Thread: Crossbows

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Puupi View Post
    Not all hunting is poaching.

Simple minded? Please do elaborate why it is a great hobby instead of resorting to petty insults.

I'm not against all hunting. Some of it is alright. But calling it a great hobby is absolutely madness.

It's like corporal punishment. If someone calls corporal punishment a great hobby that person deserves an instant punch in the face.

Hunting for food, killing for self protection and hunting for conservatory reasons are all fine and dandy.
    Hunting can be a hobby. To assume that means they are just killing the animal and leaving it there is a bit presumptive no?

One could argue it's a great hobby in that it does help keep animal populations in check and generally has a very healthy impact on the environment if done correctly. Plus a lot of people find it brings them back to a more natural state where you have to actually go out and work for your food VS grabbing some steak at the store.

If you don't feel that that's fine but some of the reactions in here are so over the top mad at a guy who is asking about a bow while following all local laws in regards to hunting legally. It's just insane to me.

If you don't like hunting fine but don't harass a guy who does.

Quote Originally Posted by Slacker76 View Post
    Most places require a tag in addition to obtaining a hunting license. If the hunting unit has a quota system, well you need to get your name in the lottery. It's getting a bit late in the year to get in on a lottery. I mean the drawing for WA special hunts is like next week.

I mean if the OP was a serious hunter, he would know the restrictions for crossbow hunting in his area. Like whats the minimum draw weight of the crossbow he needs? Whats the minimum stock length? Is a crossbow even allowed for archery season. Some states restrict crossbows to the modern firearms season.

Is this guy a serious hunter or the next Dylan Roof or Adam Lanza? We have no way to verify this. Just the words he chooses to use when asking about weapons advice.
    Oh I know it. I plan on putting in my tag next year.

I was simply saying in general it's not nearly as rigorous here as wherever crazy is from. Plus his extreme anger that someone can hunt relatively freely here was interesting.

On a side note I do plan on looking into crossbow hunting somewhere down the road.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.” - General James Mattis

I love all the "no skill to shoot an animal from range" shit posters.
    READ and be less Ignorant.

If a hunter can't get a quick, clean kill most of the time then they shouldn't be hunting.

Partying in Valhalla
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sorrxz View Post
    You just got license a few days ago and you think you have permission to kill a deer? Give me a break... You are full of shit. You wouldn't even get permission to kill a pigeon.
    And based on your replies, I wouldn't give you license anyways. You seems to be mentally unstable.

Anyways, I'm out of here.
    Someone doesn't get that other countries have different laws. I can go kill a certain class of animals right now, with no license. With a license, and in season, another class of animals. With a license and a tag, large game. No "local hunters" or whatever strange laws you have.
    Quote Originally Posted by mayhem008 View Post
    Where I live it's pretty much open season on Coyotes. I don't believe there's a bag limit on them because there's so many o them.
    Yeah, coyotes are considered pests here, and there's no license requirement or limit to how many you can bag.
    Hunting for food, killing for self protection and hunting for conservatory reasons are all fine and dandy.
    And as it just so happens, the vast majority of states that hand out tags, hand them out for conservatory reasons. gasp!
    In my state, they get handed out to control the population.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Annoying View Post
    And as it just so happens, the vast majority of states that hand out tags, hand them out for conservatory reasons. gasp!
    In my state, they get handed out to control the population.
    I'm sure if Niel DeGrasse Tyson was setting your quotas, everything would be super scientific and hunky dorey.

Truth is, your state's quotas are set by the head of the DNR or head of DFW (who answers to the DNR), which is a political appointment. Sure he can follow the recommendation of all those hard working state biologists. But they're also subject to pressure from special interest groups. Like ranchers, farmers, hunting guides, and the few odd conservancy groups. If you're really lucky, your governor appoints a former ranching lobbyist to head the DNR and its open season. There's a lot of money at stake for guides and hunting leases, ranchers hate anything not named a cow.

Fistfights have nearly broken out at some quota advisory committees.

Yeah I'd like to tell myself I'm doing it for conservancy reasons, or feeding the poor children of the world. But knowing human nature tells me better.

Quote Originally Posted by stabetha View Post
    remember "in America guns are given out like candy" so if they want one the are able to get one.
    So, more than likely, they can't pass teh background test.

Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    Meant Wetback. That's what the guy from Home Depot called it anyway.
    ==================================
    If you say pls because it is shorter than please,
    I'll say no because it is shorter than yes.
    ==================================

People with no clue regarding hunting/fishing make fools of themselves in these threads.

People that hunt, and the farmers/governments that grants them the right to do so, knows a helluvalot more about animal populations and impact on the rest of the biotops then some urban vegan hipster.

I mainly hunt grouse, but have the last years hunted elk due to the grouse population beeing low in my parts, and need to rebuild. (Which means that noone can hunt while it does). My elk "team" can kill a calf and a older male this year, and we have to turn in parts of the animals to the government to prove that we have killed the right kinds. If we kill, for instance, a fertile cow, we might get barred from hunting for several years. Killing the bulls is also healthy since the old ones tend to lead to inbreeding, and it's good that young roamers refreshes the bloodline.

Had a friend of mine that used to bowhunt a lot. And he'd always cringe whenever someone said they want to "try" it some day.
    As he put it, deer/elk hunting isn't for amateurs; the first shot is a kill shot.
    He was very much the environmentalist. Like Waynhim above, he knew the animals in the area, populations...and when the area was "sick." (illegal dumping)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamdwelf View Post
    IS it really hunting if you use a ranged weapon?
    IS it really eating if you use a grocery?

My dad use to go out crossbow hunting had a really nice Horton years ago, I think the black powder season was\is longer than regular guns too.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.
    Why not make your own crossbow? Might as well go the full way.

Hunting is barbaric but if the law (where OP lives) allows it then you really got no business harassing the OP about wanting to do it.

Crossbows should be outlawed. They have only one purpose, to kill. /sar

Not all hunting is poaching.

Simple minded? Please do elaborate why it is a great hobby instead of resorting to petty insults.

I'm not against all hunting. Some of it is alright. But calling it a great hobby is absolutely madness.

It's like corporal punishment. If someone calls corporal punishment a great hobby that person deserves an instant punch in the face.

People hunt for food. It's a thing a lot of animals on this planet do. Killing an animal for prize and letting it rot is a horrible act which is condemned though out most the world.

I don't see how you feel hunting can't be a hobby. Gardening can be a hobby and it's basically the same concept. Even if the hunter doesn't eat the meat, it can be sold to a butcher that sells it to others for consumption.

Can you explain why you think hunting can't be a hobby?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mentia View Post
    People hunt for food. It's a thing a lot of animals on this planet do. Killing an animal for prize and letting it rot is a horrible act which is condemned though out most the world.
    So, read again what I wrote. The last sentence on the thing you quoted.

I don't see how you feel hunting can't be a hobby. Gardening can be a hobby and it's basically the same concept. Even if the hunter doesn't eat the meat, it can be sold to a butcher that sells it to others for consumption.

Can you explain why you think hunting can't be a hobby?
    I never said hunting can't be a hobby. I said it isn't a good hobby.

Raping is also a hobby of rapists. It's not a good hobby, don't you agree?
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

So now you're comparing hunting to rape... Please come down off of your mountain before you fall.
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mayhem008 View Post
    So now you're comparing hunting to rape... Please come down off of your mountain before you fall.
    No, I'm not comparing hunting to rape. Can't you read?
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

What is a good hobby anyways? I mean, I would consider providing food for my family a "good hobby".

And I would consider rape a crime, not a hobby.

Quote Originally Posted by Taftvalue View Post
    Why not just use a gun instead?

I'm genuinely curious.
    bow season comes in first

The Unstoppable Force Theodarzna's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Taftvalue View Post
    Why not just use a gun instead?

I'm genuinely curious.
    I only own crossbows and have only ever hunted WITH a crossbow, mainly for the reason that I don't like loud noises and guns are really loud.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    i think I have my posse filled out now. Mars is Theo, Jupiter is Vanyali, Linadra is Venus, and Heather is Mercury. Dragon can be Pluto.
    On MMO-C we learn that Anti-Fascism is locking arms with corporations, the State Department and agreeing with the CIA, But opposing the CIA and corporate America, and thinking Jews have a right to buy land and can expect tenants to pay rent THAT is ultra-Fash Nazism. Bellingcat is an MI6/CIA cut out. Clyburn Truther.