Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sydänyö View Post
    "Dealing with loss in a healthy way" is a load of unsubstantiated psycho babble. The healthiest way of dealing with things is to understand that the dead are dead, they no longer exist in any form, and making yourself mourn them on purpose is pointless. Whatever pain you have will come in it's due time, if it comes at all. And yes, even cave men might have buried their dead, but it's all rooted in superstition and religion.

The vast majority of people on this Earth believe in some hocus pocus god of one sort or another, so is it any wonder a hocus pocus rite such as burial is such an integral ceremony in the lives of people? Not really.
    Dude, drop the pretentious angry atheist shtick. It's old and tired. Grieving and it's process aren't "a load of unsubstantiated psycho babble" at all. Far from it. Any evidence you need is all around you. It is NOT about religion. Death is a universal constant. When we as humans experience loss of someone or something we have developed emotional attachment too, there is a natural response to that. If you cut your finger, your body responds to limit disease and initiate healing. The exact same process happens with mental wounds. We as societies have always given this process an opportunity to work, most fundamentally in the gathering of others around the bereaved and often with some type of reflection or recollection of what the dead meant to the living. Later we coupled this with a way of disposing of the corpse in a way that was safe and limited disease (burial, burning, or whatever) based on cultural mores. As religion developed, it was inevitable that it too would get wrapped up in such a fundamental human experience as dealing with death and mortality is.
    "Stop being a giant trolling asshole." - Boubouille
    "The Internet is built on complaints about asinine things" - prefect
    "Facts became discussable when critical thinking stopped being the focus of education."- Chonogo
    "Sometimes people confuse "We Don't Understand This Yet" with "Ooga Booga Space Magic" - Chazus

10+ Year Old Account
    Well it kinda depends, are you planning on replacing the dog? If so, it looks like your covered for the new dogs first few meals
    Quote Originally Posted by Gillern View Post
    "IM LOOKING AT A THING I DONT LIKE, I HAVE THE OPTION TO GO AWAY FROM IT BUT I WILL LOOK MORE AND COMPLAIN ABOUT THE THING I DONT LIKE BECAUSE I DONT LIKE IT, NO ONE IS FORCING ME TO SEARCH FOR THIS THING OR LOOK AT THIS THING OR REMAIN LOOKING AT THIS THING BUT I AM ANYWAY, ITS OFFENDS ME! ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME!!!"
    Troof

10+ Year Old Account
    "Dealing with loss in a healthy way" is a load of unsubstantiated psycho babble. The healthiest way of dealing with things is to understand that the dead are dead, they no longer exist in any form, and making yourself mourn them on purpose is pointless. Whatever pain you have will come in it's due time, if it comes at all. And yes, even cave men might have buried their dead, but it's all rooted in superstition and religion.

The vast majority of people on this Earth believe in some hocus pocus god of one sort or another, so is it any wonder a hocus pocus rite such as burial is such an integral ceremony in the lives of people? Not really.
    How do you know that? How do you know it wasn't because they noticed dead shit smells bad and attracts carnivores?

I am an atheist and have been since I was 12, I was raised fairly areligiously (we celebrated Hanukkah so I wouldn't lose out on gifts that the other kids got) so don't mistake it as fear of a wrathful spirit or respect for the spirit so they can watch their body be interred.

It's (for some) about emotion. Most people cannot just flip a switch in their brain that says, one morning, "This is my cat Jewel. She is purring on the sofa." and then that evening and one euthanisation later, "This is a lump of flesh and fur that was once my cat. It looks the same, only its eyes are closed and it's not breathing." No, it's still Jewel, only Jewel is dead. But, logically, it's NOT Jewel, right? Because what made Jewel herself is now gone.

Except you can't just make a sever to your emotional connection like that. It's very difficult to just disconnect like that instantly. Nigh impossible, even, because of how much emotion you're feeling at the moment that your friend passes, and for some time afterwards.

