Thread: [TV] Doctor Who

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Deuse View Post
    I'm starting to feel very disconnected from the storyline this half-season. I was expecting a big story around the mystery of Clara's identity, but instead we get random one-off episodes. The single episode stories would be fine if there were elements of Clara's mystery thrown in (like the crack in the wall) but there is nothing at all so far and it's distressing. Glad I've found the David Tennant episodes to keep me interested.
    I think that after the 50th we will get into the greater story arc

Quote Originally Posted by Kittyvicious View Post
    Actors are not our personal dream makers.
    YES THEY ARE HOW DARE YOU SUGGEST OTHERWISE!!

Quote Originally Posted by Frozenbeef View Post
    Also: Someone needs to end this guys reckless driving crusade -.-

Lol, that's pretty funny Never even noticed. It's probably someone who works for the show's car and every time they need a car to hit someone they use that one

Quote Originally Posted by Arrowstorm View Post
    Oh snap, a wild DIFFERENT OPINION appeared!
    Burn it with fire!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ridesdel View Post
    Actually I think the whole "great intelligence" thing we have seen a few times now will be part of the greater story arc. I mean they have always done this sort of thing where they do some episodes with the bigger picture and then a few smaller episodes that are more self contained mixed in. I almost want an "Adventures of The Doctor and Clara trying to get the South Pole" episode now though

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arlee View Post
    Burn it with fire!!!
    No don't! I don't want to get scorched because I also preferred the second episode over the last one.

I just felt that with a sunken, stuck submarine they could have done oh so much more. Was expecting a little better from Mark Gatiss tbh.

And yeah Eccleston is being a bit of a dick about the 50th anniversary. I get he doesn't want to get tied to a character and play him for long amounts of time, but it's not as if his career has been irreparably harmed by being the Doctor. Oh well. There's plenty of nicer Doctors going to be on it. :3

A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only one.

Deleted
    can anyone explain to me why he carries a barbie doll around with him?
    also, we need some 2part episodes

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ridesdel View Post
    Moffat has said the Clara storyline will be resolved in a timely fashion http://www.denofgeek.com/tv/doctor-w...a-in-series-7b. Also I imagine they are building the Great Intelligence to be the 50th anniversary foe, though that might be resolved at a different time.
    On the whole I enjoyed "Cold War"; while it wasn't the best episode and it's forced parallels to "Dalek" were largely unneeded it was an enjoyable reintroduction to an old foe. Next week's looks enjoyable as well. This series looks to be in decent shape with, in my opinion, the only real duffers being "Dinosaurs on a Spaceship" and " The Rings of Akhaten" but I don't think the break has done any favours to some people's perception of this series, and if it ends up the Great Intelligence blew up the TARDIS at the end of series 5 then all in all I won't have much complaints.

10+ Year Old Account
    Personal points from 'Cold War'

- It was nice to see a Cold War era story in the nuWho world. Channeled a good feeling of Ace and the Doctor.
    - So, So glad to see an Ice Warrior again. Briggs pulled his great BF-refined Warrior voice off great.
    - Disliked the warrior out of its suit, but the effects budget on aliens is definetly put to use on this episode.
    - The continued reference to classic episode traditions (Hostile Displacement system in this one) was great, although I had to do a double-take on the Doctor saying he had never seen an Ice Warrior outside of its suit. (Then I remembered that was a Big Finish story and doesn't technically count)
    Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    Gold and the 'need' for it in-game is easily one of the most overblown mindsets in this community.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Everything Nice View Post
    You don't carry a barbie doll with you?

i wouldn't dare take her on a submarine though!

10+ Year Old Account
    Maybe it was a United States Navy petty office QM1 1991 Barbie model?
    On a Russian submarine? Silleh Nemi.

Failing that, he's keeping one around to ensure they don't turn into plastic Weeping Angels?

A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only one.

Maybe it was a United States Navy petty office QM1 1991 Barbie model?
    1991 (end of cold war) Barbie in 1983 (around 3/4 through the cold war), timey wimey fun.
    More importantly though. I honestly thought the Cold War episode was far more enjoyable than the Rings of Akhaten episode. The special effects that they attempted with Akhaten really felt like they were trying too hard, especially on the rocket scooter. One thing I didn't like though is when they had Clara "break down", not the break down itself, but how she explained her break down. Where she explained that everything all the sudden felt very real. To me that took quite a bit out of Clara's character as it implies that up until that point she simply hadn't considered any of her actions of real consequence and so she just did whatever. I'm concerned that they may further scale back the forwardness of her character now because of it. I really liked the Oswin and Clara of Asylum and Snowmen, I'd really hate to see her character scaled back further from those points.
    What are you willing to sacrifice?

I really want the return of two-partners. Hear me out. The single episodes are a little dull this season. Not going to lie. I think they should pull a Russell T. Davies and have one giant season arc like season 4 did.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mortis Darkskull View Post
    1st south park garots... now happy garots... next one must be overdramatic seinen manga garots...
    Best of 5 years!

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    1-off episodes are very common in serial television and Doctor Who is no different. It's actually a joy for the writers to not have to force a story when there doesn't need to be one, by stringing attachments to an over arching plot in every episode. They are doing a good job bringing back some old concepts where people who are in the know can smile and be excited while new fans can start to form memories of them.

This season is certainly odd, because I don't know how to feel about each episode as a whole. Part of me thinks 'That's it?' and part of me sits back, ponders, and thinks 'That's brilliant'. On the whole the only thing I can take away from it is that this is Doctor Who and I enjoy this show...I have a strange feeling I would like just about anything they do as long as the central tenets to the mythology aren't eradicated.
    BAD WOLF

15+ Year Old Account
    I am rewatching dr. who, I would like to point out we have seen another living sun before. And at one point in the series the doctor says his age is 906, we are getting very different answers every-time someone ask him, hum.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

Quote Originally Posted by apepi View Post
    And at one point in the series the doctor says his age is 906
    But that Doctor died and now we've got a younger Doctor.

10+ Year Old Account
    He's aging, he's about 1200 I believe
    I have a small theory about the Doctor's age: starting from say the 7th doctor he lost count of his "true" age and started counting from a specific point in his past, after he got the tardis, so that the tardis herself could keep track.

Quote Originally Posted by grandpab View Post
    But that Doctor died and now we've got a younger Doctor.
    I thought that doctor didn't die? I mean he ended up in the Doctor suit and that was what was killed. Unless I have forgotten something and I am just confused atm.

I thought that doctor didn't die? I mean he ended up in the Doctor suit and that was what was killed. Unless I have forgotten something and I am just confused atm.
    "Doctor Suit" isn't exactly right but close enough. It was the Teselecta, which wasn't really alive, it was a space/time ship of the Justice Department.

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    The last regeneration of the Doctor will be played by Bruce Willis. In fact, the Doctor was already dead this whole time.
    BAD WOLF

That's right lol

It's hard to keep of track of everything that goes on with this show sometimes.

The Doctor was 1103 when he faked his own death. Then we followed a younger version of him at 909 years old. It can be presumed that in his travels with Clara he is at least over 1103 since the present show takes places after his death event. The real trouble with telling The Doctor's age is 1)he lies 2)Gallifrey's year vs Earth's year 3)he's been frozen for many years he doesn't count.

PS the universe recorded The Doctor as having actually died (despite faking his own death). The Doctor has since erased himself from every database in the universe and is no longer on record, and therefore ceased to exist on paper, which is why River Song was released from prison.
    Last edited by MatadorMedia; 2013-04-18 at 05:58 PM.