Thread: Gaming Mice

Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Gaming Mice

Ok, so we can all tell each other which mouse we think is best (usually not why)

I want to know what mouse people with "short thumbs" think is best. I had a Razer Diamondback 3G and only ever managed to use 1 extra button out of the 4 extra provided. Becuase it was the only one I could naturally reach. I have since sold this on with my old gaming PC and am looking around for a new one to go with my new machine.

The problem with alot of mice, is that they tend to push the buttons so far up the mouse that I can't reach them.

Suggestions?

(Budget roughly £50 give or take, really depends how much I wind up spending on my machine)

10+ Year Old Account
    Logitech G500 or MX518 are both amazing.

Would highly recommend either although I personally use the G500.

10+ Year Old Account
    http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/p...10-001262.html
    Yeah... I've been looking at the G500, but it seems again that I'd only be able to use 1 of the side/thumb buttons

The most important thing when it comes to mouse selection is your grip style. G500 for example is absolutely horrible for claw grip and small hands but very nice for palm grip and larger hands. You could check out for example Razer Imperator that has adjustable thumb button position or Cyborg R.A.T. that's highly configurable.

Depends on what you're doing.

If you do any FPS gaming and have a low sensitivity, any laser mouse is an automatic no go (ie: 25cm per 360 or higher, I am around 55).

If you're just doing WoW a laser mouse like the naga makes great sense. I have one for wow, but for FPS's I use a regular cheap old MS Intellimouse (WMO v1.1a) because it has no autocorrection and the sensor is top notch. Doesn't easily get negative feedback or errors with large and fast movements but the no autocorrection is quite large. The MX518 has autocorrection, try drawing a straight line in paint with various mice and you'll see what I mean (left/right or right/left). It's not large on the MX518 but it is there and noticeable and if you like to FPS it can be a negative (really, it is a negative).

DPI and what not really doesn't make a world of difference. It's just marketing.

A lot of discussion about mice with the hardcore FPS crowd. A lot of mice are used but it depends on how high/low your sens is a lot of the time. A regular WMO would be bad for wow as it doesn't have enough buttons, but it's great for Quake. Alternately an Intellimouse 3.0 is basically the same but I believe it has a few more buttons.

Most modern mice are like shoes, you have to find one that fits your grip style and your hand size.

I also disagree that DPI doesn't matter. Older low DPI mouse requires high sensitivity in FPS games to react to things behind you. This also introduces skipping and makes sniping at long ranges nearly impossible. High DPI allows you to lower the sensitivity in game and get the same maneuverability, but also accuracy with sniping. On the fly DPI adjustability helps as well. Never seen any autocorrection, it's only varying sensativity between the X and Y axis in my experiences. Position of the sensor can have some effect on that too.

In a game like WoW, DPI doesn't matter. I have the same issues with buttons on mice, and the G9x I use is the only mouse currently on the market that is shaped the way I like (I don't rest my palm on the mouse, and I move it with my fingertips, not my whole arm), and I can access all the buttons on the mouse.

Naga I can do neither, plus I'm not a fan of razer on many levels...

10+ Year Old Account
    Sensitivity can be adjusted in software... it's more the hardware point of view I need right now. looking at the two mice Brett suggested, they both seem alright in the video reviws... (Although i'm not sure about the cyborg.. it looks very uncomfortable with all those (for want of a better word) "removable panels" that leave gaps, so it isn't totally smooth.

I also tend to use I guess a palm "grip" (more of a rest really).... usually ending up with my palm on the mousemat. Which is why I didn't get on too well with the Razer eXactmat. Always left my palm red after a long gaming session.

In response to use:
    Yes it will be mainly used for WoW, and other non-FPS applications... the "heviest" FPS game I probably play would be Crysis, and cirtainly not at a competitive level. I'm not a big fan of games like Call of Duty.

I usually have my mice at maximum sensitivity.

I'm also not a big fan of mice with "feet" I find the ones that have feet attached tend to after a few months the feet wear off or shift position. The adesive backing slips and sticks to a different part, leaving a plastic "ring" where the "foot" was supposed to be making it grip whatever surface they're on too much.
    Last edited by Djinni; 2011-06-09 at 09:55 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Djinni View Post
    (Although i'm not sure about the cyborg.. it looks very uncomfortable with all those (for want of a better word) "removable panels" that leave gaps, so it isn't totally smooth.
    That's the whole point of the panels. You can remove and adjust to make it perfect for your hand. Shorter, taller, longer. Seriously, if you know of a shop that sells them (PC World does I think), go try it out and mess about with the panels for 30mins.

Also I cannot recommend a R.A.T 7 enough. I have a R.A.T 9 which is the wireless version, and after the initial 30mins of adjusting it to my hand, I can safely say it is the most comfortable mouse I have ever used. The sniping button that slows the tracking speed is actually useful, which I wasn't expecting when I got it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fysi View Post
    That's the whole point of the panels. You can remove and adjust to make it perfect for your hand. Shorter, taller, longer. Seriously, if you know of a shop that sells them (PC World does I think), go try it out and mess about with the panels for 30mins.

Also I cannot recommend a R.A.T 7 enough. I have a R.A.T 9 which is the wireless version, and after the initial 30mins of adjusting it to my hand, I can safely say it is the most comfortable mouse I have ever used. The sniping button that slows the tracking speed is actually useful, which I wasn't expecting when I got it.
    I assume the sniping button works outside of games too? (Paint, Photoshop etc..?)

I get that its the point. And yeah I think I would go try it out. But dunno just looks .... like a recipie for getting your skin caught between the panels.

http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/p...090002021.html
    Last edited by Djinni; 2011-06-09 at 09:59 AM.