That's why (some) people bury and cremate. Separating logic and emotion in a hypothetical is extremely easy, but once it comes to the nitty gritty and you have your dead friend in your arms, it's a different story.
    Pokemon FC: 5112-3501-2407 Trainer: Oli FS: Viscoe - Farfetch'd/Hoothoot/Rufflet - Currently Full, DO NOT ADD
    Secondary 3DS: 3668-8923-2263 FS: Slider - Phanpy/Camerupt/Diggersby

The Lightbringer
    15+ Year Old Account
    call a local vet, laws are different for every country/state

either that or cast Sacrifice, there's a 35% chance to resurrect a brand new Zombie Dog

10+ Year Old Account
    Damn. Someone just lost their dog and people are making crude jokes. I hate Internet culture. Anyway, just call a vet, animal shelter, or animal hospital. They probably know of a crematorium near by or will handle it for you if you drop the body off.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Urti View Post
    When we as humans experience loss of someone or something we have developed emotional attachment too, there is a natural response to that.
    I'm not saying having a natural emotional response to the loss of a loved one is psycho babble. I'm saying holding forced ceremonies and burial rites to "deal with loss in a healthy way" is a load of garbage.

Someone dies. You cry. You move on. End of story.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm not saying having a natural emotional response to the loss of a loved one is psycho babble. I'm saying holding forced ceremonies and burial rites to "deal with loss in a healthy way" is a load of garbage.

Someone dies. You cry. You move on. End of story.
    Jesus. How hard is this to understand. You get the process. Some people choose to express that "cry/move on" stage in ways that are culturally important to them, and personally relevant. This is called funerary practice. Just because you choose to do it in a different style and/or time frame than them doesn't make anyone superior or inferior.
    "Stop being a giant trolling asshole." - Boubouille
    "The Internet is built on complaints about asinine things" - prefect
    "Facts became discussable when critical thinking stopped being the focus of education."- Chonogo
    "Sometimes people confuse "We Don't Understand This Yet" with "Ooga Booga Space Magic" - Chazus

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by pacox View Post
    a crematorium
    Your avatar wants a word with you.....

Humanity lol going down the toilet glad ill eventually die so i don't have to live thru it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Paraclef View Post
    Your avatar wants a word with you.....
    Wait did I say something wrong? Around here animals are cremated. Some people bury their pets in their yard or on private land, theyjust iisn't enough room to bury every dead animal.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeleh View Post
    A good casserole?

Infracted
    Honestly, try to bring a bit of levity to a sad situation and get slapped down. These forums.

Deleted
    Find old indian cemetery, bury the dog there and tell you GF the dog is coming back tomorrow..

You could bury it in your backyard. I don't see it being awkward at all, even if you live in the city. Assuming you have your own little area, why not?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Frenegade42 View Post
    Lay him down in the garage so that when your girlfriend comes home she will just assume she ran him over when she drove in. This saves your neck over the whole leaving the gate open thing. Also, you won't have to be stuck with the problem of disposal alone. Finally, the dogs death will remain useful leverage during your relationship (honey, remember that time you run over and killed our dog?).

You're welcome.
    I know this is a serious thread but...

hahahahahahahahahhaa

Quote Originally Posted by Hogmanlolz View Post
    So my dog was hit by a truck and died and idk what to do with it. I live in the city area so it'll be awkward to bury it in my backyard. I looked on google it doesn't give me a freaking answer and all the vets are closed for the night and animal control is closed as well.

So what do I do with a dead dog body for the night? It creeps me out and saddens me looking at it just laying there all broken. One major thing is I haven't told my girlfriend yet, and I will be yelled at for not locking the gate properly. So yes it's my fault. But anyway what the hell do I do with it till morning?
    When our cat died (it was 21 years old I was 10) we burried him in a woodsy area.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Bergtau View Post
    I like how people feel informed enough on burial that they feel that they can make broad claims about how it's rooted in superstition, etc.

Maybe people started burying their dead because they noticed dead things attracted unwanted pests and dangerous animals?
    Hence sky burial.

10+ Year Old Account
    Where I live most people just dump their dead dogs off in the woods so the animals can eat them. If you have some woods nearby do that.
    Last edited by Puck; 2013-09-27 at 02:16 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Puck View Post
    Where I live most people just dump their dead dogs off in the woods so the animals can eat them. If you have some woods nearby do that.
    As someone who used to live next to the woods, do you guys at least make sure its not near someones house. Nothing like being 7 coming out to 1,000 vultures in your yard.

Jesus some scary suggestions in here, hopefully that's just trolling.

Real answer: talk to your local vet or ASPCA (I guess, dunno if they're the same in the US). There's basically cremation or pet cemetaries I think.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Doesn't every city have at least one 24-hour animal hospital?

You could feasibly bring your pet in to be cremated no matter the hour.

This is quite simple to me. Get a shovel and bury him in the yard.