Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Digglett View Post
    Truth be told -- I started posting here only after I quit WoW and couldn't post on the official forums anymore. What's wrong with the SWTOR official forums, over zealous mods, or what?
    Heard they're like WoW official forums. But i've yet to venture into any of those. And yea, there really isn't another SW:TOR forum other than the official ones which a lot of people despise. The fan sites don't really have forums or an active one like the main SW:TOR thread.

And me also, i didn't know that this place had forums till my brother showed me the SW:TOR thread and started posting. Just checked the front page for WoW updates but i don't even do that anymore since i quit like 6 months ago.
    Last edited by Bane123; 2011-08-04 at 08:12 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Truth be told -- I started posting here only after I quit WoW and couldn't post on the official forums anymore. What's wrong with the SWTOR official forums, over zealous mods, or what?
    I did the same.

I think the best question to ask, is why would you want a forum for a game that's not even released yet? On a site not dedicated to that game? Really, if you want a forum for TOR, you'd have to make one for Rift, Starcraft 2, Diablo, and many more. The megathreads are nice (and you can make one when the game comes out), and offer any info you need. Take the Rift thread, for example. There's maybe five people who regularly post there and who also play the game. You can't really devote an entire forum for those five people.

10+ Year Old Account
    Behind you, what I'm not? Then who's this person I'm behind?
    Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille View Post
    Assuming other games forum become popular, I will most likely just add a separate "other games" section to news posts whenever something important happens, at the bottom of the news post.

Like ...

Other MMOs : SWTOR Patch 1.4, Rift Patch 2.3, New EVE Online Trailer
    Blabla stuff that people don't read

All links would poitn to respective threads in the game forums with the news post and a nice layout. This is probably the best compromise between not covering anything, and annoying the 95% of readers who only come for WoW.
    Oh you are just the worst type of person.............. But since your recruiting for mods soon (Stares at you with puppy eyes). Oh wait cats hate dogs.

I myself hate the official Tor site since every page on all the threads are spammed with Tor guild recruiters.
    Last edited by Pud'n; 2011-08-04 at 08:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pendulous View Post
    I did the same.

I think the best question to ask, is why would you want a forum for a game that's not even released yet? On a site not dedicated to that game? Really, if you want a forum for TOR, you'd have to make one for Rift, Starcraft 2, Diablo, and many more. The megathreads are nice (and you can make one when the game comes out), and offer any info you need. Take the Rift thread, for example. There's maybe five people who regularly post there and who also play the game. You can't really devote an entire forum for those five people.
    The megathreads are nice, however they lack structure and organization. Take a look at how long the first post of our SWTOR thread is. Yeah, it has every scrap of information (thanks to Trollsbane) and prospective gamer could ask for, but lacks the tools a devoted sub-forum could provide. It's a wall of text and pictures almost 50 printed pages in length.

Also, I do agree with you that it is not really necessary until the game is, at the very least, released. Even then, we'll have to see. No one is making any big decisions like that tonight.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Army of Darkness View Post
    I myself hate the official Tor site since every page on all the threads are spammed with Tor guild recruiters.
    That's not the worse thing, try to count how big part of forum threads is composed of "How will you name your character/your ship/what class will you play/my class is better then yours/give us Consular update already". Seriously, 90% of stuff there could be deleted right away because they were asked/answered/said one hour ago.

Following that idea, kudos for Trollsbane for thread he is keeping up (main reason why I got hooked to that game) and to Boub for being open-minded. And by the way, if you are looking for potential mod for SW:TOR section... *cough*... *point@Trolls*

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cynique View Post
    That's not the worse thing, try to count how big part of forum threads is composed of "How will you name your character/your ship/what class will you play/my class is better then yours/give us Consular update already". Seriously, 90% of stuff there could be deleted right away because they were asked/answered/said one hour ago.
    Sounds like these forums tbh.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    even with all the buzz about RIFT and it being the next big thing - the one big RIFT Thread isn't exactly pulsating and generating hundreds and hundreds of posts a day
    Sorry to have to jump in and interrupt your fantasies, people are playing RIFT for seven months now, we don't treat the main RIFT thread as our own personal 'Twitter' feed or a chat channel....

