Page 1 of 16
... LastLast

GamesCon xpac reveal due to low subscriber numbers

Don't assume that Blizzard is wanting to reveal the next expansion because they want to release it early...

Their subscription numbers are likely TERRIBLY low at the moment, and they need to build hype. For them, hype = subscriptions and monies. I'm just assuming, anyway...

What do y'all think? Seems kinda odd they don't want to wait another quarterly to reveal at Blizzcon, if only to build hype.

& To go along with the movie
    EDIT: Nope. It was definitely because of the 5.6 million subscribers.
    Last edited by TheramoreIsTheBomb; 2015-08-04 at 10:34 PM.
    "You know you that bitch when you cause all this conversation."

[Citation needed]

We'll need to wait till the next quarter call to see if this is why
    RETH

10+ Year Old Account
    Stop
    Relating
    Everything
    To
    Meaningless
    Numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by Feali View Post
    Stop
    Relating
    Everything
    To
    Meaningless
    Numbers.
    After 5 years being here, it's gotten so God damn boring.

People care more about numbers than whether or not the game they apparently give a shit about is getting "fixed"/improved.

Always easy to weed out who actually gives a shit vs. who's looking for a reaction.

And OP is definitely just looking for a reaction.
    Quote Originally Posted by Princess Kenny View Post
    Avocado is a tropical fruit , south seas expansion confirmed.

I posted this earlier:

Quote Originally Posted by Paula Deen View Post
    Announce Expansion with a small trailer, maybe a few details now: Subscriber Numbers go up.
    More Expansion Information at Blizzcon: Subscriber Numbers go up again.
    Another bonus to Announcing now and showing more at Blizzcon: More Blizzcon Ticket (Virtual) Sales to see all the new things.

Blizzcon is during Quarter 4, Gamescom is Quarter 3. I hate to sound like a pessimist tinfoiler, but I honestly think that is why they are doing it. Not because it is ready, not because Alpha or Beta is starting at Blizzcon, but just because they want more money.

Blizzard did not make this announcement decision in the last few months.
    To have the expansion ready enough to announce this early, they probably made the decision early this year. When subs were high.

So, no.
    Help control the population. Have your blood elf spayed or neutered.

Quarterly report is on the 4th of August.

Gamescom begins on the 5th of August.

No doubt, they announced that they're giving an announcement to start generating hype.

They'll probably try to diffuse any low numbers by saying that in the end of July their numbers jumped back up.

also, inb4 they delay the Quarterly Report until after Gamescom.

Quote Originally Posted by BrerBear View Post
    Blizzard did not make this announcement decision in the last few months.
    To have the expansion ready enough to announce this early, they probably made the decision early this year. When subs were high.

So, no.
    During last year's Blizzcon, during one of interviews they said they started on WoD about a month before Blizzcon.

So, no. They could just as easily have just now started development.
    The post that Blizzard banned me for:
    2014-11-28 19:55:26 [Trade - City] Potassiumgluconate: female dwarf butts are the best thing that this expansion has given us.
    Butts are a touchy subject.

It's a timing thing. They normally release a year after announcing it. They are trying to cut that down. But even if they cut it down to 8 months, that would still make it a year away, if they wait until Blizzcon.

Obviously, the expansion is further along than that. They are ready to show us stuff. And that is good! Don't try to turn it into a bad thing.

wow haters care more about the sub numbers than activision

10+ Year Old Account
    I think it's less due to low numbers and more to get the hype train rolling to prevent Q3 and Q4 from being a total horror show. This way they can start the hype train, reignite it just as it starts to wind down in November, release in Q1 as the hype train dies down again, and the movie lands just in time for the post-release hype to start winding down.
    Be seeing you guys on Bloodsail Buccaneers NA!

10+ Year Old Account
    you don't know anything about marketing and numbers so shut up
    ...Le Poète est semblable au prince des nuées
    Qui hante la tempête e se rit de l'archer;
    Exilé sul le sol au milieu des huées,
    Ses ailes de géant l'empêchent de marcher.

Charles Baudelaire

they announce it at gamescom, as it is bigger than blizzcon and because of them wanting to release xpacs faster. if the xpac would be announced at blizzcon, we would be waiting 18 months or more for content. with a gamescom announcement, i can see the beta starting after blizzcon which makes the product ready in april-june 2016. OR they totally fool us and also start the beta at/after gamescom. this way we could have a jan/feb 2016 release. man can dream ^^

But I do and it was clear for over a year. You can't decide "subs are dropping, we will release something that takes about one year of developement next month" or nonsense like that. The quicker expansion was long planned and announced and they follow their plan the way said said. Want prove?

Read this:

http://www.pcgamesn.com/world-warcra...rs-worth-stuff

and this:

http://www.icy-veins.com/forums/topi...h-tom-chilton/

and finally that:

https://youtu.be/6mydjaH_HIE?t=243

Some important quotes if you don't feel like reading the links:

"The reality is that scaling up the number of people that we have, to work on multiple projects at once has slowed us down. Honestly, it should have not come as a surprise to us. We increased the size of the team by 50% and the majority of those people had never worked on World of Warcraft before or any other MMO, so it is really difficult for them to create content right away, without getting up to speed. "

" I think we are in a better position now for the future, we already have zones in production for our next expansion. So, if things go well, there will be less of a gap."

""Each raid content patch needs at least 4 months to breath"

"It is very possible that if we are successful and there is a shorter gap, then we won't necessarily want to have multiple raid tier content patches"

"Johan Trasch: So maybe only two Raid-Tiers and a new Expansion after one, one and a half year?
    Tom Chilton: "Yep, In theorie. In practice this could look different"

That was when they gained 3 million subs with the release of WoD!
    Atoms are liars, they make up everything!

Quote Originally Posted by ceall View Post
    they announce it at gamescom, as it is bigger than blizzcon and because of them wanting to release xpacs faster. if the xpac would be announced at blizzcon, we would be waiting 18 months or more for content. with a gamescom announcement, i can see the beta starting after blizzcon which makes the product ready in april-june 2016. OR they totally fool us and also start the beta at/after gamescom. this way we could have a jan/feb 2016 release. man can dream ^^
    well, if we really want to get crazy, they have all those stations set up for gamescon. and iirc beta servers just came back up...people can log on at gamescon and start checking out beta right then and there? I don't expect that at all, but would be a trip...

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Activity numbers peaked when 6.2 came out and are already back in freefall.

I'm inclined to agree.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

Subscribernumbers won´t go up because of an announcement, so this thread is pointless. Someone who is bored bei WoD won´t come back because of a teaser.

Quote Originally Posted by Endom View Post
    I'm just assuming, anyway...
    Mmhmm. So what are we doing here?
    “Nostalgia was like a disease, one that crept in and stole the colour from the world and the time you lived in. Made for bitter people. Dangerous people, when they wanted back what never was.” -- Steven Erikson, The Crippled God

Quote Originally Posted by XDurionX View Post
    Subscribernumbers won´t go up because of an announcement, so this thread is pointless. Someone who is bored bei WoD won´t come back because of a teaser.
    The numbers went up when WoD was announced.

inc recording breaking profits and ATVI goes all time high, then hopefully these threads will die for the final time.

No who am I kidding, these posts are gonna be posted every other week.