Page 1 of 19
... LastLast

Is suicide ever justified?

Do you ever think that people who commit suicide sometimes would be better off dead than alive?

Like if they couldn't hack life they should be not judged for ending it even though it may be seen as cowardly?

What do you think?

Deleted
    Their lives their choices.

some people live with too much pain, mental and/or physical. its best not to judge someone when you arnt in their shoes. also, jumping on a grenade to save your squad is suicide. do you judge a solider for giving his life? people own their own lives and can do with their lives as they wish. do things sometimes get better if you can wait out the pain? sure, it might; it also might not.

Thinking of suicide as cowardly is moronic to start with. No one in their right state of mind (barring incredible chronic physical pain/progressive disability/illness, but I'd argue that that has an impact on their state of mind) willingly chooses to end their life. Suicidal people should be pitied and helped, not berated.
    “It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more... than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so fucking what.”

It's selfish to care more about your own feelings tbh.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

Nobody can be better off dead since they would no longer "be".
    i7-4770k - GTX 780 Ti - 16GB DDR3 Ripjaws - (2) HyperX 120s / Vertex 3 120
    ASRock Extreme3 - Sennheiser Momentums - Xonar DG - EVGA Supernova 650G - Corsair H80i

build pics

Quote Originally Posted by AeneasBK View Post
    It's selfish to care more about your own feelings tbh.

I don't think so. A partner that has to deal with the suicide of their spouse and the aftermath with the kids is well very hard to go through.

10+ Year Old Account
    The better question is "Is preventing someone from ending their own life ever justified?"
    Absolute freedom absolutely.

Quote Originally Posted by chewie49 View Post
    some people live with too much pain, mental and/or physical. its best not to judge someone when you arnt in their shoes. also, jumping on a grenade to save your squad is suicide. do you judge a solider for giving his life? people own their own lives and can do with their lives as they wish. do things sometimes get better if you can wait out the pain? sure, it might; it also might not.
    I don't think it's right to compare suicide with joining the army and protecting people.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by noralya View Post
    Thinking of suicide as cowardly is moronic to start with. No one in their right state of mind (barring incredible chronic physical pain/progressive disability/illness, but I'd argue that that has an impact on their state of mind) willingly chooses to end their life. Suicidal people should be pitied and helped, not berated.
    Well I agree they need help.

Still doesn't change what they did especially if other people are left to deal with the mess (not talking about the actual body but the aftermath)

The greatest justification for suicide is pain. Not just physical pain or pain that will subside given a relatively short amount of time, but any ongoing physical/emotional pain that has no relief.

There's a difference between truly living and just being alive. Ultimately survival is insufficient.

I believe that the quality of our lives must exceed a certain threshold so that we are “living” and not just “surviving.” From an outsider’s point of view my own life might not seem like it has a high quality but when I take a step back and look at the bigger picture, I can’t say I am just surviving. For all the quirks my own personal situation has, I can honestly still say I am living. Sadly not everyone can say that for themselves.

If someone finds themselves in an inescapable situation of constant pain and every day is filled with what amounts to physical or emotional torture then that person is perfectly justified in ending their own life in my opinion. No one should be forced to exist in a state of perpetual unending misery.

10+ Year Old Account
    They can do whatever they want with their lives. If that involves ending it, go nuts.

15+ Year Old Account
    Outside ORG sending your children down the mines.
    Quote Originally Posted by noralya View Post
    They need to help themselves before anything else happens. Change comes from within, so I have to disagree with you. One can still pity them and still think it's cowardly.

Suicide may be cowardly, but living without sufficient coping mechanisms is fucking stupid. You're damned one way or the other
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

I'd say suicide is always the choice of the person. Thats their choice and I believe if they want to, who are we to judge someone else's life? However, I feel a lot of suicides shouldnt happen and we should try to prevent as many as possible.

Short answer.
    Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Mehman View Post
    They can do whatever they want with their lives. If that involves ending it, go nuts.
    Are you trying to be edgy?

Go nuts? Really? That's insensitive.

Some people think that suicide is the end-stage of mental sickness much like organ failure is the end-stage of sepsis

10+ Year Old Account
    If you've lost everything, I don't see why not.

10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка
    I once had a brain tumour which caused me terrible pain before they found it. I don't think anybody wants to life with such pain, so if you're living with that kind of pain and they can't cure it, what is so wrong about suicide?

15+ Year Old Account
    I think it's up to every individual person to decide what is worth living with and what isn't.
    As an extreme example you could ask yourself how long you'd want to live with ALS, it's going to kill you anyway, how long do you want to live with it before it's too much? Whether it is ALS or something different most people have a threshold where life is no longer worth it to them, whether it causes them too much suffering mentally or physically I absolutely think suicide can be justified.

We should always try to help people, not everyone who wants to die should but there are certainly cases where it's the humane thing to do if it is what they want.

There's this lady in the news who suffered from some extremely painful and eventually lethal disease. Oregon has assisted suicide and her and her husband moved there. Last I heard she's decided to wait a bit longer before she takes her life.

I'm fine with that kind of thing. If I get Alzheimers I've told friends and family that I'll go the assisted suicide route. I don't want to wear my underwear on the outside of my clothes or forget who everyone is.

But if you're just depressed at the moment, can't get a job, your girl left you, then no, don't commit suicide. At the very least to come to such an important and final decision you should wait at least two to three weeks to think it over. And if you're depressed, depression can give anyone thoughts of suicide, that's what depression does so wait for the depression to lift, maybe even go to the doctor and get some of the new anti-depressants.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland