Which makes me wonder, have they said anything about server transfers and how they'll work?

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Asmalya View Post
    Because it is NO FUN whatsoever standing around 1-2hrs looking for a group depending on the class you play. Don't get the wrong idea from a beta of a new game.
    Look at classic wow and you get the idea.
    It also is less punishing if your server dies slowly.

Make no mistake. Many people probably only have 1-3 hrs day to jump into a game as they have family, work, friends. Yes you could say they dont deserve to do dungeons then if they can't sacrifice 1hr into group search but then you are just as elitist as people are who insult others for their lack of performance in my book.

Time changes. That is what i said before. It is 2013. People expect a certain QoL from a mmo now. And yes Blizzard surely helped establishing those. Don't compare us who have the time to sit on this forum all day with what the casual player out there want. I am pretty pretty sure most of those 1hr a day gamers are more then happy about LfD tool.

This is still an mmo tho. No one. No one forces you to use the LfD. You can easily make friends on your server and get a friendlist to the maximum number allowed so you can make a dungeon group with friends any time you want. LfD tool doesn't stop you from that.
    Couldn't agree with you more here. Back in FFXI I sat in a town and spammed LFG for 4 hours before logging off with no tells at all. There was one time in EQ where I was guildless and leveling up, I sat in a zone for 6 hours and constantly had my LFG tag up and asking for groups. When I got one, my power supply literally started smoking and then my PC died. At that moment I was more pissed I lost my exp group than my computer =D

I don't have the time to do that anymore. I just want to get home from work, play a couple hours and that's it. I don't want my entire night to be spent sitting in town semi afk waiting for a group. It is wrong to say people don't deserve to do dungeons if they can't dedicate time to find a group. The only reason that's apparent to me is why no one ever talks in LFR/5mans in WoW is because they are so faceroll that you can literally ignore everything and zerg encounters down with enough gear. Toss in a mechanic that will instantly kill anyone that fails or something that falls upon the responsibility of the individual and I assure you, people will start talking strats.
    Last edited by obake1; 2013-07-02 at 12:51 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by sergel02 View Post
    Which makes me wonder, have they said anything about server transfers and how they'll work?
    Part of me hopes there is no server transferring, at least in the beginning. Let communities grow and work themselves out. After the game has had a few updates and such, maybe allow people to switch.

I really can't wait until phase 4, and hope it's not limited to weekends. These weeks are killer, haha.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sorrior View Post
    Why can't even ONE game not utilize them?
    Because party forming tools are a great idea? There are ways they can continue to evolve and become more social, but not having one is a step backwards at this point. I would probably quit if I had to do /shout spamming to find a group...I still have nightmares from trying to find a group in BC WoW as an Arms warrior.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylreick View Post
    Part of me hopes there is no server transferring, at least in the beginning.
    There's confirmation on the beta forums that LEGACY CHARACTERS have to be placed on a legacy server and can't transfer servers for 6 months. There is no mention of that 6 month wait period applied to new characters.

What kind of group system will FF14 use? From what I have seen in beta there arent any chat channels that people use to set up groups so I assume a LFD type system? Or is there another better way to form groups among strangers? I dont know anyone playing the game so obviously I cant just group up with friends.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dabrix32 View Post
    What kind of group system will FF14 use? From what I have seen in beta there arent any chat channels that people use to set up groups so I assume a LFD type system? Or is there another better way to form groups among strangers? I dont know anyone playing the game so obviously I cant just group up with friends.
    There's a duty finder which is like LFD in WoW. You can only queue for the class you currently are. So, if you have a 30 GLD and a 30 LNC if you are playing your LNC you can't queue as tank.

Outside of LFD people just use /shout for the region

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckwald View Post
    There's a duty finder which is like LFD in WoW. You can only queue for the class you currently are. So, if you have a 30 GLD and a 30 LNC if you are playing your LNC you can't queue as tank.

The Duty Finder is there. from what i heard. it will be available the next beta weekend, the last one of this phase.
    I love the game honestly, but time is very important today, 2013, i'm not a kid anymore, i cant imagine a game
    w/o a grouping tool.

Quote Originally Posted by Grevie View Post
    The Duty Finder is there. from what i heard. it will be available the next beta weekend, the last one of this phase.
    I love the game honestly, but time is very important today, 2013, i'm not a kid anymore, i cant imagine a game
    w/o a grouping tool.
    There is a longer testing session planned for beta phase 3 aswell.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Asmalya View Post
    Yep and if you played dps at best one with next to no CC then you know the problem.

Well I am sorry for you then. I had lots of people I talked to and did a lot of dungeons with friends before i quit wow before T15 hit. I met a lot of new people i added to my friendlist when i hit 90. I even found myself a new guild that suited my play style more.
    Ofc I didn't meet those people in LfD. LfD is not a socializing tool. Its a tool you use for one goal. Getting a dungeon done fast. That is what it is used for. If you want so socialize use /1 or /2.
    If it is impossible on your realm then fine. I understand thats shitty. But it is not like every realm out there is like that. I promise you, you will have more social and less social realms in every mmo with different server communities.
    I played a pally in vanilla.

Quote Originally Posted by Buckwald View Post

I wonder if that is true. Class roles seem a bit fluid in the game. I've heard of lancers tanking some of the first dungeons.

Quote Originally Posted by aikoyamamato View Post
    Because party forming tools are a great idea? There are ways they can continue to evolve and become more social, but not having one is a step backwards at this point. I would probably quit if I had to do /shout spamming to find a group...I still have nightmares from trying to find a group in BC WoW as an Arms warrior.
    I've heard horror stories of arms warriors back in the day. Like no one would take them because of low dps or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Lillpapps View Post
    There is a longer testing session planned for beta phase 3 aswell.
    There is? I heard rumors of it being a few days longer, but nothing confirmed.

Quote Originally Posted by lollermittens View Post
    2. Sliding Animation: I didn't even pay attention to this issue until people brought this up. Basically, the moment you lock-on a target and engage, your character unsheathes his sword/lance/staff, and instead of running towards the character, the entire character animation stays frozen and you just "glide" towards the locked-on target. It's one of those things that once you see, you cannot un-see. It's not detrimental to the gameplay per se but I can only imagine how weird it's going to feel in PvP when pin-point accuracy, movement, reflexes, and situational awareness are paramount. Same with end-game dungeons: I'm not looking forward to glide around the boss' back when he's casting AoE Firaga or something. Yoshi-P confirmed that they'll do their best to fix this before going live. But anything animation-related tends to require quite a lot of re-work. Let's just hope they can fix this before going live.
    This x9001. The animations/movement just feel so stiff and horrible to me. It feels like you have metal pole for a spine at times. I'm not sure exactly how to describe it, other than it just "doesn't feel right". Hopefully it gets addressed.

10+ Year Old Account
    I wonder if that is true. Class roles seem a bit fluid in the game. I've heard of lancers tanking some of the first dungeons.
    I hope it's not. I plan on leveling a few classes to about 30 before picking my main one. So, I hope I can queue with any class I want to do that dungeon as.

There is? I heard rumors of it being a few days longer, but nothing confirmed.
    Yes, the final test of phase 3 is going to be longer to test server stability for long periods of time. There is confirmation.

I hope it's not. I plan on leveling a few classes to about 30 before picking my main one. So, I hope I can queue with any class I want to do that dungeon as.
    I don't think leveling all classes to 30 then decide on main is a wise idea. You will run out of story and side quests. To each his own I suppose. Yoshi said there will be enough quests to probably level a few classes to 50, but after that your exp comes from fates, hunting logs, dungeons, and leves.

10+ Year Old Account
    I wonder if that is true. Class roles seem a bit fluid in the game. I've heard of lancers tanking some of the first dungeons. .
    More fluid than other games, sure, but there's still set roles. Marauder and Gladiator will be the only classes allowed to queue for a tanking role. The first 3 dungeons you experience are extremely easy and not just by some bloated elitist standard. You have to do them to progress in the storyline so they made it so just about any group can clear them. I've healed a group of 2 archers and a thaumaturge through it already with me tanking most of the time on my Conjurer. It wasn't rough, just a bit spammy.

