15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Serapplebum View Post
    I'd say it's an attempt to sell Dany to the audience quicker than she was in the book. I don't know if others felt the same, but I really didn't care much for the Dany content in the first book much at all, it took much longer for me to care what she was up to than some other characters.

One thing I didn't mind at all were extra scenes with Viserys. Harry Lloyd was spectacular in the role.
    I agree - I mean they lead you off with White Walkers and then it's like here's this princess across the sea in a pretty boring life. I was sold after like her third PoV but I think the TV show may have actually told the first few sections -better- than the books in terms of hooking the audience.
    Global Moderator | Forum Guidelines

Quote Originally Posted by jamlol View Post
    Jorah's fight was pretty badass though. Agree that the rest of their stuff felt a bit rushed, and I wish they had shown Dany getting a least a little bit pregnant before tonight too.

I actually felt that way about episodes 2-8, and it was bumming me out about the series, but tonight's episode felt good to me for the first time since the first.

I could see the absence of battle scenes making people feel like that though. It's a shame they're too expensive for HBO to put in. If they were to put more money into it though, I'd still want more & better wolf scenes. I wouldn't expect half the audience to even remember the wolves at this point.

10+ Year Old Account
    I actually felt that way about episodes 2-8, and it was bumming me out about the series, but tonight's episode felt good to me for the first time since the first.

I could see the absence of battle scenes making people feel like that though. It's a shame they're too expensive for HBO to put in. If they were to put more money into it though, I'd still want more & better wolf scenes. I wouldn't expect half the audience to even remember the wolves at this point.
    I think they are pouring loads of money into it. One scene I like to quote is the one where he is skinning the buck and talking. They spent thousands of dollars for a buck just to give the character something to do while talking. They didn't HAVE to put the buck, in they could have just been walking down a road and talking, but no, they decided to spend the extra thousands of dollars just to make it that much more realistic.

Who knows, they might have just skipped the battle scene because they would have rather put more story into it then a bunch of people bashing swords together, seeing as there is a one hour time restraint.

Quote Originally Posted by Zatheyll View Post
    Arya was my favorite since the very first time I saw her in episode one. Stuck to her the entire time, even in the book.
    imo, Arya has been done absolutely perfectly in the show, I think the only one that even comes close to being as close to their characters in the books is Viserys. I can't wait to see her begin her long adventure. I just can't understand why my girlfriend (who watches it with me every week) doesn't care for her.

I know a lot have loved Tyrion's portrayal in the show from the get-go, but it's been slow going for me. I didn't like him at all in the first few episodes. The shakespearean accent was a big turn-off. I do have to say that he's grown on me loads since then. He's also by far and away my favorite character in the books.

---------- Post added 2011-06-13 at 12:47 AM ----------

I think they are pouring loads of money into it. One scene I like to quote is the one where he is skinning the buck and talking. They spent thousands of dollars for a buck just to give the character something to do while talking. They didn't HAVE to put the buck, in they could have just been walking down a road and talking, but no, they decided to spend the extra thousands of dollars just to make it that much more realistic.

Who knows, they might have just skipped the battle scene because they would have rather put more story into it then a bunch of people bashing swords together, seeing as there is a one hour time restraint.
    What a wonderful introduction to Tywin Lannister that was too

I won't be too heartbroken over any lost battle scenes really, except for the one that will involve Tyrion's little chain :P I think it's impossible to do the wolves right without very good CGI (I'm thinking werewolves in Twilight; No, I'm not a fan), and that would be tremendously expensive.

I don't mean to make a case that they are being cheap with the show, it's beautiful, I just think that some aspects of it could never be done on the budget of a TV show.

Deleted
    Lovin' the reactions to Ned's death. Reminds me of the first time I read it, when you feel like he's getting chance after chance, and that it'll still work out well in the end... but no, Joff is a tosser.

Also, many more will die. You may love them or hate them, but they will die.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lokann View Post
    Lovin' the reactions to Ned's death. Reminds me of the first time I read it, when you feel like he's getting chance after chance, and that it'll still work out well in the end... but no, Joff is a tosser.

Also, many more will die. You may love them or hate them, but they will die.
    If Arya dies I die. <3

AND NO, DO NOT SPOIL IT FOR ME.

imo, Arya has been done absolutely perfectly in the show, I think the only one that even comes close to being as close to their characters in the books is Viserys. I can't wait to see her begin her long adventure. I just can't understand why my girlfriend (who watches it with me every week) doesn't care for her.

