Page 27 of 34 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevyne-Shandris View Post
    Ever played Asian MMOs? Even click to move is there.
    WoW has click-to-move option, too. I couldn't play that way but that's still at least parallel to the idea of mouse movement so the other hand is free for keybinds. It's cumbersome, but I don't think it's that weird.

Quote Originally Posted by Hammerofpope View Post
    I'm saying I click on everything. It doesn't prevent me from performing better by clicking because I have the location of everything I need to click memorized on my monitor.
    Ah okay. I wasn't judging performance, I was just curious. I think even if I was a clicker, I'd have to at least have my top 3-4 movies keybound so I could still move the camera around when I played. But I've got a compulsive need to fiddle with the camera all the time

I guess part of me just kinda assumes that even clickers still spam a key for their main nukes, even if they click almost everything else. It seems challenging to click everything.

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |

Quote Originally Posted by Hammerofpope View Post
    As does mine. I never knew people who clicked were looked down on so much by "superior" players who just know everything there is to know.
    It's not a question of being a "superior" player. If anything, as a clicker you're working FAR harder than someone who keybinds to maintain a given level of performance. The kb player can focus on his screen more, worry less about mouse hand accuracy, etc. As someone who clicked for about the first 6-8 months of playing this game, and then gradually switched over, anyone who clicks is flat out putting themselves at a disadvantage in every single way.

Aside from the muscle memory thing, keybinding can also enable doing several things simultaneously. Kiting one target, while switching to another to get a wyvern sting off, or place a trap where you want it, becomes unbelievably awkward as a clicker. Running, throwing a disengage and a shot without changing direction, also exceedingly difficult (if not impossible to do with complete consistency). These aren't moves that you'd need to use on a daily basis, but they certainly are usable in more situations than you might think.

If you keybind non GCD tasks as well (mounts, etc), that's also effectively one less button you need on the screen. Which reduces clutter, and therefore simplifying what you're focusing on as a player. A small detail certainly, but the small details add up.

I'm giving my opinion on this from a dps point of view. I do realize that the story changes quite a bit for healers, for example. Your play WILL improve if you keybind, period. Whether you're motivated or feel some need to improve is another topic altogether, not everyone plays the same way of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Voyager View Post
    You're not supposed to dps during attenuation, you're supposed to run with the pattern, so that you don't get hit.

You know you can easily do both and should.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

There's hardly an argument to be made for clicking. The closest thing I could think of to being a positive would be it's easier to learn the game since it's less you need to memorize starting off. However, this actually makes the game harder in the long run since there are some very stubborn people out there. Some people say "if it isn't broke, why fix it?" Because you're throttling your potential, which is fine if it's not a priority for that person. When people try and fool themselves by thinking they're the exception to clicking being worse is what upsets me. Building muscle memory for keybinds doesn't happen over night, but if someone dedicates the few days or week to getting the feel down, they're not only making themself a better wow player but a better gamer.

I keybind literally everything in the game and only have a 5 button mouse. I do this with macros. Some examples:
    * An ability I only use in combat will mount me out of combat
    * I combine my Healthstone with Deterrence
    * The same button for Feign Death also makes me eat when out of combat (great for PvP)
    * My macro for pet PvP abilities like Bad Habit (monkey stun) or spider Webbing also has "/click ExtraActionButton1" which is the big special raid button that sometimes appears

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kojinshugi View Post
    It's beyond easy. Your left hand fingers are on the WASD home position, and your thumb is on space. Index finger moves one space to the right, thumb moves one space to the left.
    It isn't when you don't use WASD keys for movement.

Folks talking about "Oh, you don't want to keybind as you're not used to it!" fail to see that others adapted to other methods of movement, and not having to play like it's 2000 again. It's been almost 10 years since I used the WASD keys on the keyboard in the first place, as keyboarding like that is clunky.

ALT+F is as foreign as CTLR+SHIFT+7, and as clunky. It's a setup of people used to their habits.

---------- Post added 2012-12-04 at 06:19 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    It's not a question of being a "superior" player. If anything, as a clicker you're working FAR harder than someone who keybinds to maintain a given level of performance.
    Then folks wonder why those who can do it claim keybinders are lazier, and the next thing they want is a I WIN button?

We already have enough players defending bots as it is.
    From the #1 Cata review on Amazon.com: "Blizzard's greatest misstep was blaming players instead of admitting their mistakes.
    They've convinced half of the population that the other half are unskilled whiners, causing a permanent rift in the community."

As a warrior I key bind abilities like HS, Wild Strike, Pummel (on every character with a kick I always put it on 2 for some reason), Charge, Heroic Leap (I used to click this, but that is just something nobody should do, especially with how often heroic leap fails) Beserker Rage and Whirlwind.

