Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Need help regarding programmers brain fog/burnout

Everytime I (learning Java) program for a few hours, been doing that for a whole year, I have been dealing with brain fog and burn out. So much so that I quit my activities for time being. Which is really annoying because I really want to become a good programmer and make a living that way..

Could someone please help me and give some advice?

Drink a beer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dextroden View Post
    You are a carbon copy of what you long so hard to fight in the streets. An extremist. Someone so desperate for strife to prove you are the ubermensch, err, Real American.

Alt lite. Sounds like you're having an alt fright. Unable to sleep at alt night. Maybe you should relax and fly an alt kite. Go down to the diner for an alt bite. You shouldn't be treating people with alt spite. Eventually, everything will be alt right.

Quote Originally Posted by Parhamz View Post
    Everytime I (learning Java) program for a few hours, been doing that for a whole year, I have been dealing with brain fog and burn out. So much so that I quit my activities for time being. Which is really annoying because I really want to become a good programmer and make a living that way..

Could someone please help me and give some advice?
    Start a project that you want to do, say a text editor or some kind of game.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Show us an example of your code. Upload it to github and let us see.

From my professional experience, good code practices -> good code -> increased desire to keep coding. When the code sucks, my motivation to work on it decreases dramatically.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    I was just planning to create a game, but I have been burnt mentally.

Quote Originally Posted by Nasukkin View Post
    Show us an example of your code. Upload it to github and let us see.

From my professional experience, good code practices -> good code -> increased desire to keep coding. When the code sucks, my motivation to work on it decreases dramatically.
    I never said I was the best programmer, I want to advance obviously, but I keep hitting walls. Do you have any tips?

Deleted
    Yeah, look for project ideas online if you don't have any yourself, but trying to work on something you have no interest in is hard. Make something you actually want to make. Even if its not something really complicated you will still learn stuff usually.

10+ Year Old Account
    Take a 3 week vacation. Stress reduces neuronal turnover, and neurons take 2 weeks to develop. Reduced neuronal turnover results in reduced cognitive function.

Quote Originally Posted by Herradura View Post
    Drink a beer.
    Yup. https://xkcd.com/323/

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Quetzl View Post
    Take a 3 week vacation. Stress reduces neuronal turnover, and neurons take 2 weeks to develop. Reduced neuronal turnover results in reduced cognitive function.
    That's actually a good idea. Hopefully I am recovered by 3 weeks. I guess I will have to wait to find that fire again. I think my brain needs a rest.

You are a carbon copy of what you long so hard to fight in the streets. An extremist. Someone so desperate for strife to prove you are the ubermensch, err, Real American.

Alt lite. Sounds like you're having an alt fright. Unable to sleep at alt night. Maybe you should relax and fly an alt kite. Go down to the diner for an alt bite. You shouldn't be treating people with alt spite. Eventually, everything will be alt right.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hate to say it, but coding isn't for everyone. If you struggle staying interested, you may need to reevaluate your goals.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kujako View Post
    Hate to say it, but coding isn't for everyone. If you struggle staying interested, you may need to reevaluate your goals.
    I hear you, but I am a HSP (highly sensitive person) and I differ from other people, that said a programming job is pretty suitable for people like us. My brain just needs downtime, I can't go balls off the walls 24/7, pretend I am super motivated because I will crash..and crash..and crash.

Aren't there at least part time programmers out there? Or people who don't aspire to be like Steve Jobs.

I do. Buy these books and read them:

https://www.amazon.com/Effective-Jav.../dp/0321356683
    https://www.amazon.com/Java-Puzzlers.../dp/032133678X
    https://www.amazon.com/JUnit-Action-.../dp/1935182021

They were game-changers for me when it comes to my Java coding practices. I discovered that I greatly enjoyed writing good, clean, fully-tested code. My desire to write code grew as I honed my expertise in the language, as did my focus.

Deleted
    Lol.. I don't know about that one... I don't even drink coffee.

Quote Originally Posted by Herradura View Post
    Drink a beer.
    Yes, it's a crutch that will help you with all aspects of life.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Aren't there at least part time programmers out there? Or people who don't aspire to be like Steve Jobs.
    Sure. There are hobbyist programmers, and ones who code but use it as a means to solve a problem rather than as a vocation unto itself.

Programming is very dense and it can be very complicated and esoteric, so some degree of stress isn't unusual. Working on something for a long time, especially under really tight deadlines, is a very common cause for burnout too. Taking a small break can be beneficial for a number of reasons, but when I say "small break" I mean something more akin to 15 minutes every few hours to let your brain both power down a little, and consider the problem subconsciously. If that's what you're experiencing, it's pretty normal and perfectly fine.

If it's something more than that or under less strenuous circumstances then that's something else. Are you starting in material that is too advanced for you? That's a pretty good way to burn yourself out.
    “Nostalgia was like a disease, one that crept in and stole the colour from the world and the time you lived in. Made for bitter people. Dangerous people, when they wanted back what never was.” -- Steven Erikson, The Crippled God

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xar226 View Post
    Sure. There are hobbyist programmers, and ones who code but use it as a means to solve a problem rather than as a vocation unto itself.
    Yeah but if you're solving a real problem(not making videogames) I would use Python over Java. If you need massive scale then C/++, OpenMP, MPI, CUDA.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Xar226 View Post

Programming is very dense and it can be very complicated and esoteric, so some degree of stress isn't unusual. Working on something for a long time, especially under really tight deadlines, is a very common cause for burnout too. Taking a small break can be beneficial for a number of reasons, but when I say "small break" I mean something more akin to 15 minutes every few hours to let your brain both power down a little, and consider the problem subconsciously. If that's what you're experiencing, it's pretty normal and perfectly fine.

If it's something more than that or under less strenuous circumstances then that's something else. Are you starting in material that is too advanced for you? That's a pretty good way to burn yourself out.
    When I started out, I was always in a hurry, like I wanted knowledge as fast as possible, and just crammed everything in my head via paid tutorials. Instead of learning one thing at a time. I know the error of my ways.

That said I think there was this one guy who absolutely sucked in math, but became a human calculator later on. I mean, how hard is it to program right? Your brain just needs to be trained, it's a skill. I guess I have to practice more patience.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by PrimaryColor View Post
    Yeah but if you're solving a real problem(not making videogames) I would use Python over Java. If you need massive scale then C/++, OpenMP, MPI, CUDA.
    I think I read Java being the most or one of the most important languages in 10 years time. So it has a good future. Why would you use Python over Java if I may ask?

7+ Year Old Account
    I think I read Java being the most or one of the most important languages in 10 years time. So it has a good future. Why would you use Python over Java if I may ask?
    Java is for compatibility and relatively good speed. Great for games and phone apps.

If you want to focus on the problem domain itself then Python is better. You spend less time on low level details and boilerplate.

Yes, it's a crutch that will help you with all aspects of life.
    Die faster.