All we try to do is keep anyone interested in trying RIFT, or who is currently playing it a bit updated with new content or incoming changes, i don't see any reason to have a "chat" with people in the Thread and have 10 posts a minute,i can go use MSN/Twitter/Facebook for that thanks.....

I have SW:ToR pre-ordered, am looking forward to trying it, but that will be then, i'm staying in the now....simple, Boub knows what he's doing, if in seven months after it's release SW has 3 million stable players, great, people can definitely petition this site for it's own SW:ToR sub forum but until then, please try to be realistic and let the game actually launch and take off

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Slipmat View Post
    Sorry to have to jump in and interrupt your fantasies, people are playing RIFT for seven months now, we don't treat the main RIFT thread as our own personal 'Twitter' feed or a chat channel....
    I think that was just his way to say, that at some point, for a great number of games, the people posting on mmo-champ declined. It's not anti Rift orso, I guess once TOR releases and there are websites with more informations, the posts here will also decline.
    If Boub really wants to do it for multiple games with the forums (and news as an extra bonus) then rift, tor and so on posts will most probably increase

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Jira View Post
    I think that was just his way to say, that at some point, for a great number of games, the people posting on mmo-champ declined. It's not anti Rift orso, I guess once TOR releases and there are websites with more informations, the posts here will also decline.
    If Boub really wants to do it for multiple games with the forums (and news as an extra bonus) then rift, tor and so on posts will most probably increase
    The thing is, Boub's in an almost unique position as the owner of the most highly visited non-official site by MMO users. Every MMO that comes out, as proved, gets mentioned heavily on these forums. Currently, it's about WoW, and as the discussion of other games are confined to one thread, it limits discussion and encourages players of other MMOs to seek out new sites. Should he designate a section of the forums to new games individually, he could increase traffic to his site by actively attracting all MMO players rather than just WoW and ex-WoW players.

Obviously there's issues with this, namely some WoW players might get offended and feel their site is being encroached upon, and if the game's popularity does peter out as so many have, the site will be left with an almost empty sub-forum.

My personal opinion on this, is that one day (no time soon, but one day in the future) WoW will be deposed as the king of MMOs, and as there's already a strong community on this site that could be applied to all MMOs, rather than just die out when WoW finally shuts its doors. I think the initiative should be taken and start actively welcoming players of other games into the community. Obviously though, I'm just speculating, I'm sure there's plenty of factors that I've not thought of and I know very little of what it takes to run a site.

This same thing happened with Rift and they begged like mad. See how that went.
    If Boub thinks about opening a subforum for any game before at least 6m or preferably even more he's crazy.

Deleted
    Yeah Rift has a huge thread now and most likely people will start begging for Guild Wars 2 as well once it comes out and so on and so on. Personally If Boub does do it in taht sense where there is a different news feed on a different section, that would be great, but how many MMO's would you put in there with the amount out at the moment (Guild Wars 2 soon, SWTOR, Rift) etc:?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lefuu View Post
    This same thing happened with Rift and they begged like mad. See how that went.
    If Boub thinks about opening a subforum for any game before at least 6m or preferably even more he's crazy.
    Six million is a huge number of subscriptions. I'd be surprised if any game reaches that before WoW is well and truly dead, by which time MMOC will probably have lost a large portion of its community to a spread of other games. WoW's popularity is the exception, not the rule.

Also, Rift does have an active community and playerbase. I'm not sure of the exact numbers, but the fact that the thread isn't an incredibly fast mover doesn't show that the game tanked, it shows that having one thread for an entire MMO isn't what people are after and have looked elsewhere.

