Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Shadowmourne.

Not just some RNG drop, and actually took work AND looked amazing + the surrounding lore and extra rewards from the chest.

I'm hoping to one day finish it on my paladin and DK.

I have the glaives on my warrior, but tbf when they dropped I just thought "Eh...wrong toon, drop for my rogue!".

Number 1 would be Warglaives without a doubt. Took 6 years of constant BT to get both. Longest grind ever.
    Eventually them leading to be one of my sole reasons to keep on playing.

Second would be not in the list Black Qiraji Resonating Crystal, whilst i personally don't own it, the amount of work (nearly a realm wide effort) it took to get it makes it rightful to be in the 2nd place. And the fact that it's very rare and combined with a title. It's not much to look at, but definately legendary.

3rd would be a tie Atiesh or Sulfuras. Very hard to decide. Both tied to such major lore artifacts. Shadowmourne a little less since it's not exactly Frostmourne.
    Atiesh currently is obviously more rare now days and in the day required a bit more work for it, but Sulfuras is still the hammer of fricking Ragnaros, even though the epic version doesn't do justice to it.

From a lore POV: Atiesh, with Warglaives close behind.
    From game POV: I'll say Fangs of the father because i'm rogue and the quests and lore was amazing, but the same can be said for Dragonwrath or Shadowmourne.

Shadowmourne or Azzinoth

From a lore perspective there is a tie for the 2 more powerful legendaries, Atiesh, and Ashbringer.

Ashbringer, a weapon created from the physical manifestation of the light itself, so powerful it would turn armies of undeads into ashes, so powerful that i was the only weapon able to break Frostmourne. So powerful that they choose to not give to a player! Initialy was gonna be put in the game, but they changed minds as we all know, because it truly was seriously OP. Even on it's corrupted form is a weapon of legend.

Atiesh, the great staff of the guardian, the seed of destruction, inside of this weapon resides some of the power of sargeras itself. Do i have to say more? To re-ensamble this weapon you needed to use another legendary to defeat the avatar of sargeras. For those that didn't know, the last quest had you to fight a powerful demon, the hand of sargeras, that resided inside the top of the staff, to do so, you had to use a weapon he weilded, Andonisus, reaper of souls, a 1 hand sword that was so sick, the weapon was so powerful that it was banishing out of our plane of existence (http://www.wowhead.com/item=22736)

Then i'd say Thunderfury and Sulfuras hold the next places, so close that is hard to say which would be 2nd and who 3rd. They both are the weapons of 2 gran elemental lords. Sulfuras is the weapon of Ragnaros, the very master of the fire elementals, not much more to say about it. Thunderfury is the weapon of the prince of the winds, the son of the Air Lord, Al'akir. The prince, Thunderan was once defeated by Ragnaros, who tried to absorve his essence to empower himself, but the prince of wind was not something he could fully take, what remained from him was sealed in a magical prision, that was then Split and given to two of the most powerful liutenants of Ragnaros. To obtain this weapon you had to re-create the blade with elementium, open the re-ensambled prison, and then defeat him to awaken Thunderfury.

4th place goes to Warglaives of Azzinoth, the powerful weapons of Illidan. This weapons once were near to defeat Arthas, to be honest, the weapons aren't all that powerful, they were the weapons of a Doom Guard Commander that Illdian killed ten thousand years ago, the took them and trained to use them, they became legend thanks to the skill of his new master, or perhaps, they were meant for each other. But whatever the reazon was, the weapon, or the weilder, the warglaives became legendary, and so many wanted to put their hands on them.

5th place goes to Shadowmourne, this weapon, forged for the only objective to bring down the lich King, are the amalgam of some notorius components. The base is the hammer of the prince Arthas, the Light's Justice, the edges were made of primordial saronite, the solidified blood of the old god, Yogg Saron. The ice surrounding the axe are the fragments that were left after Arthas broke the iceberg were the body of the lich King was imprisioned. Kill'jaeden created this ice prision with ice from the twisting nether, it was powerful enough to keep the lich King traped for an eternity. It was feed with the souls of the minions of the lich King.

