Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted
    They retconned the original Portal 1 ending and introduced the new ending through a patch. So if Valve wants a Portal 3, nothing will stop them of making it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by pickley View Post
    Plus Chell doesnt have to be the main character. The only reason they brought her back for Portal 2 was so GlaDOS had a reason to be a bigger bitch.
    Did you not see the fact that GLaDOS released Chell, serenaded her with a Turret Opera, and finally gave her back the original companion cube (Yes it is the original, or at least it has the Portal 1 design. See this side-by-side here)? The fact alone that she gives you back your companion cube means either A) She saved it or B) She salvaged it. Either way, she's giving you a keepsake. Doesn't seem very bitchy to me.

Yes, GLaDOS was rather bitchy at the beginning, but in her defense, we did kill her and force her to relive her death over and over, every 2 minutes for 9999999 (Continue adding 9s until you feel it appropriate to stop) days. I say she redeemed herself as a potato. She may have deleted her Caroline part of her brain, but that doesn't mean she deleted the lessons she learned as Caroline.

IE Chell = Friend.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBCE539v2JM&t=7m28s Start right there, try not to be touched by it. I dare ya.

Quote Originally Posted by Zero44556 View Post
    Star fox adventures on dinosaur planet. (Though in all fairness, that did start out as an independant rare project that later got star fox characters stuck into it)

Portal 3 is going to come out eventually, I think it's undeniable, but hopefully they'll do a bit of a story reboot and let chell have her hard-earned happy ending
    Rare made Starfox, about the time they started sucking.
    In fact Starfox has probally been the IP thats been treated the worst.

Dreadlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    In theory. One of the science fair potato projects was labled with Chells name.
    Cave Johnson is said to be married to Caroloine.
    GlaDOS says "When i looked up your last name, i found two other test subjects. A man, and a woman...Just something to think about"

Near the end of the underground labs. Cave says all of the scientists had to do mandatory tests (This would mean Caroline and Cave would be in the test subject list.)
    Cave also says if he dies before they can put someones personality on a disc. He wanted Caroline to do it instead. So Caroline would run the labs even after she died as a CPU.

Also Chells last name is always [REDACTED]....Add all of theses together and you get a convincing argument that GlaDOS is Chells mother.
    you mean was... GlaDOS deleted Caroline from her drive
    Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille View Post
    OMG EVERYONE IS BANNED.

Quote Originally Posted by Luminar View Post
    Did you not see the fact that GLaDOS released Chell, serenaded her with a Turret Opera, and finally gave her back the original companion cube (Yes it is the original, or at least it has the Portal 1 design. See this side-by-side here)? The fact alone that she gives you back your companion cube means either A) She saved it or B) She salvaged it. Either way, she's giving you a keepsake. Doesn't seem very bitchy to me.

Yes, GLaDOS was rather bitchy at the beginning, but in her defense, we did kill her and force her to relive her death over and over, every 2 minutes for 9999999 (Continue adding 9s until you feel it appropriate to stop) days. I say she redeemed herself as a potato. She may have deleted her Caroline part of her brain, but that doesn't mean she deleted the lessons she learned as Caroline.

IE Chell = Friend.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBCE539v2JM&t=7m28s Start right there, try not to be touched by it. I dare ya.

GlaDOS is probally Chells mother (Or Caroline is. GlaDOS is basically Caroline anyway) GlaDOS was acting like a major bitch before Wheatley messed up everything. After she became PotaDOS she became vulnerable and Caroline essentially took over. (You can tell the difference between Caroline and GlaDOS. GlaDOS is more autotuned. Its most noticeable after you find GlaDOS after the bird takes her away, she sounds more Human IE Caroline)

Even at the end when Caroline gets deleted. I think GlaDOS knows that at one point, Chell was her daughter and she just lets her go. I mean, Chell was pretty defenseless. No portal gun, trapped in that little elevator, she easily could have killed her.