Deleted
    Every now and again new MMO comes out that is supposed to be a "WoW killer". A game that will take over the community. Age of Conan was supposed to be the 1st one in line, Rift was probably the one given most hope. None of that happened, those games slowly merge realms and die compared to plans at their launch.
    Now if Boub had started a forum section for each of these games we would have a lot of them, wouldn't we?...

This site while not called WoW-champion is entirely WoW (Blizzard) focused fan site where people come for info, to chat, get/give advices and such. I'd dare to say that most visitors (by far) don't even post on forums and barely come there. They might pay a visit through the recent forum post box but that's that.
    If we were to have a section for other MMOs then in those couple of weeks before people realise how the game sucks the recent forum post box would be filled with those damn topics. I understand some of you also demand front page news about those games... Guess what, *nobody* here wants that. How many people want that? 1% visitors? Maybe? I don't even think that because this site has so many visitors and it just seems like a small tiny fraction of those actively wants it. 10s, a hundred. At best. That's not even worth looking at.

Also I just read a post linked by Dalliah that I've never seen but shares my thoughts very well. I will even quote it:

Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille
    RIFT IS AWESOME AND THRALL IS POOP! There, done with the conspiracy theory now girls? It's also kinda hilarious considering that I adressed this problem on MMO-Champion and on Rift official forums. But hey, I like trolls!

So let's explain again!

• Creating a Rift forum would only cause tons of non-WoW related threads to appear on the forum posts lists on the front page. Except that this time, they won't have "Rift" clearly in the title and people will click them, get angry, and yell more.
    • I'm not going to annoy 99% of my WoW-playing userbase for 1% of players who might maybe play Rift at the release. If the game gets popular, sure, I'll add a forum.
    • If I start creating forums for every single MMO beta testing out there, the site will become a pain in the ass to browse within a few weeks.

Now you're going to tell me that I could create Rift forums and take them off the front page, yes, I could. But people would just create Rift threads in WoW forums because they'd get more visibility, forums that aren't on the front page aren't popular at all and are pretty much dead. All these Rift threads will eventually be moved by WoW-forums moderators to the newly created Rift forum because, hey, we have a Rift forum now, and the newly created forum will become an unreadable shithole full of spam because of that.

And seriously, who the hell came up with the idea that using arguments such as "BUT IT'S CALLED MMO-CHAMPION NOT WOW-CHAMPION" will get admins on your side and will convince them that you're super nice and that I should do everything you ask? I mean, I'm not a bot, or anything, just because you say that isn't going to make me change my mind, I just go with what's best for the community.

Also, I'll probably kick your ass for not reading the 90493094039 existing threads and thinking you're important enough to create your OWN thread, that's exactly because of people like you that forums have problems like that sweetie.
    I love the bolded part btw. I'd be glad if Boub kept to it
    Last edited by mmoc6af618f320; 2011-08-04 at 10:46 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    We have the one thread and i personnally think its enough. No need for a sub-forum for a few thread that should be contained in only one.

Quote Originally Posted by reve View Post
    Every now and again new MMO comes out that is supposed to be a "WoW killer". A game that will take over the community. Age of Conan was supposed to be the 1st one in line, Rift was probably the one given most hope. None of that happened, those games slowly merge realms and die compared to plans at their launch.
    Now if Boub had started a forum section for each of these games we would have a lot of them, wouldn't we?...

This site while not called WoW-champion is entirely WoW (Blizzard) focused fan site where people come for info, to chat, get/give advices and such. I'd dare to say that most visitors (by far) don't even post on forums and barely come there. They might pay a visit through the recent forum post box but that's that.
    If we were to have a section for other MMOs then in those couple of weeks before people realise how the game sucks the recent forum post box would be filled with those damn topics. I understand some of you also demand front page news about those games... Guess what, *nobody* here wants that. How many people want that? 1% visitors? Maybe? I don't even think that because this site has so many visitors and it just seems like a small tiny fraction of those actively wants it. 10s, a hundred. At best. That's not even worth looking at.