I click everything else because I can only comfortably reach up to the 5 Key, and I cant be bothered to do the others as it is no issue to my performance at all. All other abilities warriors use constantly that arent binded I have near the end of the bar with my Cooldowns right above it so I don't have to move my mouse much.

I just have more fun clicking than I did when I spent a good few months using key binds. Sure its overall more work but keybinding just puts me to sleep because all I would have to look for would be the bosses ass the entire fight. And seeing as how it doesn't effect my performance I don't see an issue. Some are just like me who prefer to click, and after doing it for years its just natural movements to me, even on heavy movement fights it doesn't raise any issues at all for me.

Granted I do use keybinds in other games like DOTA 2, SC2 and what not but with WoW its just so many abilities that its not really comfortable to keybind em all.

ALT+F is easy to reach without looking?

BS, and you know it.
    It's actually funny - that's a keybind for a program I use at work, not even one I use in game. I mostly use shift + x, which gives me a whole other set of 1 to = and F1 to F12. Anyway, I probably use ALT+F a couple dozen times per day at work, and it's felt natural since day 1. ALT is left thumb & F is left index finger.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    It's not a question of being a "superior" player. If anything, as a clicker you're working FAR harder than someone who keybinds to maintain a given level of performance. The kb player can focus on his screen more, worry less about mouse hand accuracy, etc. As someone who clicked for about the first 6-8 months of playing this game, and then gradually switched over, anyone who clicks is flat out putting themselves at a disadvantage in every single way.

Aside from the muscle memory thing, keybinding can also enable doing several things simultaneously. Kiting one target, while switching to another to get a wyvern sting off, or place a trap where you want it, becomes unbelievably awkward as a clicker. Running, throwing a disengage and a shot without changing direction, also exceedingly difficult (if not impossible to do with complete consistency). These aren't moves that you'd need to use on a daily basis, but they certainly are usable in more situations than you might think.

If you keybind non GCD tasks as well (mounts, etc), that's also effectively one less button you need on the screen. Which reduces clutter, and therefore simplifying what you're focusing on as a player. A small detail certainly, but the small details add up.

I'm giving my opinion on this from a dps point of view. I do realize that the story changes quite a bit for healers, for example. Your play WILL improve if you keybind, period. Whether you're motivated or feel some need to improve is another topic altogether, not everyone plays the same way of course.
    Oh I know, I wasn't calling you out by any means. I just get the feeling that some people who replied feel they are indeed superior due to their play style. To each their own for sure. It's just how I learned to play and what I'm best with.

Deleted
    It isn't when you don't use WASD keys for movement.

Folks talking about "Oh, you don't want to keybind as you're not used to it!" fail to see that others adapted to other methods of movement, and not having to play like it's 2000 again. It's been almost 10 years since I used the WASD keys on the keyboard in the first place, as keyboarding like that is clunky.

ALT+F is as foreign as CTLR+SHIFT+7, and as clunky. It's a setup of people used to their habits.

---------- Post added 2012-12-04 at 06:19 PM ----------

Then folks wonder why those who can do it claim keybinders are lazier, and the next thing they want is a I WIN button?

We already have enough players defending bots as it is.
    First part of your post makes no sense do you not use any buttons on the keyboard to move? So you click your spells and mouse move meaning no activity while moving or standing in fire while clicking abilities?

Most keybinders will use non modified keys for there main rotation then then move onto shift, ctrl, and alt binds for less used abilities, picking a modifier that's easy for them to reach with there keyborad and hand size.

CTLR+SHIFT+7 this again...... using such an absurd example just makes you look silly, no one with average sized hands will use or need that kind of bind during combat.

Folks talking about "Oh, you don't want to keybind as you're not used to it!" fail to see that others adapted to other methods of movement
    ..adapted to other methods of movement... sooo you're not used to it.

It's been almost 10 years since I used the WASD keys on the keyboard in the first place, as keyboarding like that is clunky.
    It only feels clunky to you because you're not used to it and are making excuses for yourself. My first couple years playing WoW was with the arrow keys (something I carried over from Age of Empires II) and WASD is worlds better. ESDF could possibly be even better than that.

That's not even a fair comparison. ALT+F can effortlessly be done with 1 hand (perhaps not by you but for others) while CTLR+SHIFT+7 either requires both hands or is a hell of a stretch.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gniral View Post
    ehm positives about clicking... being able to play with a hand tied on your back i suppose?
    I always play one handed...

10+ Year Old Account
    You didn't need to by defending the claim in the first place.

Not winning that argument at all, as it's patently untrue (you will never get a list of most raid bosses having 10 to 20 minute enrage timers...and you know it).

---------- Post added 2012-12-04 at 05:57 PM ----------

No, it's just a preference. I prefer it because it's tactical.
    Nothing tactical about it. You click because you never got used to keybinding so can't see how drastic the difference. You will absolutely never hear someone say 'they learned how to keybind correctly and got used to it and went back to clicking due to anything other than just being lazy, knowing that binding was obviously better.

