Page 1 of 26
... LastLast

Making Adult Couples Sleep Separately When Visiting Family

So I really never have thought of this issue. I see it now and then on television and just saw this in a commercial where a mid 20s to 30 year old boyfriend was made to sleep downstairs. I did some looking around online and found forums of mothers who were very much for this.

I do not understand it one bit. In one case two people were 25 living together, but when they visited the mothers house they were to sleep separate.

Their house their rules. If you don't like it get a hotel.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Uko View Post
    This. I see nothing wrong with it, honestly. I see nothing FOR it though, either. It's just one of those things, their house, their rules.

Back when I was engaged, and we'd come home to visit, my mom had no issues with us sleeping together, although we never had sex out of respect for the house.. "You're both grown adults, I'd imagine you sleep together when you aren't here, why would I separate you?" The response I got when I asked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    If your girlfriend is a girl and you're a guy, your kid is destined to be some sort of half girl/half guy abomination.

15+ Year Old Account
    I get that they don't want them to have sex in their house, but I feel like that is making it even more awkward.

Out of respect for the owners of their household.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lansworthy
    Deathwing will come and go RAWR RAWR IM A DWAGON
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtyCasual View Post
    There's no point in saying this, even if you slap them upside down and inside out with the truth, the tin foil hat brigade will continue to believe the opposite.

10+ Year Old Account
    That's pretty weird.

The Lightbringer theostrichsays's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    In my douche canoe crossing the Delaware.
    I remember before he died my uncle was in his 40's a CSM in the Army. He came back home to see my grandma with his gf.
    Grandma promptly but his arse on the couch... mommas house.... mommas rules.
    Quote Originally Posted by Axelhander View Post
    Thank you for mansplaining how opinions work.
    Also you're wrong, the people who agree with you are wrong, and you're probably ugly.
    Ever been so angry at everyone on the internet you tell a woman she is mansplaining?

This is the thing:

the attitude isn't their house their rules:

It's "their house their rules, you're never an adult in my eyes."

And they wonder why I won't let them see their grandkids.

Silly parents.

Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    I did some looking around online and found forums of mothers who were very much for this.
    You probably entered the largest echo chamber known to humans.

But yeah, it just seems like a weird thing overall, even weirder when it's like the parents asked for them to stay at their house. Why offer the space if you're just going to be like "Well, only if you do this!"? If you don't like the idea of them sleeping together, don't offer.

10+ Year Old Account
    Their house, I'm a guest.
    I sleep in a different place than my wife most of the time anyways (bedroom gets super hot and I can't sleep warm)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaerys View Post
    Gaze upon the field in which I grow my fucks, and see that it is barren.

Quote Originally Posted by Cerus View Post
    Out of respect for the owners of their household.
    This I also don't get, when growing up when we had guest, they were guest. There weren't held to odd rules for the sake of it being our house. My attitude tends to be you take care of the people in your house, not impose on them.
    Last edited by Themius; 2014-12-06 at 01:49 AM.

Ehh when I was sixteen my mom happily let my boyfriend shack up with me in my room for four years, up until we moved out. So no experience with being forced apart, but knowing how gross I always found it as a kid when I was kicked out of my room when married relatives were staying over, I don't blame anybody for not wanting others having sex in their house and on their things.
    "Just because you read it on the internet, doesn't mean the person actually said it." - Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    You probably entered the largest echo chamber known to humans.

But yeah, it just seems like a weird thing overall, even weirder when it's like the parents asked for them to stay at their house. Why offer the space if you're just going to be like "Well, only if you do this!"? If you don't like the idea of them sleeping together, don't offer.
    There were a few daughters who posted saying that they just don't visit their mother or declined the invite because they were making her sleep separate from her fiance

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    It's "their house their rules, you're never an adult in my eyes."
    Just saw this. It's pretty sheisty if they act like that, but it's still their house.
    (should have a talk with them though, seems to be something else going on)

Id probably never visit my relative if this was ever forced on us. If the issue is about us having sex and it was my parents, id straight out ask them how many time did they have sex when we were kids sleeping in the same house.. probably many otherwise i wouldnt have so many brother and sisters lol.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've never been forced to sleep separate from my boyfriend, though if I was asked to, I'd do it out of respect, but be kind of offended. Do you honestly think I'm disrespectful enough to fuck in your guest bed? That's terrible. (both the act of fucking in someone else's bed, and also that they'd think we would.) :T
    Pokemon FC: 5112-3501-2407 Trainer: Oli FS: Viscoe - Farfetch'd/Hoothoot/Rufflet - Currently Full, DO NOT ADD
    Secondary 3DS: 3668-8923-2263 FS: Slider - Phanpy/Camerupt/Diggersby

You need to understand what 'conservative' is. A lot of older people and people with religious backgrounds think having pre-marital sex is bad. Having two adults in one bed is, in their minds, setting up a situation where those two adults are able to have relations. So, separating them eliminates that. They consider certain things to be offensive and inappropriate. My girlfriend and I are soulmates, 6 and a half years. But, her parents don't appreciate how we sleep in the same bed because they are arrogant and narrowminded racist, homophobic redneck Christians. Well, light-christians. 6 day sinners, 1 day saints. They do not like homosexuals, nonwhites or premarital sex. We do it regardless, but they don't like it. It's conservative as hell but you need to also remember that if it's their house, then the people visiting have to deal with it. It might be insane and an outmoded mindset, but it's their house. Nobody is going to come into my house and tell me they're going to do something I said they can't within my walls.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ouch View Post
    Id probably never visit my relative if this was ever forced on us. If the issue is about us having sex and it was my parents, id straight out ask them how many time did they have sex when we were kids sleeping in the same house.. probably many otherwise i wouldnt have so many brother and sisters lol.
    Don't ask if you're not ready for that answer :P

10+ Year Old Account
    you worried about me fucking on the bed

what you need to be worried about is your bathroom and kitchen counter