But yeah, more to the point, every class has specific roles to follow and even if exceptions can be made (Such as a thaumaturge healing) they wont be able to queue for such exceptions so as not to give new players the wrong idea.

---------- Post added 2013-07-02 at 01:16 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Sacredelite View Post
    I don't think leveling all classes to 30 then decide on main is a wise idea. You will run out of story and side quests. To each his own I suppose. Yoshi said there will be enough quests to probably level a few classes to 50, but after that your exp comes from fates, hunting logs, dungeons, and leves.
    You're right about the quests running low after a few characters but quests actually aren't the fastest way to level, at least not by current standards, so running out of them wouldn't hinder the leveling process much, at least not after lv15ish. They're just the easiest and most reliable source of simple XP. Fast dungeon groups and controlled fate grinding will always be faster but may require more skill and coordination, which is why there's so many different options to level. My personal favorite (albeit one of the slowest routes) was the hunting log. I love this feature.
    Last edited by Luko; 2013-07-02 at 06:17 AM.
    Mountains rise in the distance stalwart as the stars, fading forever.
    Roads ever weaving, soul ever seeking the hunter's mark.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryngo Blackratchet View Post
    More fluid than other games, sure, but there's still set roles. Marauder and Gladiator will be the only classes allowed to queue for a tanking role. The first 3 dungeons you experience are extremely easy and not just by some bloated elitist standard. You have to do them to progress in the storyline so they made it so just about any group can clear them. I've healed a group of 2 archers and a thaumaturge through it already with me tanking most of the time on my Conjurer. It wasn't rough, just a bit spammy.

But yeah, more to the point, every class has specific roles to follow and even if exceptions can be made (Such as a thaumaturge healing) they wont be able to queue for such exceptions so as not to give new players the wrong idea.[COLOR="red"]
    Ahh well that would make sense. It is nice tho that once in a group, other folks can help out a bit, like a thaumaturge healing and other characters tanking.

Quote Originally Posted by Sil-Iris View Post
    What this means for the players who like community, is that we have to put our money where our mouths are, and ignore the dungeon finder or start conversations in groups. We must form a guild, commit to the guild, and try to play around the guild's time. If any of you are interested in an experiment like this, I vote we make it happen on Gilgamesh. Call the free company "Community" or something like that. (Realm/idea subject to discussion).

We can acknowledge the ideals we want in the forum here, then come release, act on it. Doesn't have to be extremist or anything, just a free company designed around ideals you think enhance the game.
    Yes, yes! Fantastic idea, in terms of game experiences and social experiences. I would love to get in on something like this.

I fall flat in the middle compared to most people discussing LFD/social activity. Despite playing most online games at a top top level, it's safe to say I was never/ am not very social outside of the box of people I end up playing with. On the other hand, within that box of people I am rather open and always socializing. It's quite different from the real world where I am always outgoing even in the most public of places. In fact, most people I have ever met that I would call good friends in games came from my ability to play and being invited to top guilds, rather than socializing. Socializing and some really great friends came afterwards. Another chunk of friends came from people that just knew who I was and would whisper me asking for advice on X boss or X class, and the conversation ended up going from advice to meaningless chit-chat. Pretty much aside from a select few in the earlier days, all friends I have online made the step to contact me, rather than me taking the first step.

I'd say my general reason for this is I am hesitant of the fact that there is no telling what person X in my group is thinking/ what their mindset is, because of the anonymity involved online. I dislike making anyone uncomfortable, and perhaps they are just having one of those days and are there simply to get done what needs to be done. So I usually am completely silent unless it has to do with helping someone. When someone else starts up a conversation though, I happily hop right in and it ends up being real nice and we have a good time - I just am never the one to feel comfortable starting it.

This goes hand-in-hand with WoW's version of LFG. I have a couple friends that I still talk to that I met long, long ago before that tool existed. We ended up having a good time in our group we formed, and thus became pretty great friends and continued doing dungeons together for quite some time. This doesn't really happen anymore, because the times I have had a good time with people, it ends up being short lived since we are simply on different servers and that's the end of it once the run is over.

