Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Odd. The game is running buttery smooth for me on my GTX 980ti.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Noctifer616 View Post
    The problem with W3 wasn't AMD's poor performance with tesselation, it was the fact that they overdid it on the hair and lowering the level of tesselation ended up giving the same image quality for far less performance. It's like 8xMSAA at 4k, sure, the IQ is better, but it's impossible to see. Also, as far as I remember the Tonga, which has improved tesselation peformance didn't really perform that much better in W3.
    Yeah, just checked it (computerbase one cause they did on and off), still runs bad.
    Quote Originally Posted by fixx View Post
    I honestly have no sympathy for AMD on this, because tesselation was the major selling point of DX11 released over six years ago, and AMD was the first GPU manufacturer to have hardware accelerated tesselation on their chips.
    What does sell point have to do with that? There are numbers of way to achieve pretty graphics.
    I mean AMD could partner up with game devs and start pushing heavy compute effects into the game. Would utterly suck for nVidia users.
    Last edited by Remilia; 2015-06-25 at 07:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Remilia View Post
    What does sell point have to do with that?
    All GPU manufacturers knew years ago already that tesselation will be a big thing with DX11 so they can't complain now if their tesselation support sucks.

It's not Nvidia being unfair if they make sure their cards meet and exceed DX requirements because that's the main thing game devs care about. Instead it's AMD's own fault and own problem if they focus on something completely different (compute for cryptocurrency miners) than what is being asked for.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Remilia View Post
    I mean AMD could partner up with game devs and start pushing heavy compute effects into the game. Would utterly suck for nVidia users.
    Nvidia has done that for years with PhysX. It's totally optional and very little used.

All GPU manufacturers knew years ago already that tesselation will be a big thing with DX11 so they can't complain now if their tesselation support sucks.

It's not Nvidia being unfair if they make sure their cards meet and exceed DX requirements because that's the main thing game devs care about. Instead it's AMD's own fault and own problem if they focus on something completely different (compute for cryptocurrency miners) than what is being asked for.
    Irrelevant. Overdoing tesselation is a major performance impact on both NVidia and AMD cards. It is certainly a bigger hit on AMD cards, but still, it is completely unnecessary. Your opinion might be that doing tesselation on a flat surface is good for gaming, but in reality it's a flat surface and being rendered with 4 polygons or 10000 yields the same image quality, yet there is a big performance impact difference. Developers should never over do things to the point that performance is wasted on features that yield no difference when it comes to visuals.

Like I said before, 8xMSAA at 4k has superior visuals to 2xMSAA, but no one is actually going to see a difference. The same thing can apply to overdoing tesselation, and a lot of sites have revealed that hairworks in W3 can work just fine on AMD cards once the tesselation is tuned down, and it looks the same.

Given that the game is being pulled for excessive bugs, it's probably not AMD's fault.

Yup, PC port was outsourced to a shitty 3rd party company who fucked the whole thing up. It's a software issue not hardware.

10+ Year Old Account
    Maybe this time they'll remove all that Gameworks crap out.

Quote Originally Posted by Dukenukemx View Post
    Maybe this time they'll remove all that Gameworks crap out.
    Why would they? I've been seeing a lot of people having zero issues with the game overall, even with gameworks effects turned on.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Titan117 View Post
    Why would they? I've been seeing a lot of people having zero issues with the game overall, even with gameworks effects turned on.
    Must be why it got taken off steam.

Quote Originally Posted by Titan117 View Post
    Even more people can't play it at all. And this is independent of their graphics card brand.

I guess that's what happens when a thousand person strong team makes a console game, and then gets a team of half a dozen developers to re-engineer the game for PC in less time than it took them to make the original.

Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log View Post
    I guess that's what happens when a thousand person strong team makes a console game, and then gets a team of half a dozen developers to re-engineer the game for PC in less time than it took them to make the original.
    Shitty console ports have existed as long as consoles...