6th place goes to Tarecgosa. Even tho, this staff was born from some sort of accident... While indeed it's creation was important to aid in the defeat of Deathwing and his minnions, the fact that the soul of Tarecgosa ended up living inside the staff, was not planned. It all started cause Ragnaros stoled a branch of Nordrassil, cause he wanted to burn the legendary world tree. After recovering the branch. and empowered the same with the essences of the guardians of the firelands, Tarecgosa ended up giving her life to save Kalecgos, Kalecgos was able to bind her essence to you, to later on transfer that essence into the staff. Her voice does still reaches you if you weild the staff (this is literal, you hear her voice every now and then if you wield the staff, she says things like "your deeds will live forever, in the memory of the blue dragonflight" or "i am with you always"

7th place goes to the legendary Daggers. Cool story behind them, the last child of the great aspect of the earth, the last uncorrupted black dragon, commands you to create this daggers to defeat the crazed aspect of the earth. The daggers have some power of the black dragonflight, and the old gods.

8th place comes Valanyr, the hammer of the ancient kings. An artifact of the titans, forgoten in Ulduar, broken to pieces and spreaded in between the most powerful inhabitants of the titan citadel. To reforge this ancient artifact, you need the aid of an Old God, he needs to eat it, so when you slay him, the hammer can be reborn, and the power of the titans re-awaken.

9th place finaly comes Thori'dal, the Star's Fury, a legendary bow, found in the sunwell... Many people aren't aware of the lore behind this... magnificient piece of... hunter loot... so i'd like to trow some light on this. Kil'jaeden, one of the most powerful demons of the burning legion, liutenant of Sargeras itself was trying to enter our world using the power of the re-build sunwell. However we were able to stop him to coming tru, with the aid of Kalecgos of the blue dragonflight. At the end, the power of the sunwell turned against KJ and sent him back from where he came. After the fight, the blood knights, the new protectors of the new sunwell were cleaning the place, and one of the janitors found something in the bottom of the well, and it ran to inform Lady whatsherpants of the success: "My lady, we have found something in the sunwell, aparently was left behind when that demon was flushed away..."-he said... "and what is that you found?"... "we have found a bow my lady"... "what bow? why... oh no... let me guess..."... "Yes my lady, it's Bob's bow..."... "that stupid ranger Bob... i've had enough of him... i've swear i'm gonna fire him today"... "But my lady, the bow... now it glows with the strenght of the Sunwell... it no longer requires arrows, it creates it's own"... "Now, that's interesting, bring it to me!"... a few seconds back the janitor was back with a pale face. "My lady... it's... it's gone... aparently someone in that group of héroes that took down the demon took it, and is already gone... " She turned her eyes to the janitor and after a moment said : "Whatever, in a few patches no bow will need arrows anyway, send someone to inform Bob that he needs to buy a new bow, again."

Seriously, the signature of a legendary is the proc that has. Each one has a very unique proc, or at least very powerful for the moment it was created. Thori'dal dosen't have a proc, it's signature was that didn't need arrows, It was already weak back then... cause the dmg of the hunter weapon was the bow PLUS the arrows. and you could get realy powerful arrows, like those from the scales of the sand reputation. So having no proc, and it's dmg being not that far from the dmg of another bow from Sunwell Plateau plus the best arrows avaliable made it's only advantage that you had room for 1 more bag to carry stuff... So this weapon had no lore, no proc and now dosnt even have advantage cause bows no longer needs arrows... They could make it into a purple ítem instead, that way players could at least use it for xmog... or add a proc... tho that would be pointless cause noone cares about a weapon of lvl 70 unless is for a nice look in their xmog set...

Well i hope someone agrees with my list. i may do later a list from the game's utility pov.

Atiesh, Greatstaff of the Guardian is the most legendary, legendary.

Also worth noting that this was a build-a-legendary style, not a rng drop. Most people seem to think it was a new thing in wrath, but Atiesh was the first to use this method.
    Last edited by TheTaurenOrc; 2014-08-25 at 04:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dawon View Post
    Inb4 ppl scream that u missed the naxx40 staff!

