Page 1 of 8
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Why did the united states never go back to the moon?

I'd like to know. Ive been thinking about it ever since i saw the previews for the upcoming movie Appolo 18.

Quote Originally Posted by Chickat View Post
    I'd like to know. Ive been thinking about it ever since i saw the previews for the upcoming movie Appolo 18.
    The USSR ceased to exist so they had no one to try to be superior to.

Also the moon is pretty boring. Besides more samples there isn't really much to be gleaned from landing people on it. Also the cost.

We harvested all the cheese. There's nothing left but rocks. When's the last time -you- were excited about a rock?

To Mars we go.

Make it happen.

Seriously though, it's probably due to the immense cost of those sorts of missions. It's much cheaper to send drones. Otherwise you have to worry about hiring, training, life support, return flights, etc. Drones can just be stuck up there and left to survey and die.

Poor drones...

Deleted
    They already got samples from the moon, why go up there to take more? it's not like anything has changed.

Deleted
    After they'd done it they'd proved their superiority over the Russians and they had all the samples they'd need for the forseeable future. Must admit it is a shame though n i'd like to see a moon landing in my life time

Deleted
    I wouldn't go back to Spain, I think their opinion of the moon is similar.

Deleted
    who said that your not all ready there. US is a big country and Im betting its pretty easy to hide a launch site in the middle of the desert somewhere without people knowing.

Deleted
    It'd be pretty pointless. There's nowt on the moon but barren rock, so why bother?

odyssey 5.
    its all true i tells ya!
    /hat
    LOL, look at this angry kid go. Sounds like someone is bleeding from the vagina today. I don't know what I said to piss you off like this, kid, but I do know you must have TONS of friends and a healthy social life with that personality!-(Sindershock)
    The hardcore players are happy with the difficulty (with the exception of Buzzkill, who seems to enjoy complaining)
    Plagued Proto-Drakes suddenly become "Slightly Infected Chicken Drakes", or "Last Nights Takeaway Drakes".chronalis
    `Trolls need locks, wtf. It only fucking makes the most sense.`

Cost to much and since they been there six times I think there is no reason to go there. What else can they get?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Propane View Post
    To Mars we go.

Make it happen.
    That is already being worked on, they are just trying to figure out a way of maintaining a decent water/fuel supply to last the journey and last while they are there. Before they go, however, they plan to send some unmanned "buildings" to start off a small base type thing for them to work/live from while they are there. Once that is done, then the fun starts =), of course it will be incredibly expensive, so it may not even happen for a couple of decades.

Deleted
    Ain't any of you seen the new transformers? There are Decepticons on the moon and there is a secret organisation that made it to expensive to get there. Jeez it would seem some of you don't think movie's are real.

Quote Originally Posted by Cadfuert View Post
    Ain't any of you seen the new transformers? There are Decepticons on the moon and there is a secret organisation that made it to expensive to get there. Jeez it would seem some of you don't think movie's are real.
    this ad infinitum ...
    LOL, look at this angry kid go. Sounds like someone is bleeding from the vagina today. I don't know what I said to piss you off like this, kid, but I do know you must have TONS of friends and a healthy social life with that personality!-(Sindershock)
    The hardcore players are happy with the difficulty (with the exception of Buzzkill, who seems to enjoy complaining)
    Plagued Proto-Drakes suddenly become "Slightly Infected Chicken Drakes", or "Last Nights Takeaway Drakes".chronalis
    `Trolls need locks, wtf. It only fucking makes the most sense.`

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cadfuert View Post
    Also nazis. In the moon. You don't want to go there.

As many above me already stated, it was a race. Commies got to space first, America went to the Moon, then they sent drones all over. When the SSSR ceased to exist, there was no competition.
    Signature by Tacy :]

Deleted
    Its such a shame money stops us from exploring.. ;(

Quote Originally Posted by Activi-T View Post
    The USSR ceased to exist so they had no one to try to be superior to.

Also the moon is pretty boring. Besides more samples there isn't really much to be gleaned from landing people on it. Also the cost.
    This pretty much.

States do a lot of things just to feel superior (i.e. annoy the middle east)

The moon is boring, Not sure how factual this is but we apparently know more about the surface of the moon then we do then some parts of the deepest oceans on our own planet.

I'm sure they poured a lot of money to cover up the fake first moon landing (had to beat those russians that much) and when they eventually did make it they found it was a waste of money.