Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

My getting hacked story

OK, logged in about 2 hours ago, on my alt. Nothing was gone on it, just noticed my keybindings were all messed up. Logged on my main to duel someone, was in Netherstorm, dead in The Botanica, my dps gear was sold, lost all my gold, keybindings changed, tanking gear sold, bank sold, inventory sold. My other alt was completely wiped, everything gone.

Made a ticket to Blizzard, 20 minutes later, contacted by a GM, told me that he has "Escalated my situation to their investigation team, for further investigation into the matter."
    Was speaking to him for about 30 minutes, about random stoof. He told me I'll have my stuff back either tonight, or in the morning.

Great job Blizz, I was really thinking about cancelling my account XD

Share your good/bad hacked story's here.

EDIT: Tabbed back in, now I've got another GM speaking to me O_O That GM has now restored all my items, how fast was that?!
    I asked the GM to do stuff for me, I have screenshots inc!!

SCREENSHOTS: http://img844.imageshack.us/gal.php?...2910220000.jpg Album there. OMG it was amazing
    Last edited by mmocc9f100db02; 2010-08-29 at 09:40 PM.

Deleted
    When I got hacked it took about 2 days to get my stuff back and blizz even gave me an extra 4k gold by mistake, so I didn't mind the hacking in the first place

I use an authenticator now.

10+ Year Old Account
    From what I've heard about similar situations, Blizz should do a pretty good job of getting your stuff back, so don't worry too much.

Protip: Use Firefox, an anti-malware, a good antivirus, and a good firewall. Make sure you've got Adblock Plus addon for Firefox. Don't click on links in emails. Run updates and scans often. Use a "throwaway" email for your login and a complex password.

Or, just fuck it and clicky clicky on pron sites from russia like me.

10+ Year Old Account
    My one was normal, if it wasn't for my brother visiting a site whispered to him, we would never have gotten into that mess!

Took about 4 days to recover everything. I think I got my money back, but my brother didn't xP
    Varian: Look, I didn't touch your gunship, okay!
    Garrosh: I witnessed, with my eyes, your TESTICLES on my gunship!
    -Argent_Captain

Deleted
    I was hacked by an ex-partner who wanted me off our realm, as every single character on just my realm was deleted on my account but other realms were untouched. The GMs were fantastic in getting everything back, I think it took between a couple of days and a couple of weeks, this was a couple of years ago though! They were unable to give back some lowbie bank alts even with names, but all my main characters were restored exactly as before, all money and items, I don't know if its more or less complicated if the items are sold, or just plain deleted from character screen. I even got a "gratz" from the GM as I told him my guild just got Archimonde down, sucks that I missed it through hax =( Glued to my authenticator now!

Second story; I recently noticed my friend's Real ID account logging on and off and on and off and on and off every single character on every single realm; I knew this friend was on holiday at the time, and I got no response from whispers, so I contacted a GM and said I suspected the account hacked, gave him some character names from the account and he said he'd take care of it. True enough, the account had been hacked but the GMs locked it up and sorted it out with my friend when he got home.

I give them biscuits whenever I finish talking to them ^.^ GM said he loved biscuits \o/

Took a week and lost an epic BOE, couldn't talk to a GM or customer support the whole time.

psh, I put my real ID on a supposed closed forum...so fail

But my account was suspended in the middle of the night and there's really no way that can be undone, so that was a load of BS right there. Waited three days to even submit my GM ticket, and then another 4 days after that "looking into the situation"!

I had even sent GM's and administrators e-mails on how long and stupid the situation was, but no one responded other than "we are investigating"

Sure, I got all my stuff back, but I missed a whole week on wow

It didn't help that my main was stuck in transfer limbo after I got my account back either...was stuck leveling an alt...
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinra1 View Post
    ...because being black means you can't be racist only prejudice.
    ...black people have no power, privilege they cannot be racist since they were oppressed.
    Did you just compare slavery to the holocaust? Don't compare them. The holocaust lasted 4 years while slavery lasted for well over 200 years at least in the US FYI

10+ Year Old Account
    What happens to the gold and stuff that they steal? Do they take it back and ban that account that the stuff was sent to? Or can they not track that? Because if they cant track it cant you just have someone "hack" your account and then have a GM restore all of your items/gold and then have the other person return all that stuff to you to effectively double your gold?

