Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    This isn't new.

-supporsafe-management.com

I loled.

Very convincing indeed - if you can't read.

Normally I'm a very cautious guy
    No, you're not or you wouldn't have clicked a phising site.

Its really not that hard to tell a fake email from the real deal, anything that doesnt have battle.net as the sender is fake, simplez.
    Wrong. You are also great next candidate to be hacked.

makes you think lol...

Quote Originally Posted by Ctrlphreak View Post
    WARNING! THIS IS NOT TRUE!

Faking an email address is trivially easy - when I was at college, my friends and I would regularly send eachother emails with the sent from address as "GOD", "ADMIN" e.t.c.

In other words - don't trust the email address to be true, and if you are at all worried about blizz emails - *NEVER* click links - always type the address in manually. (That is, the correct battle net address, not whatever it says in the email ofc)
    I refer you to the link in my signature. It really is easy to tell a fake email from the real deal.

Put plainly if you get an email like this don't follow the links, even if it's from Blizzard, or says it is. Google wow and go to the page manually.
    Secure accounts ftw!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Clempson View Post
    "KING VARIAN, DEATHWING HAS DESTROYED HALF OF STORMWIND, WHAT DO WE DO!?"

"Build a statue of your king."

15+ Year Old Account
    While the differences between those two are... not really subtle, there's no denying that they have gotten better at trying to pass for the real thing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Whenever its not telling me to go to on my account via a link to www.battle.net......I think its fake.

What I do not understand is, how did you end up on the fake site to begin with?

Regardless of how convincing the site looks, or the mail reads, why would you type in another address? I just can't make a link between the two.

Even if you believe the mail is authentic, why would you ever click a link in a mail? Manually typing in the address every time render these mails useless.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Thonius View Post
    Seriously, what's your problems smartasses? ..

I for one am very gratefull for this "heads up" .. That scam is by far one of the best I've seen made against the Battlenet security,

Thanks Dairios!
    Smartasses?

It's the TRUTH.

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...-get-you-a-Ban!

15+ Year Old Account
    I've had a few of these sent myself. I also noticed the email, but when I read it for the first time.. I thought it was the real deal.

Just remember: Always mouse over links and 100% proof read the link that appears.
    http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...losophy/simple
    Philosophy, Worgen Mage of Magtheridon EU.Mokari, Nelf Hunter of Magtheridon EU (AKA Shikari @ Achindoun). [Currently inactive]

Quote Originally Posted by Ctrlphreak View Post
    WARNING! THIS IS NOT TRUE!

Faking an email address is trivially easy - when I was at college, my friends and I would regularly send eachother emails with the sent from address as "GOD", "ADMIN" e.t.c.

In other words - don't trust the email address to be true, and if you are at all worried about blizz emails - *NEVER* click links - always type the address in manually. (That is, the correct battle net address, not whatever it says in the email ofc)
    Really? Because I'm 100% sure that Blizzard's mail servers won't allow you to relay through them so please explain how you fake that.

Quote Originally Posted by Unknown User View Post
    Really? Because I'm 100% sure that Blizzard's mail servers won't allow you to relay through them so please explain how you fake that.
    It has absolutely nothing to do with "relaying" through blizzards servers. Its trivial to spoof what shows up on the header as the sender.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=spoofing+sender+address
    Last edited by apsilocybin; 2010-11-28 at 04:36 AM.

Herald of the Titans MrKnubbles's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    I like how it says StarCraft?II and Diablo?III as if it's unsure if those games are correct.
    Check out my game, Craftsmith, on the Google Play Store!

10+ Year Old Account
    Actually I receive plenty of emails every day from "noreply@battle.net" etc stating things like this or sometimes in very broken english... However the easiest way I tell if it's real or fake is to hover my mouse over the links in the email. The link will say in text "http://www.battle.net/account" but the hyperlink in it is actually "http://weareafakehackingsite.com/accountwebpagethatlooksexactlylikeblizzards". That's how I always know. =P
    We're all just a bunch of nut-cases or people egging on nut-cases or people trying to rationalize with nut-cases or people accidentally trying to rationalize with eggers and we all decided for ourselves who each other are. I've returned to deciding that we're all just a bunch of nut-cases.

