Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Christonya View Post
    In gw2 you're likely spending 10. But this applies to games like LoL as well, a skin is what ? 10 ish bucks? I havn't played in a while so I could be wrong there, I just feel micro transactions are some thing the consumer let slide initially without thinking about it and as such the prices are inflated, where in reality they probably should be about half of what they are now.
    Complete sets are 800 gems ($10), outfits 700 gems, most single pieces are 400-500, though the goofy hats like the killer whale or whatnot are like 200.
    "I only feel two things Gary, nothing, and nothingness."

Quote Originally Posted by Christonya View Post
    I wasn't going to bring this up but with your second response I changed my mind.
    We can not argue the merits of one game over another on these forums. Comparisons are fine, but arguing over the specifics of one game to another leads to "game v. game" arguments that are not part of the MMO-C guidelines.

I can't make the rules. I just have to steer conversation in a direction that is not against MMO-C guidelines.

Not only the rules, but also comparing any Free-to-Play MMO or Pay-to-Pay MMO to a Buy-to-Play MMO isn't comparing a similar product. The only thing they have in common is their genre. It's like trying to compare the Legend of Zelda with Assassin's Creed. Same genre, but they're both going for completely different playstyles and audiences.

Guild Wars 2 is NOT a free game. Period. It's a Buy-to-Play and until a few weeks ago (when ESO switched) it was practically the only one on the market.

As noted before, single armor skins are 400~500 gems, but you get three versions. So you're spending 133~167 gems per skin which is about the same price as buying a full set for 800 gems. (166.6... gems per piece)

Generally I think it's not that badly priced, although I would rather have RL money prices instead of the Gem system, but that's my personal opinion because I've never been a fan of systems like that.

Having said that, I'm more willing to put money into a game that doesn't want a subscription fee from me, rather than a game that does.

10+ Year Old Account
    My only complaint is, that gold is way too cheap.
    It's high noon.
    Personality: INTJ

I honestly don't feel like the prices on the gemstore are too high.

For gathering tools you only need to buy one of each once because they are account bound and you can transfer them between toons fairly easily. All skins you buy unlock in the wardrobe so those only need to be bought once. Same thing with the minis. Ditto with the dyes.

Also note "need" is only used here in terms of if you want something, because nothing in the gemstore is strictly needed to play

Quote Originally Posted by Arlee View Post
    Also note "need" is only used here in terms of if you want something, because nothing in the gemstore is strictly needed to play
    I don't know about you, but I simply cannot play the game without the Quaggan backpack. I tried, but the game is utterly unplayable.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    I don't know about you, but I simply cannot play the game without the Quaggan backpack. I tried, but the game is utterly unplayable.
    That's because your mind is weak and easily swayed by saccharine plushie nonsense.

Quote Originally Posted by lawow74 View Post
    That's because your mind is weak and easily swayed by saccharine plushie nonsense.
    You have yet to find inner peace. You need to be one with the Quaggan backpack. Only then can you truly understand.

Quote Originally Posted by Gray_Matter View Post
    You have yet to find inner peace. You need to be one with the Quaggan backpack. Only then can you truly understand.
    I follow the Way of Lemon-Pepper Breading and Deep Frying. It makes me one with the Quaggans and the Quaggans one with me.

10+ Year Old Account
    Because people keep buying whatever for that price.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

Someone hasn't seen neverwinters shop

yeeeeesh
    Pokemon FC: 4425-2708-3610

I received a day one ORAS demo code. I am a chosen one.

Quote Originally Posted by zito View Post

yeeeeesh
    Neverwinter truly is F2P, so they're going to charge you for every possible service, whereas a good deal of things in GW 2 are free or only have a nominal amount of effort required to get without resorting to gold/gems(like xmute charges)because the box price helps support the game.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by lawow74 View Post
    Neverwinter truly is F2P, so they're going to charge you for every possible service, whereas a good deal of things in GW 2 are free or only have a nominal amount of effort required to get without resorting to gold/gems(like xmute charges)because the box price helps support the game.
    F2P doesn't excuse shop mounts for around 40€ per character. That's simply too expensive. Same for bags, bankspace etc. I don't know how much of the game has changed since i played the game for awhile. But at the time, it was extreme.
    Last edited by Vintersol; 2015-03-31 at 07:55 AM.
    It's high noon.
    Personality: INTJ

Pricing of virtual goods only need one excuse: the market will tolerate the pricing.

Nothing is too expensive. Just expensive for you, which- whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by Thyr View Post
    F2P doesn't excuse shop mounts for around 40€ per character. That's simply too expensive. Same for bags, bankspace etc. I don't know how much of the game has changed since i played the game for awhile. But at the time, it was extreme.
    The Zen Store mounts are account-wide, so unlike the epics on the AH, if you have multiple chars they quickly become more valuable the more chars you have. And the cheapest is about $25 USD, less if you catch it on sale. I got mine with AD. And IME you don't need more bagspace beyond what you get from questing, and other than account bankspace, don't need that either. I got account bankspace for AD too. It's really quite easy, you just have to be patient and dilligent in doing daily invokes and profession tasks.

This is a fair point

Quote Originally Posted by zito View Post

yeeeeesh
    Yea... let's not talk about that shop ><

10+ Year Old Account
    Do not be fooled by that adorable button eye hanging by a thread or the cute fish dangle off the zipper tag - that plushie Quaggan backpack cover is a gateway drug! Next thing you'll be wanting the harder stuff - the Quaggan Finisher and the Aviator Quaggan Mail Carrier - Heed My Warning!
    Valar morghulis

Deleted
    I actually think their store is much more reasonable than some other games' stores. Anyway, consider that you're not paying monthly for the game. Dropping the occasional 10-15 is nothing, it's still costing you a lot less than if you had a sub fee to get the particular cosmetic things you want... and if you don't want to drop a bit of cash now and then, then don't. You don't *need* anything that's on the store.

regardless of being able to pay the 40+ dollars for a full set of unlimited gathering tools for example, its absolutely expensive when you consider what 40 dollars gets you else where in video games be it actual full games or add-on's for others.