Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

Question Why do/would you cheat in a video game?

So, I am doing a bit of research in this topic for a hand-in. In which games would you cheat in, and why?

And with cheating, I mean everything. Wall hacks, aimbots, cheat codes, glitches, exploits and all that stuff. Just please specify game or genre, and try to be precise if going with genre, as there is a difference between aimbots in ranked Counter Strike and abusing the scan for early Space Jump in Metroid Prime.

With me... I usually just use cheat codes or glitches in single player games, usually sandboxes like GTA just for the lulz.
    ¨
    Edit: Thanks to all who replied. Got the data, looks nice... Finishing up my exam hand-in before dying of sleep deprivation...
    Last edited by Odinfrost; 2016-06-12 at 01:48 AM. Reason: Data gathering complete

I'm in the same boat as you OP, I only use cheats/exploits in single player games when I just want to dick around for a while.

Like using console commands in Half Life 2 to get a gun right away and shoot the Combine soldier that tells you to pick up the can.

A game I did exploit my first playthrough was TES: Oblivion. I exploited an NPC who you could sell your equipped weapon to indefinitely for an infinite amount of money. Not like you needed a bunch of gold in that game, but I was young and just wanted to have a bunch of gold on hand.

Then there's the obvious stuff like going out of bounds for things like speedrunning, in Halo 2 I go OOB plenty of times and use the sword fly glitch

10+ Year Old Account
    Hm. I generally dont like cheating in games. But I always used the "never aging" cheat in sims. Or a money cheat if I just wanted to build a dream house

10+ Year Old Account
    Hmm the only time I "cheat" is in building games. Usually these "cheats" are just referred to as "sandbox" mode though so I don't know if they count? Like, I'll do infinity money options in games like SimCity/Cities:Skylines and yeah, infinite money in The Sims to build my dream cities/houses.

15+ Year Old Account
    I haven't used cheats in a game since Doom. IDKFA and IDDQD.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

Quote Originally Posted by Odinfrost View Post
    So, I am doing a bit of research in this topic for a hand-in. In which games would you cheat in, and why?

And with cheating, I mean everything. Wall hacks, aimbots, cheat codes, glitches, exploits and all that stuff. Just please specify game or genre, and try to be precise if going with genre, as there is a difference between aimbots in ranked Counter Strike and abusing the scan for early Space Jump in Metroid Prime.

With me... I usually just use cheat codes or glitches in single player games, usually sandboxes like GTA just for the lulz.
    IDDQD
    IDKFA

That is all.

I cheat in games like pokemon to save time. I really don't want to be leveling and maxing out every battle ready pokemon that takes forever. Can make them in a few mins on modded 3ds. If i have finished a game ill also mod/cheat when bored.

I would cheat before in SP games (mostly shooters) if I find them boring. Faster way to complete shitty games. In online games I cheated in Vindictus, Runes of Magic and GW2 because fuck them. Tried to be in hidden state, watched carefully so no one would notice, after turns out that 99% people I know have cheated long time before I started. Never cheated in Wow, there's always nice GMs who would help. :P

Quote Originally Posted by Odinfrost View Post

I haven't cheated at a game in years. I used to use map-hacks / .exe trainers in D2 (only local) just for fucking around and seeing the drop-rate change for rare / set pieces / runes that I'd never have a chance of normally getting (fuck farming Baal; just sayin).

I'm kind of baffled as well on why people choose to cheat. Sure - for a bit it's fun to see the game from a much easier perspective but in my opinion, and that's all it is, it gets boring as fuck after a while.

I'd never cheat in a game. Doesn't matter if online, offline, solo, competitive ... it's just the silliest and counterproductive thing ever. Just completely nonsensical.

The only situations where cheating made sense to me was way back in the day, on the NES, where sometimes it would happen that games would just bug out in certain spots, or were generally fucked up by design. There were cases where something would just regularly glitch out or was just undoable due to some stupid oversight in development, and the only way to get past that particular spot was to cheat your way through.

For example, there was a terrible port of the - actually quite terrible - first Turtles NES game for the PC. In the PC version, for some inexplicable reason, a platform was moved way further to the right so that the jump that was required to do was mechanically impossible to pull off. That exact spot was just recently featured in an article on some gaming site, Eurogamer or something like that. But stuff like that generally very rarely happens in today's games.

Simple. If a game frustrates me with a segment that runs counter to how I feel the game should work, or has mechanics that I feel pointlessly prolong game systems for no good reason. This is purely in single-player games.

Example #1: The stealth segment in Metroid: Zero Mission. For those unfamiliar, this is a portion of the game where Samus is forced to sneak around avoiding space pirates because her Power Suit has been destroyed and she's only in her zero suit. I found this incredibly against the grain of Metroid and an exercise in pointless frustration. So fuck you, I turned on infinite health and facetanked my way back to having my fucking armor.

Example #2: The insane RNG of gear in Grim Dawn. This is an attraction for many people, I know. But for me, endlessly running the same content until I'm ready to hurl trying to find end-game gear for my character is no longer fun. It's just an exercise in frustration, because I'm not progressing towards a goal. I'm just throwing darts blindfolded until one manages to hit the bulls-eye. That's not rewarding gameplay. If I wanted to gamble I'd do it for RL money. So fuck you, I used a save editor and gave myself the gear bits I want.

I cheated big time in Normal on D3 for PS4, because it was easy as hell. and a bunch of fun, but I didn't on Hardcore.

Depends on the game. Places in game that have such a high challenge where it detracts from the game and ends up making me frustrated are not something I enjoy in my gaming experiences. I'll cheat once I get frustrated, but I enjoy the challenge and sense of accomplishment....I just enjoy playing the game and experiencing the story more.

I cheated a lot in single-player games when I was younger to see everything and explore everything. Games like Doom 2 and WC2.

In later days, I've only cheated by botting, first in D3 after beating the game on Inferno because I considered it a trash game not worth playing anymore so could as well fuck with it. Also botted a little bit in Path of Exile, but only because a friend of mine (same who got me botting d3) started to and I didn't want him to catch up to me with bots since I was playing legally. Quit the game a few days later as it removed all the fun though.

7+ Year Old Account
    In single player I may cheat once just for giggles.

But cheating anywhere else? I would never do it. There is no fun in a victory you did not earn.

Never have done in online games ever. But done the occasional code on GTA Vice City or Sonic.

Wouldn't do it in a multiplayer game but I do in single player games that I'm playing mostly for the story. For example SC I did because I was just playing it for the story and was not a big fan of the game. That's about the only one I can think of lately.

Signature Created by Jassinta

Sometimes I cheat in single player games just for the fun of it or to save time at annoying parts. Never cheated in multiplayer games, but I perfectly understand why it can be fun for some people. Kinda like how it can be fun once in a while to play a dota game at low ass MMR.

The only multiplayer game ive cheated in is D2. That was maphack and botting. My botting life was short lived as I was already getting bored of the game at that point.

The only time I've ever cheated is in GTA games when playing by myself. I could never cheat in an online game playing with/against others.

Oh, D2 as well. I was young and my account was banned for it. I learned something that day.