Page 1 of 11
... LastLast

Did anyone NOT like Mass Effect 1 or 2???

So yea, just got Mass Effect 1 and 2 (I'm late as helllllll I know) two weeks ago and played thru them.

They're seriously in my top 5 games of ALL TIME, and that list hasnt changed in years.. ME and ME2 are perfect in my eyes. I would put them on par with Zelda for the SNES and Final Fantasy 3 on SNES as well. They're that good, and I feel bad that I just got a chance to play them this month.

Did anyone play them and NOT like them? Was just curious.. I don't see how you could not like this series unless you don't have the time.

I do like both parts but I like KOTOR more.

Deleted
    I diden't like either excessively to be honest, they wern't bad, but not worth the hype they get given.

10+ Year Old Account
    i didn't like the first, so i never bothered with the second

15+ Year Old Account
    2 Was lame because it took out pretty much all of the rpg stuff from 1.

Quote Originally Posted by Felspark View Post
    Most people that don't like Bioware games are fairly repugnant trolls with only enough brain cells to button mash
    through Diablo for immediate physical rewards.
    Or you know, aren't massive biodrones that realize that bioware games are good, but not all that great and very cliched.

10+ Year Old Account
    Never played 1. Tried a demo for 2.

Didn't much care for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rampantsoto View Post
    Once Vin Diesel is an adult I will feed him more than just crickets

Mass Effect 2 was game of the year for a reason. Mass Effect 1 was pretty buggy and the gameplay wasn't very good, but it was the story that made it worth playing. Mass Effect 2 fixed pretty much all those issues though and kept the same epic story. Mass Effect 3 is going to be even better because they have the combat of mass effect 2, and the RPG features of Mass Effect 1 and they are improving upon that.

Didn't play 1, just played through some of ME2 and it was pretty entertaining. If you like RPGs and don't want fantasy it's a good time killer.

I understand the whole storytelling RPG factor behind alot of bioware games, KOTOR comes to mind. Those games were fun, ME and ME2 wasn't really all that great as people claimed them to be. Sure one or two playthroughs to do stuff differently, other then that, meh.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by spk View Post
    2 Was lame because it took out pretty much all of the rpg stuff from 1.

Or you know, aren't massive biodrones that realize that bioware games are good, but not all that great and very cliched.
    The fps part of 1 was awful, they refined that for 2, at the expense of some rpg elements. Hopefully they get a better balance for 3, that being said, bioware games are great. It's an acquired taste, either you get immersed into the story or get bored and play something else.

Deleted
    I didn't play both of them tbh

10+ Year Old Account
    Could never get into it, everytime I sat down to play it, I'd get bored and want to play something else.
    You can tell WoW changed the MMO for good when players started complaining about the amount of time they sink, into a time sink.

Deleted
    Cannot wait for ME3! Really love where they're going with the story and I loved the 2nd just as much as the 1st, no gripes besides I don't want it to end at 3 :P

i didn't like them and i'm not really sure why. I might be too used to jrpg's so that american ones are too different i dunno
    Quote Originally Posted by Zefie View Post
    Everyone who does not miss Vanilla has no heart. Whoever wishes it back has no brain.

10+ Year Old Account
    I played the first, it was pretty much garbage. More overrated trash from a wonderfully over hyped studio. The cinematics were stale, the combat was clunky, the camera was a total nightmare, and the interactions between the characters creeped me the hell out. It's just another space opera for which everyone splooges their pants. Same deal with Halo. Each copy of those games sold should come with a free CAT scan.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Starting playing the 1st after it being recommended so much. And though it was just utter... Well... Shit.

But I only played it for an hour or so, so I really can't judge. But if a game doesn't grasp me at the start, why should I keep playing it?
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoeii View Post
    I hereby would like to nominate this person for the tool award.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scuravolpe View Post
    Only if we get a pet for the disaster that was your parents deciding to breed.

other than the stupid planet scans. They weren't REQUIRED to beat the game normally, but if you wanted everyone to live you had to farm minerals a little bit. Only a small gripe though. I hear Mass Effect 3 is redesigning it.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Flummox View Post
    I played the first, it was pretty much garbage. More overrated trash from a wonderfully over hyped studio. The cinematics were stale, the combat was clunky, the camera was a total nightmare, and the interactions between the characters creeped me the hell out. It's just another space opera for which everyone splooges their pants. Same deal with Halo. Each copy of those games sold should come with a free CAT scan.
    Don't play as a male Shepard, that voice actor was awful compared to Jennifer Hale

I loved Mass Effect 1 and played through it for the first time right before the sequel. That was a pretty jarring experience! ME2 completely changed many of the things I became accustomed to in the first game and at first I didn't like it at all. It eventually won me over though, but I still think the first game was superior.

Quote Originally Posted by u9k13tjc View Post
    You mean they streamlined the unnecessary grind stuff to make a smooth story like gameplay, almost like playing a movie.

ME1 was good, ME2 was a much more polished experience. Possibly the best rpg ever imo. A nice combination of cinematics story with action gameplay. with little to not annoying grind sessions.
    So when you take the RPG elements out of the RPG, it will be the best RPG ever. I hope you are aware that interactive story is not a definition of RPG.

Not that it matters since ME1 handled the RPG bits very poorly and it did serve the serie well to remove even the pretense. As for which I preferred, I liked the flow and the storyline in ME1 a lot more than I did 2, while 2 had way better overall gameplay but the story and presentation was lacking. (Yawn at spending entire game gathering a team)

Both were alright games that were fun to play through, but neither of them were anything special in terms of anything, unless you are really, really into a interactive storylines that you can alter at certain points. One big minus point for making ME2 a linear tunnel-runner though. ME1 atleast pretended to have some openness with areas like Citadel.
    Last edited by Wilian; 2011-04-25 at 09:50 PM.
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988