Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by sarahfireworks View Post
    That is awesome, you just made my day. I'm so going to check the GTN when I get on later today. Where are they listed? Is it like a CM consumable or something? I might have to find someone to buy me some. It would be nice be rid of that guilt from inconveniencing groups already. I know it's selfish, but if I only have 5 of these I'm saving them for when I die way down deep in a dungeon somewhere and don't want to run all the way back.
    You can find them under cartel market unlocks -> consumable sub section in the GTN interface. Usually type "medical" to see if anybody's listing them for sale. Hope you can find them on your server
    Currently playing: GW, TORTANIC.
    Still visit: TSW, W*, GW2, Rift, LOTRO, ESO.
    Endure. In enduring, grow strong.

Is there a way to unlock extra characters via the GTN? I checked today and haven't seen anything.

On a different note, I had forgotten how bad the lag is at the Fleet, plus how many loading screens this game has, It was testing to say the least, but let's see how the stories go. But playing a bit today I kept wondering all along why they couldn't implement an F2P system like Rift's or Tera's. Anyway, at least I am preferred so it's not that bad.

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pourekos View Post
    Is there a way to unlock extra characters via the GTN? I checked today and haven't seen anything.
    Anything that can be purchased on the Cartel Market can be sold on the GTN afaik. However, you can have 6 characters per server as preferred, so you are free to have all the classes, just need to break them up over 2 servers. Considering how populated they are, this isn't as big a deal, though obviously it's rough not playing with your friends. If you just want to see stories and play different AC's though, this is a great thing. They could have limited it to 6 total.
    On a different note, I had forgotten how bad the lag is at the Fleet, plus how many loading screens this game has
    The game is still not well optimized. It has improved greatly, but yeah...it is what it is. Thankfully while leveling you don't notice as much since you aren't hopping all over the galaxy.
    BAD WOLF

On a different note, I had forgotten how bad the lag is at the Fleet, plus how many loading screens this game has, It was testing to say the least, but let's see how the stories go. But playing a bit today I kept wondering all along why they couldn't implement an F2P system like Rift's or Tera's. Anyway, at least I am preferred so it's not that bad.
    Keep checking, I've bought a couple off the GTN since I didn't want to grind out two legacies. Kitty's suggestion is also equally viable if you're having a hard time finding the unlocks. Nice thing about the character unlocks is that they're a global unlock so if you want to reroll to other servers you'll get extra slots you've purchased there as well. Wish legacy race unlocks worked the same way.
    Currently playing: GW, TORTANIC.
    Still visit: TSW, W*, GW2, Rift, LOTRO, ESO.
    Endure. In enduring, grow strong.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kittyvicious View Post
    So, it's Friday and I have to admit something. It can likely be attirbuted to my bipolar MMO disorder, where I must play them all, but I reinstalled SWTOR the other night. I haven't done anything crazy like spend money or purchase RotHC, but I did play. So here's some out of character statements:

-Forgot how fun just playing the game is. Forcing myself to ignore that a company I hate has involvement in it, forgetting past experiences, and just playing the game is immensely fun.

-To help aid the previous statement, I said goodbye to some old alts (none higher than level 15) so I could make a new character. I was a little annoyed that character creation is so limited, but even more annoyed that I was actually tempted to buy the cathar b/c they look so cool. (I played around at the make up station on my main to see what they could look like) I may need to hide my wallet this weekend.

-Even with the in your face reminders (which really are as bad as we all said a long time ago) the game was inherently captivating. I 'forced' myself to watch cutscenes play out and it was generally a nice change of pace. I looked at my environment, took my time, generally got involved in the game instead of merely smashing my buttons running from quest to quest.

-The game still looks great and feels slightly better optimized than the last time I played. I always liked their aesthetic and think they nailed the SW feel. I actually looked at all the glowy lights, buttons and text on consoles, etc. Definitely an underrated game graphically, as it gets overshadowed by the poor optimization.