Deleted
    I assume the sniping button works outside of games too? (Paint, Photoshop etc..?)
    It should generally work for any programs.
    Last edited by mmoc05c338f655; 2011-06-09 at 10:17 AM.

Deleted
    Right first things first, use something like http://www.razerzone.com/mouseguide/ to work out which grip type you are. You said palm at one point but then mentioned you often end up with your palm on your mouse mat which indicates a fingertip grip, you need to be clear on what your comfortable with as it can make certain size/shape mice a big no go.

If it is a palm grip mouse you are after then I can recommend the Steelseries Ikari as it is without a doubt the most comfortable mouse I have ever used and is rather simple, having only 2 thumb buttons and a further button under the scroll wheel, so you shouldnt be struggling to reach anything. Its rather old and so isn't that heavy on the features (just dpi profile changing on the fly) but if you aren't going to actively use all a mouses bells and whistles there is little point spending the extra money for them and I would advise always going for comfort over features if you have to choose.

That said my Ikari started double clicking after about 18months of hard use and I recently replaced it with a Roccat Kone+ which is also something I recommend you taking a look at as its more versatile in the grip types it caters for plus has just about any feature you could ever want from a mouse, whilst still being a basic 2 easy reach thumb button layout. The kone+ maybe a tad over your budget (cost me £66 online) but you should be able to pick up an Ikari for £40ish if not less considering its age. Just one thing to watch out for though and that is don't not under any circumstances buy the normal Roccat Kone the scroll wheel was garbage (they fixed it with the new wheel on the Kone+ though).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Varyk View Post
    Logitech G500 or MX518 are both amazing.

Would highly recommend either although I personally use the G500.
    This.

Used MX518 on PC and laptop, later upgraded to 2x G500.

I love them! Still using an MX518 in the office.

15+ Year Old Account
    I would definitely recommend the Razer DeathAdder. I used this mouse for years, probably the most comfortable mouse I have used set aside from my Razer Naga (which has 12 side buttons which is why I don't suggest that, reading your OP).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Habbage View Post
    Right first things first, use something like http://www.razerzone.com/mouseguide/ to work out which grip type you are. You said palm at one point but then mentioned you often end up with your palm on your mouse mat which indicates a fingertip grip, you need to be clear on what your comfortable with as it can make certain size/shape mice a big no go.
    Very helpful thanks.

Right so yes... I do use a palm grip, (using the pictures as a guideline) but my thumb would only reach as far as in the example of the fingertip grip.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lynx View Post
    As an alternative to mice theres the gameboards, for ppl thats can handle skills in the left hand its great, ppl that ususally played in consoles as a much harder time to learn cause all the "skills" are played with the right hand, ppl that usually plays shooter in PCs will love it.

I will probably be getting:

Razer Nostromo Gaming Keypad

to compliment my gaming...

Keep in mind the RAT is very heavy, a bit fiddly, and if adjusted certain ways, it rocks (like a table with a short leg).

ALL mice have "feet" gliding surfaces that are usually made out of teflon. G9x has very large pieces that don't wear out or move like the little ones do. I also absolutely hate modern mousepads (I swear to god they're MADE to wear the feet on the mouse so you have to replace them, not to mention being rediculously overpriced). I use an oldschool foam rubber backed cloth mousepad. It's comfortable, never had an issue with any mouse tracking on them, and they're cheap to replace.

I will probably be getting:

Razer Nostromo Gaming Keypad

to compliment my gaming...
    I don't recommend it. It's made for huge hands, razer made the drivers WORSE, the keys are hard to press down compared to a keyboard, and it's generally an overpriced paperweight. I have an old nostromo sitting here in it's box collecting dust because I swear the thing is designed to give you carpal tunnel.
    Last edited by Poodles; 2011-06-09 at 01:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lynx View Post
    As an alternative to mice theres the gameboards, for ppl thats can handle skills in the left hand its great, ppl that ususally played in consoles as a much harder time to learn cause all the "skills" are played with the right hand, ppl that usually plays shooter in PCs will love it.
    Gameboard? Like the n52?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MrAlaska View Post
    Gameboard? Like the n52?
    The Nostromo I linked is the n52e
    http://www.play.com/PC/PCs/4-/553799...94|prd:5537994

It's the same thing.

---------- Post added 2011-06-09 at 04:30 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Poodles View Post
    I don't recommend it. It's made for huge hands, razer made the drivers WORSE, the keys are hard to press down compared to a keyboard, and it's generally an overpriced paperweight. I have an old nostromo sitting here in it's box collecting dust because I swear the thing is designed to give you carpal tunnel.
    Interesting... theres a few girls in my guild who swear by them!

I get that its the point. And yeah I think I would go try it out. But dunno just looks .... like a recipie for getting your skin caught between the panels.

http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/p...090002021.html
    The sniping button just greatly scales down your dpi so it works with anything from your desktop to creating the universe.

Getting skin caught between panels? Uh what no never happened.

I own the R.A.T. 7 and love it works great i dont need a whole keyboard on my mouse so the extra 2 buttons are perfect. Thumb wheel i dont get much use out of but it has its occasions where its nice

Deleted
    I am using the Razor Imperator and I am very happy with it, the side buttons for your thumb are adjustable as well, which is a very nice touch. Very comfortable and up to 5600 dpi (though what kind of FPS freak would want something that high I don't know... Have mine set to about 3200 dpi). You can adjust the sensitivity very roughly on the fly, or to an exact amount of DPI using the software.