Page 2 of 26 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Bacon Grease View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Purple glow
    Mike Huckabee definitely. Romney is no good since he did Romneycare in Massachusetts. I don't trust him because of that.

Part of the problem with the republican party right now is the three-legged stool is broken. Traditionally, the GOP is comprised of 3 factions working together: the religious wing, the small government wing, and the military wing. In modern times, the small government wing seems to be attacking the religious wing. We're losing sight of the goal - that the common enemy is the democrats. Huckabee normally would be the guy, but with the small government types attacking the religious wing, he's diminished somewhat.

Hopefully republicans can put all their differences aside and work together to beat Obama. But the only person who can really do that is Huckabee.

The Tea Party types HATED John McCain because he was a phony as it was. McCain's language was to fight against the "special interests" and the "money in Washington", which was code speak for fighting against corporations. That means he was actually a democrat. A phony. If the GOP nominates another phony in Romney, that might be enough to tear the republican party apart as the ones who are wise will go form their own party based on real conservative principles.

Bush was a moderate was it was with his debt spending. Conservatives don't believe in debt spending, but put up with it from him. Then they nominate a democrat for president in McCain. If they follow that up with nominating ROMNEY, who pushed socialized medicine, I'll definitely leave the GOP. Its pointless if they won't fight for conservative principles.
    I like how you point out that those three branches of the republican party have to band together against the democrats. It's true, other than a common enemy, they really have little reason to belong to the same party. Going to be interesting to see how this unfolds. Probably will reveal alot about how the GOP's policies and strategy change post-Bush.
    What's even more awful is the religious wing is the CORE of the GOP because the bulk of donations and activism come from the religious groups. The GOP cannot survive without the religious wing. But that's the wing that is under attack right now.

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Only one who has broad based appeal is Rommny with maybe a no-name non-controversial vp like Burr of NC. Rommey will sell Mass health care as a states-issue which can work only on a state level which might appeal to republicans. Yeah, he will lose alot of the right wing but might pick up the more moderates because of the Mass HC. But getting past the primaries is going to be rough for him.

Christie wont run but would be great for 2016. But I am afraid the GOP will again end up being the party of guns, gays, abortion, god with a little birther and Shiria law hysteria sprinkled on top.
    Last edited by kunah; 2011-05-11 at 04:57 PM.
    Operation Red Wing

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by artemishunter1 View Post
    To tell you truth, america has mood swings, its conservative one day and liberal the next
    Mood swings? I would suppose that is one way to put it or it could be, that like me, most US citizens are middle of the road and we are feeling abandoned by both parties. Just my opinion.

Rommey will sell Mass health care as a states-issue which can work only on a state level which might appeal to republicans.
    he's tried to pitch it this way, but its not selling well. That and its nonsensical. There's no reason it can't work at national level.

Quote Originally Posted by Purple Glow View Post
    Mike Huckabee definitely. Romney is no good since he did Romneycare in Massachusetts. I don't trust him because of that.

Part of the problem with the republican party right now is the three-legged stool is broken. Traditionally, the GOP is comprised of 3 factions working together: the religious wing, the small government wing, and the military wing. In modern times, the small government wing seems to be attacking the religious wing. We're losing sight of the goal - that the common enemy is the democrats. Huckabee normally would be the guy, but with the small government types attacking the religious wing, he's diminished somewhat.

Hopefully republicans can put all their differences aside and work together to beat Obama. But the only person who can really do that is Huckabee.

The Tea Party types HATED John McCain because he was a phony as it was. McCain's language was to fight against the "special interests" and the "money in Washington", which was code speak for fighting against corporations. That means he was actually a democrat. A phony. If the GOP nominates another phony in Romney, that might be enough to tear the republican party apart as the ones who are wise will go form their own party based on real conservative principles.

Bush was a moderate was it was with his debt spending. Conservatives don't believe in debt spending, but put up with it from him. Bush's domestic policy was massive government expansion. Then they nominate a democrat for president in McCain. If they follow that up with nominating ROMNEY, who pushed socialized medicine, I'll definitely leave the GOP. Its pointless if they won't fight for conservative principles.
    democrats are the enemy?? when did we go to war with them? if both parties would quit fighting and letting the rich get away with everything maybe this country would be ok. but then again what do I know. i want to get elected so i can make boo coo bucks and have a awesome health package then when i retire i'll be rich and have even better health care and retirement package!!

Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    The legal hispanic population is the fastest growing group.

Well that's false. Plenty of countries have government run health programs that are effective and affordable, and Massachusetts is showing how we can do it here. What you have here is a dedication to ideology over practicality, which may play well in arm chair politics, but isn't something the people who have to make decisions can do.
    Not enough time has passed for you to see the ultimate failure of government run health care systems. When money is no object, costs rise. Over time, government run health care will go one of two ways:

1. Costs will rise so much that other services will have to be cut back to pay for it.
    2. Quality of care will slowly fall to compensate for higher costs.