Oh and Thunderfury is my no1 without any contest. Our MT used it well into TBC raiding... No2 is Sulfuras, simply coz a shammy in WSG would wipe my whole team with that and windfury without even trying, crazy OP weapon. No3 goes to the glavies, they look fugly but damn they were nice.. too bad we got like 328957 mainhands and not a SINGLE offhand during the whole expansion!
    Im with this guy.....thunderfury was usable well into TBC raiding because of the proc and the way threat worked back then. Hands down in my opinion the most beastly of legendaries hands down.
    Cheese. Its amazing. Until your feet smell like it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by turboether View Post
    Thori'dal and Val'anyr are tied for the most legendary legendary because they are brought up so little their existence has become akin to legend.
    That's why hardly anyone has Atiesh from naxx40 and nobody else will be getting it. Atiesh is by far the rarest legendary. Imo the coolest one tied with thunderfury at that.

10+ Year Old Account
    In terms of lore-related power Shadowmourne is the most powerful legendary available to players, with only a blessed blade like the Ashbringer being more powerful.
    Shadowmourne consumes the souls of the dead and infuses the wielder with immense unholy power. If Warcraft 4 ever comes out I wholly expect Shadowmourne to be an in-game item with some lore about how its previous wielder was killed or driven mad. Every other weapon is just a straight up weapon developed for a singular purpose with no real benefit for the user, other than perhaps Dragonwrath. Even weapons like the Warglaives of Azzinoth aren't special at all - they just belonged to someone else. Sulfuras itself is probably one of many, and Val'anyr probably has several other copies out there given its Titan origin. Even Gorehowl is getting bumped up to Legendary status in WoD even though it will be the weakest of all Legendaries in terms of lore. There is only ONE Shadowmourne and it can never be replicated again.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dotcha View Post
    Atiesh, Greatstaff of the Guardian is the most legendary, legendary.

Also worth noting that this was a build-a-legendary style, not a rng drop. Most people seem to think it was a new thing in wrath, but Atiesh was the first to use this method.
    Eh, both Sulfuras and Thunderfury were "build a legendaries". It wasn't premiered with Atiesh.

10+ Year Old Account
    Glaives and Thoridal are welfare legendaries....

AAHHAHAAH. So now 'welfare' means 'raid drop'???

Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    Glaives and Thoridal are welfare legendaries....

AAHHAHAAH. So now 'welfare' means 'raid drop'???
    I think it means "the thing I don't like", so it's identical to "hipster" now.

15+ Year Old Account
    Thunderfury without any doubt i got it in vanilla and i felt awesome haha standing in Ironforge getting whispers from many people how i got it and how they can get it,we finished MC and went on and clear BWL but we went back every week eventho most people didnt need anything from MC till Garr finaly dropped his fecking bracer (funny enough close after mine we went back again for someone else and he dropped it like 2 weeks after mine did) it took so long but damm was that weapon powerfull it helped a lot in AQ40 and Naxx while taking big packs and even in the burning crusde it was still very effective tho i replaced it with Mallet of the tide in SSC and the brutalizer in black temple but from time to time i still used Thunderfury in Hyjal and Black temple.

As far as a real legendary by lore i would say Atiesh.
    Last edited by Vestig3; 2014-08-25 at 05:34 PM.
    - Vanilla was legitimately bad; we just didn't know any better at the time - SirCowDog

Quote Originally Posted by Adudu View Post
    Eh, both Sulfuras and Thunderfury were "build a legendaries". It wasn't premiered with Atiesh.
    2 pieces and 1 piece vs collect 40 of pieces is a lot different. Thunderfury and Sulfuras were still tiny rng drops.

Atiesh was the first legendary that rewarded consistent effort not just luck.
    Last edited by TheTaurenOrc; 2014-08-25 at 05:38 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Thunderfury and Sulfuras were still tiny rng drops.
    The only reason why you didnt see many players with atiesh is because it was in the last tier of vanilla if naxx was released around the same time of MC/BWL then you would see as many people with atiesh as people that had thunderfury which is by far the worse drop rate of all the legendary items ive experienced... and still from MC>Naxx there where only like 5/6 thunderfury's on the whole server.
    - Vanilla was legitimately bad; we just didn't know any better at the time - SirCowDog

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Archangel Tyrael View Post
    Oh my, this just reminded me of playing my 3's cleave with my warrior with Shadowmourne and heroic Deathbringer's Will...

how glorious....
    I used to eat warriors like you alive with my heroic geared arcane mage and elemental shaman bastard comp
    Last edited by mmocb78b025c1c; 2014-08-25 at 05:41 PM.

