Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Building a space station on the moon and eventually Mars. Although I will probably be really old by the time they build a Mars space station. Also they plan on even making a space hotel. It's been a while since I read about it so I'm not sure if they're still going to do it but it's supposed to be like some huge elevator thing that brings you up to this floating hotel so maybe I'll see that too. Also the day that we finally find signs of intelligent life on another planet in our galaxy. That would probably be the coolest day of my life if we can find actual proof that intelligent aliens exist. Damn if only I could freeze myself so that I could wake up in the 2100's and see all this stuff.
    Last edited by Pony Soldier; 2013-04-29 at 02:24 PM.
    - "If you have a problem figuring out whether you're for me or Trump, then you ain't black" - Jo Bodin, BLM supporter
    - "I got hairy legs that turn blonde in the sun. The kids used to come up and reach in the pool & rub my leg down so it was straight & watch the hair come back up again. So I learned about roaches, I learned about kids jumping on my lap, and I love kids jumping on my lap...” - Pedo Joe

The discovery of alien life

10+ Year Old Account
    The technological singularity.

http://futuretimeline.net/ Great website when you're bored.
    Last edited by SLSAMG; 2013-04-30 at 02:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ChadBroChill17 View Post
    the cure for cancer. seriously, we are coming up with some awesome stuff.
    The Gerson Therapy, Antineoplastins, Coffee enima/Veg/Fruit Diet. They can cure cancer, its rejected by the FDA because there is no money in it at all.

Back to the topic at hand I'd like to see honestly just androids/robots.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by elucidate View Post
    The technological singularity.

http://futuretimeline.net/ Great website when you're bored.
    http://futuretimeline.net/beyond.htm#chernobyl Haha, only have to wait 20,000 more years.

And

http://futuretimeline.net/beyond.htm#dark

That's depressing. 10^100 years from now, but still, depressing. Though I'm not sure the Heat Death has yet been confirmed over the Big Crunch.
    Putin khuliyo

Cure for cancer

Aliens.

10chars
    People don't forgive, they forget. - Rust Cohle

Medical = Cure for Cancer / Aids (My tin-hat theory is that the drug companies already have the cure, but would kill their profits.../another story)

Tech = Completely auto driven cars...as where you sit in the car, put in an address and sitback and relax while it takes you there. Probably have to be specific roadways or limited access lanes for this.

15+ Year Old Account
    Colony on Mars/Moon, the start of exploring and the ability to live outside of our solar system.
    PROUD TRUMP SUPPORTER, #2024Trump #MAGA
    PROUD TRUMP CAMPAIGN SUPPORTER #SaveEuropeWithTrump
    PROUD SUPPORTER OF THE WALL
    BLUE LIVES MATTER
    NO TO ALL GUNCONTROL OR BACKGROUND CHECKS IN EUROPE
    /s

The biggest feat we will see in our generation, i believe will be in the area of regeneration, both of materials and tissues, we already have smart metals but those arent quite the same, imagine a cellphone that repairs itself if you drop it, and so forth.

If all goes well i do intend to work in longevity and regeneration, to allow people to live far longer and if something happens to them, to have the ability to regenerate/regrow/remake.

It is a bit arrogant of me i guess, to assume that the greatest human feat in the next decades will come from an area i have interest on and want to work on, but honestly what is the use of space travel and high tech if our lives are still so short?
    Last edited by Kurioxan; 2013-04-30 at 05:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vhoosh View Post
    The complete fulfillment of the transhumanism movement, which could lead to technological immortality.
    This. Transhumanism will change everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostlore View Post
    Medical = Cure for Cancer / Aids (My tin-hat theory is that the drug companies already have the cure, but would kill their profits.../another story)

Tech = Completely auto driven cars...as where you sit in the car, put in an address and sitback and relax while it takes you there. Probably have to be specific roadways or limited access lanes for this.

The cure for cancer will end up being further development of the patient-specific genomic therapies that are already being used. Drug companies aren't holding out on us.

I think the most significant breakthrough will be the halting of the aging process without compromising the body's immune system.

Something that will make people stop crying about flying mounts in WoW.

Cures for cancer and HIV / AIDS, then the discovery of the next big bad illness.

Quote Originally Posted by shnuggle View Post
    The discovery of alien life
    How is the discovery of alien life a scientific feat? That's like saying that the discovery of the Americas was a scientific feat. That's an explorational feat. If the discovery was made by some super-advanced galaxy-searching drone then the drone itself could be a scientific feat.

I hope the biggest scientific feat will be something super revolutionary in the energy field that, with all the focus on development of green technologies, batteries etc. something big is bound to happen during the next 50 years.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by killerlee View Post
    The Gerson Therapy, Antineoplastins, Coffee enima/Veg/Fruit Diet. They can cure cancer, its rejected by the FDA because there is no money in it at all.
    You seem to know a lot on the effectiveness of therapies that have been proved uneffective and/or dangerous (although parts of Gerson therapy are considered a good way to prevent cancer, not cure it). Also fun to see Antineoplastins in these, with "rejected by the FDA because there is no money in it" right after, while Burzynski Clinic asks for about $30k per month for this treatment. Can hardly call this "no money at all", this is way more than almost every other therapies used right now.

And more on topic, in fact I'd say I'd love to see the day fission gets controlled. Free and clean energy everywhere would change the whole face of the world quite quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by Zarc View Post
    How is the discovery of alien life a scientific feat? That's like saying that the discovery of the Americas was a scientific feat. That's an explorational feat. If the discovery was made by some super-advanced galaxy-searching drone then the drone itself could be a scientific feat.

I hope the biggest scientific feat will be something super revolutionary in the energy field that, with all the focus on development of green technologies, batteries etc. something big is bound to happen during the next 50 years.
    Because we can not simply sail a boat round in space and stumble upon an island of life. We have no way right now to find life outside our own solar system and pretty much nothing to find life on any planet bar mars. If we found life outside our solar system we would have created some amazing technology to do so.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ysilla View Post
    And more on topic, in fact I'd say I'd love to see the day fission gets controlled. Free and clean energy everywhere would change the whole face of the world quite quickly.
    You mean fusion. Fission is what we have now.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    You mean fusion. Fission is what we have now.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ITER

They're doing it. At least, trying to do it.

Edit: They've had controlled fusion for quite a while. It was power negative, however (took more to run than it produced). If this one works as planned, it'll be power positive.
    Last edited by belfpala; 2013-04-30 at 10:21 PM.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.