Quote Originally Posted by apsilocybin View Post
    It has absolutely nothing to do with "relaying" through blizzards servers. Its trivial to spoof what shows up on the header as the sender.
    This
    If you've ever used an e-card service, the vast majority of those allow you to spoof their e-mail into your own, its very simple and can be done by anyone, on any e-mail

Learn to mouse over links and you're 99.9% protected, if in doubt ignore links and go to battle.net directly

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Unknown User View Post
    You dont need to send mail via blizzards email servers to fake the sender address

As someone who has been in an IT job for around 12 years now and an internet user since the days when 28.8kbps modems were like ZOMG AWESOME! take it from me that anyone with even a low level of computer knowledge can pull this off

Ok thought i would add my 2 cents worth... for those (like me) that still use Outlook Express you need "Never" to open your blizz emails to know if they are scam or not... very simple..

ok 1st thing is to always make sure that your "preview pane" is disabled.. you can disable this by clicking "View", "Layout" and clicking the preview pane off..

ok now in your inbox find the mail you think may be fake..
    Right click it and goto properties,
    Click the "Details" tab at the top
    Click "Message Source"
    Click Maximize

ok in here you'll find 2 sections... one with Bold text and the other not in bold

2 things were looking for... 1st you'll need to find this line in the Bold text

This is from the "REAL" Blizzard
    "From: Blizzard Entertainment <noreply AT battle. net>"

the 2nd thingy is to make sure in the non-bold text section, you want to check that there is a message there..
    Here is a small cut and paste from that section (some of it may be edited to remove my personal details...
    Again.. "this is from the REAL Blizzard"

"=EF=BB=BFHello ((EDIT:This was my name)),br />br />

Blizzard Entertainment has recently received a request to change the e-mail=
    address used to log in to your Battle. net account."

ok that out of the way.. ill now show you what a Fake one looks like in this same way..

again, not opening the email at all.. i right click it and goto properties / Details / Message source.. Maximize

in the bold section were looking for the line that says "From:" ... in the Fake mail it will read somthing like...
    "From: ?GB2312?B?QmxpenphcmQgRW50ZXJ0YWlubWVudA==?= <noreply AT blizzard. com>"

ok already we can tell that this mail is dodgy and should not be opened, just deleted outright.. but we have one more way of confirming for sure
    if you look down into the non-bold text section you will see that there is no message at all.. a cut and paste of what you'll see in a fake mail.. in this particular mail there was 17 lines of this

V29ybGQgb2YgV2FyY3JhZnQgcGxheWVycyB5b3UhDQpDYXRhY2x5c20gaXMgYWJvdXQgdG8gYmVn
    aW4sIHdlIGhhdmUgdG8gY29tcGFyZSBXb3JsZCBvZiBXYXJjcmFmdCBtYWpvciByZXZpc2lvbiBt
    YXkgY2F1c2UgdGhlIHNhbWUgdG8geW91IGhvcGUgeW91IGNhbiB1bmRlcnN0YW5kISA4NSBuZXcg
    bW91bnQgY29taW5nIHNvb24sIFdvcmxkIG9mIFdhcmNyYWZ0IHBsYXllcnMgd2hvIGNvdWxkIGJl
    IG91ciBsdWNreSBzdGFycywNCndlIHdpbGwgYmUgY29tcGxpbWVudGFyeSBzZWF0IHRvIHRoZSA1
    LDAwMCBuZXcgcGxheWVycy4gWW91IGNhbiBsb2cgV2ViIHNpdGUgYXBwbGljYXRpb24sIHdlIHdp
    bGwgYmUgbHVja3kgcGxheWVycyByYW5kb21seS4gQ2hyaXN0bWFzIGlzIGFib3V0IHRoZSBuZXcg

well i hope that helps some people, very easy to do and really fast... click click click then Delete or open depending on real or fake.. done

enjoy your scam free wow time

EDIT: little bits here and there had to be removed due to MMO-Champion's
    "The following errors occurred with your submission
    You are not allowed to post any kinds of links, images or videos until you post a few times."

it will not allow me to use <SHIFT 2> for the AT symbol anywhere in this post .. so if you see "AT" you know whats its ment to be
    Last edited by Friendly; 2010-11-28 at 04:49 AM. Reason: More had to be removed or it wouldnt been seen

Oh my!
    The Arms warrior has pet names for all his weapons,
    while the Fury warrior shows up for battle drunk and half clothed.

Here's my suggestion, and for me it's worked quite well: make a new email account solely for your Battle.net email address. Don't use it for anything else at all. I did it, had ZERO WoW spam, and it's pretty much removed any doubt that the email I'm getting is real or fake. At any rate, I will never follow links, and head straight to Battle.net if there are any potential issues.
    Last edited by Secondbanana; 2010-11-28 at 04:51 AM.
    Nowhere in the bible does it say that Jesus isn't a raptor

Quote Originally Posted by Dairios View Post
    Truth be told, I didn't actually notice those few ?'s in the picture till I went back at your post and had another look! Mark that up to 3 little faults then xD
    Dude. I love your siggy. <3 Nikki Sixx.

OT: Or you could mouse over and look at the URL :|

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    This scam is not new and is very obviously fake.