Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

the Light on Sexuality

I was just wondering how The Light stands on the sexuality of its followers, for instance could a priest be gay?

10+ Year Old Account
    The followers of the Holy Light do not worship any gods. Instead, it is a philosophy, training its followers to seek perfection within themselves. It is very much an active practice of virtue rather than a passive worship. Those who follow it closely gain spiritual awareness and guidance, allowing them to lead others.
    The Holy Light teaches that there is a connection between the self and the universe. This connection manifests as what we feel through both senses and emotions. When a person is moved, through seeing something breathtaking or feeling love for another, that emotion connects him to the universe. Experiencing the emotion ensures that he exists, as something within him felt the emotions or processed the sensual awareness. Because he exists, so must the universe that gave him that feeling. From there, he can act upon the universe, causing more changes to create feeling in others. Thus, the followers of Holy Light seek to make the world a better place by being true to their own emotions.
    The next step in recognizing this connection between the self and the universe is developing the goodness within and without. If one wishes for happiness, one must work to better the universe to make others happy. Experiencing the glory and beauty of the world will in turn tap into the inner beauty and glory within one's soul. However, giving in to greed, despair, and unhappiness will only darken the universe. The Holy Light is the glory of the universe reflected upon the soul and mirrored back onto itself.
    For more read: The Light

So I doubt that they will care about your sexual orientation, at least in my opinion.

Deleted
    Thanks a lot

10+ Year Old Account
    I think a 'Devout' follower of the light doesn't have a sexual orientation in the Human, and Dwarven churches as they abstain from sex altogether. I'd imagine if you where Draenei, or a Gnome, or didn't follow the church of the Alliance (Dwarves/Human churches) the light swings both ways. I think Tyranda Windwhisper was actually Lesbian for a while and she's a night elf priest. But if you are a member of the mainstream priest hood you don't get to do it either way you swing.

Quote Originally Posted by Targoran View Post
    I was just wondering how The Light stands on the sexuality of its followers, for instance could a priest be gay?

I think it is a difficult matter, since the similarities to actual churches are there, but aren't mentioned explicitly, and in addition Blizzard keeps the Lore teen appropriate most of the times so you most likely won't find any direct source on sexuality.
    But if priests are allowed to have relationships and are not sworn to chastity (didn't find a source on that on a quick search) I'm quite sure the Church won't object immediately. Society on the other hand may have resentments, and that can force the church itself to act. But that would kind of get political here.
    Difficult matter in the end. But the teachings of the light value the happiness of every single follower so from a purely dogmatic point of view, I'd say it is accepted. As said, if priests are allowed to have relationships at all, that is.
    Last edited by Khorianas; 2011-08-22 at 07:11 AM.

Deleted
    So it doesn't matter since they have abstince of sex but how would the church and it's followers respond to crossdressers?

Quote Originally Posted by Rhazgul View Post
    So it doesn't matter since they have abstince of sex but how would the church and it's followers respond to crossdressers?
    I doubt the church would have anything against them, but the people in the church might. That's more of a cultural intolerance than a religious one, imo.

Deleted
    I have a priest and a paladin who are both gay men. I haven't roleplayed them enough to be questioned about it, but my response would be that the light makes them look beyond the human flesh and see the person that they love. And you love the person for who they are, not what they are.
    I can say though, there are a lot of homophobic players or players that roleplays as a homophobics. Countless of times my characters (other couples) have been attacked by godemoters who simply refuse to take any form of damage from a gay person, so you have to ignore them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nothing in game indicates they will object it, or accept it too
    I don't think we will see that in wow soon or at all
    The beginning of wisdom is the statement 'I do not know.' The person who cannot make that statement is one who will never learn anything. And I have prided myself on my ability to learn
    Thrall
    http://youtu.be/x3ejO7Nssj8 7:20+ "Alliance remaining super power", clearly blizz favor horde too much, that they made alliance the super power

Quote Originally Posted by sam86 View Post
    Nothing in game indicates they will object it, or accept it too
    I don't think we will see that in wow soon or at all
    We're not discussing whether it would be in WoW, we're discussing whether the light is for, against, or neutral towards same sex relationships in the lore. A lot of things we know are fact aren't described in the game, yet they are well-defined in the lore.

