Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    it's not about getting your nuts stepped on, it's about the joy you get for not messing up, and not getting crushed nuts.

10+ Year Old Account
    TOA and COE....sounds kinda familiar.

I think its best to check who is making the game 1.st.

So i did some research:
    Founded in 2015 by industry veterans Jeromy Walsh and Eddie Smith.

Jeromy Walsh:
    Programming/Engineering
    Dungeons & Dragons: Dragonshard (2005) (Additional Programming)
    Mercenaries: Playground of Destruction (2005) (Additional Programming)
    Star Wars: Battlefront (2004) (Additional Programming)
    The Lord of the Rings: War of the Ring (2003) (Programmers)

Jeromy Walsh, Owner/CEO

Jeromy is the creative and technical director of Soulbound Studios. With his relentless passion for creating new worlds, developing new game systems, and solving tough problems, he uses his imagination, technical acumen, and past business experience to drive the long-term strategy. A 15 year veteran of the game industry, Jeromy began programming games in the early 90's, beginning as a MUD Wizard writing LPC code in text-based Multi-User Dungeons he quickly moved to developing 3D games and First-Person Shooters. After finishing degrees in Computer Science and Psychology from Missouri S&T he joined Liquid Entertainment as a Tools/Engine Programmer and later Pandemic Studios as their Senior/Lead Tools Programmer.

Jeromy has numerous credited and uncredited titles in the Free Roaming Adventure and RTS genres including Dungeons & Dragon: Dragonshard, Mercenaries, and Star Wars Battlefront. He was most recently an Instructor at DigiPen Institute of Technology and a Senior Software Engineering Lead for Microsoft. When he’s not programming, Jeromy is a lover of board and card games, fantasy literature, ancient mythology, and has spent over 20 years as a storyteller and game master across multiple digital and print role playing systems, including Dungeons & Dragons, White Wolf, and Pathfinder.

That checks.

Eddie Smith

Ed Smith has been a concept artist in the video game/entertainment industry for 15 years. He has worked on notable titles such as Halo, Halo 2, F.E.A.R3, and his latest credit, the upcoming XBOX One title - Ryse-Son of Rome.

http://edsmithart.net/

Game looks legit. The guy who made a tread...not.
    Don't sweat the details!!!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dum8kid View Post
    it's not about getting your nuts stepped on, it's about the joy you get for not messing up, and not getting crushed nuts.
    And the entire time you're playing in dread of the moment that you do mess up, as opposed to being able to immerse yourself in the game/lore/world and enjoy yourself.

Does the almost universally negative response to your topic tell you nothing?
    Appreciate your time with friends and family while they're here. Don't wait until they're gone to tell them what they mean to you.

Also, just because something isn't as successful as wow like wildstar, gw2, and ffxiv doesn't mean they're failures, they have their target audience, which wildstar's audience wasn't hardcore.

- - - Updated - - -

It does tell me something, it tells me that many gamers have become a group of people that don't want to have to work for something, they want instant gratification, congrats you're the best in the land for not actually putting in effort wooo

10+ Year Old Account
    which wildstar's audience wasn't hardcore.
    Wildstar's developers stating at every opportunity that they were targeting the 'old school MMO players' who like things like 40 man/super-difficult raids and consistently challenging content >>> some random schmoe with 7 posts saying they weren't. Just sayin'.
    Appreciate your time with friends and family while they're here. Don't wait until they're gone to tell them what they mean to you.

Well, the gamers that want to actually earn their kudos and victory are still out there, quiet, but out there.

10+ Year Old Account
    It does tell me something, it tells me that many gamers have become a group of people that don't want to have to work for something, they want instant gratification, congrats you're the best in the land for not actually putting in effort wooo
    Oh look, more hyperbole! Only this time, its mixed in with a dash of butthurt because people aren't particularly interested in this game. If you're not a dev/company shill plugging your own product, why are you taking it so personally that people don't want an MMO that kills your character regardless of how good you are?

Pointing out bad ideas for games and not wanting to be challenged are 2 different things.
    Quote Originally Posted by True Anarch View Post
    Never claimed I was a genuis.
    Quote Originally Posted by Furitrix View Post
    I don't give a fuck if cops act shitty towards people, never have.

Well, the gamers that want to actually earn their kudos and victory are still out there, quiet, but out there.
    Yes, but are there enough of them to make an undertaking like an MMO financially viable?

Certainly there's a market for tough games, but the MMO model relies on a steady flow of income from some source in order to stay in business.

Personally, I don't see it being possible to get an MMO of this type of stated difficulty off the ground by anything less than a long-established game company with money to burn on it. And even then, I doubt it would last more than a year before it was deemed a money hole.

I think the fact no big-name studio has tried to produce a game like this says something about its viability.

