Quote Originally Posted by Kaelwryn View Post
    Sylvari > all. That is all.
    "This rose has thorns and here they are!"

The sylvari are cool but I struggle with coordinating their colors with armor colors. Really hard to get them to look good ><

Styling my Sylvaris hasn't been too difficult. One is pure white and I mostly keep her dressed in white. The other is brown & (dark) green, so those are the colors I use for her. Probably the pastel colors are a lot more difficult to deal with maybe.
    "We must now recognize that the greatest threat of freedom for us all is if we go back to eating ourselves out from within." - John Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by Lane View Post
    Charr > everything else
    you have good taste

switch Norn and Asura and you have my list. I actually like the Asura culturally and their personality. But like nevermore, I'm not a fan of small/tiny races. They are still better than humans for me though.

Charr > Norn > Sylvari > Asura > Human

For me it's Human > Sylvari > Asura > Norn > Charr. Most of my chars are Human, for obvious reasons. Sylvari I love their design and concept, even if I only have one. Asura are culturally and aesthetically interesting for the 'small but smart' fantasy trope, Norn are kind of dull to me, the shamanistic beer-swilling Nordic thing just doesn't excite me, even if I have two(both my Soldier chars), and Charr...well, call me biased, but I still think 'enemy' when I see Charr, even if I have one. I understand their cultural motivations and the importance of individual behavior(it's hard not to like Tybalt or Rox), but I still feel that Ascalon shouldn't have become theirs again. Part of me thinks 'you deserve it!' every time I see a ghostly Ascalonian down a Charr NPC.

10+ Year Old Account
    Having started out my 80s with a sylvari elementalist, moving on to a human guardian and finally landing on a norn mesmer, I've gotta pitch in with the female norn being my favorite here. :P

I love how she runs and her animations and how her voice actually sounds tough. I do like the human females as well but how they run tends to drive me crazy and their voices sound kind of sissy.

Sylvari are interesting but having their entire body made of plants makes their armor look a little weird to me. I've tried making an asura a couple of times but always end up deleting them, they're hard to make look good. Don't think I will ever make a charr...ever.

10+ Year Old Account
    Since there are complaints about Charr armor again, they have fixed some issues in one of the last builds. I'll see if I can dig out the pictures on Reddit later.

About a new race: The stories about Scarlet made me think that they might come out with something totally new, some hybrids or robotchicken or whatever, but I don't think something like that is going to happen now that her story is over.
    Sing like no one is listening - Love like you've never been hurt
    Dance like no one is watching - Masturbate like no one else is on the bus

They just made them less blocky, they still look nowhere near as good as the cultural armor.
    In most cases, I understand the other side's viewpoint and how they came to it, but cannot tolerate their stubbornness to not see mine (the right one).

Quote Originally Posted by Arlee View Post
    "This rose has thorns and here they are!"

The sylvari are cool but I struggle with coordinating their colors with armor colors. Really hard to get them to look good ><
    I could never seem to get my sylvari ranger the way I wanted her to look, so I rerolled her human, but there's still something lacking there.

My sylvari necro, I designed for the tequatl wings, so I knew what color scheme to go for. I still have the glowy-eye mask from char-gen, but the other thread has a red mask link that looks like a perfect fit for her.

I think for Sylvari, the best bet is a cosmetic kit. Find your armor, then redesign the character around the armor. Trying to plan it at char-gen is hard.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by nevermore View Post
    I never really got the appeal of 'tiny' characters in MMOs like Asura or Gnomes (WoW).
    Like, what's the point?

PS: Norn ftw.
    There is the appeal of being the little guy hitting the giant risen with the hammer, he flies just as far as the norn's hit.

There's also the appeal of being able to fit in some places easier. They also block less of the view.

A big one for me, having played a lot of small characters, is the fact that since everyone moves at the same rate, the asura looks like he's moving faster. A norn looks like he's a slowpoke, charr are right on the edge.

Culturally, in general small races are about intelligence and inspiration, whereas big races are about... being big...

I dislike the Norn culture since it doesn't seem to mesh with the rest of the world. I like the spiritual elements, but the drunk stuff is just pointless to me. I like the shapeshifting, but actually using it seems pointless. (I'd love it if Norn could turn into a different shape as a form of town clothing even.)

For story, Asura are fun (Infinity Ball!), Humans have some variety to it and history, Sylvari have some deep world connection and stuff, Norn have an amusing "where'd we park a tank" story, most of the rest I disliked and even that one wasn't very good. I think for actual Story, the Charr have the better ones of the bunch.

It's sort of meh that Sylvari use the same skins as human/norn, but it DOES give them a bit of variety. Charr and Asura sharing male/female leaves something to be desired, but their different body types also result in some nice variety in looks (like the heavy Arah armor, for Asura it's great, for the rest? meh. The medium arah for a charr, with the bones on the tail, gives it a much better look.)

