Poll: Gathering Professions as Secondary Skills?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Mining, Herbalism, Skinning: Secondary Professions in 7.0?

This is wild speculation, I know, but given the ease with which we can gain these resources in WoD, what do we think, as a community, of the gathering skills as secondary (same as cooking, fishing, first aid) in the next expansion?

Pros:
    Frees up one or two profession slots for characters who had gathering previously while keeping their progress.
    Allows us to learn them all, but doesn't mean we automatically get good at them (still need to learn them if we didn't already).
    Doesn't hurt the AH market any more than Cooking being a secondary profession, especially with the crash in value brought on by WoD.

Cons:
    I can't think of any. Can you?

I prefer it that way. In many other MMOs I played this was the case. Gathering was always a "secondary" profession...at least the MMOs that is not wow-clones
    The trick of selling a FFA-PvP MMO is creating the illusion among gankers that they are respectable fighters while protecting them from respectable fights, as their less skilled half would be massacred and quit instead of “HTFU” as they claim.

Chances are, gathering professions will just stay a non-factor, in that the garrison will continue to be enough and the design of crafting professions won't let you spam-craft limiting the intake of materials.

I find it more likely they will add garrison means to get skins / cloth.

With how the garrison works and them saying the garrison is not leaving Draenor with us, I hope this is something they are building up to.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrion Lannister View Post
    Congrats Blizz. Everyone who wanted a Vanilla realm will get it with WoD. So much for never moving backward. Though, it will not be a pure vanilla server since you can still fly in the old content, and you don't have to farm things just to raid. Just wanted to congratulate Blizz for giving the folks what they wanted, a classic vanilla world.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrion Lannister View Post
    Or, maybe instead of making a strawman, they could just get a lvl 1 pony after they complete a quest in the starting zone

rda - they have that in the Barn.

As a whole, moving the gathering professions to secondary feels like a good next move. They'll do something similar to garrisons in the next expac (already confirmed), but that doesn't mean we can't open up some more room for players to have 2 actual crafting professions to work with if they so choose.

Deleted
    Just stuff em all into one secondary gatherer profession and call it a day imo... If they want to continue with it they can throw in lumberjack in it as well.

I'm not sure if making them one profession would meet the goals of the exercise, mainly:

1) keep players' current progress so they don't feel like they've lost anything. (I've leveled up two gathering professions but only get 700 in "Gathering" while the other guy gets his for only one?, etc...)

2) don't give any player something more than they've already earned.

3) allow the professions to still exist for those who want to farm, and leave two open slots for them to dip their toe into a formal crafting profession if they decide to.

Herald of the Titans Deathgoose's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    And make secondary professions account wide!

Okay, I'm dreaming, I know.

Sounds reasonable, should only be able to get one as a secondary though, and you can pick up the other two as primaries if you want to have all 3.

10+ Year Old Account
    just combine them all into one secondary proffesion ,named gathering.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluesftw View Post
    just combine them all into one secondary proffesion ,named gathering.
    Smart. Throw in timber gathering as well, since the tech already exists.