Thread: Unholy help plz

Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Unholy help plz

I used to be a frost dk and do oodles of damage, to get a general sense, ~14k on festergut and rotface. Due do specific guild needs, I needed to re-roll unholy. I have heroic Bryntroll, 4p sanc ect...... I am only pulling about 5-6k dps on the level 60 dummies including pest... please tell me what I am doing wrong, anywhere from spec to rotation to gear.

Rotation: It/ps/bs/ss/bs/dc/HoW then ss/bs/ss/bs/dc/dc/(dc)
    http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...n=Slackasaurus

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by alextg94 View Post
    I used to be a frost dk and do oodles of damage, to get a general sense, ~14k on festergut and rotface. Due do specific guild needs, I needed to re-roll unholy. I have heroic Bryntroll, 4p sanc ect...... I am only pulling about 5-6k dps on the level 60 dummies including pest... please tell me what I am doing wrong, anywhere from spec to rotation to gear.

Rotation: It/ps/bs/ss/bs/dc/HoW then ss/bs/ss/bs/dc/dc/(dc)
    http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...n=Slackasaurus
    It appears I can't give links

http: //elitistjerks.com/f72/t72364-unholy_dps_3_3_5_could_you/
    http: //considerit1.wordpress.com/

Well for starters you're testing your dps on a dummy, which is bad. You should raid a bit, then come back and show us your WoL logs if you're disappointed.

Anyway, tips.

1. Refresh your diseases only when they are right about to drop off.

2. Link your armory so we can see your gear and spec. *oops, didn't see your armory earlier.*

3. Make sure your ghoul is out all the time, that you use Gargoyle at the right times (beginning of the fight if it's a long one, right at heroism if it's a short one.)

4. Use Army of the Dead correctly.

5. Realize that your DPS is high sustained, especially in AoE fights. Target switching doesn't really do you a lot of good but make sure you pest out your diseases to everything in sight.
    Last edited by Shelly; 2010-06-23 at 03:56 PM. Reason: Made a boo-boo.

I just did TOC 10 weekly... did 5.2k on jara and i stayed on boss the whole time

OK, spec seems fine, I prefer 2 points in Morbidity over Dirge, but that's just me.

Anyway, make sure you're in Blood Prescence. What? Stop looking at me that way, you know folks forgetting to turn it on after a respec happens. Also test your DPS in a raid with full raid buffs.

Oh and are you comparing overall dps or specific dps on bosses? That's also a biggie.

I did realize your crit is a bit low. I'd recommend throwing str/cri gems in yellow sockets that give you a 4str+ bonus, that may help. Also, your current gear could easily support a chaotic skyflare for your meta which would also increase the low crit you have. Also, when possible, open up with PS instead of IT and remember that your Gargoyle scales directly with your current attack power, so pop him on CDs/procs. Outside of that I'm not sure where else to point you.

EDIT
    Ignore this post about crit and change the yellows to str/haste.
    Last edited by Pookstar; 2010-06-23 at 04:29 PM.

I just did TOC 10 weekly... did 5.2k on jara and i stayed on boss the whole time
    5.2k? First question is...what's your latency and framerates like in a raid? You're not lacking hit or expertise, so it's not boss avoidance. Your spec seems fine. The only thing I see that's even remotely off is a few gems. At this point, you should be using Fierce Ametrines in those Yellow sockets, as Unholy thrives heavily on Haste. Another question...was Jaraxxus being moved around a lot by the tank? Sometimes, when the Infernos stop and hellfire near the boss, the tank has to get out of there or he faces possible death. Assuming the boss didn't need to be moved THAT much, my only other question would be...are you sure you're following the correct rotation and popping cooldowns at the right time? This includes Army of the Dead. With your gear, you should be pulling at least 8-9k on Jaraxxus, assuming minimal raid buffs in a 10 man.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ok, i had a quick look at your gear and a few things popped up.

