Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    I lost this game the same turn. That mage got Sorcerer Apprientice and direct dmg from hand: Frostbolt + Frostbolt + Ice lance + Fireball for just 7 mana

gg

Quote Originally Posted by KBWarriors View Post
    The design and artwork for the game is top notch. Blizzard never disappoints in that respect and they always go all out. I love their art team for all that they do.

However, to make it a long story short: Hearthstone is one of the most frustrating games I have ever played. I got through the Tutorial easy enough, the usage and priorities of the cards seemed self explanatory.

Then, when you get up to playing random people, that's where you realize what this game is all about...

#1 - 100% RNG
    #2 - How much money you're willing to throw at packs. Being a card game, I'm pretty sure Blizzard knew that. Hell, their projections for "profit" off of this game alone are astounding considering how much they've made during Beta.

I never had a close call match, you either wiped the board with them or got your ass handed to you without having a chance to fight back. The level of RNG in this game is absolutely utterly stupid. 0% RNG isn't ideal, but they went way overboard with it in this one.

I get less and less excited every time something with the Blizzard title comes along now days...

I had the same experience. It is a fucked up game. Imho it just shows that blizzard has NO FUCKING clue about PvP either in WoW or a card game. Totally unbalanced. I do not know what their market is... I am assuming 12-15 yr old boys that have no friends and need to vent some anger. Totally frustrating game. I would only recommend it to my worst enemy.

Conceal (the rogue card that gives all minions for stealth for 1 turn) is giving proper stealth to taunt minions.

Ie, the rogue is completely unattackable.

Got 1 shot by a Questing Adventurer that sat in stealth, whilst the opponent continually stealths his taunt minion so I couldn't kill either.

Quote Originally Posted by Faint^ View Post
    I think the most infuriating thing about the game is playing people who build decks and play the style of someone else who is smarter then them. They search online for the best decks and how to use them, Follow it to a tee and then brag themselves up as good.
    Welcome to every TCG ever. TCG magazines used to publish deck lists and everything before internet access was a super common household thing. Same exact principal applies.

Currently playing Borderlands 1 remaster. Amped for Borderlands 3.
    Add me on the PSN for jolly-cooperation @ PuppetShoJustice

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Anzen View Post
    Conceal (the rogue card that gives all minions for stealth for 1 turn) is giving proper stealth to taunt minions.

Got 1 shot by a Questing Adventurer that sat in stealth, whilst the opponent continually stealths his taunt minion so I couldn't kill either.
    That has to be a bug though. Blizzard has stated that Stealth overrides taunt meaning the Taunt is not valid when a minion is stealthed.

Quote Originally Posted by Deldavala View Post
    That has to be a bug though. Blizzard has stated that Stealth overrides taunt meaning the Taunt is not valid when a minion is stealthed.
    Exactly my thoughts, I assume because it's a temporary stealth, the "you can attack a stealthed minion if it has taunt" rule doesn't apply.

He even did the old "sorry about that" emote when I tried to attack it.

Not a fun game, ending turns with lots of minions on the board just sucks, especially when someone has a 15/15 you can't attack.

10+ Year Old Account
    While I agree that this game is a very-very dumbed down version of MtG with too much RNG and too little skill, I don't get why some of you guys are so angry or frustrated over the lost matches. It is a game after all. Why be angry at the game for its mechanics? If you lose, it is not like you just lost your house, right? I don't know, when one day I had 7-3 in the Arena and the next day 0-3 due to a deck with no removals whatsoever, I wasn't pissed off or frustrated, I kind of expected it from the game by that time.

You guys need to cheer up and take it easy. No matter what game you play, you WILL lose, and sometimes you WILL stupidly lose, so just accept it and move on. Don't be mad, be glad!

It's not really 'dumbed down', it's just still in its infancy. MtG has decades of seasons now with new cards and more complex mechanics introduced each time. Hearthstone may for all we know, get more complex with future card additions/expansions.

Quote Originally Posted by Boogums View Post
    If two players have the exact same deck and the exact same level of skill, luck will decide the victor.
    If two players have the exact same deck and the exact same level of luck, skill will decide the victor.
    If two players have the exact same luck and the exact same level of skill, the deck will decide the victor.
    This is what TCGs are. If you don't like it, that's fine. They're not for everyone. Don't blame Blizzard and lambaste future Blizzard titles because you don't like TCGs.
    If you don't mind, I'm making this entire post my signature.

I had something similar happen to me at the start of the previous season. The guy played a Questing Adventurer and then put stealth on it, and it remained stealthed for the entire game. I tried AoE it down at the start but it grew in strength faster than I could damage it. In the end I had almost half a dozen cards saved on my hand to deal with it as soon as it popped out (silences, direct damage, Mind Control, removals). Every time he played a minion, I cleared it. Slowly but steadily I brought him down, until the point where he had lethal on the board and there was nothing I could do to prevent it.

