Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Cool Marriage is good for your health, large study suggests

Married people have better general health than those who are single, according to research at Aston Medical School in Birmingham.

The study, on almost a million British adults with high blood pressure, cholesterol or diabetes, found that married people in their 50s, 60s and 70s with high cholesterol were 16 per cent more likely to be alive at the end of the 14-year study period.

They were also found to be more likely to survive high blood pressure, diabetes and heart disease.

The researchers say that the protective effects of marriage ‘likely result from increased social support leading to healthier lifestyles and increased medication compliance’.

‘Our findings suggest a need for increased social support for single patients with modifiable cardiovascular risk factors.’

The study’s lead author, Dr Paul Carter, said: ‘We need to unpick the underlying reasons a bit more, but it appears there’s something about being married that is protective, not only in patients with heart disease but also those with heart disease risk factors.

‘We’re not saying that everyone should get married though. We need to replicate the positive effects of marriage and use friends, family and social support networks in the same way.’

Previous research has suggested that the health benefits of marriage are greater for men than for women.

Instant analysis
    For many years there has been anecdotal evidence that marriage is good for your health without clear evidence as to why this should be the case. This large study presented at the British Cardiovascular Society conference now points towards possible reasons why.

It found that men and women in their 50s, 60s and 70s with high cholesterol levels were 16 per cent more likely to be alive at the end of the 14-year study if they were married rather than single, with the same being true for diabetes and high blood pressure.

It is postulated that the apparent protective effects of marriage arise from increased social support leading to healthier lifestyles, along with increased medication compliance
    https://health.spectator.co.uk/marri...tudy-suggests/

Great to see more cold, hard evidence on the benefits of marriage. Hopefully more people see the light and quit wasting their time in pointless relationships.

Congrats on your wedding announcement!

10+ Year Old Account
    So why are you still single?

Deleted
    So, a healthier lifestyles= longer life.
    I don't see what marriage has to do with it.
    It's just people who live happy lives in general who live longer.

Some of us aren't pretty enough to get married
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Forgettable View Post
    I never posted anything about my personal life on here. Quit speculating.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    Call it an educated guess.
    Her hall is called Eljudnir,
    her dish is Hunger,
    her knife is Famine,
    her slave is Lazy,
    and Slothful is her woman servant.

I am sure its great if you find the right person to marry. Finding the right person to marry is the same odds as winning the lottery for a lot of us.

Successful marriage* I guess...

Not all of us were so lucky to have one

https://health.spectator.co.uk/marri...tudy-suggests/

Great to see more cold, hard evidence on the benefits of marriage. Hopefully more people see the light and quit wasting their time in pointless relationships.
    Just think, if one marriage is good for you, imagine what 5 marriages would do!
    You actually have, otherwise people wouldn't know you are a man.

15+ Year Old Account
    Well duh. Marriage is the cuterest thing.

so how about you quite speculating how the rest of us live our lives? oh right, then you'd have no reason to post here, carry on.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nihilist74 View Post
    I am sure its great if you find the right person to marry. Finding the right person to marry is the same odds as winning the lottery for a lot of us.
    You will increase your odds by looking in the right places. Bars is not one I would suggest. Not saying you visit those places, but I know some who do and then complain about not finding the right person, that most of those they date are out for mainly one thing.

But this topic is nothing new and there have been several studies which have shown the same thing.

Deleted
    Great to see more cold, hard evidence on the benefits of marriage.
    There's no scientific evidence here. A single study means absolutely nothing. I see absolutely no causation, or even correlation here.

People start these studies, so they get given grants, so they can make a living. Whatever the results therein are, it's pretty much irrelevant most of the time, because if it's something that actually matters - and this is not - another "study" will come along the next month, completely debunking the results. In this case, however, I doubt anyone will give two shits about the issue, and thus you'd be hard pressed to find another sucker to conduct another study on this, to see if the results are confirmed, and until they are confirmed by another study, they do not matter.

Hopefully more people see the light and quit wasting their time in pointless relationships.
    Well, I mean, you're absolutely right about that. Being single is absolutely the way to go. Most marriages end up in divorce, and the vast majority of relationships in general do. I'm glad we are in full agreement on this. I wouldn't have believed this of you.

Not good for your wallet though

10+ Year Old Account
    I imagine having someone to lean on would be good for you, yeah.
    Don't see why that means everyone needs to get married though. Everyone should run a mile a day to stay healthy, too...
    ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥ "In short, people are idiots who don't really understand anything." ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥
    [/url]
    ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥ ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamdwelf View Post
    Some of us aren't pretty enough to get married
    If i can, then you can too.

although i am not married yet, i am engaged haha, its something at least!

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ohiostate124 View Post
    Not good for your wallet though
    Lol! You mean it is not if only one contributes and the other does not. It should be a partnership, where both share the same wealth equally between themselves. But in many cases that is not true and money problems is a major reason some end up in divorce.

Wasn't there a study a while back about how married men lived longer than single men but married women had shorter lives?

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Quote Originally Posted by Forgettable View Post
    Read their posting history.
    C-C-C-Can't Stump the Trump!