Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Worth getting 360 now?

I've been contemplating getting a 360 since the newer generation with wifi was launched. I have a ps3 already.

Now the new star wars edition 360 looks pretty neat with kinect and a 320gig hd. But with a $450 price tag and rumblings of the next gen "720" possibly coming out next year. Is it worth picking up or just waiting for the next gen? I only use my ps3 for the occasional party game, gt5, and skyrim. Mostly I think I want kinect games, maybe some of the exclusives like forza or halo.

Please no console flame wars. No pc vs console crap either.

If this is in the wrong section can I get a mod move?
    Last edited by Lightwysh; 2012-05-05 at 07:00 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, I wouldn't buy a console just for a couple of games, especially if I already owned one. But if you feel like you'll enjoy the few game's you'll play on it, go for it. I can't imagine the 360 being that expensive anymore.
    Resurrected Holy Priest

I'd get one of the cheaper versions and skip on Kinect, unless you're the biggest Dance Central fan ever. There's a number of 360 exclusives worth getting a 360 for though.

I love my xbox, it was worth every penny spent! I suggest you pick it up, thanks to my xbox I never play Wow anymore

SUPER MEAT BOY!!!!

Stood in the Fire
    15+ Year Old Account
    I would advise waiting on the next gen consoles to come around. Given the price of the newest 360 are fluctuating so much based kinect upgrades you could probably pick up the newer gen console and have a longer life span on it then the current new gen 360. That is if you want to future releases going 3-5 + years into the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Caiada View Post
    I'd get one of the cheaper versions and skip on Kinect, unless you're the biggest Dance Central fan ever. There's a number of 360 exclusives worth getting a 360 for though.
    I have a 12yo daughter that goes apeshit for dance games. I personally liked the kinect adventures. Kinect would be a must have.

Deleted
    Theres going to be (rumored at least) 99 dollar version of it with kinect. No point buying 450 one now if that is coming soon =/
    Next gen consoles are said to be not revealed in e3 so if thats true, theres at least 2 years time (sadly for those that want next gen) to play this gen games.

Seriously tho, until 99 dollar Xbox comes..stick with PS3. Few similiar games arent all that great, unless you really want to play dance central, lol. Most games are on both consoles anyway

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceleaf View Post
    Theres going to be (rumored at least) 99 dollar version of it with kinect. No point buying 450 one now if that is coming soon =/
    Next gen consoles are said to be not revealed in e3 so if thats true, theres at least 2 years time (sadly for those that want next gen) to play this gen games.

Seriously tho, until 99 dollar Xbox comes..stick with PS3. Few similiar games arent all that great, unless you really want to play dance central, lol. Most games are on both consoles anyway
    Indeed a $99 xbox 360 with kinect is coming but there is also a mandatory $15 a month subscription with it for a set period, as far as I read. You get gold membership with that subscription though. This is atleast what I've read on websites, no idea how long you have to pay $15 a month for though.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong though please I have an old 360 I was planning to give to someone as a present (as they are financially in a difficult period and it would cheer them up I think) and get a new gen 360 and this $99 offer seems very interesting for me
    Last edited by Nerph-; 2012-05-05 at 06:41 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by d3v View Post
    Indeed a xbox 360 with kinect is coming but there is also a mandatory a month subscription with it for a set period, as far as I read. You get gold membership with that subscription though. This is atleast what I've read on websites, no idea how long you have to pay a month for though.
    It's two years. This plan is slightly more expensive than getting a normal xbox with kinect and a 2 year xbox gold subscription.

I love my 360, but I'd recommend one of the cheaper versions. I don't see how anyone could need a 320 gigabyte hard drive unless you plan on storing a shitload of movies on it. I have the smallest hard drive available for 360, I never delete my save games, and with 35k+ gamerscore I still have plenty of space. My hard drive is literally like 12 gigs. Kinect has always felt like a silly gimmick to me.

On the other hand though, there's not really a lot of exclusives I'm looking forward to these days. The only one that comes to mind is Halo 4. Most of the must have games for me are multiplatform. So if I owned a PS3 and not a 360 I doubt I'd care that much. If you don't mind games that are a few years old though, the 360 does have some great exclusives.

Exclusives to get imo.

Gears of War series.
    Halo series, (1 and 2 are original xbox though Halo 1 recently got a remake for 360)
    Crackdown series
    If you're into RPGs Blue Dragon and Lost Odyssey are must haves. They are amazing and made by the creator of Final Fantasy.
    A hidden gem on the 360 that few know about is Castlevania: Symphony of the night on the Xbox Live arcade for 800 MS points. If you've never played the original, and don't mind really old games it's amazing and a total classic.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Chopard View Post
    It's two years. This plan is slightly more expensive than getting a normal xbox with kinect and a 2 year xbox gold subscription.
    Aha, thanks for the quick reply. Dunno what I'll do then We'll see I guess.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceleaf View Post

Damn I thought the new consoles are being revealed this year, that sucks ><

If the new ones aren't revealed I can see the 360 lasting almost 2 more years and it would be well worth the money.

Indeed a $99 xbox 360 with kinect is coming but there is also a mandatory $15 a month subscription with it for a set period, as far as I read. You get gold membership with that subscription though. This is atleast what I've read on websites, no idea how long you have to pay $15 a month for though.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong though please I have an old 360 I was planning to give to someone as a present (as they are financially in a difficult period and it would cheer them up I think) and get a new gen 360 and this $99 offer seems very interesting for me
    This sounds amazing!

Edit. After seeing a 2yr commitment. Pretty much confirms no next gen for 2years.
    Last edited by Lightwysh; 2012-05-05 at 07:02 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    I enjoy it and the achievement points games have, far better than the trophy system PS3 has.

