Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

Chicago Style Hot Dogs

I just came back from 6 days in Chicago.... I knew in advance that I wanted a Chicago style hot dog. Two people - prior to my trip, and one person while on my trip - told me to never ask for ketchup on a hot dog. Now, I would not do that as I prefer mustard, but if I asked for ketchup and the vendor said "no", I would just walk away.

That said, I had Chicago style hot dogs in three places last week..... 2 were disgusting. One was AWESOME.

Now, I plan to have a party at my house featuring hot dogs from various parts of the USA. There are dozens of styles from all the regions.

Anyway, what goes on your "perfect" hot dog?

I like mustard, onions, relish..... and occasionally a bit of ketchup. Sometimes bacon, but if I do that, no relish.
    I am not a Republican or a Democrat..... I just hate Trump with a passion. If he was on fire I wouldn't piss on him to put him out.

Perfect is plain and simple like the hot dog god intended: Mustard and a bit of finely diced onion.

Though I also do appreciate a nice chili-cheese dog, a coney dog, and some specialties like a saurkraut dog. I would do a modified chicago dog since I hate tomato and I don't think pickles go on a hot dog, but I'd have to do it out of sight of the locals so they didn't run me out of town.

There's nothing wrong with putting ketchup on a hot dog. Or BBQ sauce. Or ranch dressing. Or maple syrup. I'll never understand why people care what someone else puts on their own food.

If I'm going to eat a hot dog, I'll put just ketchup on it because that's what I think tastes good.
    Quote Originally Posted by Djalil View Post
    I am ACTUALLY ASKING for them to ban me and relieve me from the misery of this thread.

Ketchup n cheese only, just like i like my burgers. Don't like mustard.

10+ Year Old Account
    I like ketchup on my hot dogs. With mustard and relish. Only down with onions if its like a chili dog or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinykong View Post
    There's nothing wrong with putting ketchup on a hot dog. Or BBQ sauce. Or ranch dressing. Or maple syrup. I'll never understand why people care what someone else puts on their own food.

If I'm going to eat a hot dog, I'll put just ketchup on it because that's what I think tastes good.
    Because humans like to mock, ridicule, and sometimes harm folks that dont do things they way the think things should be done. Be that how ones lives, acts, or even eats.
    "It doesn't matter if you believe me or not but common sense doesn't really work here. You're mad, I'm mad. We're all MAD here."

10+ Year Old Account
    every one of my key strokes is actually a brush stroke on the canvas that is the off-topic forum
    I like mustard/ketchup and onions...sauerkraut if its available.

Hoof Hearted!!!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Mustard, chili, cheese, bacon, and jalapenos.
    when all else fails, read the STICKIES.

10+ Year Old Account
    Last time I had a hotdog was like 15 years ago and vowed never to touch them again.

Fresh bun, grated tasty cheese, tomato sauce, hot dog, and finally dijonnaise mustard. In that order, sometimes I wrap the hot dog in bacon and fry it and sometimes fried finely diced onion between the cheese and tomato sauce.

Quote Originally Posted by Saucexorzski View Post
    Because humans like to mock, ridicule, and sometimes harm folks that dont do things they way the think things should be done. Be that how ones lives, acts, or even eats.
    Yes, I agree....but I have a hard time understanding a vendor refusing a person's ketchup...... but apparently in Chicago, it is pretty routine to be denied ketchup.
    I am not a Republican or a Democrat..... I just hate Trump with a passion. If he was on fire I wouldn't piss on him to put him out.

10+ Year Old Account
    My favorite is Koegel's hotdogs (made in Flint, MI, pork and beef deals) with Detroit style chili sauce on them. Any kind of beef or beef/pork dogs are fine as well with various toppings. I just hate relish as a topping.
    Tikki tikki tembo, Usagi no Yojimbo, chari bari ruchi pip peri pembo!

The best thing on a hot dog, is spicy chili, cheese, and more cheese.

Otherwise, I'll take it plain... or just a bit of ketchup.

Diced onions, chili, shredded cheddar cheese.
    And I saw, and behold, a pale horse: and he that sat upon him, his name was Death; and Hades followed with him. And there was given unto them authority over the fourth part of the earth, to kill with sword, and with famine, and with death, and by the wild beasts of the earth.

Scarab Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Trash the hot dog, substitute for a sausage.

Ketchup, mustard, relish, cheese, onion, high quality bun.
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)

10+ Year Old Account
    Divided Corporate States of Neo-Feudal Murica, Inc.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinykong View Post
    There's nothing wrong with putting ketchup on a hot dog.
    Yes there is. It's fucking disgusting.

Just ask Dirty Harry:

"...naw that doesn't bother me. But you know what does bother me?"

"What?"

"You know what makes me really sick to my stomach?"

"What?"

"It's what you stuff your face with on those hot dogs. Nobody, I mean NOBODY puts ketchup on a hot dog."

Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    Yeah, some vendors won't sell you hotdogs with ketchup on them, especially in places where the hotdog is well known, like Chicago. It ruins the flavor of the meat, since ketchup in the US is rather sweet. The taste is just too overbearing.

That said, my perfect hotdog bratwurst would have mustard, pepper, cheese and onions.
    Who can say what ruins the flavor? My wife only eats ketchup on a hot dog. My one daughter prefers ketchup and mustard. The other likes ketchup and sauerkraut. Seems goofy to piss off your customer based on your own preferences.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hot Dogs without Mustard is against the Geneva Convention.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

Quote Originally Posted by Caolela View Post
    Yes there is. It's fucking disgusting.
    So don't watch it?

I find mustard particularly disgusting, but if someone wants to coat their hot dog in it, that's their business. People need to spend less time worrying about other people.
    Quote Originally Posted by Djalil View Post
    I am ACTUALLY ASKING for them to ban me and relieve me from the misery of this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by GarlicGuy View Post
    Yes, I agree....but I have a hard time understanding a vendor refusing a person's ketchup...... but apparently in Chicago, it is pretty routine to be denied ketchup.
    It could be they dont have ketchup? Regardless its their business and imo if they dont want to serve a hot dog with ketchup thats their right to not.
    "It doesn't matter if you believe me or not but common sense doesn't really work here. You're mad, I'm mad. We're all MAD here."