Yeah, there's clipping errors, but there's clipping errrors for humans too, so blah.

Quote Originally Posted by Svifnymr View Post
    For story, Asura are fun (Infinity Ball!), Humans have some variety to it and history, Sylvari have some deep world connection and stuff, Norn have an amusing "where'd we park a tank" story, most of the rest I disliked and even that one wasn't very good. I think for actual Story, the Charr have the better ones of the bunch.
    Have to agree, the Char story is the best, followed by the Asura. Asura may be better made all together though, the difference between a pragmatics infinity ball character and a dynamics butler character are pretty striking.

Quote Originally Posted by hrugner View Post
    Have to agree, the Char story is the best, followed by the Asura. Asura may be better made all together though, the difference between a pragmatics infinity ball character and a dynamics butler character are pretty striking.
    The Infinity Ball and the Norn's "heirloom horn" are perfect examples of items that should have been awarded upon completion. Not a unique skin maybe, but a semi-rare one with an odd color or whatever.

I'd have carried an Infinity Ball focus throughout all my adventures! (I'd also love if they did more items like the current backpiece, with continual advancements in power and look.)

10+ Year Old Account
    The Infinity Ball and the Norn's "heirloom horn" are perfect examples of items that should have been awarded upon completion. Not a unique skin maybe, but a semi-rare one with an odd color or whatever.

I'd have carried an Infinity Ball focus throughout all my adventures! (I'd also love if they did more items like the current backpiece, with continual advancements in power and look.)
    Interesting thing is, that there ARE indeed some kind of trophies for some of the personal stories. If you check your 'My Story' tab you will find a few of those trophies, however it seems they were never properly implemented as items. I have a helmet, a spear, a banner, several medals and even a toy tank on my Norn there.

10+ Year Old Account
    For me its Norn>Sylvari>Charr>Human>Asura.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhywolver View Post
    even a toy tank on my Norn there.
    Is that from the "blacked out" storyline? I love that one, it's my favorite of all their choices.
    "We must now recognize that the greatest threat of freedom for us all is if we go back to eating ourselves out from within." - John Anderson

I think for Sylvari, the best bet is a cosmetic kit. Find your armor, then redesign the character around the armor. Trying to plan it at char-gen is hard.
    That's a really good idea and I have been sitting on a few and it never occurred to me to do this ><

10+ Year Old Account
    Is that from the "blacked out" storyline? I love that one, it's my favorite of all their choices.
    No, I did the revenge storyline. It's from The Steel Tide, Vigil's Plan.

Deleted
    Oh man returned to the game after a long hiatus and the first thing i hear is *I can outrun a centaur*

Well time to find out what's changed

Quote Originally Posted by Japskidin View Post
    Oh man returned to the game after a long hiatus and the first thing i hear is *I can outrun a centaur*

Well time to find out what's changed
    I suggest visiting lions arch
    Pokemon FC: 4425-2708-3610

I received a day one ORAS demo code. I am a chosen one.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhywolver View Post
    Interesting thing is, that there ARE indeed some kind of trophies for some of the personal stories. If you check your 'My Story' tab you will find a few of those trophies, however it seems they were never properly implemented as items. I have a helmet, a spear, a banner, several medals and even a toy tank on my Norn there.
    Yeah, though even there it lists "Prospectus" for infinity ball rather than the actual ball. Either way they're not usable or anything.

- - - Updated - - -

Blacked out was the only one I enjoyed, so I'd agree it's their best. I didn't really think the Norn tied to it very much though. Could have been anyone.

Blacked out was the only one I enjoyed, so I'd agree it's their best. I didn't really think the Norn tied to it very much though. Could have been anyone.
    It's probably because it was heavily Charr related and therefore is automatically win.

It's probably because it was heavily Charr related and therefore is automatically win.
    I do like the charr stories, but they really are spotty about the Charr/ Human history. The GW1 timeline was 250 years ago, they're still plagued by the ghosts, but they sort of just gloss over the specifics of the war or what has happened since. There are npc's that mention the charr invading ascalon, and others that sort of just say the Charr were there without mentioning the humans... Ebonhawk is brokering a peace agreement, but have they just been fighting for 250 years non-stop? They mention the Vizier of Orr sinking it due to charr invasion too. No real mention of how most of the lands were Charr lands centuries before GW1 until humans came...

Not that most of the races have a lot of history revealed, the Asura surfaced in GW1, but they don't really go into their history before that. The Norn at least just sat in their frozen wastelands mating with animals or whatever.

It is the advantage to the Sylvari at least. Since they're only 15 years old, they don't need to worry about too much.