In the end I have mixed feelings about the LFG system. It's a tool that helped out my "hardcore" style of play, but also took away one of the things I enjoyed in the earlier days. One of the neat things about making your own group, was you usually ended up doing multiple runs together if things went nicely.

Since I don't really have the 14hours per day to spend on hardcore games anymore, like I used to when raiding, it'd be nice to be a part of something more social, and get into being someone that starts up conversations and makes other peoples runs more enjoyable.

10+ Year Old Account
    Blah, I really wish my hipster mode didn't kick in with these overly-popular classes. Summoner has me very intrigued after the recent data mining and especially after playing so much with my chocobo companion this weekend. They really have the companion system down, and especially after learning that the summons aren't just going to be "Click it and forget it" mechanics like hunter pets, I'm very re-intrigued with the class, despite the proverbial bandwagon everyone seems to be on. I'm really not wild about the floating chess piece versions of the summons that you get, but the fact that it's a dot spreading aoe style caster DPS has me all kinds of giddy to try it.

Plus the fact that you're simultaneously leveling a free healer with it makes it extra appealing.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryngo Blackratchet View Post
    Blah, I really wish my hipster mode didn't kick in with these overly-popular classes. Summoner has me very intrigued after the recent data mining and especially after playing so much with my chocobo companion this weekend. They really have the companion system down, and especially after learning that the summons aren't just going to be "Click it and forget it" mechanics like hunter pets, I'm very re-intrigued with the class, despite the proverbial bandwagon everyone seems to be on. I'm really not wild about the floating chess piece versions of the summons that you get, but the fact that it's a dot spreading aoe style caster DPS has me all kinds of giddy to try it.

Plus the fact that you're simultaneously leveling a free healer with it makes it extra appealing.
    I've been hooked on going for the summoner ever since it was made known it would exist, which is very unfortunate since it won't be available until launch and we can start leveling characters in P4 beta. It will be extremely tough with my nature to restart at level 1 after already getting my current class to a high level, and end-game being only a bit away. I naturally am going to feel pressed to just finish leveling and then go back to the arcanist. I decided I will swap over though, the class just seems too cool. I guess I can at least get the benefit of getting the subclass to level 15, somethings better than nothing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Snow-Tiger View Post
    I've been hooked on going for the summoner ever since it was made known it would exist, which is very unfortunate since it won't be available until launch and we can start leveling characters in P4 beta. It will be extremely tough with my nature to restart at level 1 after already getting my current class to a high level, and end-game being only a bit away. I naturally am going to feel pressed to just finish leveling and then go back to the arcanist. I decided I will swap over though, the class just seems too cool. I guess I can at least get the benefit of getting the subclass to level 15, somethings better than nothing.
    On every "What class will be your main" or "Which class are you playing at launch?" poll, I see Summoner right up there on top, normally 2 or 3 times more than it's nearest poll competitors. I wish little stuff like that didn't bother me, but being "Sigh, another dime a dozen Xclass" is the quickest way for me to lose motivation to level something.

Anyway, when Yoshi first revealed that it was going to end up being a DoT class, I was both excited and worried. Excited because I love DoT based classes in MMOs, especially ones that can spread them (Miasma in SMN's case) but this usually leaves the pet with that forgettable extra damage effect, like older warlock pets.

Seems now that your avatar's abilities are going to come into play during your rotation, commanding your fire spirit to cast "Ember Slash**" for example as your nuke, rather than having nukes of your own, it's a good mix and makes the class much more interesting and involved. For now, I'm still sticking to the idea of getting BLM to cap first for my FC, but I'm actually going to get up and through my Grand Company quests with Arcanist first to get a feel for the class and evaluate SMN as a potential job switch for me. (They just need me on ranged caster DPS. Doesn't matter which I choose atm.)

** This ability doesn't exist, it's just something we made up earlier while spitballing some of the potential moves for the different spirits. All we know now is that we'll be using the spirits's abilities in our regular gameplay.