Page 1 of 12
... LastLast
    Deleted

The UK is suffering from a bad atmosphere

Though technically about BREXIT we won't be going into political reasons etc and more discuss the atmosphere from the people I personally experience.

Firstly I voted for neither IN or OUT but my family voted OUT. What I have noticed however is a really uncomfortable atmosphere that emulates the nastiness of the campaign. I'll try and give examples.

I was talking to a EU resident that lives here who had always being passive. However after the results he's become hostile towards British people and lamenting how nobody wants him here. I also heard another couple trash talking REMAIN voters as traitors. One of my nurses is upset we voted OUT and it's really awkward. Even my own mother talks about it in a way that's uncomfortable. That's not even mentioning FB where alleged friends are turning on each other. I even watched a comedy show about it which ultimately wasn't funny and just uncomfortable viewing.

For me I feel in the middle because I have friends and loved ones from both sides and have to listen to the nastiness. Anybody else feeling this

15+ Year Old Account
    Maybe because for you it doesn't matter.
    Many of those who voted one way or another were confident it was the right decision, and that the opposite would have negative consequences on their lives.
    What's the surprise?

The only sad thing is hostility vs either side, like some sort of racism.
    But "hostility" towards those that voted differently, is understandable.
    Why did you create a new thread? Use the search function and post in existing threads!
    Why did you necro a thread?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nurvus View Post
    Maybe because for you it doesn't matter.
    Many of those who voted one way or another were confident it was the right decision, and that the opposite would have negative consequences on their lives.
    What's the surprise?

The only sad thing is hostility vs either side, like some sort of racism.
    But "hostility" towards those that voted differently, is understandable.
    I personally hoped people would be mature enough to respect others democratic vote and not get personal

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    I personally hoped people would be mature enough to respect others democratic vote and not get personal
    That's where you are mistaken.

15+ Year Old Account
    I don't get personal, but again, it's really about how deeply you believe it will affect you.
    Stuff like who becomes prime minister is not as devastating as leaving or joining EU, because of the cascade of repercussions it may have.
    In most cases, people are probably overreacting, but there's the chance they might actually be right about being afraid and angry.
    Time will tell.
    Why did you create a new thread? Use the search function and post in existing threads!
    Why did you necro a thread?

10+ Year Old Account
    All those racist and xenophobic people (majority of English people) are coming out now. I work with a lot of foreigners, most of them Poles and the amount of "jokes" of them getting the fuck out of here coming out of our colleagues is insane. Even thou' they make it sound like a joke we all know they mean it and Poles are being Poles, they just smile and get on with it.
    English people are very very very racist and xenophobic at heart, it's just that 'till now they had to hide it....no dogs, blacks, irish or poles....???

Anybody else feeling this
    I hold British citizenship (second citizenship), but I don't live in the UK and I haven't voted because I haven't been registered for voting at any point, so I wasn't eligible.

After the vote I actively despise the UK as a political entity. I wish and strongly desire its utter and complete political and economic failure. This feeling is especially focused on Leave voters. If you are a Leave voter whatever your supposed reason was -I literally hate you, and have nothing but infinite ill will towards you.

I'm pro-Scottish and Irish independence (I never was in the past) I completely wrote off the UK as country.

Nigel Farage is the modern incarnation of a mid 1930's Adolf Hitler for me, and Boris Johnson makes me want to throw up whenever he crosses my mind.

I have zero tolerance left for xenophobia, nativism, stupidity and ignorance. If you voted Leave you squarely fall into one or all of those 4 categories. I refuse to let the world slip back into pre-1940's. Euroscepticism is that, a pre 1940's Europe.

I also used to be fairly passive about my contempt before, but now I am angry enough to argue face to face, to troll the forums as Leavers have for years, and even more now I actively try to avoid the purchase of anything that was made, produced in Britain or is an identifiable British brand. If you are a leave voter and I'm aware of it, I wouldn't even hire you even if you fully qualify for the job and I need you.

I don't think I have ever felt so much animosity in my life towards anything as I feel today towards Britain and ESPECIALLY Leave voters.
    Last edited by Mihalik; 2016-06-30 at 01:42 PM.

I think that this xenophobic atmosphere was here before Brexit, it was a large part of why people voted the way they did.

*shrug* there is very little to respect about the reason a lot of people voted leave.

I'm not one to respect someone for being ill-informed. And the shit-show that was the 48 hours since Friday showed that, lo and behold; a lot of the voters were woefully misled.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

I think the "bad atmosphere" theory of disease went out in the 1800's.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Quote Originally Posted by AeneasBK View Post
    *shrug* there is very little to respect about the reason a lot of people voted leave.