EDIT: though this isn't, hence why we're discussing it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ephraim View Post
    I can say though, there are a lot of homophobic players or players that roleplays as a homophobics. Countless of times my characters (other couples) have been attacked by godemoters who simply refuse to take any form of damage from a gay person, so you have to ignore them.
    well since WoW is set in what would be considered medieval times if you compare it to IRL, back then everybody were homophobic because homosexuality was associated with satanism(burning legion), curses and illnesses. It would be very logical for others characters to attack you with either words or rocks. Why ignore them when you're RPing a homosexual? Does that not ruin the immersion?

well since WoW is set in what would be considered medieval times if you compare it to IRL, back then everybody were homophobic because homosexuality was associated with satanism(burning legion), curses and illnesses. It would be very logical for others characters to attack you with either words or rocks. Why ignore them when you're RPing a homosexual? Does that not ruin the immersion?
    No, because WoW is not set in medieval times. The warcraft universe is a combination of the time of early engineering, the medieval period, and 'dungeons and dragons' fantasy in terms of creatures and technology only. From what I can tell, the social values of the universe are fairly modern. It would ruin the immersion to RP in WoW or in the Warcraft universe in general as if you were purely someone in medieval times.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by The Madgod View Post
    No, because WoW is not set in medieval times. The warcraft universe is a combination of the time of early engineering, the medieval period, and 'dungeons and dragons' fantasy in terms of creatures and technology only. From what I can tell, the social values of the universe are fairly modern. It would ruin the immersion to RP in WoW or in the Warcraft universe in general as if you were purely someone in medieval times.
    well back first when we started engineering we were still pretty homophobic too, I have no idea about gayness in the D&D realms though. In an age of war against a huge population of monstrous men(horde) I am sure a WoW human father would consider his only son being gay(no heirs) a curse or something. Would that father support a spiritual leader that would be promoting gay love? Would a church support men that have no interest in breeding and raising strong able soldiers against the threat? Celibacy or not? Now I am sure the naaru, elune, elements or titans themselves wouldn't be bothering whatsoever but the church could very well impose against it and claim it be taboo for the greater good. I don't roleplay, never tried but the RP men and women I've observed all hang at goldshire or that church district in stormwind city, all acting very medievalish. I bet they'd rather see homosexuality as forbidden instead of watching gay men make out right on the stairs of the cathedral no? ¯\(°_o)/¯

10+ Year Old Account
    well back first when we started engineering we were still pretty homophobic too, I have no idea about gayness in the D&D realms though. In an age of war against a huge population of monstrous men(horde) I am sure a WoW human father would consider his only son being gay(no heirs) a curse or something. Would that father support a spiritual leader that would be promoting gay love? Would a church support men that have no interest in breeding and raising strong able soldiers against the threat? Celibacy or not? Now I am sure the naaru, elune, elements or titans themselves wouldn't be bothering whatsoever but the church could very well impose against it and claim it be taboo for the greater good. I don't roleplay, never tried but the RP men and women I've observed all hang at goldshire or that church district in stormwind city, all acting very medievalish. I bet they'd rather see homosexuality as forbidden instead of watching gay men make out right on the stairs of the cathedral no? ¯\(°_o)/¯
    I believe you are confusing real life religion with what the Light actually is. I suggest you read this: The Light.

But I'll requote the main point of its philosophy.

The Holy Light teaches that there is a connection between the self and the universe. This connection manifests as what we feel through both senses and emotions. When a person is moved, through seeing something breathtaking or feeling love for another, that emotion connects him to the universe. Experiencing the emotion ensures that he exists, as something within him felt the emotions or processed the sensual awareness. Because he exists, so must the universe that gave him that feeling. From there, he can act upon the universe, causing more changes to create feeling in others. Thus, the followers of Holy Light seek to make the world a better place by being true to their own emotions.
    It includes love in all it's forms.

