Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    I just tried to look up incarceration rates by ethnicity. Interestingly, they only show White, Black, Hispanic, and Native American. They don't even have an Asian category.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    My guess would be that as a black man, finding a good job is more a matter of luck than merit. If you're black and good at your work, it doesn't mean people will hire you.
    Here's the sensible post for the thread.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

The Unstoppable Force THE Bigzoman's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Conspicuous Cultist View Post
    I'd blame Iowa but nobody even cares about Iowa except in elections.

Obama is secretly a muslim that pushes forth a satanist agenda that brainwashes our kids into liking gangster rap.
    No. Blame Iowa.

Please do.

https://www.aclu.org/criminal-law-re...ijuana-arrests

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    Fuck me.... I don't even know a single black person in Iowa... Living here where I do, it seems they deported them all to Nebraska. lol
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    Well it's certainly true that police disproportionately target minorities.
    I got stories.

It's not anything that could affect me as much anymore (I'm a hermit for the most part and steer away from any drugs at first sight).

I'm honestly convinced about what Thorstein Veblen said. Humans are controlled by habits and institutions that influence them. When Institutions wane, the habits they ingrain persist through generations.

Even if the War on Drugs ended, it would just spawn something else to take it's place.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Wildtree View Post
    Fuck me.... I don't even know a single black person in Iowa... Living here where I do, it seems they deported them all to Nebraska. lol
    Really?

Waterloo/Cedar Falls.
    Dubuque
    Cedar Rapids
    Iowa City.
    East Des Moines.

All these areas have black populations. I actually know the anecdote of the guy in the article as well.

We don't like leaving going into the small towns, which is strange considering a lot of them are becoming home for hispanics.

10+ Year Old Account
    I got stories.

It's not anything that could affect me as much anymore (I'm a hermit for the most part and steer away from any drugs at first sight).

I'm honestly convinced about what Thorstein Veblen said. Humans are controlled by habits and institutions that influence them. When Institutions wane, the habits they ingrain persist through generations.

Even if the War on Drugs ended, it would just spawn something else to take it's place.
    There seems to be an ethnic power dynamic that plays out all around the world. It varies from place to place, but in the US, even if they don't do it consciously, people seem to rank the ethnicities along these lines:

White>=Asian>>Latino>>>>>Black

I don't know why it is that Black seems to hold such a low position in the hierarchy. You can see this easily in that OK Cupid article that showed who messages who on their dating website. I'd suggest maybe it's a holdover in social standing from the days of slavery, but hell, we used to have the Chinese working as virtual slaves building the railroads in the West, and they don't seem to have any social issues in California today. It's not even a question of being a minority in the community, since even in majority black communities, there's still a social status distance.

10+ Year Old Account

Really?

Waterloo/Cedar Falls.
    Dubuque
    Cedar Rapids
    Iowa City.
    East Des Moines.

All these areas have black populations. I actually know the anecdote of the guy in the article as well.

We don't like leaving going into the small towns, which is strange considering a lot of them are becoming homes for hispanics.
    I'm not totally kidding...
    Council Bluffs... Right at the border to Omaha, NE.. Across the river there's a large black community. On the Iowa side, not so much at all.

Here you go.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Council_Bluffs,_Iowa
    2010:
    The racial makeup of the city was 90.9% White, 1.9% African American, 0.6% Native American, 0.7% Asian, 3.6% from other races, and 2.4% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 8.5% of the population.
    Last edited by Wildtree; 2015-02-10 at 12:15 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    There seems to be an ethnic power dynamic that plays out all around the world. It varies from place to place, but in the US, even if they don't do it consciously, people seem to rank the ethnicities along these lines:

I don't know why it is that Black seems to hold such a low position in the hierarchy. You can see this easily in that OK Cupid article that showed who messages who on their dating website. I'd suggest maybe it's a holdover in social standing from the days of slavery, but hell, we used to have the Chinese working as virtual slaves building the railroads in the West, and they don't seem to have any social issues in California today. It's not even a question of being a minority in the community, since even in majority black communities, there's still a social status distance.
    Depends on the asian groups you're looking at.

The Hmong that came during the Vietnam war have tons of problems. As does the Burmese population in my area (The Meatpacking industry floods Iowa with various immigrant groups)

10+ Year Old Account

I'd switch black and Latino, mostly because in my area most all Latino's are in construction and the ones at school are caricatures of Jersey Shore.
    Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    I'd never compare him to Hitler, Hitler was actually well educated, and by all accounts pretty intelligent.

Well, I'd imagine if you can go up, what's stopping you from falling down? This isn't unique to skin color.

10+ Year Old Account
    Depends on the asian groups you're looking at.

