Page 1 of 3
LastLast

How "Married Couple" friendly is Guild Wars 2?

Greetings!

My wife and I play MMO's together and we're currently playing Tera after playing WoW, AION, Rift, and SWTOR.

While we're enjoying Tera and the action combat the game AROUND the combat is rather... bleh. In fact my wife doesn't even want to level alts anymore because "we've already done that quest."

So my big question is, how 2-player friendly is GW2? In Tera we can do most everything 2 player though you keep hitting 5 mans ever 5 levels or so. (Luckily it's not been hard to get into 5 mans) In WoW 2 players are pretty much the same as 1. Rift was fun 2 player especially with the Rift mechanic though dropping and reforming the party was annoying. SWTOR worked great 2 player until our storylines told us to go to different planets to continue them. Though it was great to play in each others stories.

Also how does GW2 combat compare to Tera and WoW? (My wife's 2 biggest combat backgrounds) Is it somewhere between the two?

Thanks in advance for the help!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by GozerTC View Post
    Greetings!

My wife and I play MMO's together and we're currently playing Tera after playing WoW, AION, Rift, and SWTOR.

While we're enjoying Tera and the action combat the game AROUND the combat is rather... bleh. In fact my wife doesn't even want to level alts anymore because "we've already done that quest."

So my big question is, how 2-player friendly is GW2? In Tera we can do most everything 2 player though you keep hitting 5 mans ever 5 levels or so. (Luckily it's not been hard to get into 5 mans) In WoW 2 players are pretty much the same as 1. Rift was fun 2 player especially with the Rift mechanic though dropping and reforming the party was annoying. SWTOR worked great 2 player until our storylines told us to go to different planets to continue them. Though it was great to play in each others stories.

Also how does GW2 combat compare to Tera and WoW? (My wife's 2 biggest combat backgrounds) Is it somewhere between the two?

I plan on playing it with my bf =) And hopefully we get our full gaming crew together that is 4-5 people.
    To me it seems like this game is perfect to play together, especially with world pvp where you can head out on your own missions helping your server =)
    Only problem seems to be in structured pvp, where you cant queue for games in a party and therefor not be sure to play together. Wierd if it will work that way tbh

Greetings!

It's action orientated hotkey combat, so I guess it's a mix between Tera and WoW. It's definitely a lot harder than WoW, and it's also a lot more "skilled" player friendly, if that makes sense. If you're good at the game, you can solo champion (basically mini world bosses) mobs, while in a game like WoW you just can't.

I can't describe the personal story, since I didn't do it in the beta, but it's related to your race and how you create your character, so it's like TOR in that way. But even more dynamic. Your decisions are a lot more relevant, and there's more than just one story for each class.

The game is overall very group friendly. There's no such things as kill stealing, everyone has unique loot, everything scales accordingly, and so on. It is built from the start with the multiplayer aspect in mind.
    Last edited by Larynx; 2012-05-05 at 10:02 PM.

The game is basicly designed to be a multiplayer on just about every level. I dont think there is any part of GW2 where you cannot group with someone else and do it together.
    Even without grouping you are always cooperating, and working together, with other players on the Events. Simply because thats how it works. The game motives cooperation, and most of it you do not need to group for. Just be at the same place and do what is needed to resolve the issue succesfully.

Combat doesnt really compare to WoW, at all. It has hotkeys and thats where it ends. Playing it as if its WoW will get you, and your wife, killed... a lot. Tera is a closer comparison, you need to actively avoid attacks or mitigate them. Using the abilities at the right time is key to success, and you can even combo with other abilities (for example, shooting an Arrow to a Firewall put down by someone else will ignite the arrow and itll deal extra damge)

Its an nice game to just play for fun, without a montly fee. So whenever you're tired with it, you can just shelve it and come back later. Since there is no gear threadmill á la WoW you wont suddenly have fallen tiers behind, where you need to grind ez-mode dungeons just to catch up and actually play the game again. You are as strong as you were when you left.

10+ Year Old Account
    In the Beta Weekend Events, if you're in a group with a friend and you're both trying to quest around, when you enter a zone, one or both of you were probably sent to an "overflow server" because the main servers were at capacity. Many people had issues with not being able to play with their friends throughout the entire BWE because of this and ArenaNet has acknowledged it and hopefully this is corrected. If this issue was fixed, GW2 would be VERY group-friendly.

I couldn't play with my friend in the last BWE because of this and we were quite frustrated that our stories couldn't go together and we had to play separately. I could imagine that dynamic world events would be a lot more fun with a friend at your side to help out and that's what I'm hoping for out of a future BWE to really test how I could be playing the game.
    Last edited by Whisperawr; 2012-05-05 at 10:06 PM.

Deleted
    Since the game is all about teaming up (Being in a /group is not necessary) it will really be friendly with players playing with each other since the game is very dynamic. The dynamic events makes sure your leveling experience will be unqiue every time you create a new character, since different dynamic events will appear for you if you make different choices.

All I can say about the combat though, is that it might be hard for some players, since it's very dynamic, and much about position and to use the dodge button well.

I haven't played Tera, but it seems that the attacks in that game, you have to stand still to be able to fire them off. In Guild Wars 2 you can cast and run at the same time, if the spell isn't a channeling one that is.

Okay follow-up then. Since we can do world stuff whenever and however we like as a couple, how hard will it be to get into dungeon runs? Is there a dungeon cue or some such? Since there are no quests are you funneled toward dungeons in some way?