I know a lot have loved Tyrion's portrayal in the show from the get-go, but it's been slow going for me. I didn't like him at all in the first few episodes. The shakespearean accent was a big turn-off. I do have to say that he's grown on me loads since then. He's also by far and away my favorite character in the books.

---------- Post added 2011-06-13 at 12:47 AM ----------

What a wonderful introduction to Tywin Lannister that was too

I won't be too heartbroken over any lost battle scenes really, except for the one that will involve Tyrion's little chain :P I think it's impossible to do the wolves right without very good CGI (I'm thinking werewolves in Twilight; No, I'm not a fan), and that would be tremendously expensive.

I don't mean to make a case that they are being cheap with the show, it's beautiful, I just think that some aspects of it could never be done on the budget of a TV show.
    considering the season started with 3.1 million viewers and the audience is now at 8 million and growing (which is unheard of for an HBO show like this) the will likely be willing to throw them a lot more cash bones next season.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Defengar View Post
    considering the season started with 3.1 million viewers and the audience is now at 8 million and growing (which is unheard of for an HBO show like this) the will likely be willing to throw them a lot more cash bones next season.
    That is the problem with airing views on statistic sites for episode airings. They only show the first airing, even though there is another airing directly afterwards that a lot of people also watch. On wikipedia for example it only says that the episodes have garnered around 4 million views each, even though it is much higher. Where are you getting info on the 8 million? Would love to know that site. ^.^

There were various attempts to spoil Ned's death in this thread since episode 1. If you want to know who else dies, go ask in the spoiler thread.

That is the problem with airing views on statistic sites for episode airings. They only show the first airing, even though there is another airing directly afterwards that a lot of people also watch. On wikipedia for example it only says that the episodes have garnered around 4 million views each, even though it is much higher. Where are you getting info on the 8 million? Would love to know that site. ^.^
    Guessing this is it here http://insidetv.ew.com/2011/06/07/ga...rones-ratings/

I could've watched en entire episode of Tyrion, Shae, and Bronn playing drinking games and still be entertained.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you hit the train tracks you've gone to far.
    Quote Originally Posted by Celebrimba View Post
    I could've watched en entire episode of Tyrion, Shae, and Bronn playing drinking games and still be entertained.
    I completely agree. Those scenes with those 3 made me forget how the end of that episode ended. Even though this episode made me laugh, cry, and rage It was a damn good episode.

Deleted
    Just finished reading the first book, i've watched 3 of the episodes aswell...can honestly say it's the greatest book i've ever read and probably the best $10 i've ever spent.

Will be picking up the rest asap

Bronn: Now I want you to go into that bag and find my sword.
    Marillion: Which one is it?
    Bronn: It’s the one that says, “Bad Mother Fucker".

Hey, can anyone link me to the sites with people going nuts over ned dying? I want to read some reactions.

Quote Originally Posted by The Pro View Post
    Wasn't he basically the main character..?
    Seriously.. they better kill Jamie now..
    Welcome to the world of GRRM, this is just the beginning :P

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeleh View Post
    Welcome to the world of GRRM, this is just the beginning :P
    That right there is why Ned dying shouldn't be so big. Game of Thrones isn't a story, it is a world.

10+ Year Old Account
    My dad bought all of the books a month ago and has been reading them so he knows everything that is going on. I thought tonight was that last episode, (idk why) its going to be really hard to wait another week before i tear into the books. Get some revenge Rob!!!

I have a feeling as to where the last episode of the season will end, and i am pretty confident people will be coming back for the next :P

I agree with a comment posted earlier that the drogo/dany scenes were rushed this week. Not too bad but defiantly not as good by comparison.

Bronn - legend as ever when tyrion asked her where he found shae, "lord, whats his name, ginger c**t three tents down."

Also agree that shae did not seem right, i always felt she seemed a bit more common/rough around the edges than she seems.

I can see why someone earlier said his gf has not warmed to arya, whilst she is awesome to use, she is currently a fringe character really, and i think people will grow to love her after next season or so.

I must admit i was very disappointed with not only the fight scnes, or lack of, but the execution of them. I feel they failed to put across what was truely going on, positioning of the armies and robbs plan. I think a quick scene showing robbs tent with a battle briefing and the plan to take jaime in the woods would have been very effective.

All in all still pleased, good stuff, bring on the finale.

Deleted
    Contrary to I guess most of the people on these forums, I am really hooked on the Dani story. As soon as she actually started loving Drogo I started loving her charactar.

Ordering the books as we speak, cant wait for them to arrive. And love the show of course.