Only had one such game, it was a definite emotional rollercoaster. Good times.

Quote Originally Posted by May90 View Post
    While I agree that this game is a very-very dumbed down version of MtG with too much RNG and too little skill,
    Yea. Rng-stabilizing adjustment to prevent land-screw or land flood is, apparently "Dumbing down", but just making Mana-Clash-like cards actually viable is adding RNG.

Your statement is like saying HS is the more polished version of MtG, which is also not true, because, guess what, it is just a different game.

Checkers are dumbed down chess lol, I'm tellin' ya. No skill a t all.

Quote Originally Posted by Thisson View Post
    This is not how all TCG games work. Some of them have things like restricted lists and banned lists that level the playing field. Some of them require advanced understanding of game mechanics in order to eke out wins. Some of them require knowledge of probability.
    Banned lists and restricted lists are in effect for cards that are so stupidly overpowered and CANNOT BE ADJUSTED. I'd like you to note the caps there: A card game that is PRINTED CANNOT make changes immediately. An online card game can.

As for game mechanics, what are you referring to exactly? Storm? Cycle? What exactly? If you're also comparing MTG which has been out for 20 years to the less than 1 year that HS is out than you're just as bad as everyone else. These "Advanced" features will not be out for a LONG time.

There is no "probability" that exists in any other game that doesn't exist in this game. Cards X Y Z will appears multiple times in a game with more cards. Simple as that.

Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    It's cute when you guys get offended about people calling HS a "simplified" game when that's the very intent of the design. It's designed to be a fast, simple, style of game without too many factors to think about or interact with.

Your mistake is in thinking that it's some sort of insult.
    Oh, a mindreader. How cute. I didn't say anything about me "being offended", I pointed out the inconsistency and made an example of two visually close games with one of them having significantly thinner rule set, yet being completely different, not "a dumbed down version".

Also, you think "dumbed down" and "simplified" are exact synonyms with the same usus? That's one original personal vocabulary you have.

P.S. Scrolls with its 2d battlefield and idols are actually closer to Magic than Hearthstone in terms of gameplay, despite the latter one looking a lot like MtGO or old single player MtG games. Hearthstone is so fucking different in its very core, it is not even funny to read these visual-based mindless comparisons.
    Last edited by Mithfin; 2014-02-20 at 05:09 PM.

Exactly my thoughts, I assume because it's a temporary stealth, the "you can attack a stealthed minion if it has taunt" rule doesn't apply.

He even did the old "sorry about that" emote when I tried to attack it.

Not a fun game, ending turns with lots of minions on the board just sucks, especially when someone has a 15/15 you can't attack.
    But you can attack his face stealth overrides taunt meaning you can attack his face now yes if he is buffing a QA that is stealthed not much you can do about it without AOE or RNG attacks like Rag, Avenging Wrath, or Mad Bomber

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nekovivie View Post
    It's not really 'dumbed down', it's just still in its infancy. MtG has decades of seasons now with new cards and more complex mechanics introduced each time. Hearthstone may for all we know, get more complex with future card additions/expansions.
    What prevented Blizzard from introducing complex cards right away? Let it be a small number of cards, say, 500 totally, but let them all be truly unique and interesting. But they instead developed absolutely equal cards, without any unique abilities. Just take a look: Kobold Geomancer - 2/1, +1 Spell Damage; Dalaran Mage - 1/3, +1 Spell Damage; Ogre Mage - 4/4, +1 Spell Damage; Archmage - 7/4, +1 Spell Damage. 4 similar cards just with different stats. Now, there is also Azure Drake, Ancient Mage, Thalnos and Malygos with slight variations, but they also have all the same +1 Spell Damage.

You know, the fact that they have <500 cards is justified by the game even having not been released yet. But the fact that there are sets of 4+ cards with the same specs and just different minion stats is not justified by anything other than trying to make such a dumbed down card game that even 3 y/o could be able to play it. This is what differs Blizzard games from many other games: their games can be played by nearly anyone, regardless of sex, age, profession, intellectual abilities and so on. I do not like this approach; I believe that, trying to satisfy everyone, you satisfy no one. And, while some people will certainly love this game, there is also many players who like to play intellectual games, where you actually have to think during the process, rather than repeat the same strategy in every game. And, for us, this game is not what we are looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by Mithfin View Post
    Checkers are dumbed down chess lol, I'm tellin' ya. No skill a t all.
    Yes, Checkers are less deep than Chess. This is one of the reasons that everyone knows who Kasparov or Anand is, but few people know anyone from Checkers high league. It doesn't mean "no skill", but it means "less skill". You would be better off if you filled your statement with objective examples, rather than with sarcasm and disrespect to others.

