WoW Boosting Communities Deleted from Discord
Today, several months after the Policy Update for Organized In-Game Services, a few boosting communities in Europe got their discord server deleted.

Servers affected by this include Dawn, Nova, Oblivion, Sylvanas and Twilight. The owners of these servers also had their Discord account suspended and received the following message: "Your account participated in selling, promoting, or distributing cheats, hacks, or cracked accounts."

According to multiple sources, this is not a mass report on the discord servers. This is more likely a follow-up from Blizzard's risk team since communities simply ignored the new policy update from January and continued to offer escrow services.


Remote FollowUnit Script to be Disabled in Dragonflight and Wrath Classic
Originally Posted by Blizzard (Blue Tracker / Official Forums)
So, Blizzard has recently issued heavy-handed anti-boosting measures. However, addons are still able to accept a remote /follow command from another player. This makes boosting services more attractive as boostees can then be fully AFK for a very long time. This is (or was) a common practice for boosting on Faerlina.

How this looks in practice: A booster advertises that they are doing slave pens boosts, and that they have the auto-follow weakaura. 1-4 boostees join, and then the booster shares a weakaura with them that will accept a remote /follow command. Now after they pay the booster they can just go AFK for 30 minutes, since the booster can just type a command in party chat and the boostee characters will automatically follow the booster out of an old instance ID and into a fresh one without them even being at the keyboard.

If the above doesn’t give you an idea of what this would look like, just look at the first 10 seconds of this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6voUtTiLz0

I don’t see how the ability to remotely issue a /follow command meaningfully benefits anyone except multiboxers and people selling a service that allows someone to AFK for exp/gear, and Blizzard have now shown that they don’t really appreciate either of these gameplay styles, so I’m wondering why it’s still in the game. While boosting has taken a heavy hit, there do appear to be some boosting options still available albeit not as accessible as before, so in my mind it makes sense to make whatever’s left as inconvenient as possible.


I reached out to our UI and accessibility teams and we’re investigating this.

In general, we agree that accessibility is important, but that doesn’t mean that every effort to stop automation or botting is an attack on accessibility. There are lots of game functions that the game requires a hardware event for, and it makes sense for /follow to be added to that list, based on the behavior Kruffzz suggested. We’re targeting that change for both Wrath of the Lich King Classic, and Dragonflight releases.

Before making decisions like this, we reach out to gamers with disabilities. To be clear, the change we’re planning will still allow a disabled player to follow a guide, including through the use of a Macro or UI Mod to issue the follow command. The behavior it prevents is for UI Mods to initiate a follow on their own based on receiving a message from another source, such as a message from another player.

Thanks for the suggestion, Kruffzz!
This article was originally published in forum thread: Boosting Communities Deleted from Discord, Remote FollowUnit Script to be Disabled started by Lumy View original post
Comments 250 Comments
  1. chaoticcrono's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Funkyjunky View Post
    It's not expressly authorized by Blizzard and grants you an advantage over other players not using such methods.
    In the EULA that's defined as cheating.
    they do it themselves so clearly it is.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Loveliest View Post
    You don't define the rules of what is or is not a cheat, the developer does. They don't want you going to an outside something to buy something ingame, they want the whole process to happen ingame.

    But what you're missing is that these "communities" are companies that sell the gold they gain to gold buyers for real money.
    cheating is against the rules but not every rule deals with cheating. its a specific thing.

    blizz can ban them for breaking the rules but they did not cheat.

    now if discord wants to ban people for breaking rules in games thats an issue in and of itself.

    and if thats the case they should just make a rule that outright says that a ban on another platform or game means a ban on discord.
  1. Funkyjunky's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by chaoticcrono View Post
    they do it themselves so clearly it is.
    Who are they? Blizzard as an entity is not an end user. Do you mean a person affiliated with blizzard? A person that sold boosts before the ToS was updated.

    Come on. If you want to argue this then you need to step up your game.
  1. Somic's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cæli View Post
    I'm not wrong, you're making up some imaginary situation where I said something that I didn't (again proven by what is written). the guy I quoted at first said blizzard can act against ANY websites. this was wrong. I then commented.

    you came at first convinced about that reality when in fact it wasn't the case...anyway.
    They can act against any website. I already explained to you how they can. What in the actual fuck aren’t you understanding? They can find out who they are and sue them if they wanted to.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by chaoticcrono View Post
    you're wrong though because boosting is ALLOWED. but even if it wasn't its not cheating, not anymore than buying an item off the ah is.

    cheating would be along the lines of using exploits or hacks, which isnt happening.

    if blizz thought it was cheating theyd ban it outright like actual cheats and hacks but they haven't.
    It’s clearly fucking not allowed and it is clearly cheating. Are you so dense that when blizzard themselves write in their rules “boosting with RMT is not allowed ”, you think it’s a smart thing to say “but boosting is allowed”. And also seeing discord specifically ban someone and say “you’re banned for cheating” you think it’s smart to say “they aren’t cheating”.

    How absolutely brain dead do you have to be in order to ignore the people who are literally making the rules and saying that they have their own rules wrong.
  1. chaoticcrono's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Funkyjunky View Post
    Who are they? Blizzard as an entity is not an end user. Do you mean a person affiliated with blizzard? A person that sold boosts before the ToS was updated.

    Come on. If you want to argue this then you need to step up your game.
    boosting is not against the rules, advertising them outside of the game is.

    I don't know if he still doesnt it or not and it doesnt really matter as its not against the rules to do so.

    that said im just repeating myself now so ill just let onlookers make up their own mind.

    at the end of the day imo discord shouldnt have messed with their accounts though it not really surprising with platforms trying to enforce bans across multiple platforms for an offense on one.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Somic View Post
    They can act against any website. I already explained to you how they can. What in the actual fuck aren’t you understanding? They can find out who they are and sue them if they wanted to.

    - - - Updated - - -



    It’s clearly fucking not allowed and it is clearly cheating. Are you so dense that when blizzard themselves write in their rules “boosting with RMT is not allowed ”, you think it’s a smart thing to say “but boosting is allowed”. And also seeing discord specifically ban someone and say “you’re banned for cheating” you think it’s smart to say “they aren’t cheating”.

    How absolutely brain dead do you have to be in order to ignore the people who are literally making the rules and saying that they have their own rules wrong.
    again breaking the rules does not mean that its cheating, but you dont care and youre just gonna call me dumb so theres no reason to continue.

    as for blizz contradicting their rules, well i guess its just rules for thee. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  1. rhorle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by chaoticcrono View Post
    well said, improving the quality of the game and actually making things fun again would definitely reduce boosts.
    Not really. People don't boost just because they aren't having fun or the game isn't engaging. They simply boost because they want to. People love to ascribe stuff to whatever thing they don't like about the current game instead of just being honest. Boosting happens because people want to do it and no amount of "fun and engaging" game design will stop it. Not to mention how nebulous fun and engaging is because it varies per person.
  1. Funkyjunky's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by chaoticcrono View Post
    boosting is not against the rules, advertising them outside of the game is.
    The rule is a bit more complicated. But feel free to dumb it down.
    Quote Originally Posted by chaoticcrono View Post
    I don't know if he still doesnt it or not and it doesnt really matter as its not against the rules to do so.
    You don't know? It doesn't matter? Why did you bring it up?
    I think it clearly demonstrates what you contributed to this discussion.
    Quote Originally Posted by chaoticcrono View Post

    that said im just repeating myself now so ill just let onlookers make up their own mind.

    at the end of the day imo discord shouldnt have messed with their accounts though it not really surprising with platforms trying to enforce bans across multiple platforms for an offense on one.
    I will repeat it again. Blizzards EULA defines it as cheating (same does a lot of dictionaries) - and somehow without any argumentation or additional info you say it's not
    Combined with RMT it's against Discords rules. It's not a new rule - and public statistics from Discord show it's a rule they have enforced for a long time.
  1. Quixef's Avatar
    These community Discords did NOT get banned because:

    - They were offering boosting services.
    - They were cheating.

    These were banned BECAUSE:

    - They were offering escrow services (i.e. organizing cross-realm boosts, specifically, transferring gold from buyers to boosters between realms)

    Hope this helped.
  1. Funkyjunky's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by chaoticcrono View Post

    as for blizz contradicting their rules, well i guess its just rules for thee. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Didn't you just say that you have no knowledge about that?
  1. rhorle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by chaoticcrono View Post
    again breaking the rules does not mean that its cheating, but you dont care and youre just gonna call me dumb so theres no reason to continue.
    It does mean it is cheating. You are just narrowing the definition to include or exclude the stuff you want to define it as. Discord doesn't have a specific definition so any general definition works and "against rules" or what another company defines as "against rules" would certainly fit. Boosting also fits the definition for Cheating Blizzard has in their own EULA.

    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Cheating: Create, use, offer, promote, advertise, make available and/or distribute the following or assist therein:
    1.cheats; i.e. methods not expressly authorized by Blizzard (whether accomplished using hardware, software, a combination thereof, or otherwise), influencing and/or facilitating gameplay, including exploits of any in-game bugs, and thereby granting you and/or any other user an advantage over other players not using such methods;
    It would also be covered under the prohibited commercial use as well. There is a reason why companies often have general or vague "anti-cheat" sections. It allows them to have a broad umbrella to take action against things they don't like regardless of semantics that some people argue about a "true" meaning of cheating.
  1. MoanaLisa's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Toppy View Post
    I mean, the devs themselves have been caught selling boosts. Multiple times.
    I don't see anyone here making a distinction between selling boosts directly for real money on discord or elsewhere (against the rules) and selling boosts for gold (not strictly against the rules). That's BS of the highest order. Blizzard is not taking a side on where the gold comes from (unless obtained illegally) but very much is taking a side against boost selling for real money.

