Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by UncleSilas View Post
    You are now on a register.

Good day, citizen.
    I have been on one since the mid 90s, I am not worried about it.

It would be interesting to know how many people know what the oldest US Intelligence group still in existence is, and how old it is.
    Last edited by Kellhound; 2014-06-25 at 07:17 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinykong View Post
    If you walk reeeaaaaallllly slowly, you can defeat a motion sensor and steal Ben Kingsley's secrets!
    You actually can beat motion sensors like that.

Partying in Valhalla
    15+ Year Old Account
    You actually can beat motion sensors like that.
    Generally you'd want to block them really slowly so that you can move not-really-slowly.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by oxymoronic View Post
    NSA doesnt care about scotus and their silly ruling more like - as if any of this means anything
    NSA certainly does care about a SCOTUS ruling, since if it made their surveillance illegal, people caught would be put in prison.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    NSA certainly does care about a SCOTUS ruling, since if it made their surveillance illegal, people caught would be put in prison.
    The implication being the might be caught, when we all know they won't be.

Snowden has more charges than anyone at the NSA for christ's sake :P

10+ Year Old Account
    The implication being the might be caught, when we all know they won't be.

Snowden has more charges than anyone at the NSA for christ's sake :P
    They do get caught when people start paying attention, and people would be paying attention. They'd also be running the risk of a new Snowden appearing - one that would have the law on his side this time. I don't know about you, but if I worked at the NSA, I wouldn't want to do something I knew could get me thrown in prison if discovered, even 20 years later.

Deleted
    They do get caught when people start paying attention, and people would be paying attention. They'd also be running the risk of a new Snowden appearing - one that would have the law on his side this time. I don't know about you, but if I worked at the NSA, I wouldn't want to do something I knew could get me thrown in prison if discovered, even 20 years later.
    The US intelligence agencies would implode without their illegal activities.

They'll spot the more insanely over the top stuff for now, and cover their tracks better. Once it settles down it'll be back to business.

Cynical, but we both know it's the truth, or as close as we can get.

10+ Year Old Account
    The US intelligence agencies would implode without their illegal activities.

They'll spot the more insanely over the top stuff for now, and cover their tracks better. Once it settles down it'll be back to business.

Cynical, but we both know it's the truth, or as close as we can get.
    Nah, I think it's cynical nonsense. I'm not saying they wouldn't break the law at some point, or look for a different loophole, but I'd like the ability to throw offenders we catch (and we would catch some) in prison.

15+ Year Old Account
    that´s only one part of private information, but it´s a start i guess, good for you americans
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    that´s only one part of private information, but it´s a start i guess, good for you americans
    Yeah. Keep in mind that even if the SCOTUS finds it illegal for the NSA to spy on Americans without warrants, it won't stop us from spying on citizens of other countries. Of course, that's to be expected.

And frankly I don't care if Germany is spying on my stuff. They don't have jurisdiction over me.

10+ Year Old Account
    "The government is turning into 1984, big brother is watching you!"

Judicial review is working as intended, for all those who are convinced the US is becoming a fascist state.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

15+ Year Old Account
    Yeah. Keep in mind that even if the SCOTUS finds it illegal for the NSA to spy on Americans without warrants, it won't stop us from spying on citizens of other countries. Of course, that's to be expected.

And frankly I don't care if Germany is spying on my stuff. They don't have jurisdiction over me.
    of course, spy away, not that the nsa has the means to comprehend the data anyway
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

Excuse me while I find a way to remove my face from my palm as the liberals express shock over conservative justices agreeing with this and ignore the fact that the Obama administration was the driving force behind the attempt to justify this at all: http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...hone-searches/

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Adhemar View Post
    Excuse me while I find a way to remove my face from my palm as the liberals express shock over conservative justices agreeing with this and ignore the fact that the Obama administration was the driving force behind the attempt to justify this at all: http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...hone-searches/
    You know a lot of us liberals are fully aware that Obama's administration is authoritarian and likes to spy on people and we don't like it. Being a liberal doesn't mean we agree with everything Obama does.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellhound View Post
    I have been on one since the mid 90s, I am not worried about it.

It would be interesting to know how many people know what the oldest US Intelligence group still in existence is, and how old it is.
    At a guess, Office of Naval Intelligence. (Unless you're going to go with 'the Marines' at which point they win - they always win, because yes, there were Marines before there was a United States. )
    "In today’s America, conservatives who actually want to conserve are as rare as liberals who actually want to liberate. The once-significant language of an earlier era has had the meaning sucked right out of it, the better to serve as camouflage for a kleptocratic feeding frenzy in which both establishment parties participate with equal abandon" (Taking a break from the criminal, incompetent liars at the NSA, to bring you the above political observation, from The Archdruid Report.)

Bam, to all those who say electronic data is fundamentally different.
    Let's be clear, none of those people actually believe what they're peddling, it's just an excuse to get to the conclusion that they want with regard to surveillance.

- - - Updated - - -

Seems naive to me. In practice, the NSA just blatantly ignores the Constitution, goes about its business, and nothing happens. The only potential ways for that to really change are defunding or violence.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    Let's be clear, none of those people actually believe what they're peddling, it's just an excuse to get to the conclusion that they want with regard to surveillance.
    I genuinely don't believe in a reasonable expectation of privacy on the internet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ringpriest View Post
    At a guess, Office of Naval Intelligence. (Unless you're going to go with 'the Marines' at which point they win - they always win, because yes, there were Marines before there was a United States. )
    Correct, ONI it is. However, the Army and Navy are older the the Marines, and in the beginning the Marines really were part of the Navy (which is where they belong, they have lost their way in modern times).

You know a lot of us liberals are fully aware that Obama's administration is authoritarian and likes to spy on people and we don't like it. Being a liberal doesn't mean we agree with everything Obama does.
    I didn't claim it did, or imply likewise (though I apologize if you felt unfairly identified). But anyone who expected any vote on this issue other than the actual result is wholly ignorant of the Supreme Court (especially regarding Thomas and Scalia [e.g., Kylio]). If you don't know anything about Scalia or Thomas, you probably shouldn't just make assumptions and tell everyone how "shocked" you are when they turn out wrong. That was the intended thrust of my comment, and I probably could have been more specific.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    I genuinely don't believe in a reasonable expectation of privacy on the internet.
    I would emphatically disagree. Privacy is both possible and reasonable to expect on the Internet.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Adhemar View Post
    boy are americans deep in the black and white thinking

if you vote democrat you have to agree with everything they do! period!