Page 1 of 7
... LastLast
    Deleted

European Space Agency plans town on the moon to replace ISS

Link: http://uk.businessinsider.com/europe...in-2024-2015-6
    Link: http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/lunarville-...e-moon-1505020

Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BFr2WmeQu74

Last year, the European Space Agency (ESA) made history by landing the first ever spacecraft — called Philae — on a comet.
    The ESA's next big mission for the history books: Building the first Moon habitat located in the Shackleton crater — a 2.6-miles hole at the lunar south pole.

On June 7, ESA released a video describing how it plans to use cutting-edge technology such as 3D printers and inflatable habitats to accomplish this, with the goal of supporting up to four astronauts at a time inside the shelter.
    The future head of the European Space Agency (ESA) has said that the intergovernmental space exploration body is looking to build a village on the moon.

Professor Jan Woerner says that planning for the outer space village, which he calls 'Lunarville', could begin as soon as funding is found.

It would operate in lieu of the International Space Station (ISS) which orbits earth. The ISS cost £75bn ($115bn) to manufacture, but Lunarville would cost significantly more. However, Woerner is confident that countries from around the continent will help pay, and that the technological advances would be extremely beneficial.
    "The construction of a station on the moon would trigger a huge surge of technological innovation on Earth," he is quoted by the Mirror as saying.

"The back side of the Moon, which we can't see from Earth, would provide the best conditions for research where telescopes could be set up to have an undisturbed view into the depths of space," the professor continued.

"At the start construction materials and food would take priority. Later it would be possible to produce water from hydrogen. Crops could be grown in greenhouses. Researchers would remain for several months at a time.

"A permanent shuttle service needs to be established in the case of medical emergencies. There is still so much about the Moon we don't know. And there are resources there which could prove valuable, like the gas Helium 3 which we do not have on earth. Helium 3 is considered as an energy source for the future which is vital for nuclear fusion."

15+ Year Old Account
    About time!
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

I would go live on the moon..

maybe..

or just get a really strong telescope to watch the moon people because that's cool as hell.

10+ Year Old Account
    would the inhabitants be called lunatics?

Deleted
    I read 'to replace ISIS', god damn terrorists..

10+ Year Old Account
    Do it do it do it.

Deleted
    Stuff like this is why I'm a proud European.

Though I would've prefered a more interesting name for the settlement.. like Copernicus, or something.

Umm.....how do they plan to deal with Solar flares, micro particle impacts and normal lunar impacts? And once they are outside the Earths magnetic field.....the radiation danger will be much greater. Even now my understanding is than on the ISS, astronauts receive a years worth of normal Earth radiation exposure daily. It would be much greater on the Moon.

Part of me suddenly wanted to join the ESA.

Then I realised, terrible ping from the Moon.

Quote Originally Posted by Taftvalue View Post
    I read 'to replace ISIS', god damn terrorists..
    Damn those Moon terrorists.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kulanae View Post
    Umm.....how do they plan to deal with Solar flares, micro particle impacts and normal lunar impacts?
    Basically by living underground. The plan appears to be to use inflatable habitats, and cover them over with a thick layer of lunar regolith put in place using 3D printing techniques.

A few feet of what is basically moon cement will provide significant protection against radiation and objects falling from the sky.
    Last edited by Masark; 2015-06-09 at 07:25 AM.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

The bigger problem would be health issues really, given the known impact of reduced gravity on human bodies especially for extended periods of time.
    "My successes are my own, but my failures are due to extremist leftist liberals" - Party of Personal Responsibility

Prediction for the future

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    Part of me suddenly wanted to join the ESA.

Then I realised, terrible ping from the Moon.
    Blizzard prob won't be able to catch you if you run a private server on the moon!
    If you are particularly bold, you could use a Shiny Ditto. Do keep in mind though, this will infuriate your opponents due to Ditto's beauty. Please do not use Shiny Ditto. You have been warned.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PosPosPos View Post
    The bigger problem would be health issues really, given the known impact of reduced gravity on human bodies especially for extended periods of time.
    Though less gravity should be somewhat easier to deal with than effectively none. Rather than having to strap them down to a treadmill, you could use weighted clothing or something to provide downward resistance.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by LilSaihah View Post
    Blizzard prob won't be able to catch you if you run a private server on the moon!
    WTB lunar realms! Though the population might make gathering a raid group problematic.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Butthurt Beluga View Post
    Sounds fun.

Maybe this will kickstart US space interest (probably not), would be nice to see NASA get more funding and do cool stuff.
    Iam pretty sure it will if its succesfull the US couldnt stand that.

Super cool idea! Please let it happen, please. Go ESA
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Thunder Focus Tea can now be combined with a bit of milk and a few drops of vanilla extract to produce a lovely hot beverage for all seasons.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomatketchup View Post
    Stuff like this is why I'm a proud European.
    What is this I dont even... ?

It depends on where you live in Europe I guess.

I guess I don't see the justification of the increased cost/risk over an earth orbit space station. Gathering minerals/gas could be more easily accomplished by rovers. Research is better accomplished in zero gravity which makes the space station the better option.

But hey, it's not my money so knock yourselves out if you can justify the cost.

Quote Originally Posted by Kulanae View Post
    I guess I don't see the justification of the increased cost/risk over an earth orbit space station. Gathering minerals/gas could be more easily accomplished by rovers. Research is better accomplished in zero gravity which makes the space station the better option.

But hey, it's not my money so knock yourselves out if you can justify the cost.
    It could possibly allow them to remain on site for longer; as I understand there are health concerns when living in zero gravity (no resistance means your muscles go to shit), and being on the moon might reduce or eliminate those concerns.
    If you are particularly bold, you could use a Shiny Ditto. Do keep in mind though, this will infuriate your opponents due to Ditto's beauty. Please do not use Shiny Ditto. You have been warned.

Quote Originally Posted by LilSaihah View Post
    It could possibly allow them to remain on site for longer; as I understand there are health concerns when living in zero gravity (no resistance means your muscles go to shit), and being on the moon might reduce or eliminate those concerns.
    While there is gravity on the moon it is still less than on earth and more restrictions for simulating it.

Last November ESA landed on a comet
    Today Business Insider has found some YouTube channel re-uploading an old video by ESA and we thought it was news.
    What's more, we've extracted some gifs from the re-uploaded video, because fuck original content.
    Now watch: some other inane article we have about bombing the moon.