Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Shadow Priest PVE Damage - Help please

Hello

Not sure what i'm doing wrong here, but in raids i'm only pushing about 3.7 dps on boss fights, and not even 3K on a target dummy.

my armory is here,

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...e&n=Direshadow

I know my opening rotation is fine, stacking my shadow weaving up to max before casting shadow word pain.

Other then that, i'm working on keeping my dots up all time and not letting them drop. Usually i recast VT when it hits 3 seconds. I mind blast whenever it's up. I re-cast Devouring Plague right off the bat whenever it's up.

Not sure what i'm doing wrong. Any suggestions?

80 Kingslayer Shadow Priest - Spirestone

Re: Shadow Priest PVE Damage - Help please

121 views and not one reply?

U should wait til about 2 seconds for vt to cast to allow it to tick the full way. Do you swd? VT SWP DP MB SWD MF MF.. should like look something like that

What raid buffs do you have? Also, you should aim for some SP trinkets. HR(to cap)>SP>all. One of the Spriests in my guild sits on 2700SP fully raid buffed... and he still has quite a few pieces to upgrade.

In a 25 man i've got all of the usuals.

MotW
    Kings
    Int
    Sp Food Buff
    SP Flask
    Inner Fire (Improved)

Sometimes we have a moonkin running with us as well, which is very nice...

I will admit I do need some more spell power trinkets, but it seems they're few and far between. I'm aiming for the razor scale Eye of the Broodmother and something else as well.

I do have a Illusion Darkmoon Card in my bank which gives me a base 111 extra spell power, but i've been hesitant to use it over my emblem trinket....

I'll expriment a little bit.

Quote Originally Posted by [-Spiritus-
    ]
    What raid buffs do you have? Also, you should aim for some SP trinkets. HR(to cap)>SP>all. One of the Spriests in my guild sits on 2700SP fully raid buffed... and he still has quite a few pieces to upgrade.
    Got the same =), 2.5k selfbuffed with inner fire, change your opener to something like VT > MB > DP > MF > SWP ..
    If you have dragon soul recast swp when you reach 10 stacks. And remember that ele shammy/demo lock/moonkin grants you with auras that can boost your dps up to 5k+ with top gear. Try to get 4 parts of t8 and legs from kt25, trinkets dragon soul (sarth 25), and broodmother eye (razor 10). Those to are bis when your hit caped. Try to do naxx 25 with pug, mace + igniter rod, ring from kt, if you have money craft belt from tailoring and boots. As i see your guild stucked @ Throim, so try to collect conquests to get head, and second part from 10 or 25 men.

Quote Originally Posted by Direshadow
    Hello

Not sure what i'm doing wrong here, but in raids i'm only pushing about 3.7 dps on boss fights, and not even 3K on a target dummy.

my armory is here,

I know my opening rotation is fine, stacking my shadow weaving up to max before casting shadow word pain.

Other then that, i'm working on keeping my dots up all time and not letting them drop. Usually i recast VT when it hits 3 seconds. I mind blast whenever it's up. I re-cast Devouring Plague right off the bat whenever it's up.

You're not providing any useful information. You've basically said, "I'm doing everything perfectly (except the VT casting, obviously), and I'm still doing poorly." Well, obviously you aren't doing everything perfectly =/

I'd try to get Illusion of the Dragon soul as well. An Elemental Shaman will help you tons with ToW. Check out this site for rankings on items: http://www.maxdps.com/priest/shadow.php

From what you said, refreshing VT at 3 seconds, you are clipping (removing) the last tick of the dot. Never clip dots, its mana inefficient and also saps your DPS. This goes for DP now that its cooldown is going to be removed.

For the fine nuances of Shadow DPS, check out shadowpriest.com, and also check out elitist jerks forums.

That said, unless you are really awesome with timing, have almost no latency or lag, you wont be doing very good single tgt dps compared to equally skilled and geared pure DPS, or even most hybrid dps. The one exception is in AOE fights (spam Mind sear) and multi-dotting fights such as Yogg in the last phase.

That won't change any time soon, because Priests can respec to a good PVE or PVP healer.

