Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Basing your lifestyle around how you want others to see you always seems a little disingenuous to me, but I guess we all do it to a certain extent.

I can't say I've ever seen anyone who's Straight Edge, though.

10+ Year Old Account
    I guess I'm sort of straight edger. Sort of because I don't do anything of that not because of morality or something, but because it's just natural way for me. I see punk as counter culture, and everything what straight edge stands against is quite mainstream, except drugs. It doesn't make you model citizen. Model citizen is the one who strictly follow juridical and social laws. Just following 4 social and, as consequence, about 2 (not using drugs and DUI) juridical laws is a tiny bit of all laws. Actually, never drinking is sometimes frown on.
    Thinking about it, on some deep level I like feeling non-conformist about it.
    P.S. I'm not into punk, just slightly into hardcore. Minor Threat is one my favourite bands in genre, btw.

There's nothing wrong with being sober, I find no reason to gloat about it however.

I'm a teetotalist, which means I promote abstinence and self restraint. I'm also an individualist, which means I promote people having the liberty to do whatever makes themselves happy. I'm also a charlatan, which means I can be both of those things while pretending there's no hypocrisy or conflict between the two ideologies.

Never been a fan of the punk scene, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Conspicuous Cultist View Post
    Don't drink, don't do drugs, don't be promiscuous. It all sounds like being a model citizen to me if you just add, "always hold the door open and drive slow". I'm not ragging on these guys too hard because kudos for them being able to be sober but I don't exactly understand how it's "punk" if everyone was straight-edge then the war on drugs would be a critical success.

Are you straight edge? Do you consider it punk? If so, could you explain to me how it's fighting the establishment or if I'm understanding it wrong?
    I don't smoke because it tastes shit.
    I don't drink because it tastes shit and vomiting sucks.
    I don't do drugs because people on drugs do stupid shit.

That said, I've never, ever heard of someone saying "I'm straight edged because its fighting the establishment and punk!"

I don't know how not doing these things fits into a government narrative in any way either; if everyone suddenly quit drinking and smoking, the governments in most first world countries would lose like 25% of their taxable income overnight.

i think it's good. good to see young people that actually act like good people.

that said, i don't see myself as straight edge. i'd probably smoke pot if it was legal and i wasn't scared of feeling out of myself. but i don't do drugs, don't smoke, and hate alcohol with a violent passion. i've also never been a slut, i stick to one person when i'm with a person, and i'd see cheaters punished horribly if i had my way.

Quote Originally Posted by Delekii View Post
    if everyone suddenly quit drinking and smoking, the governments in most first world countries would lose like 25% of their taxable income overnight.
    Not even close.

The Lightbringer Conspicuous Cultist's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Delekii View Post
    I don't smoke because it tastes shit.
    I don't drink because it tastes shit and vomiting sucks.
    I don't do drugs because people on drugs do stupid shit.

That said, I've never, ever heard of someone saying "I'm straight edged because its fighting the establishment and punk!"

I don't know how not doing these things fits into a government narrative in any way either; if everyone suddenly quit drinking and smoking, the governments in most first world countries would lose like 25% of their taxable income overnight.
    I was mainly refering to the US, where drugs (excepting medication and alcohol) are banned.

Schools are constantly pushing the narrative of "just say no".

Marijuana is illegal, cigs can't even be advertised and there's dead featuses on the boxes.

It's obvious we're trying to get people not to take drugs for pleasure.

Quote Originally Posted by Simulatio View Post
    Not even close.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mall Security View Post
    Nope not straight edge and that's a personal choice. But sound like some pretty good people.
    Too bad the straight edge community overlaps significantly with skinhead communities. They're not some pretty good people, they're pretty shitty people who happen to not drink or do drugs as a counter-culture statement.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Because fuck you, that's why.

I wish i had never drank alcohol, smoked a cigarette, done a recreational drug, undergone anesthesia, taken a pain killer, or had sex (either single-player or co-op).

Seriously.

That thing exists? I thought CM Punk was the only one using it lol.

wth has a punk to do with straight edge?

Straight edge are people that live like monks (credo: no smoke no alcohole no sex), and there are nearly no women participating in this scene, because they are very violent and provoking against people with a normal way of life. The "straight edge" movement stopped to exist in the early 90s, because the violence drove away the majority of participents, at a time, when most of you were not born yet. So u have no idea what kind of retarded idiots those guys were.
    It also had (at least in Germany) ties to the neo-nazi scene, that arose in the 90s.

Punks are the leftist alternative guys and girls that like to drink wine and beer, sit in public places and listen to sex pistols.

Some of them are living in Communities, often in so called "Wagenburg".

A picture of such a Wagenburg can be found here: http://www.goest.de/wagenplatz.htm
    Last edited by Holofernes; 2015-04-06 at 10:10 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Everyone I knew that became "straight edge" disappeared. It's like some sort of cult.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I became part of a huge group of straight edge people (I wasn't one but was friends with 1 or 2 and ended up in the group).

They kind of had a 50/50 split. 50% said they were straight edge but they used to sleep with eachother throughout the group and smoke weed and such at shows.
    The other 50% were massively pretentious assholes who were snobs to basically anyone that didn't listen to Hardcore music.

Straight Edge is just Edgy angsty teens.

Used to be a part of it, but got really turned off when 80% of the people I knew who had called themself Straight Edge started doing drugs and heavy drinking.

I'm cheap so that really limits your vices. Drugs and booze cost lots of money so do women.

Sticking with one woman saves money, well depending on the woman. Women also tend to keep you straight edged, at least in my experience they seem more responsible.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

It's strange though that people wonder how Straight Edge could be Punk. What about Skinheads? They're generally viewed as synonymous with neonazism, while in truth much of it also originated in the Punk subculture and there were always far left and far right Skins and a bunch of other things in between. Persistent subcultural movements are more complex and far less streamlined than outsiders and laypeople think.

Deleted
    Could never consider not drinking. I'm using alprazolam sometimes, and diazepam. So...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiili Mooneye View Post
    I'm using alprazolam sometimes, and diazepam. So...
    Well, yes. I have never ever tried alcohol or other similar things, but I do/did use diazepam from time to time. So I guess I am out as well.
    Last edited by mmocc02219cc8b; 2015-04-06 at 12:35 PM.