Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Keyboard Turner
    7+ Year Old Account

Fire Mage no longer a thing?

First: My ilvl is 878.

Last night I was looking to do some mythic+ before reset. I applied to some groups and was promptly declined. Thought to myself, okay, not a big deal. Lets try again. Applied to a bunch more and was declined by them all. I have never had this hard a time when trying to get into a mythic dungeon. I had one person ask me what spec I was. I told him Fire, and was immediately declined.

This got me wondering...

Are fire mages no longer a thing?
    Is it time I changed my main spec for arcane or frost?
    Should I reroll all together?

Deleted
    your ilvl is too low thats problably why

What m+ level were you looking for? I am 886 max ilvl and still get declined for 10+
    You think you do, but you don't ©
    Rogues are fine ©
    We're pretty happy with rogues ©
    Haste will fix it ©

My bag ilevel is 889 and I usually only get declined if the group is nearly full on high M+. If I join in when there is only 1-2 people I usually get accepted.

Kind of weird if Fire was having any issues considering how great our aoe is. The only specs that consistently give me a run for my money are Havoc DHs and MM Hunters.

Most mages I've ran into has been fire mages, there may be more frost and arcane mages come next patch but I doubt fire will be so horrible that people won't play it. Especially if they choose a spec because of the playstyle and not necessarily because of the its performance.
    Last edited by Donald Hellscream; 2017-01-03 at 05:52 PM.

u dont want two mages is the main problem i think. and 878 ilvl in the tool for a firemage is really low at current environment, if it would be 878 eqipped with right stats and like 890 in tool, this would be state of the art (but not too hardcore).

Keyboard Turner
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by D3athsting View Post
    What m+ level were you looking for? I am 886 max ilvl and still get declined for 10+
    It was only a +5. I've ran higher without any problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Holofernes View Post
    878 ilvl in the tool for a firemage is really low at current environment, if it would be 878 eqipped with right stats and like 890 in tool, this would be state of the art (but not too hardcore).
    Really? I thought 878 ilvl was really good. Guess that shows how much of a casual I am.

How am I supposed to get a higher ilevel if I can't get into higher level mythics?

Nothing is wrong with fire mages, the problem is everyone rolled FotM mages so when you attempt to join a group there is more often then not another mage.

Quote Originally Posted by iAmove View Post

How am I supposed to get a higher ilevel if I can't get into higher level mythics?
    That's the thing - you don't. That was the reason I stopped playing WoW since few weeks because of the never ending circle where I am not getting any invites for higher mythic+ and doing +4 praying to get titan-warforged godlike item is not for me.

Sorry for being negative but I was in the same situation and ended up quiting the game. But if you like never ending grind u can still get some small upgraded from low keystones and look for a guild alteast that was what people told me to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Averos View Post
    That's the thing - you don't. That was the reason I stopped playing WoW since few weeks because of the never ending circle where I am not getting any invites for higher mythic+ and doing +4 praying to get titan-warforged godlike item is not for me.

Sorry for being negative but I was in the same situation and ended up quiting the game. But if you like never ending grind u can still get some small upgraded from low keystones and look for a guild alteast that was what people told me to do.
    Its the one downside to this system Blizzard has created, granted its not totally on them as the players themselves are just as guilty and in some ways are more guilty. There is no way for people randomly to determine how good you are, all they have to go on is your class and ilevel, unless they take the time to look you up and dig through achievements, and even then it's no guarantee with how easy it is to find groups for raids, and there is always carry groups in mythic+.

Keyboard Turner
    7+ Year Old Account
    So basically what I am getting from this is fire mages are fine, there's just a shit load of mages and/or elitists out there.

i also find that M+ sometimes do not like mages cuz there aoe. on certain mobs like raging i cleave so much it isnt the greatest class to have. ive not had issue gettin into grps though as a mage even with 2 in a grp. i have ring so i like having another mage or luster in grp.

Every random mage I ever invited for M+ was a complete failure, so I'm not inviting them anymore. Maybe others experienced the same

Here's a bunch of reasons:
    1. There's an excess of DPS looking for groups. Your ilevel might be fine for the content but if you have the choice between somebody who will most likely do fine and somebody who will most likely do great (890+), who would you choose?
    (A lot of players rerolled to fire mages when they were deemed "OP". This is somewhat relevant for the following points.)
    2. You typically don't want to stack mages. The lack of an AoE stun, low cooldown interrupt and good target swapping makes multiple fire mages (as well as a combination with some other casters) sub-optimal in many cases.
    3. Most players suck at cooldown management. Fire relies on good cooldown management to pull off consistent numbers. Subsequently, many players will have had bad experiences with fire mages in particular and rather take other classes that are more straight forward for lower keys (e.g. melees).
    4. Players have started noticing that some other specs (*cough* elemental *cough*) are also great in Mythic+ so mages no longer get a free pass purely based on the perception of being the only strong range DPS alongside hunters.

10+ Year Old Account
    They probably already had a fire mage or demo warlock or were following certain team composition where fire mage doesn't fit

- - - Updated - - -

It was only a +5. I've ran higher without any problem.
    Oh wow that's changes everything. You can run +5 literally on anything so them declining you is just them being assholes who want to be carried
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Dictionary
    Russians are a nation inhabiting territory of Russia an ex-USSR countries. Russians enjoy drinking vodka and listening to the bears playing button-accordions. Russians are open- and warm- hearted. They are ready to share their last prianik (russian sweet cookie) with guests, in case lasts encounter that somewhere. Though, it's almost unreal, 'cos russians usually hide their stuff well.

Deleted
    My mage is 890 and gets insta invite nearly everytime i que for random groups 4-7. My DK is 876 and gets insta decline as dps for these levels.

Most of the time when i join a group there are already 2 ppl(likely friends), around 850 or less that fight ti reach 200k dps. Truth is, sub lvl 7 keys are usually people looking for boost, and there are plenty of people higher ilvl than you boosting these groups for the AP.

If you're struggling to get into groups, you could always create your own.

885 (in tool) fire mage here. I don't have problems finding a group at all. Ususally it takes 2-3 applications when i queue alone.

I have seen my fair share of really bad fire mages though. If i create my own group i usually don't take them because they are medicore at best. Talking only about player skill ofc. Fire mages are able to put out fantastic numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by Diggster View Post
    If you're struggling to get into groups, you could always create your own.
    And what about the key?
    You think you do, but you don't ©
    Rogues are fine ©
    We're pretty happy with rogues ©
    Haste will fix it ©

First: My ilvl is 878.

Last night I was looking to do some mythic+ before reset. I applied to some groups and was promptly declined. Thought to myself, okay, not a big deal. Lets try again. Applied to a bunch more and was declined by them all. I have never had this hard a time when trying to get into a mythic dungeon. I had one person ask me what spec I was. I told him Fire, and was immediately declined.

This got me wondering...

Are fire mages no longer a thing?
    Is it time I changed my main spec for arcane or frost?
    Should I reroll all together?
    if you felt better about your performance, you wouldn't be feeling bad about getting declined and would just chalk it up to coincidence. can't imagine a pro player coming to mmo champ forums to make a thread like this