Deleted
    Though i really love my Xbox360 and i also own kinect i wouldn't recommend you to spent 450 bucks on it just for a few kinect games ...
    i have 5 kinect games so far, and they ALL were boring after about 3days to one week playing them ...
    although the technology is really promising they haven't managed to use it to such an extend, were a dedicated gamer would enjoy those games for more than one week.

also with alot of rumors out there - i have no links to back up the following statements, as already mentioned they are rumors ...

- next generation of Xbox will ship X-mas 2014 ...
    - next generation will have an improved Kinect that comes with the console.

Well ... since you already have a PS3 you might want to try PSmove, my room mate has one and there are some fun games too. at least trying that won't be that expansive.

Ha...I've been thinking of the complete opposite, own a 360 thinking about getting a ps3, mostly for GT5 as well as having a Blu Ray player.

I would say yes, but I wouldn't waste money on the expensive version....you can get a 250gb system pretty cheap. Got mine from a buddy that went out on Black Friday so I got a pretty good deal, I've only had it since then, so not even 6 months. The halo games are worth it if you enjoy the series enough, and I don't know much about Forza but I wouldn't expect it to compete with the giant awesomesauceness of the Gran Turismo series if racing is your thing. Some games just play better on consoles as well due to having the joystick, but in that regard you do have a console already so meh.

As for waiting for the next gen consoles, I'd say fuck that. We don't know much of anything about them, and they are going to be very expensive when launched in which case you may as well go a little further and just get a new PC for the extra money, but that is just my opinion. Not to mention, with all these fancy features I hear being tossed about, I would fully expect the consoles to have all sorts of problems from overheating, things breaking, etc, which would then go unfixed until the second edition (much like the 360 Slim) is introduced that fixes a lot of the problems. Just an assumption on my part, but I'll be very surprised if the consoles don't have a lot of problems. That being said, I wouldn't spend more than 300 dollars all around for the console (excluding games of course).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lightwysh View Post
    I've been contemplating getting a 360 since the newer generation with wifi was launched. I have a ps3 already.

Now the new star wars edition 360 looks pretty neat with kinect and a 320gig hd. But with a $450 price tag and rumblings of the next gen "720" possibly coming out next year. Is it worth picking up or just waiting for the next gen? I only use my ps3 for the occasional party game, gt5, and skyrim. Mostly I think I want kinect games, maybe some of the exclusives like forza or halo.

Please no console flame wars. No pc vs console crap either.

If this is in the wrong section can I get a mod move?
    If you are breaking the bank to get the SW bundle I wouldn't, I would say get a cheaper one and see how you like it. On the topic of next gen, that's still a long way off, there is more than enough time to justify the system cost.

That being said, if you have a PS3 you don't NEED an xbox unless you really want a kinect or you have a craving for their exclusive titles, which there aren't many.

Long story short, if you genuinely want one, it's worth getting one.

---------- Post added 2012-05-05 at 03:18 PM ----------

This sounds amazing!

Edit. After seeing a 2yr commitment. Pretty much confirms no next gen for 2years.
    I personally think it's a sales tactic for next gen, they get 100 bucks for the system, hook you in for 1.5 years, the new system comes out and you are committed for 6 months and more likely to purchase the new system. (obviously these numbers are just a random guess)

Not getting out my tinfoil hat, I just think it's possible that their time frame could be an attempt to sell a few more systems, I also think it's a good deal if you plan to have gold that long anyway, very similar to WoW's annual pass. If you don't for sure want 2 years of gold then it's probably not a great deal.
    Last edited by Shuya82; 2012-05-05 at 08:19 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quick question to someone who has both an xbox and ps3, or has used both "frequently". I have an xbox360 and my mate has a ps3... and I for the life of me can not use the ps3 controllers without getting hand cramp when i'm playing at his place! Anyone else have this problem?

Quick question to someone who has both an xbox and ps3, or has used both "frequently". I have an xbox360 and my mate has a ps3... and I for the life of me can not use the ps3 controllers without getting hand cramp when i'm playing at his place! Anyone else have this problem?
    I don't own the 360 as you can tell but I do get hand pain on ps3. I think the controllers are designed for little hands. The Xbox classic and 360 controllers are much more comfortable IMO.

Back OT: how important is hard drive? I have 40gig on ps3 and I have to delete crap everytime I get a new game due to day 1 patches and what not. I think the 320gig on the SW bundle is pretty decent. Are there demos like ps3 that I can stockpile? I should add the SW bundle is more for my wife than me.
    Last edited by Lightwysh; 2012-05-06 at 12:05 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    I don't own the 360 as you can tell but I do get hand pain on ps3. I think the controllers are designed for little hands. The Xbox classic and 360 controllers are much more comfortable IMO.

Back OT: how important is hard drive? I have 40gig on ps3 and I have to delete crap everytime I get a new game due to day 1 patches and what not. I think the 320gig on the SW bundle is pretty decent. Are there demos like ps3 that I can stockpile? I should add the SW bundle is more for my wife than me.
    I think the harddrive is quite important personally. You can install your games to it, which essentially makes them load quicker (on startup, during zone changes etc). Some games DONT benefit from being installed on the harddrive though, like Halo supposidly. But most do, as far as I've read. I always check when I get a new game if I should install it on the harddrive or not. Also with the old 360's, this meant the game disk wasnt being used to read data constantly, and therefore was quieter in general. Dunno if the latest 360's still have this "issue".

edit: game disk still needs to be in the drive though, even if the game is installed to harddrive.

edit2: and yes there are demos from the game marketplace.
    Last edited by Nerph-; 2012-05-06 at 01:20 AM.