The take away is really no different than I have said all along. The basic game is honestly very good. The quest experience, the design, all very smooth. It will surely not last long enough to overcome my anger with everything else, but it does highlight the greatest thing about F2P games. They are free. I will probably play this character, reroll another alt, and just generally mess around in the game because that's the beauty of F2P.

Anyone else have similar experiences recently or in the past...dusted off a toon and just played because you could?
    Who are you and what have you done with Kitty!!!

I actually did something weird in the game last night myself: I did a daily (GASP)! Tried the Heroic +2 Darkness On Ilum cause I needed to hit something with my lightsabers and I was just reading about Ilum to my little one from the star wars atlas to help him get to sleep. Accidentally pulled two groups of mobs while on the last boss of the quest (so three groups of mobs. 11 total) and didn't die.

Made me smile a bit.
    MLP Friendship Is Magic - Republic - The Harbinger
    The Madhi Legacy
    Slugfest - 55 Watchman Sentinel | Slugtrooper - 55 Gunnery Commando | Slugconsular - 55 Seer Consular | Slackfest - 55 Sharpshooter Gunslinger | Slugagent - 55 Marksmanship Sniper | Slugwarrior- 55 Annihilation Marauder | Slughunter- 55 Arsenal Mercenary | Slugsorcerer- 55 Lightning Sorcerer

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Slugfest View Post
    Who are you and what have you done with Kitty!!!

I actually did something weird in the game last night myself: I did a daily (GASP)! Tried the Heroic +2 Darkness On Ilum cause I needed to hit something with my lightsabers and I was just reading about Ilum to my little one from the star wars atlas to help him get to sleep. Accidentally pulled two groups of mobs while on the last boss of the quest (so three groups of mobs. 11 total) and didn't die.

Made me smile a bit.
    I just said the same thing. I mean... what the... Kitty? Is that you? A POSITIVE statement? This is more shocking than reddit.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Forsedar View Post
    I just said the same thing. I mean... what the... Kitty? Is that you? A POSITIVE statement? This is more shocking than reddit.
    Let's be fair... I have never, ever said this game was crappy. I may have criticized certain aspects, been harsher at times when it deserves it, but all of the vitriol has at least 90% of the time been directed at the company and their poor decisions. I'm just really, really good about getting angry at them and expressing it.

The heart of the game cannot be tarnished by their ineptitude...and this is coming from someone who is not crazy about Star Wars in general. But hey, we all go through ups and downs and the forums are for sharing them. To be fair, I thought this would be my new WoW because when it launched (during craptaclysm) it had everything going for it. Mistake after mistake ruined it for me...and that was very disappointing.

But hey..let's not derail this super awesome thread. I probably will be too busy on WoW during the week to see some more Inquis action, but I have plans to get a few more levels in this weekend. Love, love the class stories. I cannot reiterate that enough. Even the bad ones just make the game that much more fun to play.
    BAD WOLF

I had considered going back, but then I remember the main reason I left, once you've seen the quests on both sides you've seen 95% of what you are going to see on any class you play. I stopped and smelled the roses my first 3-4 times through, watching all the cut scenes, making different choices than I would have on previous toons, etc. It just got insanely dull for me because I knew the next new class was going to be basically the same thing with a twist here or there, not really enough to make me want to do it again.

Secondly when SOE screwed up SWG I said I would never give SOE another dime, and I haven't. The same thing can be said for BioWare and while you can play F2P 100% cost free, I wouldn't want to encourage them with my presence. After SWG I swore I would vote with my wallet from then on, and that's what I'll do with this one.

Luckily having SWTOR miss its potential didn't get me stirred up the way SWG did, of course I hadn't played it for 3 straight years either.

I'm glad you can find some enjoyment from it, but even the parts you find enjoyable aren't enjoyable for me anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by WarpedAcorn View Post
    When Act 2 kicks off (for the IA), a very interesting element is presented that will shape how you decide to proceed with your Agent and his relationship with Imperial Intelligence. That's when it got really good for me.

