Thread: Fist of Fury

Fist of Fury

Should I or should I not be using it in my rotation on a boss fight? been doing my own "test" on the dummy, and I can't decide for myself if it's worth it or not. Seems like I do more DPS, but about the same damage over 10 minutes.

10+ Year Old Account
    Don't use it during flurry if you use it at all,
    are you stacking crit over haste? If you are use it, if you are stacking haste over FoF its a dps loss
    Shall I be dramatic and say "You haven't heard the last of me,"?

LIFE

(L)ive, (I)nfluence, (F)ight, (E)njoy

Stacking haste > cit

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gurushockin View Post
    Stacking haste > cit
    Don't use it
    Shall I be dramatic and say "You haven't heard the last of me,"?

LIFE

(L)ive, (I)nfluence, (F)ight, (E)njoy

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gurushockin View Post
    Should I or should I not be using it in my rotation on a boss fight? been doing my own "test" on the dummy, and I can't decide for myself if it's worth it or not. Seems like I do more DPS, but about the same damage over 10 minutes.
    It's a DPS increase if you use it right. Basically you aren't trying to use it on cooldown but instead when it's optimal. I haven't DPSed this tier but basically the idea was that you want to use it when the boss is not in danger of moving, you are low on energy, EB is on CD, you have RSK on CD and have TP up. You basically use it to replace melee attacks while your energy regens, making sure you don't energy cap or delay RSK.

I look forward to more experienced WW monks chiming in!

Quote Originally Posted by aikoyamamato View Post
    It's a DPS increase if you use it right. Basically you aren't trying to use it on cooldown but instead when it's optimal. I haven't DPSed this tier but basically the idea was that you want to use it when the boss is not in danger of moving, you are low on energy, EB is on CD, you have RSK on CD and have TP up. You basically use it to replace melee attacks while your energy regens, making sure you don't energy cap or delay RSK.

That's pretty much it. However, not using it doesn't do much harm and misusing it is an overall DPS loss.
    Last edited by Jaese; 2013-05-01 at 10:18 PM.
    Stormrage US | Aesryn

Quote Originally Posted by Jaese View Post
    That's pretty much it. However, not using it doesn't do much harm and misusing it is an overall DPS loss.
    Not using it can result in a dps loss as soon as you get energy starved and spend time waiting. If you have enough haste that you can take it out of the rotation completely, then you can add it in, lower your haste and spend those stat points on something more valuable like mastery or crit.
    Also, FoF goes faster with haste (since 5.2 i think), so it's still a dps increase once you meet the conditions that aiko pointed out.

I would say you should only not use it if you can't seem to get a full cast off in a raid environment (don't forget that turning with your mouse doesn't break the cast). That's as far as I know.

Deleted
    FoF scales with haste since it was implemented. What you are referring to, Allyrion, is probably the bug that ticks were lost with too much haste, eg. bringing FoF under 3.5 s resulted in 1 tick lost. It was fixed even before 5.2 (I can't remember exactly if it was 5.1 or a hotfix in 5.0). Until this was fixed, when you reached a specific amount of haste, you didn't use FoF at all.

It's a DPS increase if you use it right. Basically you aren't trying to use it on cooldown but instead when it's optimal.
    This sums it up quite perfectly. The exact situations have been discussed here quite often and should be easy to find.

On a sidenote: The exact amount of haste, which is "too much" to use FoF, depends a bit on your latency and other factors. Most feel comfortable with about 6.5k - 7k right now while including FoF. A lower value makes it a bit easier to play and is more forgiving towards higher latencies.
    Last edited by mmoc48c29aaf6e; 2013-05-02 at 03:01 PM.

Exactly. All of the listed conditions MUST be true for you to use it. The effect of which is that you will rarely use it, but it's great when you're able to because suddenly you have 50ish extra energy at the end of the channel, and it dpsed for more that your autoattacks would have.

Quote Originally Posted by grimsanta View Post
    Exactly. All of the listed conditions MUST be true for you to use it. The effect of which is that you will rarely use it, but it's great when you're able to because suddenly you have 50ish extra energy at the end of the channel, and it dpsed for more that your autoattacks would have.
    Well, that helped me out. I thought it was an increase myself if used on CD. Good to know.

Once you get a RoR trinket, the usefulness of FoF becomes even greater. Once the trinket procs, your energy regen is shot. Your goal is to cap out on chi, use your TB with 2 secs left on RoR, RSK, and then FoF to let your energy gain back.

Before RoR, it's pretty much what others have said. I personally hate FoF because of all the movement involved this tier, but it is a DPS increase if used correctly. I put using Chi Wave above FoF.

I run with low haste and stack crit, my haste is low enough that I can use FoF almost on cooldown to regain energy almost to full, and energizing brew almost on cooldown as well. If you run this way, you want to use FoF whenever RSK will not come off cooldown, energy will not cap, and you do not have to break the channel. It is also good when it stacks with a strong trinket proc.