Let's be honestly, almost all of us who have been gaming for a long time clicked and none of us knew how insanely bad it was until we finally made ourselves switch.

I prefer it because it's tactical.
    tac·ti·cal/ˈtæk tɪ kəl/ [tak-ti-kuh l]
    adjective
    1. of or pertaining to tactics, especially military or naval tactics.
    2. characterized by skillful tactics or adroit maneuvering or procedure: tactical movements.
    3. of or pertaining to a maneuver or plan of action designed as an expedient toward gaining a desired end or temporary advantage.
    4. expedient; calculated.
    5. prudent; politic.
    Clicking is the opposite of tactical.
    <WHAR LEWTS PLZ HALp>
    I'm bitter by default. Don't take it personally.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stir View Post
    Either give an argument, or be automatically wrong. Your choice.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Firecrest View Post
    Clicking is the opposite of tactical.
    It's v-e-r-y tactical.

Keybinding is a lazy way to play, by people who can't click fast enough.
    From the #1 Cata review on Amazon.com: "Blizzard's greatest misstep was blaming players instead of admitting their mistakes.
    They've convinced half of the population that the other half are unskilled whiners, causing a permanent rift in the community."

10+ Year Old Account
    It's v-e-r-y tactical.

Keybinding is a lazy way to play, by people who can't click fast enough.
    I can't imagine this post is serious. It takes 2 seconds to think about a fight, consider all the abilities you need to use and mechanics of the fight, and see how clicking is laughably bad compared to binding.

Do you think healers need to put up friendly bars and click around the raid to heal too since any other way is lazy and bad?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Myrrar View Post
    Nothing tactical about it. You click because you never got used to keybinding so can't see how drastic the difference.
    No, I click as a preference, a v-e-r-y tactical, preference.

The problem here is you can't accept the difference, and try to define how I play...which isn't your way.

I already posted that I've used keybinds, but it's not my preference...and never will be. It's a boring way to play in a game getting more boring each patch, that clicking actively is about what keeps me awake.

ZZZzzzZZZ

---------- Post added 2012-12-04 at 07:19 PM ----------

I can't imagine this post is serious.
    You can't imagine it because you're locked in your own preferences.

How about letting others play their way, not being a dictator and trying to claim what they're not?

10+ Year Old Account
    No, I click as a preference, a v-e-r-y tactical, preference.

The problem here is you can't accept the difference, and try to define how I play...which isn't your way.

I already posted that I've used keybinds, but it's not my preference...and never will be. It's a boring way to play in a game getting more boring each patch, that clicking actively is about what keeps me awake.

ZZZzzzZZZ
    There is a difference between people saying 'I like to play this way' and 'this way is better'.

If you want to claim clicking is more fun to you that's fine. But....that's about the only thing it is. I'm not sure tactical means what you think it means if you think clicking icons is more tactical than keybinding.

Quote Originally Posted by Taiphon View Post
    No.

After a switch from clicking to keybinds there is a transition-period where you'll perform worse than before. For some people that period lasts longer than for others, it can be smoothed, etc, but the fact is that switching to keybinds will initially hurt your performance.

Is that worth it? Depends how much time/effort you invest in the game - how casual you are.

My ilvl is 453, after hitting 90 in less than a week, so you can imagine how rarely I do a dungeon - and can't even get into LFR. I have everything keybound, but if I were a clicker, it would make no sense for me to switch.
    I thought that was implied, seeing as how you can't start something new and be automatically be good at it. Given the effort though to really try and keybind i'm pretty sure everyone will come to find it's better, that was the way it was for all of my friends too.

10+ Year Old Account
    There is a difference between people saying 'I like to play this way' and 'this way is better'.

If you want to claim clicking is more fun to you that's fine. But....that's about the only thing it is. I'm not sure tactical means what you think it means if you think clicking icons is more tactical than keybinding.
    Again, that's YOUR definition for defending YOUR preference.

YOU can't get over it's tactical due to bias, because the premise to YOU is keybinding is more tactical -- it isn't. It's the next step towards automation where toons are but bots.

Some people are better at clicking as that's something they really prefer, and yes, it's much more fun (more so taking down someone with 80 keybinds!).

10+ Year Old Account
    According to your armory, you've not cleared any current raid content besides Sha of Anger (which btw isn't really content considering people 40-man it and run back to their corpses multiple times over and over during the course of the fight). So what content are you participating in that's "so ZZZzzzzzZZZ easy"? Because heroic instances have not been hard whatsoever even since launch. I'm curious here, really. But then again, I'm trying to make sense of someone who is claiming they choose to "purposely" (which I think you're probably just bad at binds) cripple their own performance in order to make the game "more interesting"? Lost cause.

brb farming herbs with one hand. Cause this game is sooooo EZ MODE.
    Look! Words!