If you're more into the Trooper storyline, unfortunately you're in a minority. Its not a wrong opinion to have though. The stories are written differently enough that people can enjoy different ones more. From what I've read the Trooper storyline is the most popular among military guys, most likely because its more relatable or deals with situations they're familiar with. Nothing wrong there. =)
    I'm not a military guy but you got some funny choices as a trooper... like denying this Organa dude any kind of information though not everyone might find it funny saying "sorry sir this information is classified" for no better reason than to annoy the other guy. Playing the trooper story now for the second time and the same scene got me again... lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Armourboy View Post
    I had considered going back, but then I remember the main reason I left, once you've seen the quests on both sides you've seen 95% of what you are going to see on any class you play. I stopped and smelled the roses my first 3-4 times through, watching all the cut scenes, making different choices than I would have on previous toons, etc. It just got insanely dull for me because I knew the next new class was going to be basically the same thing with a twist here or there, not really enough to make me want to do it again.

Secondly when SOE screwed up SWG I said I would never give SOE another dime, and I haven't. The same thing can be said for BioWare and while you can play F2P 100% cost free, I wouldn't want to encourage them with my presence. After SWG I swore I would vote with my wallet from then on, and that's what I'll do with this one.

Luckily having SWTOR miss its potential didn't get me stirred up the way SWG did, of course I hadn't played it for 3 straight years either.

I'm glad you can find some enjoyment from it, but even the parts you find enjoyable aren't enjoyable for me anymore.
    The reasons I still have fun are a good friend that I can play with on each side, new chars etc. and new skill trees I previously didn't touch. So I'm leveling a Madness Sorc and an Advanced Prototyp/ Tactics Vanguard and I'm having fun running after healer which aren't getting away from me and while it's not the most popular DPS spec, I find myself enjoying it very much, harpoon just adding icing on the cake and I'm only mid 30's.

Quote Originally Posted by Psychlon View Post
    I'm not a military guy but you got some funny choices as a trooper... like denying this Organa dude any kind of information though not everyone might find it funny saying "sorry sir this information is classified" for no better reason than to annoy the other guy. Playing the trooper story now for the second time and the same scene got me again... lol.

The reasons I still have fun are a good friend that I can play with on each side, new chars etc. and new skill trees I previously didn't touch. So I'm leveling a Madness Sorc and an Advanced Prototyp/ Tactics Vanguard and I'm having fun running after healer which aren't getting away from me and while it's not the most popular DPS spec, I find myself enjoying it very much, harpoon just adding icing on the cake and I'm only mid 30's.
    I've been playing MMO's long enough that things like talent changes aren't going to be a reason for me to come to or stick with a game. My problem wasn't that the classes weren't fun, its that the content I was doing with those classes became very bland quickly for me.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Armourboy View Post
    I've been playing MMO's long enough that things like talent changes aren't going to be a reason for me to come to or stick with a game. My problem wasn't that the classes weren't fun, its that the content I was doing with those classes became very bland quickly for me.
    And that is completely understandable. I didn't burn myself out on other classes because I honestly felt like you did when I was playing before. I couldn't get an alt past level 30 because of the side quests. It felt like it was the most interesting and most boring leveling I had ever done...it was very weird. I can completely understand how someone that has played through both sides a few times would find the additional quests the opposite of fun, but I also feel like time keeps those things fresh.

Time away from the game is what really will let me enjoy it this time. Additionally, I'm playing at a snail's pace which is not my usual thing to do. As this game is taking a back seat to other games for me, I'll be lucky to get even an hour in one night. Last night I just logged in, did 2 quests and logged back out.

It's the same reason WoW is still fun to me after all these years, because I take time away from it. I just don't think I'm wired to be able to play something nonstop without a break anymore. F2P games are much easier to come and go from, so it's convenient. And like I said, I'm not thinking about doing anything end game with this character (I wouldn't be able to as a preferred player anyways) so its really just about the story.

Not a lot of people will play the game like that and that's ok.
    BAD WOLF

And that is completely understandable. I didn't burn myself out on other classes because I honestly felt like you did when I was playing before. I couldn't get an alt past level 30 because of the side quests. It felt like it was the most interesting and most boring leveling I had ever done...it was very weird. I can completely understand how someone that has played through both sides a few times would find the additional quests the opposite of fun, but I also feel like time keeps those things fresh.
    That's one reason to keep me subbed, I don't have to do any side quests. I will maybe chime in some planet quests if I haven't done them in a while, feel like it or am just completely underleveled for the next planet but pvp and flashpoints usually do the trick. That's also part of the reason why it was so hard for me to level an alt in EQ2 because you I was forced to do every quest as otherwise you would hit a brick wall at some point. The turning point came with their "Invite a Friend" system which would give a new account like 200% xp when grouped with an old account so I got a second account (while reducing my main account from premium to normal which would leave me with like 7 or 8 chars) and leveld up 3 characters on the second account by mentoring my max lvl down to the alt level and pretty much have him on follow while soloing heroic content etc. .

I think there should be a way to let you get additional xp for each max lvl character (as they did additional in EQ2) so with each max character it becomes easier to level up.

It may have helped that I had a 2 months break due to technical issues with my computer to come back and enjoy the game as much as when I started it though.

Quote Originally Posted by Psychlon View Post
    I think there should be a way to let you get additional xp for each max lvl character (as they did additional in EQ2) so with each max character it becomes easier to level up.
    Well I don't know if it counts at all, but what about unlocking the +XP legacy perks? They don't seem like they'd be too expensive if you had multiple max level characters.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well I don't know if it counts at all, but what about unlocking the +XP legacy perks? They don't seem like they'd be too expensive if you had multiple max level characters.
    They are very expensive when you are credit capped as a preferred and F2P player. Also, it would be nice if you could buy those one time for your whole account, but they are character only legacy perks.
    BAD WOLF

They are very expensive when you are credit capped as a preferred and F2P player. Also, it would be nice if you could buy those one time for your whole account, but they are character only legacy perks.
    I'm pretty sure all the prices are comfortably under the credit cap, but it would be so much nicer if they were account-wide (or maybe at least had that option?). Shuffling stuff to re-sell on a new alt so you can buy the unlocks is cumbersome at best.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm pretty sure all the prices are comfortably under the credit cap, but it would be so much nicer if they were account-wide (or maybe at least had that option?). Shuffling stuff to re-sell on a new alt so you can buy the unlocks is cumbersome at best.
    They are only comfortably under the credit cap if you already have characters leveled and running dailies, thus negating the entire point. I'd have to look to be sure, but I'm pretty sure to buy all the xp unlocks for just 1 line of content would take an entire preferred credit cap. Then you have to add in all the other content lines.

So it's not really comfortable in any way.
    BAD WOLF

Sorry I though that was the point though? That you'd have one or more characters to the cap making money less of an issue, and making it easier to raise additional characters? Like Psychlon said:

I'd make a bigger stink about how 300k credits isn't really that hard to make even for a fresh character, but I realize I'm kind of an obsessive nerd about making money in MMOs.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sorry I though that was the point though? That you'd have one or more characters to the cap making money less of an issue, and making it easier to raise additional characters? Like Psychlon said:
    No, that's not the point at all. He didn't say we wanted to be able to have multiple alts do dailies every day in order to buy unlocks with increasing amounts of gold and time. And your personal opinion of how easy it is to make gold doesn't matter as every character not subscribing is limited in both the amount of money they can have and how they can use the AH.

Really I shouldn't have taken you up on it as what he suggested isn't covered by the legacy system at all. To put it plainly, he wants a flat, increasing buff of xp gain based on how many characters you have leveled so that each one has less to do to reach cap. What we're discussing is completely irrelevant.
    BAD WOLF

Well ok, I still think it's kinda sorta similar though. :/

10+ Year Old Account
    Well ok, I still think it's kinda sorta similar though. :/
    That's fine if it accomplishes that for you, but it's definitely not what he wants. He doesn't want to pay a cost or have to dedicate more time doing potentially unwanted activities in order to make leveling better. He wants leveling to feed back into and reward itself. I can totally dig that...especially in a game that is so linear and stuffed with filler quests.

Being able to just play the stories would be very, very fun.
    BAD WOLF