Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ...
    Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    I see people calling this retarded but it's a real disorder... in some people they feel a limb isn't a part of them and is completely alien to them.
    It's a mental disorder at best, people who feel compelled to maim themselves for whatever reason need help. Then again, I think the same thing of those who don't believe they were born the right gender either. I mean, it's all well and good if you were born a certain way, but intentionally changing yourself through maiming or surgery does not truly make you the way you think you should be. At least that is how I see things.

Quote Originally Posted by Sigma View Post
    I think calling them Insensitive Stupid Attention whores is a better description than "Transabled".
    Making yourself intentionally disabled..... Jesh I hope that these people don't get any of the benefits that a person with a disability caused through no fault of their own get.
    I have a sister that does this. She is just a lazy attention whore. She spent her entire 20's trying to get on disability by faking injuries. When that didn't work she spent her entire 30's trying to get on disability due to mental issues. She has taken so many pills trying to "kill" herself she has the mental fortitude of a pack of gum, but that still doesn't stop her from going on Facebook rants whenever something happens to her (she still fakes physical injury) and not everyone calls to check on her.
    I'm the root of all that is evil, yeah, but you can call me cookie.

Quote Originally Posted by Aimeez View Post
    Like I've stated, you do not need to go through any surgery to resolve gender dysphoria. And self-acceptance is tied massively with social acceptance. An individual can be entirely comfortable with their body following (for example HRT), their identity can be congruent and yet if those around them react negatively and shun them there will be adverse affects.
    yeah its not linked with actual surgery but there is still a transition to most, while it is true that self-acceptance depends on social acceptance, you still see many issues in communities that are supportive of it and where its very common, thailand, holland for example.

If this were the case then the percentage of people that have transitioned and regret it would be far higher. Currently it is only 2% for those undergoing surgeries and less for those who do not.
    I imagine my perception is biased then, most I personally know regret it, not that there are many so sample size is small.

Then what about WPATH, the CEL recommendations for the UK NHS?
    To be fair a lot of work is built upon other work, and the DSM is still the "bible" in those topics.

Take the example of body dysmorphia and compare it with gender dysphoria. Body dysmorphia is a mental illness as it can be treated with anti-depressants and cognitive behavioural therapy. Gender dysphoria is not a mental illness as treatment with anti-depressants and techniques used for other mental ailments are ineffective in reducing dysphoria but alteration of secondary and, in some cases primary, sex markers does alleviate gender dysphoria.
    That doesnt make much sense to me, because treatment for one is ineffective on the other does not make one an illness and the other a non-illness, the methodology and approach might simply be wrong for that specific illness, or neither are such (for argument sake, does not reflect my views)

Both are real, they are just different. As for transablism I don't know enough about it and there isn't enough literature online (most stuff seems to be from the past two days and is from right-wing sites attacking "liberals) to know if it is either a mental disorder or something more like gender dysphoria. If it is like the latter it poses very difficult questions as to how to treat it.
    yeah its an attempt to attack transgenderism, by drawing a parallel between the two and asking the same question, how can one be an illness and not the other?
    Personally it doesnt matter if it is an illness or not, it needs to be treated in the most effective way, if so far the best is to reassign, go for it, if in the future we find out there is an easier/better method, then it should be done instead.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kurioxan View Post
    yeah its not linked with actual surgery but there is still a transition to most, while it is true that self-acceptance depends on social acceptance, you still see many issues in communities that are supportive of it and where its very common, thailand, holland for example.

I imagine my perception is biased then, most I personally know regret it, not that there are many so sample size is small.

To be fair a lot of work is built upon other work, and the DSM is still the "bible" in those topics.

That doesnt make much sense to me, because treatment for one is ineffective on the other does not make one an illness and the other a non-illness, the methodology and approach might simply be wrong for that specific illness, or neither are such (for argument sake, does not reflect my views)

yeah its an attempt to attack transgenderism, by drawing a parallel between the two and asking the same question, how can one be an illness and not the other?
    Personally it doesnt matter if it is an illness or not, it needs to be treated in the most effective way, if so far the best is to reassign, go for it, if in the future we find out there is an easier/better method, then it should be done instead.
    Its only because people can't be bothered to figure out the psychological aspects behind those who want to have sex changes. You would think with all of the doctors and scientists in this world, they would have figured out why people think the way they do.

10+ Year Old Account
    Despite two warnings, I see we are still discussing a forbidden topic, so I am closing this thread.

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |