Page 1 of 12
... LastLast
    Deleted

I now understand the Knack hate

Currently reading all the WoW books on computer and despite only mid way through Day of the Dragon I can really understand the dislike for Knack. If it wasn't for WoW I really would have put this book down due to it's terrible witting and character developmentl...Rhonin Redhair, seriously?! I've read better fanfic on my RP server! Alas i'm determined to read 'em all in chronological order...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    Currently reading all the WoW books on computer and despite only mid way through Day of the Dragon I can really understand the dislike for Knack. If it wasn't for WoW I really would have put this book down due to it's terrible witting and character developmentl...Rhonin Redhair, seriously?! I've read better fanfic on my RP server! Alas i'm determined to read 'em all in chronological order...
    You have my utmost sympathy.
    Be seeing you guys on Bloodsail Buccaneers NA!

10+ Year Old Account
    I did the same thing... forced myself to finish every single one of them. And make no mistake I did have to force it, because there were plenty of times I literally /facepalm'ed.
    When asked about the role of women in video games, Samus Aran said, "..." - and then she blew up the planet. AGAIN.

KNAAAAAAAAACK! To the hills!

Quote Originally Posted by Callei View Post
    You have my utmost sympathy.
    Completely agree with you.

However, I think that his combat sequences are way better than Christie Golden's attempts at creating a nice fighting scene.

I wish Warcraft lore had new writers to create new stuff. Metzen seems to be a bit lost or uninterested and Christie is more like a 'do as you are told!' kind of writer. Knaack seems to enjoy more freedom, but he does not use it well.

What's a knack?

can I kill it?

Does it give me epics?

If not - Why care?

Deleted
    His name is Knaak, not Knack or Knaack.
    Also, you are reading a games extra fiction, if are expecting a literary masterpiece you are in the wrong section of the bookmarket.

War of the Ancients was decent, but the biggest problem was the fact that he took important wow characters put them off to the side and glorified his own. I cant say I totally dislike Krasus, rhonin or broxigar though. Hmm

Deleted
    I dont know much about Knaak but ive seen some of his lore come into WoW (i think) and it doesnt make sense. Is it just me?

I am patiently awaiting my opportunity to dethrone the one they call Knack. Someday, they'll email me and say, "Yeah, Ed? This is Chris Metzen. I read your last couple of books and I like your style. Come write for us, would you?"

Maybe not in those exact words, but yeah. Someday...

Never understood the Knaak hate. Never will. People seem to pull the "Rhonin is a lol mary sue with his army of raptors" card all the time, yet forget the whole "I'm thrall and Im holding the entire structure of the world on my own!" thing, just to name one example.

I really hate all wow novels... christie golden raped arthas lore that infuriated me. made him so emotional and whiny.. like every child who plays wow. and the awkward " romance" with jaina.. on the side of a road XD.

I perfer to remember arthas as he was... wc3 style.. not the abomination he became...

Sorry, it appears i haven't quite got the knaack of spelling his name properly.

*Snigger*

10+ Year Old Account
    There was a point where I really wanted to understand the Lore better. Many of my friends were able to keep track of it, as they had been playing since the Warcraft days. But I couldn't catch up fast enough.

So I went to the Story Forums on the Community Site and looked for ways to get a better grasp on the Lore and all its complexities. I was pointed towards the novels.

I don't want to over-state my intelligence or come across as snobby, but I'm fairly well-read and I like to think I am the better for it. But after a chapter of Knaack, I just could not continue. It would have been more enjoyable to eat the pages rather than read them. I've read great fan fiction and licensed fiction like this and I don't over analyze it. I just read it for what it is. But I simply could not extend that same courtesy to this work.
    Blindingly defending Blizzard; ignorantly trashing Blizzard. Both require an emotional investment that I'm unwilling to give. I'll take reason, logic, facts, and the willingness to accept that I may be wrong. At the end of the day I'll have nothing to account for and I may even have learned something.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Knight Gil View Post
    Never understood the Knaak hate. Never will. People seem to pull the "Rhonin is a lol mary sue with his army of raptors" card all the time, yet forget the whole "I'm thrall and Im holding the entire structure of the world on my own!" thing, just to name one example.
    That's partially it. We already have Jesus Thrall. We don't need another Mary Sue.

I did warn you, adam. I did.

However, I think that his combat sequences are way better than Christie Golden's attempts at creating a nice fighting scene.
    I couldn't disagree more. Most of his fight sequences (from War of the Ancients at least) read like "And then Malfurion wrapped the demons in vines. The vines killed hundreds of demons! But the demons kept coming. Then Illidan and Rhonin cast spells. And many dozens of eredar died! But the demons kept coming."

I agree with you that the Thrall thing is just absurd, and that the lore these days has been taking a beating, but Knaak tries to create things that are described as being capable to sundering the world with a sneeze. Exaggeration is his major fault.

10+ Year Old Account
    Soldier through it. Reading great literature is good for the mind, but you won't truly appreciate it until you've indulged yourself in garbage too.

15+ Year Old Account
    I liked the books, which is why I don't agree with the Knack hate.

I think they are both terrible Mary Sues. But it's okay, because Thrall is an orc with blue eyes.