As I said in the post you quoted, I was referring to the creatures and the technology only. Culturally, as in whether or not the majority of the people are homophobic or not, the Warcraft universe is fairly modern. You are comparing the Warcraft universe too closely to the real world, when in fact you can't do that to think about this question. You have to look into that world to really see whether or not people are in general for, against, or neutral towards homosexuality. From the information we have concerning the Church of the Holy Light, they don't care. Love is love, regardless of preference.

10+ Year Old Account
    The Light in WoW is similar to Christianity in real life. At one point in WarCraft lore, the Church of Light was called "The Church of God". People would have complained, so Blizzard made a smart move by changing the godhead to the "Holy Light". However, don't believe for one second that there is no connection between the Light and God, because there clearly is. The comparisons are as plain as the paint on the walls.

Now, as for the question of sexual orientation; You may RP your Holy character however you wish to. No one is stopping you, but based on your personal decision you may be shunned by people who RP Light worshipers, or you may be completely ignored.

You must ask yourself, "How many Priest/Paladin NPCs have I come across in the game or in the lore that were gay/transgender?" Likely, if you're smart, your answer will be "none". Additionally, don't believe people who come up with crazy ideas that have nothing to do with the lore set in the game, such as the one who posted his ridiculous assumption that Tyrande might have been a lesbian. One thing to keep in mind is that Blizzard veers away from the "gay and lesbian" point when they develop characters and content. It's a touchy subject and to use it would be taboo.

I have nothing against Gays, my uncle and best friend are gays. However, for the sake of not being criticized or stoned by the Church, I would suggest making your character straight.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuchulainn View Post
    The Light in WoW is similar to Christianity in real life. At one point in WarCraft lore, the Church of Light was called "The Church of God". People would have complained, so Blizzard made a smart move by changing the godhead to the "Holy Light". However, don't believe for one second that there is no connection between the Light and God, because there clearly is. The comparisons are as plain as the paint on the walls.
    I don't disagree with this but those are the far more zealot and fanatic believers in the Light and not to mention the older believers. What the Light is now is exactly what has been explained above. Their is no God to the vast majority of the followers of the Light.

Now for it's similarity to Christianity, this could be said of almost any real life religion that follows the whorship of one God. But in reality it is more closely tied to Agathism. The Light is more of a philosophy than a true religion as we know them in real life.

So while it is possible some roleplayers will lean towards your opinion I don't believe this to be the case with many of them as that just isn't what the Light teaches at all.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuchulainn View Post
    You must ask yourself, "How many Priest/Paladin NPCs have I come across in the game or in the lore that were gay/transgender?" Likely, if you're smart, your answer will be "none".
    You must ask yourself, "How many Priest/Paladin NPCs have I come across in the game or in the lore that had their sexuality mentioned in any way?" Likely, if you're smart, your answer will be very few, It's almost like it doesn't matter.

Blizzard makes a conscious choice to not include the sexuality or relationship stories of 90% of characters, because it doesn't matter.

You are the one assuming that all the priests/Paladins are straight, not Blizzard, not the Lore, you. Mind you, that does not make you a bad person, it is a societal programming, when in doubt you are programmed to assume heterosexual.
    Theron/Bloodwatcher 2013!

Quote Originally Posted by Alsompr View Post
    Teasing, misdirection. It's the opposite of a spoiler. People expect one thing? BAM! Another thing happens.

I'm like M. Night fucking Shamylan.

10+ Year Old Account
    While the light is pretty close to what Christianity is, there is no mention of gay or straight ever. The only thing you have to follow as a true 'believer in the light' is compassion, respect, and tenacity. Basically, you always want to have your faith, and always effect everything around you in a positive way.

Shunning someone due to their sexuality would be going directly against what the light stands for. So yes, if you actually go by what slim lore is given about this, you can be gay, straight, or bi and would be right by the light.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by The Madgod View Post
    From the information we have concerning the Church of the Holy Light, they don't care. Love is love, regardless of preference.
    oh so it is kind of like real life with priests and choir boys?
    Otherwise the light is a very very boring Mary Sue religion for Mary Sues

User has been infracted for this post.
    Last edited by The Madgod; 2011-09-01 at 01:24 AM. Reason: Mod Edit