1. Too much expertise, get the ashen verdict might ring, and try to lower expertise, its not that important
    2. Hit kinda high, isn't it 7% for ally's?
    3. Unholy likes haste, for example i got 257 haste atm, you got 43.
    4. Only other stuff is the standard, keep ghoul up, keep bone shield up, and use gargoyle at moments of high haste/ap
    5. Keep this rotation up: PS – IT – BS – SS – BS – DC – HoW - SS – BS – SS – BS – DC – DC– (DC)
    My armory, if you want to check: http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Twilight's%20Hammer&n=Raltharg

Quote Originally Posted by Pookstar View Post
    I did realize your crit is a bit low. I'd recommend throwing str/cri gems in yellow sockets that give you a 4str+ bonus, that may help. Also, your current gear could easily support a chaotic skyflare for your meta which would also increase the low crit you have. Also, when possible, open up with PS instead of IT and remember that your Gargoyle scales directly with your current attack power, so pop him on CDs/procs. Outside of that I'm not sure where else to point you.
    No...crit matters not to an Unholy DK with his gear. He'll get plenty of crit through raid buffs when it matters (25 man Hard Modes). I'm not gonna say that gemming for Crit is fail or anything...but Haste certainly is more valuable a stat at this stage in the game. The meta is a matter of personal taste. I personally see no point in using Chaotic, simply cuz it forces you to use one of those crappy Purple gems w/stam on it. Relentless Earthsiege offers way more flexibility, and is therefore a better choice for Unholy. 21 Crit over 21 Agility isn't really that big a difference when you have Fury Warriors granting you an extra 5% at all times, as well as other nice raid buffs.

Check your spell ranks? There's some bug out there (may have been fixed by now, this was a month or so ago) that de-ranks your moves.

As a poster above said, open when possible with PS over IT, and the only difference I have rotation-wise is I usually hit both BS consecutively as opposed to putting a SS between. (I might be bad though).
    Quote Originally Posted by Wafflesahhh View Post
    GC looks healthy and kipper in this interview. Look's like he's been taking his multivitamins. Good for him.

Quote Originally Posted by Gnomatose View Post
    No...crit matters not to an Unholy DK with his gear. He'll get plenty of crit through raid buffs when it matters (25 man Hard Modes). I'm not gonna say that gemming for Crit is fail or anything...but Haste certainly is more valuable a stat at this stage in the game. The meta is a matter of personal taste. I personally see no point in using Chaotic, simply cuz it forces you to use one of those crappy Purple gems w/stam on it. Relentless Earthsiege offers way more flexibility, and is therefore a better choice for Unholy. 21 Crit over 21 Agility isn't really that big a difference when you have Fury Warriors granting you an extra 5% at all times, as well as other nice raid buffs.
    Yea, you're correct on this. My eyes were playing tricks on me when I looked at his gear. For some reason my brain processed 20% crit rather than the 29% he has which is why I eluded to the crit issue.

10+ Year Old Account
    also, only switch to str/haste if the bonus is worth it (aka bonus + 10 haste > 10 str)

To make it simple, if you don't do equal dmg in unholy with that gear compared to your frost spec, you're doing it wrong.
    You have allot more of breathing room as unholy, dps has ramp-up time though, allot longer then frost atleast.
    Use gargoyle when bloodlust is up, use a speed pot just before that aswell and check your buffs, trinkets, procs etc.
    Pet control is important aswell, even though it's rather easy.
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)

No he was stationary and 60 fps 100 ms

---------- Post added 06-23-2010 at 04:53 PM ----------

If the socket bonus is +4str I should use it if it is yello+red correct? or was it +6?

No he was stationary and 60 fps 100 ms

---------- Post added 06-23-2010 at 04:53 PM ----------

If the socket bonus is +4str I should use it if it is yello+red correct? or was it +6?
    I prefer to only use an orange on a +6 where all other sockets are red. On blue sockets I just go straight red on all of them no matter what the socket bonus is (provided I've met the requirements for my meta.)