10+ Year Old Account
    I think the most amazing part about this story is how a GM got to you in 20 minutes.
    "When the child of the three realms becomes as light, the ancient power will be released. The earth will tremble. The seas will rise up in answer, and all will be madness. A new day will dawn, bringing with it chaos or peace. Our master is a god of chaos! Pandemonium will aid the old one's release! To this end, we will weaken the barrier between Azeroth and the Elemental Plane. This will allow our great master to reclaim its former elemental servants and send them to rampage throughout our world."

Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    Authenticator, Firefox, anti-virus software, common sense = never got hacked.
    If you are not using an Authenticator, u dont realy need any other security tbh, never bad to have it tho=)

I was hacked around the time when conan came out took Them 3 months to give me back my account but they gave me 50+ blue items i didnt have at the time of the hack

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by dranx View Post
    What happens to the gold and stuff that they steal? Do they take it back and ban that account that the stuff was sent to? Or can they not track that? Because if they cant track it cant you just have someone "hack" your account and then have a GM restore all of your items/gold and then have the other person return all that stuff to you to effectively double your gold?
    I'd like to think they can track it because it's all data sent through the servers when you post something, and they check it out whenever you report a lost mail item. Would it disrupt the economy if they just replaced your gold, effectively adding more money to the system? Or is it a negligible amount?

right...you havnt bothered to scan your pc and find the keylogger?..if you changed your password without doing so prepare to get "hacked" again and if you need to log into your email account you might also have compromised it.

Quote Originally Posted by swiftfeet View Post
    When I got hacked it took about 2 days to get my stuff back and blizz even gave me an extra 4k gold by mistake, so I didn't mind the hacking in the first place

I use an authenticator now.
    I didn't mind hacking my acc aswell - got restored all my items, mats and my gold (~32,000) twice by mistake nothing to complain about

Deleted
    Epic screenshots inc, the GM did a lot of cool stuff for me

---------- Post added 2010-08-29 at 10:33 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Chogall View Post
    I think the most amazing part about this story is how a GM got to you in 20 minutes.
    I'm not kidding...

---------- Post added 2010-08-29 at 10:34 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Lagwin View Post
    right...you havnt bothered to scan your pc and find the keylogger?..if you changed your password without doing so prepare to get "hacked" again and if you need to log into your email account you might also have compromised it.
    The first thing I did was scan my computer, you think I'm dumb?

---------- Post added 2010-08-29 at 10:41 PM ----------

Update with screenies

The first thing I did was scan my computer, you think I'm dumb?
    Well i wouldnt say dumb but you got hacked didnt you :P

"Hacked" while being the common description is not always accurate.
    It could be from a phishing website, therefore a scan of your computer is not likely to find anything.
    Any given piece of software does not protect against everything, so you can but hope.
    It would not be the first time someone uses the same password for multiple online activities, so that is a further area of attack on accounts, particularly with the shift to battle.net making email addresses easier to associate than usernames.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ComputerNerd View Post
    "Hacked" while being the common description is not always accurate.
    It could be from a phishing website, therefore a scan of your computer is not likely to find anything.
    Any given piece of software does not protect against everything, so you can but hope.
    It would not be the first time someone uses the same password for multiple online activities, so that is a further area of attack on accounts, particularly with the shift to battle.net making email addresses easier to associate than usernames.
    Your name fits.

Did you notice in the screenshot, that the GM he's talking with in whisper and the GM that appeared next to him have their names different? in chat it's "Pholduur" and in-game it's "Pholdure" just my thought
    GearScore - is directly related to Skill; the More you care about it, the Less you have.
    GearScore - is like a Bikini; what it shows is Suggestive, what it hides is far more Important.

Omg haxx, you just the broke internet! Was expecting a QQ thread, but it wasn't here. I want that minute of my life back! Prick.

On a serious note, glad if got sorted. Blizzard isn't the useless moneystealing bastards a lot of people like to think. Had similiar experiences myself.