A powerful government requires shortages to control the public. When government controls the police and fireman, they use it as a political football. They threaten the public with cutting police and fire services unless they agree to raise taxes. When government controls health care, they will slowly degrade the system over time to achieve shortages, and then use it as a political football, threatening the public with no health care if they don't agree to raise taxes.

Long term, a powerful unchecked government ends up somewhere like North Korea, where they rail about corporations that no longer exist, and when the power goes out,they just blame Americans and do nothing.

I want quality health care free from politics. I don't want it turned into a political football. We must get rid of Obamacare. Everything is at stake, and there is no greater issue for all of us.
    Last edited by Purple Glow; 2011-05-11 at 04:56 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    The last Republican I actually liked was Reagan. No way in hell I could vote for McCain/Palin. If the Republicans go with Palin, Gingrich, Trump or someone of that ilk I think we have Obama for 4 more years (which to be perfectly honest doesn't bother me). I really don't think Christie, Romney or Jindal will overthrow him either. Pawlenty or Huckabee would probably spell trouble though. All IMHO of course.

Not enough time has passed for you to see the ultimate failure of government run health care systems. When money is no object, costs rise. Over time, government run health care will go one of two ways:
    Germany has had government health care since what, ww1? Britain has had theirs since WW2. I think that's enough time to see if they're effective policies.

They threaten the public with cutting police and fire services unless they agree to raise taxes.
    You're right, they secretly actually pay them with hopes and dreams and revenue problems are just a smokescreen for oppression.

When government controls health care, they will slowly degrade the system over time to achieve shortages, and then use it as a political football, threatening the public with no health care if they don't agree to raise taxes.
    Except there is no evidence of this ever happening in a single country that has government health care. So you're just making stuff up.

obama care is crap but he was the only one to have something. every other president was bought and paid for by the health care industry that they didn't even try. hillary clinton was shot down so fast when they tried it made her head swim so bad she went to work for them lol

Germany has had government health care since what, ww1? Britain has had theirs since WW2. I think that's enough time to see if they're effective policies.
    No actually because germany has been a satellite nation of either the USSR or USA for decades. Only since the 1990s did they become their own nation, and even then they've been subsided by the US to some degree.

You're right, they secretly actually pay them with hopes and dreams and revenue problems are just a smokescreen for oppression.
    That's exactly right.

Except there is no evidence of this ever happening in a single country that has government health care. So you're just making stuff up.
    Not enough time has passed.

15+ Year Old Account

Bush was a moderate was it was with his debt spending. Conservatives don't believe in debt spending, but put up with it from him. Bush's domestic policy was massive government expansion. Then they nominate a democrat for president in McCain. If they follow that up with nominating ROMNEY, who pushed socialized medicine, I'll definitely leave the GOP. Its pointless if they won't fight for conservative principles.

No offense to you.. but that's the reason why the people are in trouble.. Each party should be working to better the lives of the people not vanquish the democratic "enemy". But this is the whole basis for why the government isn't working.. Republicans and democrats will literally hurt the american people if it means some kind of political win against their "enemies".

I'm waiting on the rest of the world to say "hey US government, get your shit together now."

Not enough time has passed.
    70 years isn't enough?

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    he's tried to pitch it this way, but its not selling well. That and its nonsensical. There's no reason it can't work at national level.
    I totally agree it can work. But the other GOP candidates have and will make it a issue and Romney has to have an answer. States rights is a big
    republican ideal and might be his only hope of getting around the Mass HC problem.
    Operation Red Wing

Quote Originally Posted by Elementium View Post
    No offense to you.. but that's the reason why the people are in trouble.. Each party should be working to better the lives of the people not vanquish the democratic "enemy". But this is the whole basis for why the government isn't working.. Republicans and democrats will literally hurt the american people if it means some kind of political win against their "enemies".

I'm waiting on the rest of the world to say "hey US government, get your shit together now."
    Obama rammed through Obamacare on strictly partisan grounds. Then he sits there smugly and says things like "elections have consequences" and "I won." Is that working together? Its ok. If that's the rules Obama wants to play by, conservatives should ram through their agenda at the next opportunity. But don't sit here and call republicans out without calling out Obama. Obama poisoned the well.

---------- Post added 2011-05-11 at 09:06 AM ----------

70 years isn't enough?
    Hasn't been 70 years. Its been, depending on how you view it, less than 20 or hasn't even started yet. When you are a subsidized nation, like Germany was for decades under the USSR / USA, the normal rules of economics no longer apply. You can't point to their economic model as a sound one.
    Last edited by Purple Glow; 2011-05-11 at 05:14 PM.