Thats my take at least.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've never played portal, but I honestly believed the game had no plot/story to it at all. I thought It was just shooting holes into walls and poping out of another one.

Quote Originally Posted by matherl View Post
    you mean was... GlaDOS deleted Caroline from her drive
    What do you mean?
    Caroline's personality became GlaDOS. Eventually GlaDOS became corrupt and her personality changed yet her voice didnt.

All GlaDOS did was delete Carolines memory (if she even did that).

Dreadlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    What do you mean?
    Caroline's personality became GlaDOS. Eventually GlaDOS became corrupt and her personality changed yet her voice didnt.

All GlaDOS did was delete Carolines memory (if she even did that).
    well she said caroline was deleted, she didnt say what part of her
    Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille View Post
    OMG EVERYONE IS BANNED.

Even at the end when Caroline gets deleted. I think GlaDOS knows that at one point, Chell was her daughter and she just lets her go. I mean, Chell was pretty defenseless. No portal gun, trapped in that little elevator, she easily could have killed her.

Thats my take at least.
    I'm not even sure Caroline is successfully deleted. There's a short moment where Glados gets a darker, sarcastically evil "tone" in her voice after she is deleted, and she says "Don't come back" as Chell rides up the elevator... and then the door opens and the Turrets are facing her and pointing laser sights right at her. It's possible this was meant to be a final trap, and that Caroline somehow rebooted at just the right time and gave them new directions on the spot.

Also, from what I've heard that serranade when translated has words somewhere along the lines of "my dear child" or something like that, so it's almost hard to say that Chell and GlaDOS aren't related. It does make me wonder if something in particular happened on the Bring your Daughter to Work Day that made GlaDOS turn out like she did.

There are some odd time discrepencies between Chell's apparent age (Bring Your Daughter to Work day would have been about in 1998, Cave seems to have been dead by 1980, which would put Chell at 18 making little kids science projects with potato batteries). However, it's possible that Chell is not Caves daughter. Perhaps, even, a clone of Caroline.

I would say that there will be a Portal 3 just because Aperture Science facility is such a HUGE complex. While you go through a majority of the underground portion of the facility in Portal 2, there's still all of those seemingly bottomless pits that could have even more going on. Maybe GlaDOS wants to expand outwards or something? The posibilities are almost endless.

Also on a side note, how did everyone come to the conclusion that Chell was Caroline's daughter? I'm not questioning people, just curious.

Quote Originally Posted by Kraide View Post
    I'm not even sure Caroline is successfully deleted. There's a short moment where Glados gets a darker, sarcastically evil "tone" in her voice after she is deleted, and she says "Don't come back" as Chell rides up the elevator... and then the door opens and the Turrets are facing her and pointing laser sights right at her. It's possible this was meant to be a final trap, and that Caroline somehow rebooted at just the right time and gave them new directions on the spot.

Also, from what I've heard that serranade when translated has words somewhere along the lines of "my dear child" or something like that, so it's almost hard to say that Chell and GlaDOS aren't related. It does make me wonder if something in particular happened on the Bring your Daughter to Work Day that made GlaDOS turn out like she did.

There are some odd time discrepencies between Chell's apparent age (Bring Your Daughter to Work day would have been about in 1998, Cave seems to have been dead by 1980, which would put Chell at 18 making little kids science projects with potato batteries). However, it's possible that Chell is not Caves daughter. Perhaps, even, a clone of Caroline.
    http://www.thinkwithportals.com/comic/

Bridges the gap between Portal and Portal 2. Also talks about Bring your Child to work day.
    It also talks about clones aswell...
    Still. I find it weird that Chells last name is Redacted. If the name wasnt shared with an important figure it wouldnt be an issue, they would add the last name. But because its Redacted its implied she is related to someone big within aperture science.

The only person worthy of note that we actually know his last name is Cave Johnson.