Rather, I think a game like Shards Online, which claims it will allow you to customize your own game server with the rules you want it to run on(including permadeath)stands more of a chance than a game which is only this way and no other way.

But I admit I could be wrong. Time will tell.

Also, just because something isn't as successful as wow like wildstar, gw2, and ffxiv doesn't mean they're failures, they have their target audience, which wildstar's audience wasn't hardcore.

- - - Updated - - -

Wildstar wasn't aimed at the hardcore? That is news to most of us. Damn you have come from on high to alert us to what is going on. Thank god you are here to 'save' us with this new MMO with perma death! Because that is soooo hardcore! Nothing liked getting murdered by a griefer or killed because you went DC to liven up the MMO genre!

LOL at your 2nd line. Don't want to work for something? Yeah because games like Everquest 1 were totally push a button, get loot, oh wait. Go run some mythic raids in WoW and chime about how 'instant gratification' it was. Plenty of needless grinds in Wildstar as well.

Hey guess what buddy. You can piss and moan about people being the best in the land for not putting in effort, but the difference between us? We're playing games and you are just wishing for some pipedream MMO. Have fun with that.

- - - Updated - - -

What all 12 of you? Earning kudos and victory does not mean those people are clamoring for permadeath either bud.

Deleted
    Let's first start of with a link to their website. Any questions, if they have been answered can be found there.
    chroniclesofelyria.com or googling Chronicles of Elyria
    Friend code: 6BF9CF

Now, let's delve into the matter at hand, what is Chronicles of Elyria?

Well in short it's an up and coming mmorpg that really emphasizes dynamic change, and immersive gameplay. To the point where they introduced a game mechanic not seen in mmo's, permadeath. I'm sure your first reaction is probably, why would I invest time into a character just to lose him/her and be forced to start all over? They answer this with, 'The Soul', it remembers its past lives and acts more as your character than the body does as you go from body to body. It should be noted that while your character does age and will die eventually, don't think you'll be jumping from body to body constantly. Assuming your life isn't cut short by violent means, your character will live to the random ripe old age of 80-120. To give perspective to this, 4 real life days is equal to a single game year, that means you can expect 10-16 MONTHS out of a character. It should also be mentioned that once you do pass on you will "lose" your skills, this is a new body and new person after all, but because your soul remembers all of your lives, you're compensated with accelerated learning in the skills you obtained in your previous lives, making it easy to catch up, and then surpass your former self.

Now that you've got an idea of what you're stepping into, let me tell you about the 5 core goals, or ideas behind Chronicles of Elyria. Jumping right in, the first focuses in on the dynamicness of the world, which is summed up best in one of their dev journals, "I think of this in very simple terms - if something in the world can change, whether through player interaction or naturally over time - it should." The second of these ideas is the belief that everything should be earned, no more are the days where you're the greatest hero in the world just because you dinged 100. You claim to be such a great hero? Prove it, by putting something on the line, whether it's money, honor, or life, reward always comes with risk. Which leads us into the third idea, skill. While your character becomes more skillful you should aswell, because every skill your character learns should require some degree of skill on the player's part. Be it cutting down a foe, forging the finest of blades, or finding which direction you need to go to get home. Another idea of theirs is that the story should always be moving forward, not moving at set intervals of when a patch or expansion comes out. They do this by truly putting the power of the story into players hands, nothing like a theme park game when they force to follow on rails with no control, and so much more story than a sandbox which relies on you making your own story. Leaving us with the fifth and last idea, everything should have a sense of realism, we're not talking about graphics here, everything should react how you would expect it to react in the real world, npcs, weather, weather's effects on the land and on tree's just to name a few, it's these little details that create a strong immersion.

There is so much more i could talk about, but in truth if I haven't convinced you to at least go look at it, I should go train my charisma some more. Thank you for taking the time to listen to my boring monologue, and if I did convince you to look into and even sign up on their website I would be honored if you would use my friend code when signing up. This wasn't written in hopes of getting more referrals, use my code or not, the goal was to spread awareness about this truly one of a kind and amazing game to be. Once again, thank you.

Friend Code: 6BF9CF

TL;DR Chronicles of Elyria is an amazing game currently in development and you should go check them out.
    Nice try, friend. But your attempt at selling your own game is really transparent. And it sounds really terrible. Why anyone would want to play with these risks and punishments is beyond me and is very niché.

- - - Updated - - -

You raise a fair point, but the concept is solid, it's only a matter of time until someone gets it right... Right?
    "The concept is solid". But you speak like you've played it and you even offer a code that implies it can be played.
    Words a dev would use. Everything about you screams dev or promoter. Especially the choice of words and the cautiously optimistic attitude.

10+ Year Old Account
    Advertising is not allowed here, but I wish this game the best of luck.