I'm not one to respect someone for being ill-informed. And the shit-show that was the 48 hours since Friday showed that, lo and behold; a lot of the voters were woefully misled.
    This. I have no tolerance left for hate and or stupidity.

Both sides are being nasty twats, the difference is that the remain side seems to believe they are above everyone else, and that everyone who voted out is some unintelligent working-class cretin who shouldn't be allowed to have an opinion.
    It's disgusting behaviour.

You see how they are constantly trying to piss at the elderly for voting, as if the elderly is incapable of caring for their own country and the state of the country they leave behind for their children, and the children of their children.
    This sums up the entire remain side really.

Leave side isn't all that much better, as alot of the votes boils down to simple racism instead of the fear of losing work and livelihood thanks to mass immigration forced on them by EU.
    But i know what side has been acting worse after this, and it sure as hell is the remain side, despite how much they try to deny it.
    Personally i'm neutral on all this and i'm just enjoying the salt, i can see both positive and negative sides on both remain and leave.

Second to that - a lot of people voted in their own selfish self-interest; rather than for the common good. I have very little respect for that attitude myself (makes me want to go to their home and burn everything to the ground and watch as they hypocritically ask others for help, but that's neither here nor there, and mostly because the inidividuals in question are my direct family who are a shower of bastards the world could do without :P)
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

Quote Originally Posted by Xekus View Post
    Both sides are being nasty twats, the difference is that the remain side seems to believe they are above everyone else, and that everyone who voted out is some unintelligent working-class cretin who shouldn't be allowed to have an opinion.
    The thing is that Remain side is right and the Leave side is wrong, and those who voted leave are exactly that, unintelligent working class cretins, with a good dose of racists and lunatics on the side.

15+ Year Old Account
    Atleast you still have footba-oh...

Quote Originally Posted by Mihalik View Post
    The thing is that Remain side is right and the Leave side is wrong, and those who voted leave are exactly that, unintelligent working class cretins, with a good dose of racists and lunatics on the side.
    Having an unintelligent working class that believes stupid racist things is ultimately the fault of your government and poor policies towards the lower classes, whether educationally or otherwise. As it is here in the US, with ours.

15+ Year Old Account
    That's just you being incapable or unwilling to understand the arguments to leave, which makes it very ironic that you're calling them unintelligent.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    Having an unintelligent working class that believes stupid racist things is ultimately the fault of your government and poor policies towards the lower classes, whether educationally or otherwise. As it is here in the US, with ours.
    "you can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink" and all that

Quote Originally Posted by Revi View Post
    Atleast you still have footba-oh...
    I'm not a big soccer fan but as far as I can tell soccer fans (not exclusively English ones) say English football league best football league, or have times changed?

So I guess yeah every 2 years we build a hype train and it gets demolished after a couple of matches but the rest of the time we're doing okay... I think, don't really care

I'm just amazed UEFA/FIFA haven't banned England from a few tournaments till our fans are either grounded so they can't leave the UK or just put in prison for the duration of international tournaments

I hold British citizenship (second citizenship), but I don't live in the UK and I haven't voted because I haven't been registered for voting at any point, so I wasn't eligible.

After the vote I actively despise the UK as a political entity. I wish and strongly desire its utter and complete political and economic failure. This feeling is especially focused on Leave voters. If you are a Leave voter whatever your supposed reason was -I literally hate you, and have nothing but infinite ill will towards you.

I'm pro-Scottish and Irish independence (I never was in the past) I completely wrote off the UK as country.

Nigel Farage is the modern incarnation of a mid 1930's Adolf Hitler for me, and Boris Johnson makes me want to throw up whenever he crosses my mind.

I have zero tolerance left for xenophobia, nativism, stupidity and ignorance. If you voted Leave you squarely fall into one or all of those 4 categories. I refuse to let the world slip back into pre-1940's. Euroscepticism is that, a pre 1940's Europe.

I also used to be fairly passive about my contempt before, but now I am angry enough to argue face to face, to troll the forums as Leavers have for years, and even more now I actively try to avoid the purchase of anything that was made, produced in Britain or is an identifiable British brand. If you are a leave voter and I'm aware of it, I wouldn't even hire you even if you fully qualify for the job and I need you.

I don't think I have ever felt so much animosity in my life towards anything as I feel today towards Britain and ESPECIALLY Leave voters.
    How fucking stupid would you have to be, to decide that you hate every SINGLE person that happens to hold a different view than your own, and think that's a reasonable position to hold. Get over it.