10+ Year Old Account
    In theory. One of the science fair potato projects was labled with Chells name.
    Cave Johnson is said to be married to Caroloine.
    GlaDOS says "When i looked up your last name, i found two other test subjects. A man, and a woman...Just something to think about"

Near the end of the underground labs. Cave says all of the scientists had to do mandatory tests (This would mean Caroline and Cave would be in the test subject list.)
    Cave also says if he dies before they can put someones personality on a disc. He wanted Caroline to do it instead. So Caroline would run the labs even after she died as a CPU.

Also Chells last name is always [REDACTED]....Add all of theses together and you get a convincing argument that GlaDOS is Chells mother.
    Interesting theory... A few discrepancies though.

Cave Johnson simply said Caroline is "married to Science." Whether or not that implies she's married to him is up for debate.

I assumed GLaDOS was simply lying to Chell with the "last name" thing, seeing as the surprise she mentioned later was a lie. Plus, if Chell's last name wasn't in the database (It's always listed as [REDACTED]), how did GLaDOS know what to look up? She didn't even remember Caroline until she was down in the facilities.

It wasn't all scientists were required to test, it was all employees which would lend even more merit to your theory. However, seeing as Cave was deathly ill, I doubt he tested. Caroline may have tested, however, I doubt Cave would want her away from his side (I picked that up from the comment "Caroline, get me more pain pills.")

As for Caroline running the labs after he died, it could be very possible that he just found her to be the closest and most loyal employee of his. Doesn't necessarily mean that they're married, although it does confirm what we know, that being GLaDOS is Caroline.

Lastly, if the portrait hidden in one of the test chambers is to be trusted, Cave and Caroline look like this: http://i.imgur.com/ybcZj.png

Whereas Chell looks like this: http://i.imgur.com/HDsMh.jpg

Now, I've never been particularly good at comparing children to parents so maybe it's just me, but Chell does not look like either Cave or Caroline, nor any combination of the two.

Don't get me wrong, I kind of really want Chell to be the daughter of GLaDOS. I'm just looking at the facts.

Maybe if we get enough people asking, Valve could hint one way or the other.
    Last edited by Luminar; 2011-04-22 at 06:38 AM.

Interesting theory... A few discrepancies though.

Cave Johnson simply said Caroline is "married to Science." Whether or not that implies she's married to him is up for debate.

I assumed GLaDOS was simply lying to Chell with the "last name" thing, seeing as the surprise she mentioned later was a lie. Plus, if Chell's last name wasn't in the database (It's always listed as [REDACTED]), how did GLaDOS know what to look up? She didn't even remember Caroline until she was down in the facilities.

It wasn't all scientists were required to test, it was all employees which would lend even more merit to your theory. However, seeing as Cave was deathly ill, I doubt he tested. Caroline may have tested, however, I doubt Cave would want her away from his side (I picked that up from the comment "Caroline, get me more pain pills.")

As for Caroline running the labs after he died, it could be very possible that he just found her to be the closest and most loyal employee of his. Doesn't necessarily mean that they're married, although it does confirm what we know, that being GLaDOS is Caroline.

Lastly, if the portrait hidden in one of the test chambers is to be trusted, Cave and Caroline look like this: http://i.imgur.com/ybcZj.png

Whereas Chell looks like this: http://i.imgur.com/HDsMh.jpg

Now, I've never been particularly good at comparing children to parents so maybe it's just me, but Chell does not look like either Cave or Caroline.

Don't get me wrong, I kind of really want Chell to be the daughter of GLaDOS. I'm just looking at the facts.

Cave actually does test. He mentions it around the time he starts to sound ill.
    Plus Cave sounds like he loves himself. Plus at the time Aperture was pretty big, he was the head of it so he was technically the face of Science.

And i do agree. They look different. But there are always explanations :P

Maybe when Cave started to get depressed with the bankrupcy of Aperture, Caroline cheated?
    Chell could have been adopted.
    Caroline could have remarried after Cave died.
    Lots of explanations!