Anyway, how long was the Jarraxxus fight? If it was really short then you may not have had time to ramp up your DPS for whatever reason - missed AotD, didn't get your gargoyle out, trinkets didn't proc as often as they could have, etc. When we say unholy has a lot of ramp-up time we mean it.

Also how many "magical" dpsers were there in the group? Like were all your ranged mages or anything? As I assume they wanted you to bring Ebon Plaguebringer, in which case you can take all of their DPS and subtract 15% from it and add it to your overall damage done.

Oh and I prefer to open with BS, that way I get the +damage which funnels into my first disease application. Which I think gives at least a small chunk of extra DPS. Other things to look at are if you've got a shaman or frost DK in the group boosting your melee swings. Also do your best to pick up any anti-magic-shell chances you can get so you can just pump a ton of deathcoils into the boss.

Hope that helps, but honestly I think you just need to get used to the unholy playstyle.

Remember any ICC dps is going to be higher than anywhere else because of the buff. At 20% buff 14k in ICC would be about 11.2k outside of ICC. Also, when comparing raid dps to dummy dps you are going to be missing basically all the buffs/debuffs. Try comparing dummy dps between the 2 specs. Other than that we'd probably need logs to check for any obvious issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Shelly View Post
    I prefer to only use an orange on a +6 where all other sockets are red. On blue sockets I just go straight red on all of them no matter what the socket bonus is (provided I've met the requirements for my meta.)
    Ty

Anyway, how long was the Jarraxxus fight?
    about 1:35

Also how many "magical" dpsers were there in the group? Like were all your ranged mages or anything? As I assume they wanted you to bring Ebon Plaguebringer, in which case you can take all of their DPS and subtract 15% from it and add it to your overall damage done.
    2mages and a hunter were the range

Hope that helps, but honestly I think you just need to get used to the unholy playstyle.
    It did tyvm

---------- Post added 06-23-2010 at 07:52 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by evan_s View Post
    . Try comparing dummy dps between the 2 specs.
    As frost on the heroic training dummy, I did 7.1k dps
    As unholy on the heroic training dummy i did 4.3k dps

EDIT: I changed around a few gems and stared with rotation with a bs like you said and my end dps on the heroic training dummy as Unholy was 5.2k... I still feel I should be doing more... but I talked to the raid leader to ask if he could get our other frost dk to go unholy... we are raiding now with 1 blood 2 frost (me and the other guy)

Anyway, how long was the Jarraxxus fight? If it was really short then you may not have had time to ramp up your DPS for whatever reason - missed AotD, didn't get your gargoyle out, trinkets didn't proc as often as they could have, etc. When we say unholy has a lot of ramp-up time we mean it.

Oh and I prefer to open with BS, that way I get the +damage which funnels into my first disease application. Which I think gives at least a small chunk of extra DPS. Other things to look at are if you've got a shaman or frost DK in the group boosting your melee swings. Also do your best to pick up any anti-magic-shell chances you can get so you can just pump a ton of deathcoils into the boss.

Although it might be a slight gain, it is still a gain to use Ametrines for yellow sockets that will yield 4Str+.

It is a DPS loss to open with BS. You are using a gimp strike (no diseases) to SLIGHTLY buff your DoT damage.

It is also a DPS loss to DC machine gun now rather than continuing your normal rotation. Unholy really doesn't rely on AMS for RP, and it's more of a defensive CD for the spec. You should of course still use it whenever appropriate.

As frost on the heroic training dummy, I did 7.1k dps
    As unholy on the heroic training dummy i did 4.3k dps

EDIT: I changed around a few gems and stared with rotation with a bs like you said and my end dps on the heroic training dummy as Unholy was 5.2k... I still feel I should be doing more... but I talked to the raid leader to ask if he could get our other frost dk to go unholy... we are raiding now with 1 blood 2 frost (me and the other guy)
    How long are your dummy parses? Ideally they should be a couple hours each to minimize the effect of random components. At the very least you should do a couple 5 minute parses each.

Also keep in mind that your frost spec is providing a 20% melee haste buff that might be missing in dummy testing but not on a raid.