Deleted
    You also forgot Talisman of Binding shard, http://www.wowhead.com/item=17782/ta...-binding-shard

Probably quite useful in AQ with all the juicy resistance.

Deleted
    2 pieces and 1 piece vs collect 40 of pieces is a lot different. Thunderfury and Sulfuras were still tiny rng drops.

Atiesh was the first legendary that rewarded consistent effort not just luck.
    Sulfuras was two pieces? I guess the elementium raid drops didn't count? Sulfuras had you learn the recipe for then build the freaking sulfuron hammer first, which to this day still requires a significant effort. They both took arguably more effort than Atiesh to build on a personal level, even if many of their drops weren't orange in color.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ioVulture View Post
    You also forgot Talisman of Binding shard, http://www.wowhead.com/item=17782/ta...-binding-shard

Probably quite useful in AQ with all the juicy resistance.
    That was never meant to drop though and afaik only two were dropped before they were removed from the loot tables.

To me personally, anything before WotLK was more legendary in my eyees. Val'anyr and Shadowmourne were pretty tits though, however it set the standard on a much more streamlined legendary through raiding. I used to like Sulfuras and Thunderfury a lot more, but than I see the remade version of Sulfuras and I have seen both of the originals more than I ever used too.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kahmal View Post
    In terms of looks, lore, and even how much power it gave you at the time how do you rank the legendary items? Kael'thas items and such don't count.

Warglaives of Azzinoth - among the most dramatically awesome looking weapons, I mean they were the blades that Illidan had the audacity of brandishing in front of you and yelling "You Are not Prepared"......"well I got your weapons bra guess I came pretty stacked" They did wonders for the gearcheck against Brutallus in the Sunwell.

Thunderfury - still the largest one hander in the game, it was an item so powerful that it still had it's uses at level 70. Having to kill the Prince Thunderaan made it feel special, if there was more lore behind it though it would be my number one due to it's power, but Illidian is Illidian sorry.

Val'anyr - not to familar with the background of this one but it get's points for being a healing legendary. It also did wonders for Heroic guilds to be able to shield their allies. I'm not sure however if this Legendary ever became a victim of the high item inflation of the ICC epics.

Dragonwrath, Taragosa's Rest - Let me first say I'm being bias since I was around much for Cata to properly judge their legendary's, perhaps they should be higher. The quest chain for this was awesome, you see Malygos become to new Aspect of Magic, the capital city filled with blue dragons with a silloute of Taragosa, and transformed you into a freakin dragon. I also heard that it made casters become extremely powerful. Looked amazing also.

Fangs of the Father - probably should be higher since their created from parts of Deathwing I believe. I have no idea how strong they made you, but I know they gave you batwings like awesome!

Sulfurnas Hand of Ragnaros - Not to sure just how much more powerful this item made you, but the name is just so awesome to me and back then Ragnaros was just such a badass having his weapon was just so awesome.

Shadowmourne - The one legendary I actually acquired during Wrath, to be honest though I always found the model underwhelming, while it's design reflecting Frostmourne was cool, the axe itself just seemed far too small, almost like a hachet. Those purple swirlies you got though made you look so freakin pimp though. It's power spike though I don't think was as dramatic as other legendarys.

Legendary Cloaks - well since everyone and their mother seems to have this it kind of makes it less awesome, however seeing the Celestials appear behind you is sweet. The power spike is quite incredible also.

Thori'dal Stars of Fury - by far the worst imo, absolutely no lore behind it, just a legendary the final boss of the expansion drops therefore it ruins the purpose of the powerspike you receive. Also have no idea how much stronger it made you.
    Atiesh, Greatstaff of the Guardian. It's so legendary you don't even have it on your list. I don't know about fictional power in terms of lore, but it's certainly the rarest of the bunch.
    Rudimentary creatures of blood and flesh. You touch my mind, fumbling in ignorance, incapable of understanding.
    You exist because we allow it, and you will end because we demand it.

Sovereign
    Mass Effect