It also could just be a big mind fuck. Chell is Freeman and Alyxs kid.
    Gordon got a job at Aperture after he saved the world.
    Gordon never gives up, hes pretty stubborn.

But thats such a stretch, it puts Jareds pants to shame.
    Last edited by pickley; 2011-04-22 at 06:42 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Cave actually does test. He mentions it around the time he starts to sound ill.
    Would you mind finding this exact quote where he mentions he's tested so I know what I'm listening for? I can't seem to find it.

Also, I can't argue with your explanations. There are quite a few possibilities.

Would you mind finding this exact quote where he mentions he's tested so I know what I'm listening for? I can't seem to find it.

Also, I can't argue with your explanations. There are quite a few possibilities.
    The first chamber where the white gel appears Cave says that he crushed moon rock and it's an excellent portal surface but it's incredibly toxic and that he'll hope that going through portals will, somehow, sap or dampen that poison out of "a man's body". We can conclude he's talking about himself therefore he tested, besides the guy was a stubborn daredevil, how could he have resisted the ultimate thrill?

You can hear the exact quote at 9:15 on the following clip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8glYx2qQx4
    Last edited by Sensei_Sin; 2011-04-22 at 06:55 AM.

Sorry, but if I'm not mistaken, isn't that quote just him telling his test subjects why exactly they are doing these test chambers?

Quote Originally Posted by Gassilus564 View Post
    Sorry, but if I'm not mistaken, isn't that quote just him telling his test subjects why exactly they are doing these test chambers?
    From the half life wiki
    "At one point, he states he had contacted a severe illness from contact with ground Moon rocks (the primary compnent of Conversion Gel)"

He says "The moon rocks are pure poison, i am deathly ill. So now, we are going to see if jumping in and out of these new portals can leech the poison out of a mans body"

Also, want to know something that will blow your mind.

The name Caroline means Free Man http://www.thinkbabynames.com/meaning/0/Caroline
    Last edited by pickley; 2011-04-22 at 07:30 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, I tried sending an email to Gabe Newell on the off chance that he would respond (He responded to the email from that Reddit guy asking about the Valve Logo models, after all, so it's worth a shot.) and ended up with... an odd automated response.

I am very out of the office.

For general issues, e-mail scott@valvesoftware.com. For marketing or press issues, e-mail lombardi@valvesoftware.com.
    Not exactly sure what "very out of the office" means. Regardless, was I correct in sending it to gaben@valvesoftware.com? And should I resend it to one of those two people?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_kPyGvqNn4Y

translation for the final song

cara bel, cara mia bella mia bambina(my pretty dear, my pretty dear child ) Que lastima(not italian. maybe is "che la stima" - that she admire. but if is spanish is "what a pity") Que lastima oh cara mia addio...la mia bambina, cara perche non passi lontana, si lontana da scienza (oh my dear farewell, my child, dear why dont you stay away, yes away, from science) cara oh mia bambina (dear, oh my child) oh mia cara oh mia cara (oh my dear) oh mia bambina (oh my child) cara (dear) cara

calling chell her daughter and child
    Professor Membrane: anyone that would build a space/time object replacement device is a complete MORON "echo" Moron" "fadeing more" moron
    Invader Zim: GIR the space/time object replacement device is ready

Quote Originally Posted by zalmatra View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_kPyGvqNn4Y

translation for the final song

cara bel, cara mia bella mia bambina(my pretty dear, my pretty dear child ) Que lastima(not italian. maybe is "che la stima" - that she admire. but if is spanish is "what a pity") Que lastima oh cara mia addio...la mia bambina, cara perche non passi lontana, si lontana da scienza (oh my dear farewell, my child, dear why dont you stay away, yes away, from science) cara oh mia bambina (dear, oh my child) oh mia cara oh mia cara (oh my dear) oh mia bambina (oh my child) cara (dear) cara

calling chell her daughter and child
    Jesus i love that song so much.
    Thanks for linking a version without GlaDOS's speech