Quote Originally Posted by [-Spiritus-
    ]
    I'd try to get Illusion of the Dragon soul as well. An Elemental Shaman will help you tons with ToW. Check out this site for rankings on items: http://www.maxdps.com/priest/shadow.php
    This ranking is good but not best =) -> http://shadowpriest.com/viewtopic.ph...=20419&start=0

1) gear
    - overall looks like you take what you can get
    - too much hit
    - way too much spirit (wasted stat compared to crit/haste)
    - +2% Int Meta-gem?... I lol'd
    2) talents
    - I'd dump Spirit tab if you don't go hard on not getting oom.
    - 3/5 Improved Mind Blast... there's a never ending discussion if 5/5 should be taken or 4/5 would be sufficent, but 3/5 is not enough.
    3) Rotation
    - as mentioned, don't kill your final ticks
    - my rotation starts mit VT, MB, MF for 5 stacks shadow weaving, afterwards SW:P/DP
    - Recast SW:P when you gain a +%dmg buff, it won't add its damage with a soft-refresh

Quote Originally Posted by Direshadow
    Hello

my armory is here,

Seriously, why dont people take the time to read stickies or at least do some research before asking for help? If you read the shadowpriest dps 101 sticky you would have found most of the answers you are looking for but i'll take the time to reinforce the same points here.

1. Just because you think you are keeping your dots up doesnt mean you are, you need to study a wws log of several bosses and physically calculate your DoT uptime, if it isnt above 95% you need to refresh dots better. Also this idea of casting VT 3 seconds before it drops is absurd, doing that is clipping the last tick of VT which is a signficant dps loss, you need to get good enough to land your VT the very moment after the last tick.

1b. MB needs to be cast as close to every 7 seconds as possible, again check your WWS reports, what was your average MB? If its not lower than 7.2 seconds you need to work on your rotation. Ensure you cast MB before VT for MB/VT conflicts, this leads to less conflicts in the total encounter which is higher dps long term.

2. Goto www.shadowpriest.com and view the best raid gear thread, you should create a gearlist of items that are obtainable to you ensuring you reach 289hit. Work out which items provide the most effeceint hit, this can be done by looking at an item with hit and comparing it to the number one item on the list. You can rank pieces with a hit to lost PP ratio in a spreadsheet.

3. Ensure you gem and enchant for SP, ensure you are using the Chaotic Skyflare diamond and use Purified Twilight Opals to activate it. If the socket bonus provides sp it may be benefical to gem sp/crit... if you did point 2 you should be familiar with PP and you can simply work out the highest PP gem/socket bonus combination.

Keep in mind that the spell rotation/priority aspects apply to tank and spank encounters, those you find in naxx... analysing this type of info in a Uld encounter is probably counter productive... u can use training dummies to practice the rotation but forget the DPS number, concentrate on DOT uptime and your average MB cast... those are the numbers that matter.

This actually made me create an account.

3/5 Mind Blast.

Make it 5/5 and lose the improved healing. You are losing a ton of dps with that 1 second extra CD on mind blast.

watch for sundial to proc and reapply swp

Quote Originally Posted by theexorcist
    watch for sundial to proc and reapply swp
    No?

1st: as Gezis said 5/5 mind blast is big dps upgrade and acctually i have no idea why u choose improved healing instead of it...

2nd: read elitist jerks topic about spriest haste cap bcoz its the key to make ur rotation most effective ( im not 100% sure but around 390 haste makes u able to cast 2 mf while one mb cooldown )

Thanks for the help.

I actually have been messing around with gems alot, which is why there is now a spell power meta where there wasn't one before.

I think my main problem is the fact that i'm clipping VT. I'm almost certain I read that i'm supposed to refresh it at 3 seconds, but I guess that's a load of hullabaluh.

It's really a shame to have to lose that improved healing from VE, but since dispersion is going to be lowered to 2 minutes soon, I may just take one point out of meditation after 3.2 so I can get both 4/5 Mind blast and full talented VE.

Thanks for the help!

P.S.

After some more playing, i actually managed to get my dps up to 3.2 on a dummy consistantly by equipping that 111SP trinket. When raid buffs come along I think i'll be pretty much fixed.

@Brysiu: But remember if you have lags, low fps, more haste is helpful . I sit atm @ 2554sp, 274hit ( ally with dranei ), 18% crit, 540 haste. But i normally play with 300 ms lag because of wifi in home and my isp ( Telekomunikacja Polska ). Still need to change haste to crit , and imo play as you like you can still have a great dps while having a fun from this game .

oh, btw...

Everyone who suggests "Go to this thread at elitestjerks.com"

I can't stand when you people do that. Direct me to a page that has a write up of useful information not pages and pages of BS, and one or two tidbits of info. I have no desire to search for useful information in a 300 Page long thread.

You can keep ur improved VE by dropping imp shadowform ... there aren`t many fights ( if there are at all ) where that is usefull... if we would have had that when doing RoS in BT life would have been sweeter

Also one thing ppl here didn`t mention to you : if you check shadowpriest.com you`ll find a series of [no channeling] macros which will prevent you from losing MF ticks... sometimes when you refresh ur dots its very possible for you to interrupt a last MF tick and that is quite a nerf to ur dps also although in ur mind right now it might not seem much. I really suggest you check them out if you wanna really boost ur dps