Deleted
    Okay follow-up then. Since we can do world stuff whenever and however we like as a couple, how hard will it be to get into dungeon runs? Is there a dungeon cue or some such? Since there are no quests are you funneled toward dungeons in some way?
    Since there is no tank/healer roles in Guild Wars 2, finding a group is not hard at all, since you can pick whatever profession you want to come with you. You all can play as Elementalist if you so desire.

There is no LFG tool so you have to assemble the group yourself.

I don't know if there will be quests to take you there, but the dungeons are marked on the map, it's like a woodengate with stones around it, so it's not hard at all to get there since it's waypoints to teleport there (if you have unlocked the waypoint first by walking there).

Well at this point not that much is known about the dungeons themselves. Atleast not how you get into them, dont think you are funneled towards them. And as far as i know there is no LFG-system either. The dungeons have two modes, Story and Exploration. Story is basicly Easy-mode for the sake of seeing the content. Exploration is the Hardmode with hardmode rewards, and it really is hardmode. So i dont think you'd want to get a random pug for that anyway.

On the plus side, there is no Holy trinity. So you do not need 1 tank, 1 healer and 3 dps. You just need 5 people.

Deleted
    About GW2 and Tera combat
    I have downloaded Tera , and its a fantastic game
    Theres 2 problems from PvP-combat prospective

1) Each spell-attack <<root>> u in place , where u have to wait 0.25-0.75 sec , in order the animation of the spell to end , before u can jump-move or cast an other spell (u cant cancel it)
    This doesnt aply to Gw2

2) All classes have some kind of some kind of teleport (chargeforward -or dodge backwards) with 8-10 sec cd
    In GW2 u can dodge 2 times (each for half the distance of Tera) , before a <<bar>> run out of energy (the bar need 7-8 sec to fill up again) , but u can dodge in any direction u want.
    And it can be used as a mini charge or disengage , in order to run away or to catch an enemy

From PvE prospective i dont have a clue about both games
    Last edited by mmocd9c65c8d53; 2012-05-05 at 10:22 PM.

Hmm... so from the sounds of things it'd go something like this:

Wife and I make our characters which will be completely separate at first. Then at lvl 2 we can get to a hub city and then meet up.

At this point we can do each other's story quests together.
    Wander around the world doing hearts, dynamic events, and the like together
    Then when we feel we're high enough level mosey on over to the dungeon and grab three random other people there and enjoy a simple story mode version of the dungeon before moving on to another area.

Does that about sum it up?

Deleted

Wife and I make our characters which will be completely separate at first. Then at lvl 2 we can get to a hub city and then meet up.

Then when we feel we're high enough level mosey on over to the dungeon and grab three random other people there and enjoy a simple story mode version of the dungeon before moving on to another area.

This sounds about right. Have fun playing with your wife/husband!

Thats how you could go about doing it, yes.

@OP

Very friendly. There is a huge amount of variation in the PVE questing and in the personal stories. Which you guys can help each other with as a 2 player party and have 2 TOTALLY differing personal storylines- yet both can experience them by turn. Can even play the same race 3-4 times and have differing stories and quests. This doesn't even touch on the fact the world "quests" are ever changing and we are able to visit any zones in a non linear fashion.

There are no tanks or healers either. So neither of you are locked into playing a specific role. Only whatever class you think is fun at the time. Lastly, the level curve is flat and zones scale you down to level. So one can not significantly out level the other by lite solo play, and should you do when you guys party up to go to the lower level of your partner you will be equal again.

Oh, and you guys can play grouped in 2s forever and the other people around can't grief ya, or compete for your mobs or generally bully you guys.

Incredibly friendly, because should you ever play separately and one of you outlevels the other (a serious problem when playing a game with your significant other, I know), the higher level of the pair can actually go back and get downleveled to the other' level and still do DEs with them.

That's what my Wife and I did during the last beta (minus the part about the dungeon since we didn't get that far). I have very little experience with TERA, as the beta turned me off in a big way, but the combat does feel like a happy medium between that and WoW in my opinion.

10+ Year Old Account
    lost somewhere in the corn fields of middle America
    The biggest grief atm to grouping with your wife, as I tried to do this last BWE is the over flow problem. If you have to travel to a different instanced zone, as in capital cities, instanced quest area's and what not you will most likely as in almost every time end up in a different over flow server and it gets quite frustrating. I do expect some of this to lessen post launch when the populations spread out more and less people are packed into the same zones however I do very, very, very much hope they address it. They say they will and so we will wait and see.

Beyond that when you do get together its a very fun game that is only enhanced by playing with others and can be very fun. I do not know if you can share story quest area's or not, if not thats a huge let down. We just ended up doing story quests when we where waiting to both end up in the same instanced zone.

Quote Originally Posted by Herecius View Post
    Incredibly friendly, because should you ever play separately and one of you outlevels the other (a serious problem when playing a game with your significant other, I know), the higher level of the pair can actually go back and get downleveled to the other' level and still do DEs with them.
    Ah yah, dont forget this. You can essentially not outlevel eachother. The higher leveld person can always go back to the content of the lower leveld person. And still get meaningfull reward and xp from that content. Your level gets scaled to the content you are in.

Well these all sound like very good things.

So as far as I've seen there's no way into the Beta's beyond pre-ordering?

Well these all sound like very good things.

So as far as I've seen there's no way into the Beta's beyond pre-ordering?
    *Pre-purchasing. Important distinction!