Also I just read a post linked by Dalliah that I've never seen but shares my thoughts very well. I will even quote it:

I love the bolded part btw. I'd be glad if Boub kept to it
    Here is the Rift thread: http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...al-Discussions

Here is the SW:ToR thread: http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/874061-SWTOR-information-gathered-thus-far-from-various-sources/

As you can see, there is a major difference between the two in amount of posts and pages. The topic gains about ten pages a day, and is hard to keep up with.

I understand some of you also demand front page news about those games... Guess what, *nobody* here wants that.
    You're contradicting yourself. If 'some of you' refers to the people posting here, then those people want it, as such, the statement 'nobody wants that' is incorrect.

I truly do believe that MMO-Champion has a massive opportunity here to become the new frontier in SW:TOR. However, I do agree with others, in that it is far too early. The sole topic that is there right now, is more than good enough right now, and should SW:TOR really succeed, then I'm confident the MMO-Champion staff will cater to the need of the many fans of the MMO. Until then, let us not start bashing the other MMO.

Honestly, the name MMO-Champion does not force the site to be for all MMOs, but it's subtle enough so that if multiple MMOs do succeed, they can easily transition to a new format, taking their reputation with them while not having to change domain/name/etc. Boubouille demonstrating his brilliance from day one!
    Last edited by Terrafros; 2011-08-04 at 11:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Terrafros View Post
    Here is the Rift thread.

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/874061-SWTOR-information-gathered-thus-far-from-various-sources/]Here[/url] is the SW:ToR thread.

As you can see, there is a major difference between the two in amount of posts and pages. The topic gains about ten pages a day, and is hard to keep up with.
    SWTOR can flop, can be good or can be medicore at best.. give it time.. if it will be really that good 3-6 months after release.. okey.. SWTOR forum will make sense.. but for now.. It doesn't ... SWTOR could do horribly or just reach same popularity as Rift..

*blub*
    It's still only Beta NDA, it's not out yet.

Boub probably consider it if it survives the first 2-3 months, like he said he would with Rift.

Everybody was like "RIFT FORUM NAAAO"

Now everybody is like "Rift? What's that?"

Just to clarify, I was only responding to the person I directly quoted. I agree fully with the statement that it is too early to see what'll happen right now.

Deleted
    You're contradicting yourself. If 'some of you' refers to the people posting here, then those people want it, as such, the statement 'nobody wants that' is incorrect.
    You failed to see that the word nobody was quoted in stars (*) so people don't take it with 100% accuracy. Also you probably lost the ability to read instantly after that because then you'd see:
    Quote Originally Posted by reve View Post
    ...Guess what, *nobody* here wants that. How many people want that? 1% visitors? Maybe? I don't even think that because this site has so many visitors and it just seems like a small tiny fraction of those actively wants it. 10s, a hundred. At best. That's not even worth looking at...
    Just please, go away... I am sure there are fansites of *insert random MMO that's coming up* or hell, you can even start your own http://*random_mmo*-champion.com. Don't turn pure WoW fan site into some BS.
    My prediction is that if this website ever turns to a different game then it'll be some WoW2, Titan or so. Not this.
    Last edited by mmoc6af618f320; 2011-08-04 at 12:02 PM.

most of the people on the SWTOR threadare also not spanding our time saying "WOW GONNIA LOOSE!!!11!" we do say a few negative things about wow but we try to keep to logical and not just spew slander, most of us played it for 7 years and we are just getting tired of it. rift also not dead and it did come out a month after wow's most hype expansion. TOR big killer at the time is most likely other big games coming out at the time like skyrim.

as for having it own sub-forum, i say wait to see how it last. it may bomb but it also may be the best thing to happened to video games since god show us he exist in the form of mega man 2.