Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    It was a good series of books and the overall story was great but the last book was not the best in the series.

It was good but not great and for many, if not most of the reason already mentioned in the thread.

10+ Year Old Account
    book.
    was.
    amazing.
    "Brace yourselves, Trolls are coming."
    Signature By: Mythriz

I feel that the Arya / Eragon ending was fair game. It suited the mood, however, what the book seriously lacked is character growth. From the first book, Eragon grown stronger, yes, but he's still the same insecure angsty teenage boy. All the other characters had 0 character growth, except for maybe Murtagh, but that was still fairly minor. Most "major" reveals were fairly obvious, as was the final battle.

HOWEVER, the book was very well written, and very enjoyable to read. The story was intriguing, and fun. So yeah, I'd recommend it to people, but I'd say it's just a lighthearted adventure tale, not a fantasy epic. That title is reserved for George R R Martin's works, which have sort of spoiled fantasy for me, as I read them just a few months ago. Eragon seems to childish and unsatisfactory by comparison. [COLOR="#FFFFFF"]I almost miss the sadistic nature of GoT where he kills off major characters at a whim.[/COLOR]

Deleted
    I enjoyed it.Seen alot of QQ on some fansites about how it ended,the green dragon and all that jazz but overall I thought it was good.

I understand the people saying the green dragon should have been there for the Galby fight but realistically he'd have to had hatched at the beginning of the book, and even then he wouldn't be half as experienced/grown as Sapphira and Thorn were.

He basically left the series open to be continued with the ending and I reeeeeeally hope he makes another 4-5 books set a few years after the current books.

Definitely agree that the Galbatorix fight could've been handled better - after a build-up over 3.5 books, it was over too quickly.

There are quite a few things that weren't tied up or explained, and some that made no sense or were irrelevant (e.g. On the island, why bother with the corrupted wildlife? Who were the men in the abandoned city? Etc).

However to the people who said there'll be a fifth book, there won't. This series was about bringing Galbatorix down and getting the Riders re-established. It's pretty much done that. There may well be another series, or individual books, but they won't be part of this series. They might not even focus on Eragon, or even include him. Just gotta wait and see ...

Quote Originally Posted by Aliessil View Post
    Who were the men in the abandoned city?
    Ground team for the USS Enterprise.

Quote Originally Posted by Edeen View Post
    Ground team for the USS Enterprise.
    Made me laugh :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Nekrosislol View Post
    It was a really good series (read 1-3 like 4 times and just finished book 4 in under 2 days). While the final fight was kinda eh, if you think about it how else would you by pass all his wards that hes been stacking? who would anticipate a spell like that? I was disappointed that arya became queen rather then become eragons wife/gf whatever you wanna call it. Though the reason for him leaving everything behind was pretty reasonable. I was suprised about the dwarfs and urgals joining the dragon riders pact.
    Wish they would of expanded on angela and her mysteriousness and the 2 female warriors that appeared in book 2 or 3 cant remember

10/10 good read. Will read it again more slowly to enjoy it.
    im rather pleased that i predicted dwarves would be included but arent urgals to big to ride dragons?
    Isnt 10% of infinite still infinite?

Quote Originally Posted by ambigiouslynamed View Post
    im rather pleased that i predicted dwarves would be included but arent urgals to big to ride dragons?
    They wouldnt be able to as soon as Humans and Elves could but eventually the dragon would be large enough.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aliessil View Post
    Definitely agree that the Galbatorix fight could've been handled better - after a build-up over 3.5 books, it was over too quickly.

There are quite a few things that weren't tied up or explained, and some that made no sense or were irrelevant (e.g. On the island, why bother with the corrupted wildlife? Who were the men in the abandoned city? Etc).

However to the people who said there'll be a fifth book, there won't. This series was about bringing Galbatorix down and getting the Riders re-established. It's pretty much done that. There may well be another series, or individual books, but they won't be part of this series. They might not even focus on Eragon, or even include him. Just gotta wait and see ...
    Like the whole Blood Price thing with Brigit and Roroan. I felt like that was a waste of a chapter.

Overall, I liked the 2nd book the best just slightly more than the first.

The whole series was great, and now I'm sad that it's over.
    Quote Originally Posted by Proberly View Post
    Oh would you now? It truly is amazing how many heroic people we have wasting their time on internet.