    There's also the issue of guilds acting as escrow services for boosts which is very much against the rules.
  1. chaoticcrono's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    It does mean it is cheating. You are just narrowing the definition to include or exclude the stuff you want to define it as. Discord doesn't have a specific definition so any general definition works and "against rules" or what another company defines as "against rules" would certainly fit. Boosting also fits the definition for Cheating Blizzard has in their own EULA.

    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Cheating: Create, use, offer, promote, advertise, make available and/or distribute the following or assist therein:
    1.cheats; i.e. methods not expressly authorized by Blizzard (whether accomplished using hardware, software, a combination thereof, or otherwise), influencing and/or facilitating gameplay, including exploits of any in-game bugs, and thereby granting you and/or any other user an advantage over other players not using such methods;
    It would also be covered under the prohibited commercial use as well. There is a reason why companies often have general or vague "anti-cheat" sections. It allows them to have a broad umbrella to take action against things they don't like regardless of semantics that some people argue about a "true" meaning of cheating.
    ok yea im wrong, thats broad as fuck lol
  1. Somic's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by chaoticcrono View Post
    boosting is not against the rules, advertising them outside of the game is.

    I don't know if he still doesnt it or not and it doesnt really matter as its not against the rules to do so.

    that said im just repeating myself now so ill just let onlookers make up their own mind.

    at the end of the day imo discord shouldnt have messed with their accounts though it not really surprising with platforms trying to enforce bans across multiple platforms for an offense on one.

    - - - Updated - - -



    again breaking the rules does not mean that its cheating, but you dont care and youre just gonna call me dumb so theres no reason to continue.

    as for blizz contradicting their rules, well i guess its just rules for thee. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    You are 100% right, I am going to say you’re wrong and I am going to call you dumb because they specifically said it was. So it is. So you’re wrong. There’s nothing more to it. The fact that you still hold this opinion absolutely baffles me.
  1. chaoticcrono's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Somic View Post
    You are 100% right, I am going to say you’re wrong and I am going to call you dumb because they specifically said it was. So it is. So you’re wrong. There’s nothing more to it. The fact that you still hold this opinion absolutely baffles me.
    yep im wrong, rhole communicated it in a better way.
  1. Zenfoldor's Avatar
    So I guess the companies are teaming up to apply the social contract now. If all companies adopted the same terms for service, we would have a social scoring system required to purchase items. The people selling the items create the system. IMO that would be bad.

    If the grocery store finds out you use those bananas on a pizza, you’re permabanned.

    For me, hard to say wow is worth it anymore, lots of crap to put up with.

    As far as discord, I would think the World of Warcraft stigmatized software would want to appear agnostic, considering how limiting World of Warcraft is nowadays. but apparently not.
  1. Somic's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by chaoticcrono View Post
    yep im wrong, rhole communicated it in a better way.
    I literally fucking linked you the exact same thing he did, you just had to click on a link instead of embedding it for you like you’re 5.
  1. chaoticcrono's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Somic View Post
    I literally fucking linked you the exact same thing he did, you just had to click on a link instead of embedding it for you like you’re 5.
    youre bad at communicating. being snarky and insulting doesnt tend to get through to people.
  1. Accendor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Abysmo3420 View Post
    You realize blizzard has to ability to do this with any website or service that uses their content? Its the reason twitch bans streamers from private servers and YouTube must take down private server videos if they request a copystrike. Just because its on a discord server doesn't allow discord to not follow blizzard rules. Its blizzard's content that they allow to be used by third party platforms.
    Doesn't change my argument
  1. Somic's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by chaoticcrono View Post
    youre bad at communicating. being snarky and insulting doesnt tend to get through to people.
    I don’t care if it hurts your feelings if I’m being snarky, quit saying dumb stuff and people won’t say snarky stuff to you. Don’t blame others for your actions.
  1. chaoticcrono's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Somic View Post
    I don’t care if it hurts your feelings if I’m being snarky, quit saying dumb stuff and people won’t say snarky stuff to you. Don’t blame others for your actions.
    i never said it hurt my feelings, your combative attitude doesnt help the situation.

    i'm human, i make mistakes just like everyone else and putting me down for it isnt gonna help set me straight. If someone is just gonna insult me im much less likely to take what they say seriously and will be much more dismissive of them because people who are just gonna insult me arent really worthy of consideration.
  1. Alcsaar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SinR View Post
    Well that's interesting. Surprised Discord stepped in and did anything.
    Discord has been very much aggressive about banning any servers that prelude to illegal (or TOS breaking) things. For example they're particularly aggresive about banning discord servers that revolve around hacking/botting in games.

Site Navigation