Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    The Patient
    15+ Year Old Account

How much WoW have you played since you first played Rift? Notice a decrease?

first time i played rift was beta 5 and since then i have been on i would say a total of 30 minutes. I used to play 20+ hours a week. I have 3 transmute alchemist i have not even bothered doing those for just a few minutes a day. i have stuff in the mail that is gone. i am probably kicked out of my guild. but i dont care one bit about any of it at all and it feels fantastic! has anyone else experienced this effect? ever see the that south park episode where stans dad birthed a chocolate mud baby about twice as big as his entire body? i feel the same kind of relief i am sure he felt =)

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    That is awesome to hear. Couple people in the guild I'm got beta keys and said they are splitsville as soon as the game comes out...and they were die-hard vanilla raiders who laughed at the idea of another MMO replacing WoW for them.

Not logged in since. Been playing for 6 years, with small breaks. Yes, I'm looking forward to RIFT. Extremely.

Quote Originally Posted by HBpapa View Post
    That is awesome to hear. Couple people in the guild I'm got beta keys and said they are splitsville as soon as the game comes out...and they were die-hard vanilla raiders who laughed at the idea of another MMO replacing WoW for them.
    Your guild could try out Rift next week. Open Beta.

another one of these threads....
    <start epic wow theme>
    A world of limitless adventure. We cast the lords of shadow and flame back into the abyss.
    <more epic wow theme>
    We held the line against the rising tide of death itself.
    <epic music peaks>
    We have endured the breaking of the world.Now we face the Destroyer and we will end him.
    <cue Bennny Hill music>Pandas! Pokemon!

10+ Year Old Account
    Yup, I've noticed a decrease in my WoW time, though that's because I'm in the midst of a Minecraft binge. But I DID give Rift a try... I haven't bothered with Rift again after the beta round I tried. The one and only area Rift excels WoW is graphics, and that's simply because they're shinier not because they objectively look good; WoW's art style and direction far exceeds Rift's. Also, the needlessly convoluted class system/talent trees, horribly uninspired story (dragon breaking through from another plane to destroy the world... where oh where have I heard THAT story in the past couple months?), and boringly derivative gameplay make it a game unworthy of a second look.

Also, somewhat off topic, is anyone else just waiting to see how long it'll take till it's revealed that the majority of these people starting pro-Rift threads on other MMO forums are really employees of whatever company makes Rift? They're all too sickeningly one-sided to be anything but paid mouthpieces, imo. Even WoW and Blizzard fanboys like myself bash on things all the time. :P

Deleted
    I'd like to see less of these threads on MMO-Champion. it's starting to get annoying, there is a rift forum to that is used just as much as this one, exept it is ment for threads regarding rift

Quote Originally Posted by Jorick View Post
    Yup, I've noticed a decrease in my WoW time, though that's because I'm in the midst of a Minecraft binge. But I DID give Rift a try... I haven't bothered with Rift again after the beta round I tried. The one and only area Rift excels WoW is graphics, and that's simply because they're shinier not because they objectively look good; WoW's art style and direction far exceeds Rift's. Also, the needlessly convoluted class system/talent trees, horribly uninspired story (dragon breaking through from another plane to destroy the world... where oh where have I heard THAT story in the past couple months?), and boringly derivative gameplay make it a game unworthy of a second look.

Also, somewhat off topic, is anyone else just waiting to see how long it'll take till it's revealed that the majority of these people starting pro-Rift threads on other MMO forums are really employees of whatever company makes Rift? They're all too sickeningly one-sided to be anything but paid mouthpieces, imo. Even WoW and Blizzard fanboys like myself bash on things all the time. :P
    I think it's more or less MMO players getting the word out. Some are bored because they can't play their game. As long as they are being respectful and abiding by forum rules, I don't see why MMO-Champion would have a problem with it. It does give them more traffic to their site.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dooffie66 View Post
    I'd like to see less of these threads on MMO-Champion. it's starting to get annoying, there is a rift forum to that is used just as much as this one, exept it is ment for threads regarding rift
    Then stay away from the Off-topic Video Games section? I believe that's where off-topic, non-wow related but other games (like rift) are being discussed.

I got a beta key for RIFT, it's just that I haven't got around to play it because my gf needs gearing up on her main and leveling up on her alt so I can still keep myself busy :P

Quote Originally Posted by jadakin View Post
    I think it's more or less MMO players getting the word out. Some are bored because they can't play their game. As long as they are being respectful and abiding by forum rules, I don't see why MMO-Champion would have a problem with it. It does give them more traffic to their site.
    It's less MMO "getting the word out" and more of the employees of the company. Sorry, but it's so incredibly obvious.