What's even more awful is the religious wing is the CORE of the GOP because the bulk of donations and activism come from the religious groups. The GOP cannot survive without the religious wing. But that's the wing that is under attack right now.
    I personally do not associate myself with either the republicans or the democrats (Which now are just republican and republican-lite) but I do kinda find it funny how the biggest contributors to the party are the religious when you are supposed to keep your religious views out of politics for the good of the people (Which unfortunately doesn't happen)

1. Costs will rise so much that other services will have to be cut back to pay for it.
    2. Quality of care will slowly fall to compensate for higher costs.

A powerful government requires shortages to control the public. When government controls the police and fireman, they use it as a political football. They threaten the public with cutting police and fire services unless they agree to raise taxes. When government controls health care, they will slowly degrade the system over time to achieve shortages, and then use it as a political football, threatening the public with no health care if they don't agree to raise taxes.

Long term, a powerful unchecked government ends up somewhere like North Korea, where they rail about corporations that no longer exist, and when the power goes out,they just blame Americans and do nothing.

I want quality health care free from politics. I don't want it turned into a political football. We must get rid of Obamacare. Everything is at stake, and there is no greater issue for all of us.
    Mmmm yea not so sure about this. If they misuse it they will get voted out of office. It's supposed to be a government "of the people, by the people, for the people," not against the people. Honestly though, there are enough checks and balances in our constitution to prevent such abuses. If you don't like what your representatives are doing, vote them out of office.

P.S. I realize that the Citizen's United decision may prevent this from happening, candidates being endorsed by several Major corporations may give politicians the firepower they need to abuse their authority. Still can't believe that thing passed.

[QUOTE=Purple Glow;11420122]Obama rammed through Obamacare on strictly partisan grounds. Then he sits there smugly and says things like "elections have consequences" and "I won." Is that working together? Its ok. If that's the rules Obama wants to play by, conservatives should ram through their agenda at the next opportunity. But don't sit here and call republicans out without calling out Obama. Obama poisoned the well.[COLOR="red"]

Honestly, the healthcare issue was one of the platforms Obama ran on. Can't really be surprised that he tried to follow through on it. Also, he didn't "ram" it through anything. A healthcare bill passed that was an empty shell of a bill. Republicans only allowed non-major changes to go through. Isn't it interesting how government works?
    Last edited by Bacon Grease; 2011-05-11 at 05:10 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    First, Ron Paul is a nut. I used to favor the guy, but if you can still take him seriously, I can't take you seriously. He's not presidential material, I don't care what your stance is on economic or social matters. Anyone who can keep a straight face while suggesting that we return to a gold standard should politely exit stage left and retire from a life of politics. Short-sighted libertarian idealism is no substitute for creativity and economic innovation.

Trump's just a joke.

Romney would be great -- if he didn't feel so strongly about imposing his "value-oriented" social policies on Americans - this is the antithesis of true conservativism. Rick Santorum falls into this category as well, though I feel he takes his radical ideals far more seriously.

Huckabee and Pawlenty are nothing but shills. Gingrich too.

Michelle Bachmann is a Tea Party[tm] product: packaged, branded, sold off the shelf by Koch Industries, Inc.

So I ask the GOP: Where are the real conservatives? Where's the guy that's going to cut spending and keep government out of my life? Where's the guy that's going to stop harping on Bible-thumper issues like stopping the Evil Gays from marrying or "getting tough" on marijuana? Where's the guy that's going to scale back our global military deployments and isn't afraid to hit the defense budget with the same nerf-bat as every other budget? Where's the guy that's going to look for interesting solutions to our economic woes, rather than clinging to one-size-fits-all maxims like "raise taxes" or "cut programs" or "trickle-down economics" or "end the Fed?"

Where's the sanity?

Same question applies to the Democratic party. As of now, it looks like I'm voting for Obama in 2012.

Quote Originally Posted by Fugus View Post
    I personally do not associate myself with either the republicans or the democrats (Which now are just republican and republican-lite) but I do kinda find it funny how the biggest contributors to the party are the religious when you are supposed to keep your religious views out of politics for the good of the people (Which unfortunately doesn't happen)
    No where does it say you are supposed to keep your religious views out of politics. There is an amendment establishing a freedom of religion. Some people seem to misread that as freedom FROM religion, which is wrong.

The only candidates that even BEGIN to have a chance are Romney and Huckabee.

President Obama will have a long battle, but will win in the end. He's eliminated their main talking point of the 08 elections, which was "if you elect a Democrat, we will get attacked by Al Quaeda."

Quote Originally Posted by critzkreig View Post
    The only candidates that even BEGIN to have a chance are Romney and Huckabee.

President Obama will have a long battle, but will win in the end. He's eliminated their main talking point of the 08 elections, which was "if you elect a Democrat, we will get attacked by Al Quaeda."
    How did he eliminate such a talking point? Did something happen to prevent AQ from ever attacking the US again?