thanksgiving early, and you even have Canada Day before July 4th.

Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    Canada has a long history of jumping the gun on our holidays. You do Thanksgiving early, and you even have Canada Day before July 4th.
    "Our holidays," you smug jerk.

10+ Year Old Account
    This is my first year not working on the holiday. As a brit living in America it never really bothered me to have to work it, but I am excited to get to spend the day with my fiancé and his family

10+ Year Old Account
    "Our holidays," you smug jerk.
    They call me Smuggles the Jerk. Everyone stole Christmas, Halloween and Easter from us too. Jesus was an American and his friends Santa, Jack o' Lantern, and the Bunny were his American apostles.

They call me Smuggles the Jerk. Everyone stole Christmas, Halloween and Easter from us too. Jesus was an American and his friends Santa, Jack o' Lantern, and the Bunny were his American apostles.
    and on the 6th day, God said "let there be advent calendars, discount televisions and pumpkin pie" and there was and it was good.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by axolotls View Post
    Where I work, you get holiday pay for that pay period, basically an extra 8 hours (or whatever your average daily hours are) tacked onto your paycheck, regardless of whether or not you work the holiday. You only become ineligible for holiday pay if you're scheduled to work the day before or after and call out on one of those days.
    Slightly different for me. If I DON'T work, I get 8 hours of holiday pay. If I DO work, I get 10, because my normal work day is 10.

However, my company is closed on Thanksgiving, so I couldn't work it even if I wanted to, which I so would.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    If your girlfriend is a girl and you're a guy, your kid is destined to be some sort of half girl/half guy abomination.

10+ Year Old Account
    and on the 6th day, God said "let there be advent calendars, discount televisions and pumpkin pie" and there was and it was good.
    And then god said, "Let there be Black Friday, and Boxing Day," and it was a net benefit to the almighty GDP.

Hell no. I'm suppose to work the day after, but I'm currently in the middle of working 12 days straight, so I think I'll take that friday off for a nice 4 day weekend.

10+ Year Old Account
    Our news organizations also invented Original Spin. That's what the serpent on our Gadsen's Flag was all about.

Now you're just being silly.

I always find it interesting that people don't like the fact that people in customer service jobs such as walmarts or best buys have to work on Thanksgiving. while I agree they shouldn't. I also agree that nobody should have to work thanksgiving. This trend with retail has only started the past couple of years. Everyone forgets that there are many other professions that have to work on thanksgiving. Take public service people, like firefighters, cops, or doctors. Think about the nurses in hospitals, or in retirement homes that have to be working on thanksgiving. Heck my dad had a job a couple of years ago where he deliverd prescription drugs to most of Northern Ohio hospitals and retirement homes. Soldiers, Airmen, marines and sailors all have to work on Thanksgiving as well.

Oddly though the only profession that people have a problem with working on thanksgiving is people in retail.

Yeah, that's just because most of the world uses weird numbering. This upcoming Pi day will be the best though. 3.14.15. Although I guess if you were rounding up instead of down, 3.14.16 would be more accurate.
    Actually we use weird numbering. It should go Year.Month.Day for easier sorting.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    Actually we use weird numbering. It should go Year.Month.Day for easier sorting.
    I totally agree. Their weird numbering didn't preclude our numbering being weird. I always use YYMMDD for all my documents at work. It's pretty objectively good as a method.