I played rift, and it will go the way of Aion, AoC and warhammer. At least when I played the previous three they caught my attention for a short amount of time. Rift caught me for such a short while I couldn't believe I played it as long as I did.

I have played WoW for countless years and have pre-purchased Rift. Why assume people saying Rift is great means they are an employee and there is some conspiracy? *Flashback to EQ forums whilst WoW was on Beta* much.

Anyway, I really like Rift and cant wait for release but I know that the novelty of it may quickly wear off and ill be back to playing WoW. Is this because aion/rift etc are not as good as wow, or is it simply because i have played wow for years? Just because people come back to wow does not mean it is the better game.

What freaks me out is that on this site and on the rift beta general chat too people just sit and fikin argue about WoW V's Rift all day. There is no battle, one is game that has been out for a while and one is a new game, yes they are in the same genre but why people feel the need to be so defensive and/or aggressive is beyond me. Both sides are odd, the die hard wow fanatics V's the dire hard WoW haters.

Even if I did stop playing WoW and go play another game does that mean the eight and a half million hours i have spent playing was wasted? no, it was fun and i enjoyed it at the time. But as soon as someone mentions any new game, people slam down on it and laugh 'its no wow killer' etc.

Dear god, what is wrong with you? It is a game, a kids game infact (rated 12 or so) there is no need to get so defensive when someone mentions another game. The post above this is a good example 'paranoid defensive attitude that no-one likes another game it is simply undercover employees. Then lists other failed attempts to bring down his one true love. it's all very odd lol

People see WoW not as a game but as a lifestyle choice, which is no doubt why they are so aggressive when something comes along that may challenge the validity of that choice.

They are all games, relax and have fun.

Hugs
    Last edited by Energon; 2011-02-10 at 09:47 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nope. I think it sucked, and I've never tried again.

Also...

Doesn't Rift have their own forum?
    Then he fapped to his own pseudo-intellectualism and no one ever loved him. Ever.

The End

Quote Originally Posted by Garnik View Post
    Doesn't Rift have their own forum?
    Yes you're posting in it

Deleted
    I tried the BETA but it quickly bored me.
    RIFT is basically a carbon-copy of WoW with no lore and a more complicated class system. Everything is copied from WoW, from UI layout to spell effects.
    The only improvement over WoW is the graphic engine, which looks better btu also looks more artificial. WoW may have outdated graphics, but it looks very realistic. Even the cartoony parts are immersive.

Quote Originally Posted by Eldo View Post
    WoW may have outdated graphics, but it looks very realistic.
    I lol'd.

Tell me, what should an MMO RPG UI look like? You think WoW invented their UI? There is plenty of lore if you take the time to look it up instead of spam clicking your way through quests and dialogues.

Pandaren Monk
    10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, since I took up the Rift beta, I only logged into WoW once: to throw my gold and consumables in the gbank, and say my goodbyes.
    The plural of anecdote is not "data". It's "Bayesian inference".

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarien View Post
    Yes you're posting in it
    Do you actually think MMO-Champion is for ALL the MMOs out there? Well then, you're wrong.

Just look at the front page, do you see any news posts about Aion, Warhammer, rift, and so on? No.
    The boards is build around WoW.
    There is a Bluetracker for Blizzard posts on the Offical WoW forum.

Claiming that MMO-Champion is for all MMO's is wrong and stupid.

Fine, post about Rift in the Off-topic section, but that is what Rift is on MMO-Champion, an Off-topic.
    Then he fapped to his own pseudo-intellectualism and no one ever loved him. Ever.

The End

Deleted
    New game makes me stop playing old game I've spent a bazillion hours on, ergo new game is better than old game.

Even the most ardent Rift fanboys will be playing WoW again in a couple of months.

Deleted
    Since playing rift, i have only logged onto wow to do the enough vanlantines dailys to get the mini pet, and i been killing the seasonal boss in sfk once per day.
    Im not hating on wow, but i have pre ordered rift and im putting wow on hold, if i find i enjoy rift as much as i have wow (at some points) ill stick with it.

Since playing Rift I have logged in 4 times and gone on my guilds inactive raider list. Although I am Job Hunting as well.