Also, you think "dumbed down" and "simplified" are exact synonyms with the same usus? That's one original personal vocabulary you have.
    They actually are. Again, instead of using sarcasm, you would better read the definition of "to dumb down". It is the best expressed by word "to simplify".
    Last edited by May90; 2014-02-20 at 06:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by May90 View Post
    They actually are. Again, instead of using sarcasm, you would better read the definition of "to dumb down". It is the best expressed by word "to simplify".
    http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/simplify
    http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/dumb_down
    Maybe you should follow your own advices before giving them and judge others based on them? Usus IS different, you don't use "dumbed down" in neutral constructions, as it has judging and negative connotations - you use it either to show your disapproval of simplification, or to express that simplification was overdone or even was completely unnecessary, while "simplified" just states the fact.

Yes, Checkers are less deep than Chess.
    They have less rules. That is it. Both games are unsolved, both have countless amounts of strategies and deep debut theory. Popularity have nothing to do with it. In fact, based on the hearthstone explosion of popularity, checkers should be much more popular than chess, if your logic would be correct.
    Last edited by Mithfin; 2014-02-20 at 07:36 PM.

I agree with you OP.

One day i decide to play 1 game of hearthstone, i was versing a warrior. He drops a 2 mana legendary unit, ok no big deal (but, keep in mind he has a FULL hand all the time, assuming he is trolling me). Then another turn comes by he puts down another legendary (5 mana), ok i am getting kinda pissed now. Then he drops the DREAM DRAGON, then i was really about to rage quit, but i decided to man up and keep trying. Then he drops ragnaros the firelord, so at this point "OK, I AM GOING TO WIN!!! HAHA" (sarcasm), then when my health pool got low his final card was grommash hellscream golden card, drops an inner rage on him and just finishes me off.

At this point. i thought this game is completely fair (HAHA, not) so overall legendaries are kinda required.

Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post

Actually, no. Checkers is solved. It is many orders of magnitude simpler in this regard than Chess.
    Ok, my mistake. Still, if for some reason you think this is important, we could use Go in comparison instead of checkers. Ruleset of Go is simpler, yet it is much more deep game and is actually harder to solve than chess. Satisfied?

10+ Year Old Account
    http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/simplify
    http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/dumb_down
    Maybe you should follow your own advices before giving them and judge others based on them?
    OK, let's see here:
    "(idiomatic, intransitive) To become simpler in expression or content; to become unacceptably simplistic."
    This is exactly what "simplify" means. And this is exactly what, IMO, happened to Hearthstone. So, yeah, Blizzard makes simpler games than their analogues (don't argue with me here, it's their words), or, in other words, it makes dumbed down versions of analogues. It is not good or bad, it just is. Which is acceptable for such games as WoW or Diablo as they are not competitive. Dumbed down competitive games, however, is a tricky subject. I think that the more watered down competitive games we have, the less people will conserve the ability to actually think outside the box and the more people will grow lazy and make automatic decision, without putting any effort.

Ok, my mistake. Still, if for some reason you think this is important, we could use Go in comparison instead of checkers. Ruleset of Go is simpler, yet it is much more deep game and is actually harder to solve than chess. Satisfied?
    Ruleset has nothing to do with complexity/simplicity. Complexity is much better described in terms of the number of different positions happening in games. I haven't made the calculations, but I believe that Go and Chess are close in this regard: both games have nearly infinite amount of positions that can happen. Checkers are much simpler in this regard, there is a very limited number of moves that do not cost you the game instantly. I don't even know if people actually play it competitively today: I don't think there is much to learn before you can become the best player in the world - like in tic tac toe, just takes more time, but, eventually, you get to the peak performance. I may be wrong though since I really don't know much about competitive scene of this game.

Now, to compare Hearthstone with, say, MtG in this regard. In MtG, almost every card has a few unique and complex effects. Let's even ignore the number of MtG cards there is. Let's just take a number of 400 random cards (or whatever the number of Hearthstone cards is) and compare them to Hearthstone ones. Most of the Hearthstone ones will be either simply creatures with no effects or with one of a few "common" effects: Taunt, Spell Damage, Stealth, etc. There is very few truly unique cards with interesting effects - mostly Legendaries. So, in terms of diversity of gameplay, in terms of number of effectively different situations happening in the game, Hearthstone is a VERY-VERY-VERY-VERY-VERY watered down version of MtG. Which is good for casual players but bad for those who really want to become a great player and take this game seriously or even professionally.

Magic also has the benefit of being a PHYSICAL CARD GAME....

You don't end up with a 1000 prompts of "Do you wanna play X card" or the game glitching up and you don't get a CHANCE to play X card you can just say "hey wait a minute I counter that spell" or "in response I play this"

I would like to see some alternate win conditions though....not asking for Exodia or something but would be kinda cool