This one was particularly shitty though

Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log View Post
    This one was particularly shitty though
    I really love those that have the PS/XB controller buttons referred in UI instead of keyboard commands.

Deleted
    You people must be young if you think PC gaming has had "great performance and awesome graphics" all the time or then you have a very selective memory.

There have been PC-exclusive (mostly because console was at several points in gaming history literally dead) where the games have been, to put this nicely, utterly fucking horrible unoptimized garbage that was never tested for anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Miuku View Post
    You people must be young if you think PC gaming has had "great performance and awesome graphics" all the time or then you have a very selective memory.
    Seen low quality ports since C64 times (from arcade games), so no, you're off by few decades.

There have been PC-exclusive (mostly because console was at several points in gaming history literally dead) where the games have been, to put this nicely, utterly fucking horrible unoptimized garbage that was never tested for anything.
    99% of poorly optimized games have been shitty ports. There has been very few cases of bad performance (low fps) on PC games when played with "recommended" (not minimum) specs but whole lot of buggy games. I dont actually remember any. Care to provide a list of examples? (Anything from Bethesda is simply buggy, they always release beta quality products).

Or maybe you're just tad confused?
    Last edited by fixx; 2015-06-26 at 09:31 PM.

Seeing a badly optimized PC-exclusive is quite rare, but it does happen at times, but almost never to a point where for 50% of the recommended specs it's unplayable.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigvizz View Post
    Yup, PC port was outsourced to a shitty 3rd party company who fucked the whole thing up. It's a software issue not hardware.
    Well, it is a bit of both really. A lot of performance related issues for AMD cards are because of Gameworks, not really the cards themselves. I put a lot of onus on Nvidia, but the studio that did the work fucked up royally too. Either way, AMD has a rather short history of not doing enough to support developers with GPU optimization, but a lot of this comes down to a shitty developer studio that didn't know what they were doing that took on a project that they shouldn't have. Warner Brothers also needs to be blamed for allowing this crap to actually be released without properly testing it internally themselves.

Deleted
    Or maybe you're just tad confused?
    Well from recent games, how about Red Orchestra 2? ARMA (2/3), with the recommended specs, is just laughable.

There's a lot of examples where the recommended specs on the box gives you completely subpar experience and requires you to run at medium or even low details, simply because the games were tested on gargantuan high end machines.

The thing is you can't even say its a shitty console port anymore. Because the console version is shitty as well.

At this point its just devs being lazy fucks and not optimizing the game good enough on any platform. Consoles and PC alike had shitty games last year and it seems we are getting some this year. Now the console version is way more playable then the PC version so I highly recommend it over it. I am happy PC gamers can finally speak up and request refunds for this shit.

There is zero reason for a game to come out and be as broken has ones have been over the past 2 years. I don't care what platform you enjoy you want a 100% working product and for awhile now all platforms have been getting the shaft on it.

besides Wii-U/Moble there shit just seems to work.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

10+ Year Old Account
    On my main rig in sig. Aside from some ANNOYING stretching issues on ultrawide, that foruntately only happens on some cutscenes, I'm not experiencing that many issues really. A notable framerate dip once stepping into the batmobile but in all other instances it has been ok.

I ran with all the gameworks settings turned on. Because shiny!

On my HTPC the memory leak bug was too much. That rig has an ivy i5, 8GB RAM and GTX 750Ti. I get the impression that the 750Ti actually is enough for 1080p at medium-ish settings. But due to the memory leak and the "low" amount of RAM the system has, the game will crash regardless.

I'm talking from a strict 30fps perspective, though. I'm one of the odd balls that actually agreed with Ubisoft that one time, when they claimed 30 fps could be an artistic choice. This is not a competitive shooter game, so 30 fps lock isn't upsetting me as much as it seemingly does others. Though I DO realize they probably took this "artsy decision" and tied it to 30 in order to lock some physics settings to a commonly achievable framerate, and that was probably due to pure lazyness/incompetence. You know the porters are nabs just reading the commented lines in the .ini files of the game.