The Hmong that came during the Vietnam war have tons of problems. As does the Burmese population in my area (The Meatpacking industry floods Iowa with various immigrant groups)
    I don't know about the Hmong, but the Vietnamese groups that settled in the Bay Area of California during the war are doing VERY well today overall.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm not totally kidding...
    Council Bluffs... Right at the border to Omaha, NE.. Across the river there's a large black community. On the Iowa side, not so much at all.

Here you go.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Council_Bluffs,_Iowa
    2010:
    The racial makeup of the city was 90.9% White, 1.9% African American, 0.6% Native American, 0.7% Asian, 3.6% from other races, and 2.4% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 8.5% of the population.
    Have you ever gone out to Davenport or Sioux City?

10+ Year Old Account
    Have you ever gone out to Davenport or Sioux City?
    Sioux City once.....Davenport like only driven by when crossing through the state. Fuck, even in Des Moines I've only been twice..
    Both states, NE and IA are so boring, it's mind numbing... I don't wanna see more than I absolutely have to

Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    Perhaps it even goes back to original attempts to racially classify people and the influence of Europe. If I remember correctly, ignoring any further divisions within these groups, it was white > Asian > black.
    I blame Darwin.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tierbook View Post
    I'd switch black and Latino, mostly because in my area most all Latino's are in construction and the ones at school are caricatures of Jersey Shore.
    How can you be a caricature of jersey shore?

Hard to exagerate that not impossible though :X

10+ Year Old Account
    Sioux City once.....Davenport like only driven by when crossing through the state. Fuck, even in Des Moines I've only been twice..
    Both states, NE and IA are so boring, it's mind numbing... I don't wanna see more than I absolutely have to
    Hasn't the University of Iowa always had it's rep as a party college?

Iowa City has been the Vegas equivalent in the state since I was like 14.

Deleted
    Have you guys actually bothered to read the studies rather than listening to some diluted version on the MSN website which we all know is the most reliable source .

The authors of the articles quoted on the website state factors such as length of education and family structure to play a role in the intergenerational differences in social mobility. One specific example is those black students who stay in education for 10 years ie high school only ~25% will move above the poverty line, this drastically increases for those with more years of education. Now we all know what the op was insinuating with his comment about black people but I would like to provide you with some anecdotal evidence from my upbringing in the north-east of England to point out that this is not a problem only black people face but in-fact is a problem that arises from a culture of poverty and distrust of the authorities that govern societies (something I feel someone should really do a study on). In the 1950's the north of England was dominated by coal and shipbuilding industries, these provided a working class living standard for many people, especially in cities such as Sunderland. Sadly all these industries were closed down during the Thatcher era causing a noticeable gap in the wealth distribution between the north and south of England. Culturally people were also affected, having no formal education many were left to carry out menial jobs such as plumbing, working in factories etc which at the time provided a decent living, this coupled with the fact that the british education system only enforces education till the age of 16 meant that many youngsters left to work rather than pursue education further propagating the wealth gap between north and the south as those with skills moved south. Fast forward to 2015 and although much better, even today you can visit whole towns in the north were a significant part of the populace survives on social security or low skilled jobs, even though England is considered to have one of the best education systems in the world. So one has to ask themselves why is this the case?

It goes back to context, these studies fail to recognise the effect of the economic climate during those periods of time, they fail to address the staggering issue that is non-enforced education e.g. you can drop out of school once you reach a certain age which WILL ( even these studies show ) have an effect on were an individual will be socio-economically. The author of the 2014 paper make a very good point in saying that governments HAVE to look at their policies carefully particularly in education to try to resolve these issues.
    I'll leave you with a question and answer seriously, how many of you had grand parent or great grandparent who lived in the bottom 25% of society? How many of you had grandparents or great grand parent who 60 years ago couldn't even expect to ever earn the same amount of money as someone who was doing the same job? Instead of taking an attitude of superiority or indignation towards these people we should be conscientious and more aware of the context to which these issues have arisen. Just because I was raised poor doesn't mean my parent had the same world view as the guy next door's parents

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    I blame Darwin.
    which one?

10+ Year Old Account
    This scares the shit outta me.

I was always under the impression that, for the most part, the worse you could do is fall slightly under your parents status.
    There is no way in hell I'll ever reach the status of my parents. One could argue I hit the parent jackpot with how much they make, but it in some ways creates near impossible pressure to stack up to an extremely high standard. Instead of being disappointed in myself my entire life, I came to terms a while ago that I would never be able to afford a nice house in Silicon Valley and retire younger than the national average. As long as I'm debt free I'm content for the most part
    Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    I do not have enough hands to apply enough palms to my face.

10+ Year Old Account
    which one?
    The city in Australia.