15+ Year Old Account
    I loved the book, it answered so many questions and had me clutched onto my hardback copy. Until the end and then I was pissed. I'm sorry I know it was a good and noble ending, but it's just such a shitty way to leave Eragon and Arya because of how much emotion and love that was built up since Carvahall. I know Chris has plans to revisit that 'verse', I just hope perhaps someday we find what truly becomes of Earyagon.<bad celeb name here

10+ Year Old Account
    i myself have just finished the last book of the series and must concur(wow this word should be banned !) that the ending was lame and the whole last book gave me an overlall un satisfied , cheap feeling. eragon feels like a wimpy pretty boy, who relies on this and that to get better and do more stuff, when he got captured in hegrind, Angela saves him, the forgotten( so lame) eldunai , the eggs , the dragon slaying spear, all feel like lame cop outs, Roran is the best character here with Nasuada, Murtagh emo pile of stupidity, but why does roran keep staring at the stone if it never has any affect. why was galbatorix really Evil? he wanted to cure the world of magic, (although a bit evily), after just finishing the sword of truth series prior to this, inheritance is pathetic. the varden seem like stupid guys who run from everything and cause trouble to all in their path, i just dont understand how the auther could be preoud of this kind of work...(rant over)

Wow... I'm completely shocked that so many of you enjoyed this final book in the series. It killed it for me.

The final section when we finally meet the green dragon was absolutely horrid. Remember that scene in the horrible Eragon movie, the scene that fans all across the world complain about whenever the movie is brought up, the scene in which a teeny little baby Sapphira flies up into the clouds and comes out a massive full grown talking dragon? Well, for some reason it seems Paolini thought it would be a good idea to add this IDENTICAL scene to the book!

Oh hey, Sapphira, looks like your only chance at romance just flew away up north with Murtagh for who knows how long -- Guess it's time to bring in a full-grown friendly dragon from nowhere. Wait, that's not enough, let's make the both of you soul-mates and fall madly in-love in a span of about 5 minutes...

Oh! Oh! And let's have this new dragon's rider be the love interest of our hero, make her the MOST beautiful being in the universe, the BEST sword-fighter ever encountered in the series, the SMARTEST and most well-versed magician from whom our hero gets most of his guidance... Oh, and of course, let's have her slay a twisted and corrupt dragon the size of a mountain with one stab of a sword. Aaaaaaaaaaaaaannnnnnnd.... hmm, she can be the queen of the elves, too, while we're at it; while she's riding a dragon.

Quote Originally Posted by Nekrosislol View Post
    It was a really good series (read 1-3 like 4 times and just finished book 4 in under 2 days). While the final fight was kinda eh, if you think about it how else would you by pass all his wards that hes been stacking? who would anticipate a spell like that? I was disappointed that arya became queen rather then become eragons wife/gf whatever you wanna call it. Though the reason for him leaving everything behind was pretty reasonable. I was suprised about the dwarfs and urgals joining the dragon riders pact.
    Wish they would of expanded on angela and her mysteriousness and the 2 female warriors that appeared in book 2 or 3 cant remember

10/10 good read. Will read it again more slowly to enjoy it.
    I agree that the fight wasn't all it should have been. The idea of making him understand what he had done was good but he should have done it better. Plus I agree about the Arya thing. I think she should have been with Eragon in the end. The fact that Eragon had to just up and leave the people he loved Arya especially angered me beyond belief. I always hoped that they would end up together but all of the sudden they had to separate. And with only have holding hands even. It seems like he just didn't want to take the time to write a romantic story between Eragon and Arya. I think that she should have accompanied him and it would have made a much better ending had Arya and Eragon left together instead of her just leaving him on the boat and saying, "Farewell, Eragon Shadeslayer." The whole thing just ended up making me feel all empty inside. The ending made me cry. He should have been able to stay with those he loved in my opinion. :'(

At Anathama:
    So much agreeing going on here. The love interest of the hero just so happens to be the next rider. And what's worse they can't even be together. Honestly it killed it for me to. I now hate everything about CP. I loved the series until they ended up having to split up. Than I said F*** you CP >.<
    Last edited by solisson; 2012-07-22 at 12:57 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Urg, why did I read this book.

Seriously, I've been raggin on this series for a while now, for reasons that should be obvious to anyone thats read it... Yet I kept thinking 'okay, maybe he'll pull it back' and then each book just got worse :S

This one was just... so bad, I thought Wise Man's Fear was a disappointment but I'd rather read no other book than WMF for the rest of my life than ever read anything by Paolini again. The ONE good part was the way they handled Galbatorix, and even that was a good idea executed poorly.... That phrase pretty much sums up the whole series really.

100% agree with everything Anathema said (p.s. LOVE the avatar is that Emily Browning?) I saw that whole 'twist' coming in the first book, pretty much the moment Arya (came very close to ruining that name for me, thankfully Arya Stark is badass enough to pull it back) was introduced, and then spent the whole series hoping it wouldn't happen.. but what do you know, he chose the path of least intellect.

It makes me sad that books like this and Twishite get sold in their billions and then there's genuinely amazing books that don't get 1/2 the fame they deserve, because they're not boiled down, rehashed copies that are 'pick up and read' material.
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30